Connecticut school massacre

He died in 2007 from suicide so his purchases would have to be before 2007.

yep. that explains. back then - we didn't really have strong effective federal firearm laws. a lot has changed since several years ago so anybody with a criminal or mental history... they cannot purchase or own a gun.

in "May Issue" states, they may decide whether or not to issue a firearm license - however they want.

sorry to hear about the suicide.

We need to get tougher. I'm all for the 2nd amendment but there needs to be tougher restrictions-magazine capacity, tracking of who purchases large amounts of ammunition and online sales need to be implemented. However, even if we had such a plan in place already this still would have occurred sadly. The guns belonged to the mother so, even if we toughed up on gun laws access will not be limited. It will be legally, that person will not be able to purchase a firearm but if they have family that owns a gun or two they will still have access to a gun.

thanks Jiro. It was unexpected. He overdosed on oxycot but his reasons weren't because of his mental illness. My husbands mother who we've disowned and no longer have any associations with is a classic sociopath and can be to blame for his downward spiral at least in part. She didn't do anything to help him or cared enough to. We blame her for his death as much as we blame him for taking his own life.

First-responders recount initial chaos of school massacre - CNN.com
Newtown, Connecticut (CNN) -- Amid the chaos that first-responder Ray Corbo witnessed on Friday, there is one image that he will never forget.

It isn't the woman who was taken to the hospital after being shot in the foot at Sandy Hook Elementary. It isn't the police officer he saw leaving the school's interior covered in someone's blood.

What will haunt Corbo forever is the memory of parents lined up outside the firehouse just a few hundred feet away from the school, waiting to pick up their children.

"As the children were coming down the street, little by little, classroom by classroom all holding hands, parents were claiming their children," says Corbo, the first assistant fire chief at Newtown Hook and Ladder No. 1. "After a little while, once they claimed their kid and signed them out ... they left.

"There were some sticking around and that's when we realized that they're probably not going to be leaving. They're gonna get the confirmation soon enough that they're not gonna be grabbing their child and hugging them and taking them home."

Remembering the victims

Corbo's voice is steady, but his eyes glisten. "Their life is changed forever."

Corbo, along with Rob Manna, the department's chief engineer, were among the first responders to Friday's school massacre of 20 children and six adults.

Manna was working less than half a mile from the school in the center of Sandy Hook when he got the call.

"I was there very soon," he says. At the time, he says, he had no idea what he was walking into.

Corbo and Manna were assigned outside the school, to an emergency triage area that didn't end up being used.

Despite their combined nearly half-century of experience, the two men say nothing could have ever prepared them for what they have now personally experienced.

"You get the initial dispatch, and you really don't know what you're coming in to, but for the most part, you're ready for it," Corbo says. "But this time, it was not the case ... if you think you're ready for this, you're not.

"Very early on, it was determined that this was bad -- really, really bad."

Police and paramedics, some clad in body armor and bulletproof vests, entered the school cautiously.

"They had to find out if anyone survived ... if there was anyone to take care of," Manna says.

Outside, it was mass confusion. Phone calls and text messages spread nearly faster than reports on police radios.

"It was chaos down there. Parents were coming from all directions. You could see the panic in everybody's face, because they have no idea what they're coming into," Corbo says. "They were panic-stricken and trying to get to their children, but they were stopped."

At the nearby firehouse, he says, he saw parents waiting in line for hours to pick up their children.

"And there's no more kids around to take home," Corbo says. "And you know, it's bad. They're gonna get some bad news. I'm sure they knew at that point, but there's that shred of hope there's somebody hiding in closet or some kid they missed, but ultimately that wasn't the case."

Corbo is a father to a first-grader and, had they not moved two years ago, his 7-year-old son Joey would have attended Sandy Hook Elementary.

When he returned home Friday, the former Marine did what many of the parents outside the school could not.

"'I love you' was the first thing I said," Corbo recalls. "And we hugged a lot. Of course, he's 7 years old, so a hug in the morning is fine, and before you go to bed, but getting hugged all day long, he's wondering what the heck's going on.

"He'll understand someday."

