CyberRed - Questions!!!

yaya we would have tons of fun.. is it expensive to go there? :eek2:

Sweetheart said:
Sure! It will be FUUUUUUUUUUUN! :fruit:

Moondancer said:
Yes ure right. Am I right, cybered? Heh. I'm learning more about the alaska's culture

Yes, you are right. Next time when you come up to see me, I will tour you in downtown Juneau. You will find alot of interestin' things. There's one place called " The Russian House ". I will take you there, too. :)

Sweetheart said:
It's pretty interesting, CyberRed!

I would love to visit in Alaska! :thumb:

Thanks. You both are more than welcome to come up and visit anytime. I believe there's a ferry in Bellingham, WA. It will take about 3 1/2 days to arrive in Juneau from Bellingham. Durin' that trip, you both can take lots of pics. I did it the same thing back in 2002. FYI, ferry is more fun than flyin'. :D

farewell65 said:
Wow, electricly billing must be higher price in the weather? Cuz have to use light most of time?

Well, you can find a way to converse it to save money. Like for example : I use 25 watts small lamps. I can change the 100 watts down to 65 for the kitchen and livin' room. My two 25 watts lamps are usin' for bedroom. Use common sense and budget-wise.

CyberRed said:
Yes, you are right. Next time when you come up to see me, I will tour you in downtown Juneau. You will find alot of interestin' things. There's one place called " The Russian House ". I will take you there, too. :)

Great! I have some memories of that.

FelixKat930 said:
yaya we would have tons of fun.. is it expensive to go there? :eek2:

You bet ! I remember from the last time I use the ferry back in 2002 and it costs me $ 310.00 just for " walk " with only 2 baggages. But, if I bring a car with me, then it will cost more by measurin' how big a car is.

For flyin' - oh, boy... you wouldn't believe it how much it will cost ! From here ( Iowa ) to Juneau, Alaska - it will cost around $ 665.00 plus fee $ 20.00. From Texas to Juneau ( after my visitation with my friend ), it will cost a little more than $ 900.00 plus fee. It would be a good idea to reserve ahead of time --like 14 days in advance or more to help savin' some money. Good luck ! :)

Pretty interesting thread here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by farewell65
Wow, electricly billing must be higher price in the weather? Cuz have to use light most of time?

CyberRed's post
Well, you can find a way to converse it to save money. Like for example : I use 25 watts small lamps. I can change the 100 watts down to 65 for the kitchen and livin' room. My two 25 watts lamps are usin' for bedroom. Use common sense and budget-wise.

Yes, CyberRed is correct about use common sense about save money and budget because it's the same to Europe as well. The utility expenses here in Europe are 3 times higher than America. We used Energy lights (lowest watt than 15 watts but lights is same as 25 to 40 watts)... and also use candles as well to relax ourselves in living room to watch TV.

I have other question for you, CyberRed.

Have you met native Eskimos in real life and their culture? I would love to learn about them why they rather to live in ice cave at very cold area? Have you any idea why they do that? Don't they get job like everyone? I remember from TV that they beleive in their old fashioned ways and don't work for money... Right?

Liebling:))) : Pretty interesting thread here.

Thank you. It was DreamDeaf's thread. :D

Yes, CyberRed is correct about use common sense about save money and budget because it's the same to Europe as well. The utility expenses here in Europe are 3 times higher than America. We used Energy lights (lowest watt than 15 watts but lights is same as 25 to 40 watts)... and also use candles as well to relax ourselves in living room to watch TV.

I have other question for you, CyberRed.

Sure ! Shoot me. ;)

Have you met native Eskimos in real life and their culture?

I have. Only one deaf young man in his 20's who moved down to Juneau from Anchorage, Alaska. I have not met hearin' Eskimos since they live up north - so far away from Juneau. I mostly see Indians livin' in Juneau and some white, too.
Umm -- Interestin' note here : When I used to live in Haines, Alaska -- Haines only carry 2, 400 people livin' in that town and there's only ONE black elderly man livin' right next door from me... all the rest are Indians and white. But, in Juneau - there aren't very many black people livin' in Juneau. There's several historics that tell about Eskimo people and how they survived throughout hardship. There were 2 white men who came down to build " Juneau " as Capital city. That was how " Juneau " was after one white man's last name when he became famous. I don't remember his first name, but I do know his history. Very interestin'. There was also " war " in between Indians and white people from Yukon, Canada and they ( Indians ) moved down to Alaska. Long history - but, I will find a link for you to read about their history and how they moved across from Yukon, Canada down to Alaska. FYI, I learned that " Whitehorse " in Yukon, Canada is " sister " to Juneau. Juneau and Whitehorse are sisters. I did visited Whitehorse in Yukon, Canada -- it was sooo beautiful town I ever seen ! I rode in the train from Skagway, Alaska to the mountain ( railroad ) to visit Whitehorse. I even seen a very beautiful " paradise " land with some ponds everywhere. I don't know how to describe it - I mean, it was soo beautiful and it reminds me of H E A V E N ! Oh, yes I was in awe when I saw them. Spring or summer would be a perfect time to see. I will go there again in the near future after I settle down in Juneau.

