deaf 2 years old kids wear CI

Status
Not open for further replies.
My daughter's hair is already growing back, I have no idea why a grown man would have a bald spot from a CI surgery.

As for stopping using the CI. It is possible that in the future my child could chose to take off her speech processor and never use the CI again, and I am fine with that. I gave her the option. I gave her that choice. I did everything to give her as much as I could. Children who don't get CI's don't get that option. I wanted to be able to look my child in the face when she was grown and be able to say "I gave you everything there was to help you succeed" and if I hadn't doen the implant, I couldn't say that to her.

Just my 2 cents, take it or leave it.

The thing is there are many of us, deaf people, who dont have CIs who are living happy productive lives without the CIs. I think the OP sees it that way hence the differing views she and many others hold from you and the others who took offense to her post.

By telling the next generation of deaf people while they are growing up, they didnt have all the opportunities given if they didnt recieve a CI is going to definitely give them the impression that they cant function without the CIs when many many generations before could when given the holistic approach. That's how I see it so take it or leave it.

The thing is there are many of us, deaf people, who dont have CIs who are living happy productive lives without the CIs. I think the OP sees it that way hence the differing views she and many others hold from you and the others who took offense to her post.

By telling the next generation of deaf people while they are growing up, they didnt have all the opportunities given if they didnt recieve a CI is going to definitely give them the impression that they cant function without the CIs when many many generations before could when given the holistic approach. That's how I see it so take it or leave it.

I never said can't function, or can't succeed. I said I would give her all the tools and opportunities. If a child who is eligible for a CI isn't given one, they are, truthfully, not given everything. There is another option that they were not given. Right or wrong, that is a fact. They had the opportunity for another option, and it was not given to them.

I never said can't function, or can't succeed. I said I would give her all the tools and opportunities. If a child who is eligible for a CI isn't given one, they are, truthfully, not given everything. There is another option that they were not given. Right or wrong, that is a fact. They had the opportunity for another option, and it was not given to them.

Not you but the general public who holds that view...

Someone from my hubby's job told me that I should get a CI to improve myself at one work-related picnic a few years ago. It made me want to lash out but I knew it wouldnt do anyone any good so I told her that she has no idea what she is talking about and to pls do some research before making a comment like that to any deaf people in the future.

Oh I can ask them to lock this up? I didn't know. I tried to find where to delete this entry. Or edit my first story on post before more people coming in here and yell at me. I feel like I cannot tell them anything more. Or hard to express my feeling in here to people. I tried to not tell people more things of my opinion or my feeling.

Aww I'm so sorry that they mocked you.. Ath the least, you have more than 70 posts so you are able to PM a mod. (Look at upper left, click on "praitve message".)

Mods are Jolie77, Vampy, ~SG~, Gold, and Alex.

I just don't understand how come it is okay to bash a newbie ADer who wanted the help. Sighs. =/

Not you but the general public who holds that view...

Someone from my hubby's job told me that I should get a CI to improve myself at one work-related picnic a few years ago. It made me want to lash out but I knew it wouldnt do anyone any good so I told her that she has no idea what she is talking about and to pls do some research before making a comment like that to any deaf people in the future.

So, why do you think that the general public believes that CI users are more "successful" than aid users? What contributes to that? I had never met a deaf person before my own child was born, and I certainly had never heard of CI's.

So, why do you think that the general public believes that CI users are more "successful" than aid users? What contributes to that? I had never met a deaf person before my own child was born, and I certainly had never heard of CI's.

U are a hearing person..u probably would have a better idea than I do since I lived my life as a deaf person and I wouldnt know the hearing view. All it seems to me is that their view is always better according to them and my view is that, it doesnt have to be that way.

faire jour,

I do not go as far as you on this one, I believe that, given the long established history of successfully implanted children over the past quarter of a century coupled with the personal experiences of those who have been implanted as well as the research demonstrating the benefits of implanting a child as early as possible after the onset of deafness, every parent of a deaf child today should seriously consider and research the ci for their child.