Manna says his grieving will come later. "For now, (I've) gotta be strong."

Today, Newtown is awash with emblems of tragedy: an enormous American flag, starkly silhouetted against the sky, flies at half-staff in the middle of Main Street.

Just east, on the road that leads towards Sandy Hook Elementary, a host of 27 wooden angel statues sing a silent chorus on the roadside, a tribute to those who died Friday. Police say Adam Lanza shot and killed his mother at the home they shared, before carrying out the rampage at the school where he left 26 dead and also shot and killed himself.

A small bright note is the overwhelming support Newtown has been receiving from around the country and the world -- including truckloads of teddy bears that firefighters are distributing to children's groups, schools and churches..

"The community will go on," Corbo says. "We have to. There are still a lot of children in this town waiting for Christmas to come. You have to move on. For their sake, it's gotta be back to normal as soon as we can get it."

:(

We need to get tougher. I'm all for the 2nd amendment but there needs to be tougher restrictions-magazine capacity, tracking of who purchases large amounts of ammunition and online sales need to be implemented. However, even if we had such a plan in place already this still would have occurred sadly. The guns belonged to the mother so, even if we toughed up on gun laws access will not be limited. It will be legally, that person will not be able to purchase a firearm but if they have family that owns a gun or two they will still have access to a gun.

there's really nothing we can do about it. like all other crimes (burglary, rape, assault, etc)... no laws can prevent it.

but... we need improve the mental health centers and many states already cut a lot of funding after decades of deinstitutionalization that put people with mental illness on street.

but... we need improve the mental health centers and many states already cut a lot of funding after decades of deinstitutionalization that put people with mental illness on street.

I agree with that statement 100%. Will this happen? I hope so. Health insurance doesn't cover mental health as it does physical health and needs to. Funding and asylums, insitutions need to be easier to access. I read an article but cannot vouch for it's accuracy that the possible motive behind the shooters rampage is because he learned his mother was trying to have him committed to an institution but was having difficulty getting him committed and not for this reason alone but because of the legality, red tape, paper work...BS that if not in the way could have possibly prevented this tragedy had he been able to be committed the very day his mother requested it.

Adam Lanza's Motive: Did Fear Of Being Committed Lead To Sandy Hook Elementary Shooting? (UPDATE)

"From what I've been told, Adam was aware of her petitioning the court for conservatorship and (her) plans to have him committed," said Joshua Flashman, 25, who grew up not far from where the shooting took place. "Adam was apparently very upset about this. He thought she just wanted to send him away. From what I understand, he was really, really angry. I think this could have been it, what set him off."

The process needs to be shorter in some cases.

I agree with that statement 100%. Will this happen? I hope so. Health insurance doesn't cover mental health as it does physical health and needs to. Funding and asylums, insitutions need to be easier to access. I read an article but cannot vouch for it's accuracy that the possible motive behind the shooters rampage is because he learned his mother was trying to have him committed to an institution but was having difficulty getting him committed and not for this reason alone but because of the legality, red tape, paper work...BS that if not in the way could have possibly prevented this tragedy had he been able to be committed the very day his mother requested it.

Adam Lanza's Motive: Did Fear Of Being Committed Lead To Sandy Hook Elementary Shooting? (UPDATE)

Yup, Medicare and Medicaid cover the mental health treatment, however the Medicaid can cover indefinitely if anyone have to stay at hospital for long term. My private insurance (under dependent) covers but more restrictive than Medicare.

I'm not surprised about my state (Alabama) has weak gun laws and make easier for people with mental illness to buy firearm, however it will not possible with federal because the federal background is required so our state don't require any background on purchases. Getting court order to send people with mental illness to hospitals are extremely difficult and most of cases usually got dismissed so left as no choice. Any people with mental illness and drug addicts in combined could send to overcrowded state prison for years. Our state legislature already closed some state mental hospitals and put many patients to group home or families to take care of them. I haven't hear about any mass shooting in here because of loosen gun laws and weak law that address the mental illness, since CT is probably more strict.

