Deaf Awareness

Wirelessly posted

jillio said:
Wirelessly posted

The acceptance and inclusion of Deaf Culture should always be an individual choice ; rather a personal decision based on the person's experiences. Now there will always be some people that feel the need to shove Deaf Culture into newcomers's throats for reasons they will not reveal but you can already see. Their transparent needs to force some people to conform so quickly without allowing breathing room and thinking room usually are those who get involved with the community for the very wrong reasons in the first place. I have both hearing and Deaf friends that just chooses not to be involved in the Deaf socials and I respect them because that's their personal decision. The Deaf Culture/Community does not make the Deaf person; it is who he/she is on a 24/7 basis.

Around here, newcomers don't get Deaf Culture shoved in their throats. They get their questions answered and they get their mistakes in perception corrected. It is unfortunate, indeed, that some refuse to accept the answers they are given and continue to insult and question the very existence of a culture that so many here value as an integral and important part of their life. No one here is forced to embrace Deaf Culture. However, it is requested that, if it is not an interest for them, that they refrain from making insulting and degrading remarks regarding the topic. That is not too much to ask. Consideration goes two ways. If they show consideration for those that do embrace the culture, then they are given consideration in return. If consideration is absent, then the naysayer cannot expect to be treated with consideration.

This is where I disagree about not extending the naysayers consideration; one attracts more with honey than with vinegar, aye? I wish I can type longer but Mosey the cat is pulling a deaf cat act on me now, pawing on my hands and biting the pager! He wants attention like now!

Wirelessly posted

This is where I disagree about not extending the naysayers consideration; one attracts more with honey than with vinegar, aye? I wish I can type longer but Mosey the cat is pulling a deaf cat act on me now, pawing on my hands and biting the pager! He wants attention like now!

I see your point. How long, however, is one obliged to extend consideration when it has become obvious that consideration is not appreciated nor returned?

Those cats can be insistent. You are her person.

Mrs Bucket- Prof SKY sends Mosey a meow. Again more wise words to read.
Seems the article in Atlantic Monthly-Sept/93-Deafness as Culture Edward Dolnick pages 37/53 was prescient. To date not actually effected -apparently from Heather Marsden article-Deaf Militants in 1998.

Implanted A B Harmony activated Aug/07

Wirelessly posted

Jillio- it is always a personal choice for each person on how long they wish to extend their kindness. I respect your approach as much as you respect mine. We both mutually agree that it is always best to agree to disagree and leave a heated subject alone if it goes nowhere only to bring grief & headaches. For some people I will extend my kindness and when they abuse it I let them know my feelings as I invest a lot into my Culture and my Community. I also tell them I dont force it into their throats so they should appreciate the neutrality they receive from me. drphil, both Mosey and Hannah send big loud purrs to Prof SKY!

Back