Confession Time :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the first legitimate response I've received on this site so when you say "maybe look around and read before making judgement"... I did. I read everything Rebecca and others have said and made my judgement that this is not a website I want to be apart of. I was labeled a troll and dismissed immediately because I didn't agree with "Rebecca's Room" in a thread where I wasn't even allowed to reply to accusations.

Cute. Fine, if you don't want to be a part of this website. There's the door, feel free to leave. Aint nothing stopping ya.

This is the first legitimate response I've received on this site so when you say "maybe look around and read before making judgement"... I did. I read everything Rebecca and others have said and made my judgement that this is not a website I want to be apart of. I was labeled a troll and dismissed immediately because I didn't agree with "Rebecca's Room" in a thread where I wasn't even allowed to reply to accusations.

Who asked you to come in and 'judge' us? Didn't know I was looking for *your* approval on having my CC on. :roll:

ok... let me see if I can put this into a way you can understand... you are a hearie right? Imagine you are driving in your car, you have your radio station on, then... someone changes it to... I donno... *thinks for a moment* a radio station that is playing an alien language, you can cannot understand, and maybe isn't even audible to you... you want to be able to understand, or "hear" what is going on... it is your car... you are driving... you ask them nicely to change it back, you change it back... but they keep doing it... despite the fact that you 1. own the car... 2... can not hear what is going on... 3. have asked them nicely. Then someone from the alien language comes in and says you have no right to feel that way... because you can always turn it back when they are done... how would that make you feel? And Rebecca, correct me if I am wrong, but wasn't the TV you were complaining about your kids turning off the CC in your room? In the house that you OWN?

And... you were labeled a troll... because... well... 1. you are new... 2. you were making accusations without really understanding what its like... and 3. You say you were here for advice, but then you went on to get defensive and mad at us for wanting to be able to understand what is going on in our own homes. Then you went on to say that the Deaf girl you met was very mean to you... and brought up her hearing... so that makes things worse... well... one thing you need to learn about the Deaf community, if you are going to stick around... yes we are a tight group... but also... we are very blunt... we don't have to beat around the bush... if we feel someone is out of line... we state it... because we... we can... because we shouldn't have to accomodate the hearies like we have for centuries... we (some of us) feel like we have a lot to prove... because we have been labeled "deaf and dumb" "unteachable" "stupid" "broken" "impaired" and many other things.

and honestly... i doubt you have "read everything Rebecca and others have said and made my judgement" because if you had... you would have read thousands upon thousands of pages... this site has been up since 2003 (from my knowledge) I doubt there is a single person who has read "everything" I hope this helps. If you want to learn... ask us... (politely please) and we will help.

lol, NOW he's trolling.

Begone, gnat!

And Rebecca, correct me if I am wrong, but wasn't the TV you were complaining about your kids turning off the CC in your room? In the house that you OWN?

[clipped]

Yes. My house, that *I* pay for solely on my own, is about 4,500 square feet. I have special surround sound set up in *my* Rebecca area so that I can *feel* sounds better and CC helps understand when all I can see is back of actor's head. The *only* difference between my TV and teenager is that theirs is brand new, state of art 45 incher and mine is older 65 incher that 'talks' to surround sound and PVR. Only difference. They do not like CC on their TV because it hides things they are watching. Fine. Don't have CC. But on my F-ING TV I WILL HAVE CC! :giggle:

I've already decided I'll seek my advice somewhere else but, for the record (and using your analogy), it would be as if Rebecca had a car but shared it with her children sometimes because their own car didn't have the features they enjoyed. The children didn't mind (and in fact preferred) the alien music and thus listened to it when they were in the car. If Rebecca was driving with them in the car, they accepted that the normal music would be played in lieu of the alien stuff. No big deal!

I simply stated that turning CC on and off in what I thought was a common room (it's off the kitchen) is not that big of a problem. If the kids turn it off in the same respect Rebecca turns it on, then the actions are equal and opposite and neither side should be offended.

Rebecca's response to this was that it is *HER* personal TV room and I simply suggested that if she switched the TVs, her kids would have no reason to use *HER* room because the TV they liked was downstairs which subsequently meant that she could keep CC on upstairs.

Sure, it's not my specific place to offer advice but I figured since this was a public place and I was seeking advice myself, I'd contribute to the community. I never said I knew everything about the deaf/HoH hearing community or even knew how to relate to it, but I try... for my girlfriend and the greater good of humanity in general.

I'm not a troll, I'm not a bigot, I'm not even mean... but the way Rebecca has treated me has left a sour taste in my mouth about this website that I *HOPE* I don't transfer blindly to the whole deaf/HoH community.

Goodbye.

I've already decided I'll seek my advice somewhere else but, for the record (and using your analogy), it would be as if Rebecca had a car but shared it with her children sometimes because their own car didn't have the features they enjoyed. The children didn't mind (and in fact preferred) the alien music and thus listened to it when they were in the car. If Rebecca was driving with them in the car, they accepted that the normal music would be played in lieu of the alien stuff. No big deal!

I simply stated that turning CC on and off in what I thought was a common room (it's off the kitchen) is not that big of a problem. If the kids turn it off in the same respect Rebecca turns it on, then the actions are equal and opposite and neither side should be offended.

Rebecca's response to this was that it is *HER* personal TV room and I simply suggested that if she switched the TVs, her kids would have no reason to use *HER* room because the TV they liked was downstairs which subsequently meant that she could keep CC on upstairs.