Federal Law - http://www.justice.gov/usao/ut/psn/documents/guncard.pdf
I. POSSESSION OF A FIREARM OR AMMUNITION BY A PROHIBITED PERSON:

18 USC § 922(g) & (n). Punishable by up to 10 years imprisonment. May receive minimum sentence of 15 years without parole if offender has three or more prior convictions for a felony crime of violence (e.g. burglary, robbery, assault, possession of offensive weapons) and/or drug trafficking felony.

Elements
A. Possession or receipt of a firearm or ammunition;

B. By a subject who falls within one of the following categories:
Felon - (Additionally, persons awaiting trial on felony charges are prohibited from receiving firearms.);

Drug user or addict - (Often shown where paraphernalia seized, subject tests positive for drugs and/or subject claims drugs were possessed for personal use.);

Alien - (Includes illegal aliens and aliens lawfully admitted under non-immigrant visas, i.e., those aliens not admitted for permanent residence. This provision does not prohibit aliens who lawfully possess a so-called “green card” from possessing guns or ammunition.);

Is subject to a domestic restraining order - (The order must prohibit contact with an intimate partner, or child of the subject, and must have been issued only after a hearing of which the subject was notified and at which the subject had an opportunity to participate. The order must also find the subject poses a threat to the physical safety of the intimate partner or child or must prohibit the use, threatened use or attempted use of physical force.);

Has a prior conviction for domestic assault - (Includes a prior conviction for any assault or threatened use of a deadly weapon against a present or former spouse or partner or child or guardian of any such person. The subject must have been entitled to a jury trial and been represented by counsel in the prior proceeding or be shown to have waived those rights.);

Fugitive from justice - (Fled any state to avoid being prosecuted or to avoid testifying in any criminal proceeding.); or Dishonorably discharged from the military; AND

C. The firearm or ammunition was transported across a state line at any time.

II. KNOWINGLY SELL, GIVE OR OTHERWISE DISPOSE OF ANY FIREARM OR AMMUNITION TO ANY PERSON WHO FALLS WITHIN ONE OF THE ABOVE
CATEGORIES:

18 USC § 922(d). Punishable by up to 10 years imprisonment

III. USE, CARRY OR POSSESS A FIREARM IN RELATION TO OR IN
FURTHERANCE OF A DRUG FELONY OR A FEDERAL CRIME OF
VIOLENCE:

18 USC § 924(c). Punishment ranges from at least 5 years up to life imprisonment, without parole, or death if death results from use of firearm. Sentence must be served consecutive to any other sentence. Mandatory minimum sentence increases depending upon: the type of firearm involved (sawed-off gun, silencer, etc.); whether more than one offense was committed; and whether gun was simply possessed or was brandished or discharged.

IV. STOLEN FIREARM, AMMUNITION OR EXPLOSIVE:
18 USC §§842(h); 922(i), (j) & (u). Punishable by up to 10 years imprisonment.

A. May not receive, possess, conceal, store, pledge or accept as security for a loan, barter, sell or ship or transport across a state line any stolen firearm, ammunition or explosive.

B. May not steal or unlawfully take or carry away a firearm from the person or premises of a firearms licensee.

V. FIREARM IN A SCHOOL ZONE:
18 USC § 922(q)(2)(A). Punishable by up to 5 years imprisonment.
A. Except as authorized, may not possess or discharge a firearm in a school zone.

VI. KNOWINGLY POSSESS OR MANUFACTURE:
18 USC § 922(k), (o) & (v); 26 USC § 5861. Punishable by up to 5 or 10 years
imprisonment, depending upon specific violation.

A. Any machine gun, fully automatic firearm or any part designed or intended exclusively for
use in such weapon;
B. Any firearm silencer, including any device, or part thereof, designed to silence, muffle or
diminish the report of a firearm;
C. Sawed-off shotgun with a barrel length of less than 18" or overall length less than 26";
D. Sawed-off rifle with a barrel length of less than 16" or overall length less than 26";
E. Destructive device;
F. Semi-automatic assault weapon manufactured after October 1, 1993; OR
G. Any firearm which lacks a serial number or contains an altered or obliterated serial
number.

