Connecticut school massacre

Focus Jiro. He was talking about Adam, not "any kid".

how do we know Adam's state of mind at that time? did he have a "sick" mind? a violent tendency? a history of violence? abnormal obsession with destruction or violence?

why is it not a good idea to bring kids to gun range? Hundreds of thousands American families have brought kids to gun ranges for competition, fun and education for hundreds of years. it's practically an American tradition or American way of life, if you will.

I see nothing wrong with it and I will be starting that family tradition once I have my own kids.
Maybe he means specifically the kid, Adam, because he was troubled? I don't know if he means all kids.

I think it depends on the kid as to when is a good age, if ever, to start shooting.

Maybe he means specifically the kid, Adam, because he was troubled? I don't know if he means all kids.

I think it depends on the kid as to when is a good age, if ever, to start shooting.

I don't think there is ever any concern about him being troubled or disturbed.

I don't think there is ever any concern about him being troubled or disturbed.
Are you saying that no one, including his mother, was aware that Adam Lanza had any mental, behavioral or emotional problems that would preclude allowing him to use a gun?

how do we know Adam's state of mind at that time? did he have a "sick" mind? a violent tendency? a history of violence? abnormal obsession with destruction or violence?

The shooter was a trouble child and could not be left along. I read that the mother was trying to have the shooter committed to a psychiatric facility. The kid had aspergers, it does not cause violence behavior, but people do have poor social skills and boys can have aspergers worst than girls. The shooter could of had a mental illness AND aspergers as he was taking meds . The mother was trying to get her son committed to a psych unit and was setting a hearing at the court. Now does that sound like the kind of kid that should be learning how to shoot guns?? I really think the mother had to have some issues too , as no normal person would keep 6 guns in their house when they're trying to get their kid committed to psych unit . I feel that if a person want to get a gun everyone that live in the house over the age 13 should be checked out too. This mass shooting show that is not good enough just to check the person buying the gun. If the cops knew the mother had a troubled 20 yo boy living with her she may not been able to get any guns.

Adam Lanza's Motive: Did Fear Of Being Committed Lead To Sandy Hook Elementary Shooting?

Why do people have to use the shooter's name?? I refuse to use it. I call him
'shooter' . Do people really want to remember his name ?? If so , why??

Why do people have to use the shooter's name?? I refuse to use it. I call him
'shooter' . Do people really want to remember his name ?? If so , why??
We already know his name so we mention it, however we remember him as infamous.

Long time ago the white guy killed alot of black guys and saved private parts in the refrig. I bet that you still remember his name, don't you?

Are you saying that no one, including his mother, was aware that Adam Lanza had any mental, behavioral or emotional problems that would preclude allowing him to use a gun?

not to the point where it would make him a murderous killer.

is there a measuring scale for those with mental, behavioral, or emotional problem that would preclude anybody to touch/own a gun?

Sandy Hook Elementary Shooting: Stories of Heroism and Love
Sandy Hook Elementary Shooting: Stories of Heroism and Love - Connecticut School Shootings : People.com

The day before he died, Jesse Lewis, 6, etched a brief, sweet note in the frost on his mom's car door. "I love you," it read simply in remarkably neat first-grade handwriting.

It was the last note she'd ever receive from him, Scarlett Lewis tearfully tells PEOPLE – and thankfully, she caught it on film.

"I said, 'Oh, Jess, I have to take a picture of that,' " she says. "Thank God."

This week, PEOPLE tells Jesse's heartbreaking story and remembers the other lives lost in one of the worst school shootings in U.S. history.

Twenty students and six faculty members lost their lives in the massacre on Dec. 14. Among the victims were principal Dawn Hochsprung, who lunged at shooter Adam Lanza, first-grade teacher Victoria Soto, who tried to hide her kids in a closet, and four other brave Sandy Hook Elementary School employees who strained desperately to save the children they loved.

Soto died, her cousin Jim Wiltsie tells PEOPLE, "a hero."

Thanks to her quick thinking, some of her students were able to flee. But many others – including Jesse – didn't survive.

Tenacious and strong, like Hochsprung, Jesse also tried to rush the shooter (who also killed his mother, Nancy Lanza, 52, earlier that day), and in doing so, died.

