deaf 2 years old kids wear CI

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's right, rejoice in the fact that you have an opinion no matter how incorrect or invalid or prejudicial it is, the important thing is that you have an opinion.

Sorry, but I do not genuflect at the almighty altar of merely possessing an opinion but reserve my right to question and/or challenge those opinions that are based on ignorance and/or prejudice such as those expressed by the OP.

She is a newbie to AllDeaf, so is it okay to beat her up after everything, huh?

I don't think that every parent much provide every option, but I want to. That is why we choose to use all kind of communication methods, from pictures, to ASL, to spoken and written English. We have even had a SLP ask if we wanted to use "visual phonics".
Like I said, I felt like I needed to be able to say to my daughter that I gave her everything. Others, don't.

Would you provide your child with an option even if you determined it was not in her best interests? Also, there comes a point where you as the parent has to choose between options. For example, you cannot have your child simultaneously enrolled in both a school for the Deaf that focuses on manual instruction and a mainstream classroom focusing primarily on oral instruction. At some point, decisions have to be made and options no longer provided.
Rick

Yea, no shit! Jebus..they complain about us beating them up but yet they do the same to someone who holds a different belief even if it is incaccurate in some ways. Come on!

Well, how you feel if hearing and deaf switch, Manyyy more deaf than hearing in the world, and would u want them to break hearing kids' hear so they can't hear anything to be like us. And follow what we have..Signs..no oral. Only ASL way. It's just like insult me. when you think kids must be same as you and other hearing people, must be oral only.

Actually, you are insulting me. My daughter uses ASL as her language. She is in a Deaf school and has only Deaf friends. I have posted several times that I do NOT believe that oral only is right. I never said that I want my daughter to be like me, I said that I am giving her a device that is stronger than her hearing aids. And since you decided to sling mud at me, MY daughter was born hearing and has slowly lost her hearing because of a bad doctor who nearly killed her. She struggled back against a more than 90% chance of death to be the strong fighter she is today. We are a part of the Deaf community, my daughter is DEAF PROUD, and the thing on her ear will never change that, and neither will close minded people who insult CI users.

(And this time I was mad)

somebody tells me why rick48 isn't banned yet for trolling... :roll:

Perhaps you should ask the same question of yourself.

But if you feel that way, go ahead and report me.

She may be new but she has already bashed those who chose cis for their children and then proceeded to bring religion into the discussion. I think she is doing a very good job of giving herself a self-inflicted bashing.

Actually, you are insulting me. My daughter uses ASL as her language. She is in a Deaf school and has only Deaf friends. I have posted several times that I do NOT believe that oral only is right. I never said that I want my daughter to be like me, I said that I am giving her a device that is stronger than her hearing aids. And since you decided to sling mud at me, MY daughter was born hearing and has slowly lost her hearing because of a bad doctor who nearly killed her. She struggled back against a more than 90% chance of death to be the strong fighter she is today. We are a part of the Deaf community, my daughter is DEAF PROUD, and the thing on her ear will never change that, and neither will close minded people who insult CI users.

The OP wasnt referring to you..just asking a theoritical question. She feels insulted by those IRL not by the parents on AD because she doesnt even know any of us or our views so how can she insult you when she made that post?

Would you provide your child with an option even if you determined it was not in her best interests? Also, there comes a point where you as the parent has to choose between options. For example, you cannot have your child simultaneously enrolled in both a school for the Deaf that focuses on manual instruction and a mainstream classroom focusing primarily on oral instruction. At some point, decisions have to be made and options no longer provided.
Rick

Actually, I now children who do half time in both schools! But that is beside the point. If there comes a point where I must make those sorts of decisions, I am glad she is old enough to give input. I am glad I never had to make the decision about very early implantation for my child. I have no idea how agonizing that must be.

The OP wasnt referring to you..just asking a theoritical question. She feels insulted by those IRL not by the parents on AD because she doesnt even know any of us or our views so how can she insult you when she made that post?

If it wasn't directed at me than why was I in quotes, and she said "You" in reference to hearing people?