VII. SELL, DELIVER OR TRANSFER TO A JUVENILE:
18 USC § 922(x)(1). Punishable by up to 1 year imprisonment unless transferor had reason to believe juvenile would commit crime of violence with gun or ammunition, then up to 10 years imprisonment.

18 USC § 922(b). A firearms licensee faces up to 5 years imprisonment.
A. May not sell, deliver or transfer a handgun or handgun-only ammunition to a person who is under age 18;
B. A person under age 18 may not possess a handgun or handgun-only ammunition;
(Certain exceptions apply to A & B, such as where juvenile possesses written permission of a parent.);
C. A firearms licensee may not sell any gun or ammunition to anyone under the age of 18 and may not sell a handgun or handgun ammunition to a person under the age of 21.

regarding prohibition of selling firearm to those with a history of mental illness...

Gun Control Act of 1968 - http://www.atf.gov/publications/download/p/atf-p-5300-4.pdf
(d) It shall be unlawful for any person to
sell or otherwise dispose of any firearm or
ammunition to any person knowing or
having reasonable cause to believe that
such person—

(4) has been adjudicated as a mental
defective or has been committed to any
mental institution;

Act. 18 U.S.C. Chapter 44.
Adjudicated as a mental defective.
(a) A determination by a court, board,
commission, or other lawful authority that
a person, as a result of marked subnormal
intelligence, or mental illness, incompetency, condition, or disease:
(1) Is a danger to himself or to others; or
(2) Lacks the mental capacity to
contract or manage his own affairs.
(b) The term shall include—
(1) A finding of insanity by a court
in a criminal case; and
(2) Those persons found incompetent to stand trial or found not guilty by
reason of lack of mental responsibility
pursuant to articles 50a and 72b of the
Uniform Code of Military Justice, 10
U.S.C. 850a, 876b.

§ 478.32 Prohibited shipment, transportation, possession, or receipt of
firearms and ammunition by certain
persons.

(a) No person may ship or transport
any firearm or ammunition in interstate or
foreign commerce, or receive any firearm
or ammunition which has been shipped or
transported in interstate or foreign commerce, or possess any firearm or ammunition in or affecting commerce, who:

(4) Has been adjudicated as a mental
defective or has been committed to a
mental institution,

(c) Sales or deliveries to prohibited
categories of persons. A licensed manufacturer, licensed importer, licensed
dealer, or licensed collector shall not sell
or otherwise dispose of any firearm or
ammunition to any person knowing or
having reasonable cause to believe that
such person:

(4) Has been adjudicated as a mental defective or has been committed to
any mental institution;

and so on...

regarding prohibition of selling firearm to those with a history of mental illness..

and so on...

Which part of the above laws state that a mother cannot take her son to a gun range and let him shoot with her guns? Please bold that for me.

Where does it state, any person cannot willfully expose a mentally ill person to their guns or guns provided by another party?

Which part of the above laws state that a mother cannot take her son to a gun range and let him shoot with her guns? Please bold that for me.
Adam already broke the law - illegal possession of firearm.

Where does it state, any person cannot willfully expose a mentally ill person to their guns or guns provided by another party?
or? it's not "or". it's 2 VERY different things - showing and providing.

there's no law prohibiting a person showing a gun to a mentally-ill person. why should there be? it's ridiculous. what's next? creating a law to prohibit an adult from showing a knife or Jackass movie to a child?

I'm disturbed by your thought of how we should treat mentally-ill people. You're acting as if they're all bunch of violent lunatics who should remain permanently locked up at institution. I'm not even going to demand laws that would further restrict their life and legal rights. That's a serious erosion of Constitution and humanity.

Looks like this society hasn't changed much since old time. Does it ever occur to you that it is us who should take a deep look at ourselves and change the way we think and treat them? that will undoubtedly prevent this kind of tragedy.

Adam already broke the law - illegal possession of firearm.

or? it's not "or". it's 2 VERY different things - showing and providing.

there's no law prohibiting a person showing a gun to a mentally-ill person. why should there be? it's ridiculous. what's next? creating a law to prohibit an adult from showing a knife or Jackass movie to a child?