In emotional interviews, his parents tried to put to words a grief beyond compare.

"Jesse had no fear and thought he could conquer the world," says his father Neil Heslin, 50. "He was a brave little boy who had no fear – and he always put everybody before himself."

For an in depth look at the lives lost in Sandy Hook – including exclusive interviews and photos – pick up the new special year-end issue of PEOPLE, on newsstands Friday

Attachments

• cover-300.jpg
    cover-300.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 1

is there a measuring scale for those with mental, behavioral, or emotional problem that would preclude anybody to touch/own a gun?
I bet that FBI will eventually find out that Adam was capable to kill after his father, brother and psychologist are interviewed as well as court records (his mother filed a complaint against him, I think).

It said in parents divorce record that the shooter had aspergers and this is NOT a mental illness. We really do not know if the shooter had aspergers
AND a mental illness . His mother was trying to have her son declare incompetent according to one source, I posted that already. The papers are sealed so we may never know all the facts. The mother knew her son could not be left alone which was why she took him to the shooting range with her.
I would love to know if mother tried to get her son in a psych unit before he was an adult or after he became an adult . As it take time to declare an adult person mentally incompetent .

Not to derail the topic at hand but it does relate. The media has been demonizing being a loner or not having friends as a sign of abnormality in which case I feel isn't a predictor of violence nor should it be viewed as odd. I'm saying this because as a Deaf person since it has been repeated over and over that the shooter was a loner, had no friends and was socially awkward it has made me feel very self conscious of how people now view me. I'm socially awkward because I'm Deaf and only have Deaf friends. Now people are going to label me or anyone else who is the same as abnormal. I also have issues with the medias usage of aspergers syndrome since the majority of the public is not aware of what that is it's been labeled as being a mental illness in which case it isn't. Also in the same vein here some of us Deaf maybe mistakenly labeled as being autistic or acting like one because of how socially awkward we come across and I've been very upset over this very thought. Has this bothered you as well? It has really bothered me that the media is making it out to be that people like that are prone to violence or could be and I won't argue that in every mass shooting there has been the perp has been identified as a loner or socially awkward but for those of us that are that way because of being Deaf it doesn't mean that we are strange, odd or weird or prone to violence. I was as a child mistakenly diagnosed as autistic before I was diagnosed as Deaf and this is why it bothers me to the degree it does. Alot of the signs of autism especially being socially awkward, not getting the "joke" or picking up on social cues, verbal cues is also common in Deafness because you're deaf. How are you to respond when you cannot hear? When 9/11 happened an entire group of people were demonized, a race. Will we now be seen differently too? Has anyone sat back and thought about this? Not because we're Deaf but because to the general public now, if anyone is socially isolated, or socially awkward it's something to take note of.

There needs to be but this would be an almost impossible task to do. If the person has ever been committed they should not be allowed to own a firearm in my opinion.

There needs to be but this would be an almost impossible task to do. If the person has ever been committed they should not be allowed to own a firearm in my opinion.

opinion? it's actually the law. anybody who has ever been committed would not be able to legally own a firearm.

there was a loophole in Seung Hui Cho's case (Virginia Tech shooting) and that loophole was immediately closed shortly after the tragedy.

My husbands stepfather is a Vietnam war veteran who was committed for post traumatic stress disorder and later diagnosed as a paranoid schizophrenic but he was able to purchase a gun and more than one from a gun shop. Although it's the law it doesn't seem like its' always followed. I'm not sure how he was able to get the firearms he possessed legally but it could have been from this loop hole you mentioned ( which I was not aware of until now ).

My husbands stepfather is a Vietnam war veteran who was committed for post traumatic stress disorder and later diagnosed as a paranoid schizophrenic but he was able to purchase a gun and more than one from a gun shop. Although it's the law it doesn't seem like its' always followed. I'm not sure how he was able to get the firearms he possessed legally but it could have been from this loop hole you mentioned ( which I was not aware of until now ).

when did he purchase a gun?

the loophole was only limited to college students due to FERPA law. the law was revised and now it would be made available to government for background check.

Back