I would still defer to the decision of any parent who has done their reserach that comes to the conclusion that the cochlear implant is not in the best interests of their child.

I think parents should consider every option available but parents are not obligated to provide every option, only those that are in their child's best interests as they have determined them.
Rick

Aww I'm so sorry that they mocked you.. Ath the least, you have more than 70 posts so you are able to PM a mod. (Look at upper left, click on "praitve message".)

Mods are Jolie77, Vampy, ~SG~, Gold, and Alex.

I just don't understand how come it is okay to bash a newbie ADer who wanted the help. Sighs. =/

I suggested that she PM the mods to have the offending posts removed so we can continue with her thread in a more productive way and make it about her not about the ProCI supporters. What do you think?

Yeah.. I saw the same thing too. I grew up so much different, so.. That's why they don't understand Melika's lifestyle and her POV too. =/

Yeah.. I saw the same thing too. I grew up so much different, so.. That's why they don't understand Melika's lifestyle and her POV too. =/

:cheers: It is all about cultural differences.

faire jour,

I do not go as far as you on this one, I believe that, given the long established history of successfully implanted children over the past quarter of a century coupled with the personal experiences of those who have been implanted as well as the research demonstrating the benefits of implanting a child as early as possible after the onset of deafness, every parent of a deaf child today should seriously consider and research the ci for their child.

I would still defer to the decision of any parent who has done their reserach that comes to the conclusion that the cochlear implant is not in the best interests of their child.

I think parents should consider every option available but parents are not obligated to provide every option, only those that are in their child's best interests as they have determined them.
Rick

I don't think that every parent much provide every option, but I want to. That is why we choose to use all kind of communication methods, from pictures, to ASL, to spoken and written English. We have even had a SLP ask if we wanted to use "visual phonics".
Like I said, I felt like I needed to be able to say to my daughter that I gave her everything. Others, don't.

I suggested that she PM the mods to have the offending posts removed so we can continue with her thread in a more productive way and make it about her not about the ProCI supporters. What do you think?

Sound good. Its up to her. :)

I'm "pro-ci" and I gave lots of advice about things she could do. (See my post about playgroups and CODAs above)

I'm "pro-ci" and I gave lots of advice about things she could do. (See my post about playgroups and CODAs above)

I see that ...just talking about those who bashed her and not even offer her any suggestions. Just made the thread about them when it was about her. I am sure she is appreciative of your suggestions but I wasnt thinking of you when I made that post to her.

Dont worry about what Rick tells you. U are entitled to your opinions and beliefs just like he is. Dont feel bad for believing in what you believe in.

That's right, rejoice in the fact that you have an opinion no matter how incorrect or invalid or prejudicial it is, the important thing is that you have an opinion.

Sorry, but I do not genuflect at the almighty altar of merely possessing an opinion but reserve my right to question and/or challenge those opinions that are based on ignorance and/or prejudice such as those expressed by the OP.

I think ASL is beautiful. I think that God made my daughter Deaf for a reason. I believe that CI's are a tool, just like a hearing aid. It doesn't "fix" a Deaf person. My daughter will always be Deaf. The only difference between her now and her a months ago is what we put on her ears in the morning. Why are aids ok, but CI's are going against God?

Well, how you feel if hearing and deaf switch, Manyyy more deaf than hearing in the world, and would u want them to break hearing kids' hear so they can't hear anything to be like us. And follow what we have..Signs..no oral. Only ASL way. It's just like insult me. when you think kids must be same as you and other hearing people, must be oral only.

somebody tells me why rick48 isn't banned yet for trolling... :roll:

Well, how you feel if hearing and deaf switch, Manyyy more deaf than hearing in the world, and would u want them to break hearing kids' hear so they can't hear anything to be like us. And follow what we have..Signs..no oral. Only ASL way. It's just like insult me. when you think kids must be same as you and other hearing people, must be oral only.

:gpost: and I can fully understand that as a former oral deaf person myself. I was raised to fit in the hearing world without any consideration for my deaf needs or idenitity.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back