I'm disturbed by your thought of how we should treat mentally-ill people. You're acting as if they're all bunch of violent lunatics who should remain permanently locked up at institution. I'm not even going to demand laws that would further restrict their life and legal rights. That's a serious erosion of Constitution and humanity.

Looks like this society hasn't changed much since old time. Does it ever occur to you that it is us who should take a deep look at ourselves and change the way we think and treat them? that will undoubtedly prevent this kind of tragedy.

We have laws that prohibit children from drinking alcohol, does that diminish their rights? Yes, it does. More importantly, we have laws that exposing children to alcohol brings criminal penalty. We do this because we don't believe children have the capacity to handle alcohol. Given that, why should we believe mentally ill people have the capacity to handle guns? You can't bring a child to a bar and buy him a drink, nor should you be able to bring a mentally ill person to a gun range and let that person shoot.

Us, the people who are not mentally ill, take a deep look at ourselves all the time to try and find ways to protect those who are less fortunate.

Nobody wants to restrict rights, but the fact is, at the end of the day, that person kills himself and others. So, with all your great wisdom and knowelge, tell us how you are going to stop those people from killing themselves and others without taking away their rights?

i dont think it the mentally ill you need to worry about it the social/psycopaths mixed with americans rights to carry a gun

We have laws that prohibit children from drinking alcohol, does that diminish their rights? Yes, it does. More importantly, we have laws that exposing children to alcohol brings criminal penalty. We do this because we don't believe children have the capacity to handle alcohol.
correction - we have laws that prohibit sale of alcohol to minor but many states do not have laws that prohibit minors from drinking alcohol. and we have laws that prohibit sale of tobacco to minors but no laws prohibiting them from smoking it.

Given that, why should we believe mentally ill people have the capacity to handle guns?
oh? then what's next? not allowing them to drive because of violent road rage? living by themselves because they'll hurt themselves?

a better question - why should we listen to your opinion when you do not have any experience with or professional knowledge about mental illness? I do believe they have the capacity to handle guns and I believe we all have a common sense to show them or not depending on the state of their mental health. If they have a violent tendency due to their mental illness... well obviously they shouldn't be allowed to handle gun and federal law already prohibits a possession of firearm for those kind of people.

You can't bring a child to a bar and buy him a drink, nor should you be able to bring a mentally ill person to a gun range and let that person shoot.
so what's the measuring scale for those with mental, behavioral, or emotional problem that would preclude anybody to touch/own a gun?

Us, the people who are not mentally ill, take a deep look at ourselves all the time to try and find ways to protect those who are less fortunate.

Nobody wants to restrict rights, but the fact is, at the end of the day, that person kills himself and others. So, with all your great wisdom and knowelge, tell us how you are going to stop those people from killing themselves and others without taking away their rights?
by changing the way we treat our mentally-ill people and give them the help that actually helps them. drugging them and locking them at mental wards are not the solution. it's further stigmatizing them and denying the help that they need.

Europeans did it right and it's working very well. We are still stuck in old time.

Many modern countries do allow children as young as 15 years old (or maybe less) to drink and they're just fine. Here... they're not allowed to drink till they're 21. So why the huge age gap? Has our society gone completely irresponsible and it's just much more convenient to create more senseless laws for those who made a trouble rather than focusing on actual issue? sounds pretty dang lazy and narrow-minded. In our way - we just stigmatize it and make it a taboo. Very silly.

correction - we have laws that prohibit sale of alcohol to minor but many states do not have laws that prohibit minors from drinking alcohol. and we have laws that prohibit sale of tobacco to minors but no laws prohibiting them from smoking it.

Point taken with respect to the laws, but we should still not let mentally ill people use guns because they do not have the capacity to do so.

uh.... the federal law already prohibited mentally-ill people from buying a gun
Yes, and use should be as well.

so what's the measuring scale for those with mental, behavioral, or emotional problem that would preclude anybody to touch/own a gun?
Anyone who willing knows that person has a mental condition.

by changing the way we treat our mentally-ill people and give them the help that actually helps them. drugging them and locking them at mental wards are not the solution. it's further stigmatizing them and denying the help that they need. [/OUOTE]

Obviously, that is not currently working.

