Credit check for employment

Thats not my point. My point is that not every job requires credit check, whats wrong with trying get job that don't require credit job?

That is one way employer can find out if you really want job not just to get money but wants to work. They technically are looking for real workaholic, not somebody that have been sitting on couch for years.

He was applying at places like garages, auto repair, restaurant for dishwasher, grocery stores for stock and receiving, and other places for warehouse. Nothing involving money or the financial end of it as he has a problem understand anything math related. He tried manufacturing, warehouse and those kinds of jobs. No one would hire him. That's here in this area. In Missouri we didn't have as much of a problem, but did have some. He is now working for a security guard company doing a contract job for the County.

He was applying at places like garages, auto repair, restaurant for dishwasher, grocery stores for stock and receiving, and other places for warehouse. Nothing involving money or the financial end of it as he has a problem understand anything math related. He tried manufacturing, warehouse and those kinds of jobs. No one would hire him. That's here in this area. In Missouri we didn't have as much of a problem, but did have some. He is now working for a security guard company doing a contract job for the County.

Maybe he was "overqualified" for those jobs... especially considering the fact that he was coming off a solid job from his previous employer.

Maybe he was "overqualified" for those jobs... especially considering the fact that he was coming off a solid job from his previous employer.

That's a tough one. I've known a few people turned down because they where overqualified and the hirers knew they would leave when a better opportunity came around.

Is that a fact?

Not every job requires credit check.
Neither Hubby nor I have ever had a credit check to get a job. Hubby never did a credit check on potential employees. Sometimes potential employers or contract givers did criminal background checks.

I'm sure some companies do credit background reports but certainly not all of them, especially smaller companies.

Sounds like it's something quirky about your area.

Sounds like it's something quirky about your area.

I think so too. His previous history was in Missouri and he has over 14 years, 2 different full time jobs that were both in manufacturing, either dashboards or A/C components. He also had 2 part time jobs, 1 with each full time, they were as a dishwasher. One with Casey's and the other with Steak & Shake.

I think so too. His previous history was in Missouri and he has over 14 years, 2 different full time jobs that were both in manufacturing, either dashboards or A/C components. He also had 2 part time jobs, 1 with each full time, they were as a dishwasher. One with Casey's and the other with Steak & Shake.

Could you move to states that banned on credit check for employment?

Could you move to states that banned on credit check for employment?

That is unnecessary. There are 2 steps a person with bad credit should take if there is a legitimate reason.

1) Send the credit reporting agencies a letter describing the temporary hardship that caused the problem and ask them to include the letter in the report.

2) Write a similar letter and include what steps you are taking to remedy the situation. When an employer ask you to sign a form authorizing a credit check give them a copy of this letter and ask that it be considered. Be upfront with them about the situation. That will earn points and turn the tables on the situation. 1 it shows honesty. 2 it shows that you are organized. 3. It shows that you are proactive. Those are 3 solid qualities that are admired by most businesses.

Well - luckily he is now in a decent job and he will finally get benefits starting in July. Also, we are not moving again, no matter what he says. We went through so much to get this house built, that I refuse to leave in spite of the few things I do not like.

Well - luckily he is now in a decent job and he will finally get benefits starting in July. Also, we are not moving again, no matter what he says. We went through so much to get this house built, that I refuse to leave in spite of the few things I do not like.

Maybe some remodeling down the line will help even if it does not get completely rid of what you do not like.

You should never feel forced out of your home. Mad respect to you both for sticking it out.

Oh I see, that's good. Just keep up.

For me, I will not let employers to look at my credit report due to privacy concern and I will move to California for employment after done with school.

For me, I will not let employers to look at my credit report due to privacy concern

That is your right. You ABSOLUTELY do NOT have to seek out employment from them. I will be honest though... I don't think you really understand why it's done. You're being a bit too hard assed on somebody knowing your credit yet you have no problem giving them a SSN or your DL or even your home address... etc. You must realize... it is ALL sensitive information no matter what. If you are not willing to demonstrate your character... then I don't want to hire you either. It's a mutual choice on both sides. That's the best thing about this country. You have a choice.

That is your right. You ABSOLUTELY do NOT have to seek out employment from them. I will be honest though... I don't think you really understand why it's done. You're being a bit too hard assed on somebody knowing your credit yet you have no problem giving them a SSN or your DL or even your home address... etc. You must realize... it is ALL sensitive information no matter what. If you are not willing to demonstrate your character... then I don't want to hire you either. It's a mutual choice on both sides. That's the best thing about this country. You have a choice.