Sure, it's not my specific place to offer advice but I figured since this was a public place and I was seeking advice myself, I'd contribute to the community. I never said I knew everything about the deaf/HoH hearing community or even knew how to relate to it, but I try... for my girlfriend and the greater good of humanity in general.

I'm not a troll, I'm not a bigot, I'm not even mean... but the way Rebecca has treated me has left a sour taste in my mouth about this website that I *HOPE* I don't transfer blindly to the whole deaf/HoH community.

Goodbye.

Yikes! We have created a serial killer! :Ohno:

A while back I made the mistake of expressing my opinion about a reaction I thought was rude. It was a mistake because I did not think my post would be misinterpreted as a 'hearie' telling 'deafies' how to behave. I just posted an opinion I would have shared in any forum or any personal conversation (be it hearing or deaf). I confess the accusation that I was telling deafies how to behave really bothered me because I have been involved in the deaf culture for quite some time now and speak freely with my deaf friends. Conversations do not involve walking on eggshells or reading each others opinions as 'deafie' or 'hearie' ones - no, our conversations are just conversations, one person to another (or others). So, I took a step back and thought about this ... then the lightbulb went on! It's not just about the negative feelings some deaf have about hearing people, it is also about how people react to someone who shows up at a party covered from head to toe. These people cannot see me ... they do not know where I came from, what I am like with friends and family, how I speak and behave in my daily life so, they are wary. They are cautious about letting me join the party and will make assumptions about me based on the behaviour of others who have come before me. Yes, perhaps that is not fair or right but it is natural. It was these thoughts that stopped me from running for the hills from some of the members here and sticking around (so far :P) to do what I came here to do ... meet new people, learn new things, share experiences and have some interesting and entertaining conversations when I have the free time to sit here. :type:

Hmmm now that was one long-a**ed confession :shock:. Feel free to skip over it and move on. lol

Goodbye.

Not a fair analogy at all. If an area of my house, that *I* pay for, is designated as 'deafie' zone then it *STAYS* as deafie zone. Hearie children have their 'hearie' zone. Does not matter *where* 'deafie' zone is. Just because on main floor, off kitchen, does not matter. What matters is that it, from beginning, designated *MY* area. It is disrespectful of teenagers to try to alter *only* safe haven in house for me to understand and I sure as hell am not going to be banished to my bedroom. I mention before, which you do not grasp, that the house is large. Before we move in we 'agree' on who has what area. Teenagers have almost 1,200 square feet of 'hearie' zone to hang? out.

And you are also mistaken in that it *is* a big deal. I have to re-connect certain cables, turn PVR off, re-set CC, make sure text size okay because defaults to factory setting, then turn PVR back on. I cannot do this if PVR is recording shows for me to watch later. It is *not* easy. It is a pain.

If you were *truly* seeking advice here is some from me. Post in the "Introduce Yourself" forum first! Tell us a little about you and what you are seeking in terms of advice. DO NOT jump into a thread about "I ask only on thing from hearies (STEP)" thread and start offering your amazing hearie advice to a forum filled with Deaf posters. It is offensive to many of us to be told to accommodate hearies. Many of us have been doing that our whole life. And to offer advice in *that* thread? :roll:

And, finally, my experience is that people who say things like, "I'm not a bigot. I'm not a troll," are trying *too* hard to convince us that, in reality, they are. If you are truly not a troll then you would not run off, like a little puppy with his tail between his legs, and you would come back for this advice that you were supposedly looking for.

I've already had several posts get denied when there was nothing foul in them. I'm moving on to another site or forum where the hearing aren't ostracized.

Careful not let door hit you ass on way out. :wave:

Oh boy, I'm gone for a few hours and now I come back to this...? :popcorn:

Oh boy, I'm gone for a few hours and now I come back to this...? :popcorn:

Favourite post of the day::roll:

"..this site is arbitrary and slanted towards those who believe the deaf/HoH community should be everyone's first priority?" :shock:

Now, he's *finally* starting to make sense. :giggle:

You have every right to prioritize whatever you feel is important but you make yourself and your community look selfish and rude when you act the way you do. God help any honest/innocent person that stumbles into your fortress here by accident hoping to get some advice.

When a community is ostracized as much as the deaf, they tend to become tight knit and suspicious. Your attempt to assist the woman in the library might have been the 20th time that day she was hit on, and she simply wanted to get her degree, not find a mate.

I don't think the group here is rude, just weary of defending their right to be deaf. When someone with hearing comes here, often times they create an air of superiority around being able to hear. Deaf just want to be accepted as deaf

In reading your post about your HOH girlfriend, my question becomes: Why are you with her? You really need to get to work and figure that out. Learning ASL is a long road. However, it is a short step compared to building a relationship with a solid foundation of honesty. If you consider that communication is one of the top 3 things in a relationship, you have a long path ahead. Now that you have had your attitude soured here, I feel sorry for your girlfriend. She will most likely be held responsible to some extent. BTW, did you have this girlfriend when you made your overtures to "hottt deaf library student" or were you single?

I confess, I forgot to switch out the litter box with a clean one today. The cats are NOT happy. It at least was scooped very well and a deodorizer was used. Th

I confess I already need maternity pants. I foresee new breed whale name Sun Whale before May.

At 6 weeks with both of my pregnancies I was in maternity clothes. If you are at week 11-12, that's not too bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back