Europeans did it right and it's working very well. We are still stuck in old time.
Europeans don't have as much gun ownership as we do.

Many modern countries do allow children as young as 15 years old (or maybe less) to drink and they're just fine. Here... they're not allowed to drink till they're 21. So why the huge age gap? Has our society gone completely irresponsible and it's just much more convenient to create more senseless laws for those who made a trouble rather than focusing on actual issue? sounds pretty dang lazy and narrow-minded. In our way - we just stigmatize it and make it a taboo. Very silly.
I have not failed to notice, you, have not answered my question. How would YOU solve the problem of mentally ill people and mass killings?

Point taken with respect to the laws, but we should still not let mentally ill people use guns because they do not have the capacity to do so.

Yes, and use should be as well.
already illegal as shown in my previous post.

Anyone who willing knows that person has a mental condition.
I think it's best to leave that to medical professionals, not Dr. Phil or us. Looks like you would actually believe shark are dangerous and should be hunted out after watching Jaws movie.

Obviously, that is not currently working.
how? we didn't even start.

Europeans don't have as much gun ownership as we do.
it's not just guns. you missed the point.

I have not failed to notice, you, have not answered my question. How would YOU solve the problem of mentally ill people and mass killings?
I just did... in details. looks like you missed the point.

Except for the number of casualties, this attack was similar:

GREENWOOD — A single news report Friday rewound Shirley Bordner’s life 24 years.

She was again stuck in traffic outside Greenwood’s Oakland Elementary School. She was navigating a sea of scurrying children and frantic mothers.

Wilson as a 14-year-old student. Today, Wilson sits on death row at Lieber Correctional Institution in Ridgeville, where he was sent after pleading guilty to shooting to death two young schoolgirls in 1988.

A sheriff’s cruiser was posted Monday in front of Eleanor S. Rice Elementary in Greenwood. The deputy stood vigil for the parents’ peace of mind, knowing that thoughts of 24 years earlier might come back.

Today, the site of the two fatal shootings in Greenwood is called Eleanor S. Rice Elementary School. In September 1988 it was called Oakland Elementary, and was the scene of a shooting in which 19-year-old Jamie WIlson killed two students and wounded nine other people.

Shirley Bordner, 62, of Greenwood said her son, Jamie Wilson, enjoyed a normal childhood — until his father began to hurl verbal assaults at him. In September 1988, Wilson barged into a cafeteria at Oakland Elementary School in Greenwood and started shooting. Wilson, whose mother describes him as severely mentally ill, sits on death row in connection with the killings of two girls.

Last week, her mind replayed that day in September 1988. She could see herself rolling down a car window, a parent telling her that students had been shot.

Bordner had happened upon the chaos on her way to work. Her daughters attended schools elsewhere in this Upstate city, and her 19-year-old son had dropped out years ago. But she wondered, who would do such a thing?

The information trickled to her during the day: Someone had walked into the cafeteria and started shooting. Two third-grade girls, both 8, eventually died. Seven other students and two teachers were wounded.

But the question didn’t go away: What kind of person would do this? Was he acting on a grudge? Did his parents fail him?

Bordner asked those same questions last week after a man broke into Sandy Hook Elementary in Newtown, Conn., and fatally shot 26 people, including 20 children. As was the case in Greenwood a generation ago, the shooter had no profound connection with the school.

It was heinous and maddening. It was sad, Bordner said, to listen to a father tell reporters about his “precious little angel,” only 6 years old. The similarities wrenched her.

“Every time this happens, in malls or theaters or schools, my heart drops,” she said. “I’m sure not a day goes by that their parents don’t think about the victims and what could have been.”

Bordner also lost something on that day nearly a quarter-century ago, she said. Five hours after the attack, she heard who had committed the unthinkable.

What happened at Oakland Elementary isn’t a favorite topic of conversation in this rural city.

Residents would rather banter about how the recent economic recession stifled what was seen as promising growth.

It’s a city where a 1950s Chevrolet shares a carport with a John Deere. Its outskirts are speckled with horse farms, hay bales and roadside signs still advertising after-Fourth fireworks sales.