Yea, no shit! Jebus..they complain about us beating them up but yet they do the same to someone who holds a different belief even if it is incaccurate in some ways. Come on!
Oh, definitely. "Come on!" is right. Its just so pointless and pathetic.. =/

My daughter's hair is already growing back, I have no idea why a grown man would have a bald spot from a CI surgery.

As for stopping using the CI. It is possible that in the future my child could chose to take off her speech processor and never use the CI again, and I am fine with that. I gave her the option. I gave her that choice. I did everything to give her as much as I could. Children who don't get CI's don't get that option. I wanted to be able to look my child in the face when she was grown and be able to say "I gave you everything there was to help you succeed" and if I hadn't doen the implant, I couldn't say that to her.

Just my 2 cents, take it or leave it.

ok got it. sorry.

Perhaps you should ask the same question of yourself.

But if you feel that way, go ahead and report me.

Don't pay no attention to him, don't go down to his level. ok? ;)

Actually, I now children who do half time in both schools! But that is beside the point. If there comes a point where I must make those sorts of decisions, I am glad she is old enough to give input. I am glad I never had to make the decision about very early implantation for my child. I have no idea how agonizing that must be.

And I know children who do the same too. The problem with some posters is that they think it is either ASL or oral and that it is impossible to do both when it is totally false. That's where the problems start..with people who hold those kinds of views. I know u dont hold them and I dont either and we seem to hold the same views that a deaf child with a CI can be successful in both and it is apparent we have witnessed the same thing.

If it wasn't directed at me than why was I in quotes, and she said "You" in reference to hearing people?

Because I have made that same error with the word "you" when I was a newbie to AD , I have a feeling that she wasnt directing her post at you, literally but as to the hearing people in her life.

She may be new but she has already bashed those who chose cis for their children and then proceeded to bring religion into the discussion. I think she is doing a very good job of giving herself a self-inflicted bashing.

Apparently, you don't care and, seemingly, you just don't mind at all.

Great. =/

That's right, rejoice in the fact that you have an opinion no matter how incorrect or invalid or prejudicial it is, the important thing is that you have an opinion.

Sorry, but I do not genuflect at the almighty altar of merely possessing an opinion but reserve my right to question and/or challenge those opinions that are based on ignorance and/or prejudice such as those expressed by the OP.

People also have the option of ignoring offending posts. I don't get why CI recipients and parents thereof feel the need to defend getting a CI as a knee-jerk reaction; especially on a forum that is so heavily populated with culturally deafened people. The oralist on this forum have shot them (and people like me or support the use of sign) down time and time again; yet they feel this need to defend themselves. If the signing deaf on this forum aren't worth your time, why the heck do you bother with trying to defend yourselves and get SO bent out of shape when someone ruffles your feathers?

People also have the option of ignoring offending posts. I don't get why CI recipients and parents thereof feel the need to defend getting a CI as a knee-jerk reaction; especially on a forum that is so heavily populated with culturally deafened people. The oralist on this forum have shot them (and people like me or support the use of sign) down time and time again; yet they feel this need to defend themselves. If the signing deaf on this forum aren't worth your time, why the heck do you bother with trying to defend yourselves and get SO bent out of shape when someone ruffles your feathers?

Yea...it is like I said before...JEBUS!! If they dont give a f**ck about us, why do they keep coming here and bashing us for having the views we hold? Some insecurity on their part or what? I got bashed for being deaf by hearing people in real life...now they are getting a taste of what deaf people go thru and it is NOT pretty, isnt it? Tough s**t!

Melissa, just ignore this thread. They don't care and keep bashing you up, so try visit other threads.

I think u can visit the general chat section so they can help you out. How about that?

But I think you need to send a via PM to mods and make a desicion: asking to remove pointless posts or lock it up. :)

Don't worry about this thread or they who are against your belief. :hug:

I think you get the point I was making about having to make decisions at some point in time. As for early implantation, it was a decision that was not easily or lightly made and virtually every parent I know who has made that decision did not do so lightly but only after careful consideration. However, after having made the decision I can tell you it was the best one we ever made.

To constantly attack parents who have made that decision to implant and to assign reasons and values to their decision that are so contrary to the ones that actually comprise those decisions is one that still evokes a passionate response from me as you might have noticed.
Rick

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back