I would love to learn about them why they rather to live in ice cave at very cold area? Have you any idea why they do that? Don't they get job like everyone? I remember from TV that they beleive in their old fashioned ways and don't work for money... Right?

FYI, I don't live in Arctic area or very far away up north from Anchorage. But, one day I will might visit Anchorage with one or 2 friends. :)

Wow, very interesting to read more about Alaska etc... I would love to visit there one day for vacation...

What about foods? etc... is it the same as rest of 48 states and canada... what does Alaska have that rest of states don't have?

Ok, Lieblin' -- Here's a link you may want to read about Juneau History. You will read about 2 men in that article. They were the ones who built Juneau. One of the men named " Joe Juneau " -- that man who built that city. There's also other cities' history in that link. Check on the left column. Enjoy readin' ! :)

Juneau, Alaska History

Wow, very interesting to read more about Alaska etc... I would love to visit there one day for vacation...

What about foods? etc... is it the same as rest of 48 states and canada... what does Alaska have that rest of states don't have?

Juneau has only one McDonald's and that's in downtown Juneau. Umm, a few of them are Chinese Restaurants. For habor boats, the fishermen sell King Crabs, King Salmon/Sockeye fishes, Halibut, King Lobsters, and a few like clams and so forth. At grocery stores, they have american foods, too just like the lower 48 states - no difference. :)

What lower 48 states don't have is that Alaska have lots of " heritages " everywhere that the lower 48 states don't have. I noticed that the lower 48 states don't preserve their heritage much anymore. They break down their heritages to build new. Indians/Eskimos in Alaska support heritages. Same thing with Whitehorse in Yukon, Canada -- they supported their heritages, too. I've heard that there were some people who protested about destroyin' one of their heritage buildin' nearby the water. It was a very BIG disppointed. I talked with one deaf man about this and he thinks that it has to do with conspiracy by one man. I don't want to bring that issue down here in this thread. It was too deep to discuss. LOL But, overall it was very interestin'. You may want to read that I provided for Lieblin' above. ;)

I remember the ferry from Haines, AK to Seattle, WA back in 1988. I guess they stopped with the ferry service and moved to Bellingham or something. We rode on the ferry with our truck parked in the ferry's car storage area. Yep, we drove to Alaska from California then back from Alaska to Seattle on the ferry then drove to California from WA. It looks like a basic cruise ship with a ferry mixed in. It's really big, too. It was fun!

Russian house? someone had a dream about it a while back.. but not sure cuz Russian Lake, or other.. so I wonder if it have to do with this ? hmm.. What is so special about that? I wonder? ha.. :)

I had a friend who lived in Anchorage for year back in late 1980s and she told me that some of the food imported from lower 48 was expensive. Like milk for example, here in lower 48 it was $1.00 per gallon and it costs $2 to $3.00 in Anchorage.

How much is the milk cost now?? what about other food that alaska cannot grow but have to import cost??

Russian house? someone had a dream about it a while back.. but not sure cuz Russian Lake, or other.. so I wonder if it have to do with this ? hmm.. What is so special about that? I wonder? ha.. :)

Yep, they have " The Russian House ". It's a store for people to shoppin' Russian things that the Russian people made. When I first enter that store - oh, boy... you know what I noticed first thing ? Everythin' is red ! *thud* LOL They have lots of Kuchita dolls. Homemade by hands. Very beautiful but, expensive. And, also Russian " fur " hats for winter. Very interestin' to look at. They have crystal glasses by homemade, too. They are real.

In case, if you didn't know what Kuchita dolls are. They are " Russian " dolls. I will give you pics of what they look like.

yhst4747428805685819064985145rn1.gif

yhst47474288056858190640230119pg7.gif

Yep, they have " The Russian House ". It's a store for people to shoppin' Russian things that the Russian people made. When I first enter that store - oh, boy... you know what I noticed first thing ? Everythin' is red ! *thud* LOL They have lots of Kuchita dolls. Homemade by hands. Very beautiful but, expensive. And, also Russian " fur " hats for winter. Very interestin' to look at. They have crystal glasses by homemade, too. They are real.

In case, if you didn't know what Kuchita dolls are. They are " Russian " dolls. I will give you pics of what they look like.

yhst4747428805685819064985145rn1.gif

yhst47474288056858190640230119pg7.gif

Interesting.. thanks for telling me this. Wow! i wonder why red? maybe it is their fav color?? or something. wow! that dolls look pretty for a collection.

I had a friend who lived in Anchorage for year back in late 1980s and she told me that some of the food imported from lower 48 was expensive. Like milk for example, here in lower 48 it was $1.00 per gallon and it costs $2 to $3.00 in Anchorage.

Yes, you are right. They got the food through by freight.

How much is the milk cost now?? what about other food that alaska cannot grow but have to import cost??

For Juneau, the milk will cost a little over $ 3.00 per gallon. Well, I don't see any different because, the jobs makes a good pay. It gives an equal that they could afford to purchase food.

the 1 gal milk here cost almost 3 dollars at walmart now in Arkansas?

the small grocery store 1 mile from here cost 5 dollars for one gallon milk!! jeez!!!!

Back