The killings of Shequila Bradley and Tequila Thomas deeply scarred this community. But the old wounds are not readily visible ones.

A memorial nature trail with two benches, two birdhouses and two plaques is tucked at a rear corner of the school.

Two years ago, the building was renamed Eleanor S. Rice Elementary after a longtime principal who was there at the time of the melee.

But at a steadier clip than ever, it seems, this community of 23,000 is reminded of that day.

The thoughts came rushing back in 1999, when two 17-year-olds planted bombs at Columbine High and fatally shot 12 classmates and a teacher. They came in 2006, when a milkman took Amish schoolgirls hostage and killed five of them in Pennsylvania.

The horror in Newtown had Greenwood-area natives like Shelia Waldrup mentioning the unmentionable again. Waldrup, 46, works as a custodian at Rice Elementary, where teachers conjured the past.

The shootings’ similarities startled them.

“Since then, I hadn’t heard much about it,” she said at the end of a school day this week. “It brought back a lot of bad memories nobody likes to talk about.”

A sheriff’s cruiser was posted in front of the school as parents’ cars lined up in four lanes. A waiting boy balanced a gingerbread house on a piece of cardboard.

The deputy stood vigil for parents’ peace of mind. Knowing the school’s history, the deputy said, people are especially sensitive to shootings elsewhere.

Kelly McCurry chooses to stuff the memory somewhere deep down. She can’t reach it, but what happened in Newtown did.

She related to the sights that will forever stick with the surviving Newtown pupils: the broken windows, the blood.

She was 7 and in first grade at the Greenwood school when the gunman entered.

He aimed his .22-caliber revolver at children. The two faculty members who were shot just got in his way.

McCurry was one of the lucky ones. She had just left the cafeteria when she heard the gunfire.

A janitor rushed McCurry to safety in the woods. They couldn’t grasp what was happening.

This week, in her home a mile from the school, McCurry still struggled to make sense of the shootings near and far.

In both cases, she knows the perpetrator must have suffered a mental illness. She doesn’t think stricter gun laws would have prevented the shootings. Quite the opposite, actually; if teachers were armed, she said, maybe the crises could have been lessened.

“This takes you back and makes you realize what we went through all over again,” McCurry said. “The other (shootings) didn’t hit us as hard as this one because it’s such a similar situation.”

A day later, it drove her former classmates to lay pink daisies on the Greenwood memorial.

A killer’s making

Bordner froze when she learned about Newtown.

She was celebrating an early Christmas with family members when a bulletin came across the TV.

She tried answering the same questions about shooter Adam Lanza that she had asked about her own son, Jamie Wilson, who pleaded guilty and was sentenced to death for shooting the two girls in 1988.

She again sensed the weight of the blame that she had heaped on herself over the years. She felt a guilt that she had helped steer her son down the wrong path.

But, she asked, what similarities in the lives of Lanza and her son pushed them to do such things?

Wilson’s boyhood was ordinary at first. He liked pulling his younger sisters around in a Radio Flyer. At church, he tithed a portion of his allowance and enjoyed the hymn “I Must Tell Jesus.”

But his father hurled verbal assaults at him. The man threatened on one occasion to retrieve a gun from a closet and use it to punish him.

After that episode Bordner and her three children left home, but they went back upon his promise of reform.

Now, she wishes she hadn’t continued being with a man who used firearms as a method of discipline.

Wilson’s behavior worsened. He withdrew socially and became prone to outbursts at his parents.

He often stayed with his paternal grandmother, who repeatedly rented the Alfred Hitchcock film “Psycho” and urged him to watch it.

In school, he was bullied. Classmates teased him for his style of dress, for being overweight. To protest going to school one morning, he clobbered his mother’s shoulder with a baseball bat.

At 14, the grip of mental illness tightened. He was sent to a special-education classroom, where the atmosphere was so unruly that he had to leave.

A tutor initially helped further his education at home, but it didn’t last. He never advanced beyond 10th grade.

After threatening to kill himself, he was committed to a mental health facility. When he was released, he gave his mother a black eye. Psychological therapy never took hold.