I don't think that you or TXGolfer neglected on credit check, but there are employers neglected on credit check, such as turn the applicant away because they have medical debt that sent to collection agencies. My credit report is moderate due to collection agency on medical bills that doctor office and hospital sent very soon without warn me, but I paid all medical bill off about year ago.

The credit check prevented my sister from find an employment because of bad credit - that's more of her problem because she abused on money during college life and withdrew with a lot of debt, especially student loan. After unemployed for more than 1 year, she found an employment in floor cleaning in SoCal and currently live with her boyfriend. The state ban on credit check helped my sister to got a job so she could pay debt off, however she regretted about behavior over money during college life.

I think "overqualified" is a line of pure bull. If a person didn't need the job, they wouldn't be applying. I was overqualified for most of the jobs I've done but bills wait for me at the end of the day and they need to be paid.

A suggestion for those with bad credit - stop buying things you don't need. Go without music, movies, fast food, new clothes, and anything else you don't need. Get a job delivering papers, morning and night and a job at Dunkin Donuts or whoever else is hiring as well. When you do get an interview, be honest about your debt and demonstrate the effort you've put into getting a handle on things. If a potential employer sees that you're willing to work your tail off with two or three jobs, they'll be more willing to cut you some slack for at least caring about it and trying to resolve it. It beats acting like the idiot that walked away from two jobs to watch Judge Judy and eat bon bons on the coach waiting for a job to land in his living room while he sucks off welfare....

I think "overqualified" is a line of pure bull. If a person didn't need the job, they wouldn't be applying. I was overqualified for most of the jobs I've done but bills wait for me at the end of the day and they need to be paid.

I completely agree with you. Overqualified is also another way for companies to say... I don't think you fit in here. Problem is... it gets overused and becomes... well like you said... a BS line.

A suggestion for those with bad credit - stop buying things you don't need. Go without music, movies, fast food, new clothes, and anything else you don't need. Get a job delivering papers, morning and night and a job at Dunkin Donuts or whoever else is hiring as well. When you do get an interview, be honest about your debt and demonstrate the effort you've put into getting a handle on things. If a potential employer sees that you're willing to work your tail off with two or three jobs, they'll be more willing to cut you some slack for at least caring about it and trying to resolve it. It beats acting like the idiot that walked away from two jobs to watch Judge Judy and eat bon bons on the coach waiting for a job to land in his living room while he sucks off welfare....

You can be frugal and have bad credit.

I don't think that you or TXGolfer neglected on credit check, but there are employers neglected on credit check, such as turn the applicant away because they have medical debt that sent to collection agencies. My credit report is moderate due to collection agency on medical bills that doctor office and hospital sent very soon without warn me, but I paid all medical bill off about year ago.

The credit check prevented my sister from find an employment because of bad credit - that's more of her problem because she abused on money during college life and withdrew with a lot of debt, especially student loan. After unemployed for more than 1 year, she found an employment in floor cleaning in SoCal and currently live with her boyfriend. The state ban on credit check helped my sister to got a job so she could pay debt off, however she regretted about behavior over money during college life.

Almost all employers would understand medical bills. The fact that you paid them off despite the hit to your credit reflects well on you. With that you would actually benefit from an employer viewing your credit. Most people ignore debts after their credit is hit.

I completely agree with you. Overqualified is also another way for companies to say... I don't think you fit in here. Problem is... it gets overused and becomes... well like you said... a BS line.

Well, there is logic behind it....I am not sure how often the logic is legit.

For example I knew a very good framer that was out of work. He wanted to hang Sheetrock for me because he needed money. So I took some Sheetrock jobs and hired him at $14/hr (Framers make $40/hr) .... a week later he picked up framing work and I had to find Sheetrock people.

You can be frugal and have bad credit.

True, but if you demonstrate that you don't give a damn by avoiding jobs that you consider "beneath you," why should anyone hire you? You have to be frugal and try to dig yourself out of the hole. There's no help like self help and employers admire people that demonstrate character. Even at the government level, if you excerise a willingness to work hard to rebuild your credit, they're more inclined to give you an opportunity than the candidate looking for a hand out.

Back