On the morning of Sept. 26, 1988, he went to visit his maternal grandmother, but she had left for a church meeting. He grabbed the nine-shot revolver she had stashed on the fireplace mantel for home defense.

He drove first to a store and bought two boxes of ammunition, then to the school. He had never attended there. He knew nobody there.

He started in the cafeteria, where 100 first-graders were eating lunch. His first nine bullets hit two students and a teacher.

He reloaded in a restroom. When a physical education teacher tried to stop him in the hallway, he shot her in the face.

Bullets struck six more students in a third-grade classroom. When the revolver was spent again, he surrendered to the wounded gym teacher.

Learning to cope

Bordner feared excommunication.

She promptly left her weekend job at a nursing home, where a slain girl’s mother also worked.

Bordner became known as the mother of the one who did it.

She turned to God, whom she credits for teaching her to cope. If more people invited God into their own lives, she said, maybe this wouldn’t happen so often.

The death threats never came. The news media did, but she shooed them away. Her recent discussion with The Post and Courier was her first lengthy interview with a newspaper in 24 years.

After Bordner’s second husband had surgery, the mother of Leah Holmes, one of the wounded girls, cooked a meal for her.

When Bordner herself was hospitalized years ago, she ran into the aunt of one of Wilson’s murder victims. The aunt showed sympathy for her son, who remains on death row at Lieber Correctional Institution in Ridgeville.

Wilson hasn’t taken therapeutic medicine in prison.

He’s like a child and sometimes walks around naked; his illness has stripped him of any sense of shame. In rare lucid moments, he will ask for a candy bar and a Coca-Cola.

His latest mug shot shows unkempt facial hair and green prison garb haphazardly draped over him. He flashes a toothless, infantile smile.

Inmates have intentionally spilled coffee on him and spat in his face. His status as a killer of children played into his treatment.

About four years ago, the last time Bordner saw him, Wilson didn’t recognize his mother. It would be best, experts told her, if she didn’t visit at all.

“He would never talk about the shooting,” she said. “Only one time on the phone, he said, ‘Mother, how in the world did I ever get myself into this mess?’ I knew that he was sorry.”

But why, Jamie? Why did you do this?

She never got the answer, and she probably never will.

Wilson’s life has been prolonged by appeals and challenges to his execution because of his mental state. His mother has little hope that he will ever be treated, that he will ever regain the capacity to answer her.

“I know what it’s like,” she said, “to lose a child.”

After Newtown, residents of Greenwood, killer’s mother relive school shooting – The Post and Courier

already illegal as shown in my previous post.

I think it's best to leave that to medical professionals, not Dr. Phil or us. Looks like you would actually believe shark are dangerous and should be hunted out after watching Jaws movie.

how? we didn't even start.

it's not just guns. you missed the point.

I just did... in details. looks like you missed the point.

That's your answer? Leave it to the medical professionals? Would you mind giving some specifics? How do we stop a mentally ill person from going into a school and doing what was done in Newtown? Or do you not have an answer for it?

Since we know all the reasons you think guns are not the problem, please don't recap why everything other than your position won't work.

That's your answer? Leave it to the medical professionals?
oh you prefer Dr. Phil or armchair psychiatrist to determine whether or not if a person's state of mental health and whether or not if he is a danger to himself and public?

Would you mind giving some specifics? How do we stop a mentally ill person from going into a school and doing what was done in Newtown? Or do you not have an answer for it?
dude..... I just explained it in detail in Post #335. and no I do not know for sure if it will prevent the tragedy or not but I think it would. and Reba's post has excellent detail that explains what I was trying to explain.

Since we know all the reasons you think guns are not the problem, please don't recap why everything other than your position won't work.
I don't follow. I only pointed out your flawed statements. probably best if you read Reba's post. excellent detail.

by changing the way we treat our mentally-ill people and give them the help that actually helps them.

^^^ from 335: In other words, you don't have one. You have a theory about what to do, but no tangible way of solving the problem.

I respect your opinion, but I don't agree with it. I don't want to wait years to see if there is some way of treating someone which actually works. If you keep guns away from mentally ill people, mentally ill people won't use them in cases like Newtown.

Back