Cochlear Implants are the best!

Is it god punishment to take hearing away from you? All this disscussion here on gods plan to make you deaf for a reason. I wonder once you heard and you done something bad to make god angry or upset you think he takes your hearing away as a punishment? I read an article god punished rush limbaugh because of his political beliefs. God can give you a talent but if you use it the wrong way or abuse your talent he can punish you. Read the link here!

ravensteve1961 said:
Is it god punishment to take hearing away from you? All this disscussion here on gods plan to make you deaf for a reason. I wonder once you heard and you done something bad to make god angry or upset you think he takes your hearing away as a punishment? I read an article god punished rush limbaugh because of his political beliefs. God can give you a talent but if you use it the wrong way or abuse your talent he can punish you. Read the link here!

Aren't you reading too much into punishment? How can it be? I was only 2.5 years old. What could a 2.5 year old do that would be terribly punished this way? Or my parents? I don't know what his reasons are for this, but I don't think that it was to punish me at all. Rush Limbaugh got his hearing in one month with a CI and hears about 80 percent of what he did. Is God mad at that? Maybe it was so some people hear about this device because he is on the radio...who knows.

I read the article, and I see that this is dated 2001. Is Rush mute by now? I don't think. Do I think God call people names like 'fat boy?' There are worse people in this world who hasn't been punished this way. I don't believe this stuff, but whatever you want to know ask God and maybe God will tell you if it is in His will.

Last edited:
ravensteve1961 said:

Why would God punish an infant? I was born deaf.

God does NOT punish anyone.

God is not punishing Limbaugh for his political views.

Limbaugh abused painkillers - one of the side effects is hearing loss.

If God is out to punish anyone, surely he would pick someone much more evil than Limbaugh. For instance: child molesters, child killers, dictators, etc ...

:werd: Meg...

God doesn't punish anyone for getting a CI or whatever ...

You think god put you more deaf so CI can make gain more than a hearing aid did? what i read about CI they do more than hearing aids do. They can shut off background noise and allow you considtrate on the person speaking than hearing aids did. CI are bionics but nothing like TV series the bionic woman. I always like watching the six million dollar man and the bionic woman. Not because they helped the goverment but it was a thought elimination of handicapps the person has. Like star trek gave us hope for the future. But six million dollar man and bionic woman gave us a thought what we could bring to improve or eliminating handidcapps. I just wish there was something to make christopher reeve walk again before he died.

hearing aid
n.

A small electronic apparatus that amplifies sound and is worn in or behind the ear to compensate for impaired hearing.

SOURCE: Dictionary.com

Due to the popular belief among the CI opponents, I have to clear one thing up about a common myth. Hearing aids is only capable of amplifying sounds, nothing more. Unlikely the functions of a cochlear implant. A cochlear implant is far more advanced, period.

cochlear implant
n.

An electronic apparatus that allows people with severe hearing loss to recognize some sounds, especially speech sounds, and that consists chiefly of a microphone and receiver, a processor that converts speech into electronic signals, and an array of electrodes that transmit the signals to the auditory nerve in the inner ear.

SOURCE: Dictionary.com

An array of electrodes that transmit the signals to the auditory nerve in the inner ear. That's something the hearing aid is not capable of doing which is why the technology keep improving all of the time while hearing aids stay the same. The digital hearing aid isn't that much of a difference in comparison to the analog hearing aids because it still amplifies, no more.

Banjo said:
The digital hearing aid isn't that much of a difference in comparison to the analog hearing aids because it still amplifies, no more.

I disagree with you there, because I have an old hearing aides that doesn't help me one bit but to hear loud sounds in the background, when I went to see about the other hearing aides they have made over the past months has show a big diffence and it works alot better than the old types they used to make....

So I think it depending on each person who can hear with different types of hearing aides...all they have to do is look around and compare them to whatever hearing aides they are wearing to the new kinds they have out there......CI is one of them too!

^Angel^ said:
I disagree with you there, because I have an old hearing aides that doesn't help me one bit but to hear loud sounds in the background, when I went to see about the other hearing aides they have made over the past months has show a big diffence and it works alot better than the old types they used to make....

So I think it depending on each person who can hear with different types of hearing aides...all they have to do is look around and compare them to whatever hearing aides they are wearing to the new kinds..

I meant the function of the hearing aids, not the quality of it. Sorry for not being clear enough about it the last time around.

Like I said, it amplifies. They are only able to make the sounds much more cleaner allowing you to hear more. But in the end, they only amplifies the sounds surrounding you.

That's what I'm saying.

Banjo said:
They are only able to make the sounds much more cleaner allowing you to hear more. But in the end, they only amplifies the sounds surrounding you.

That's what I'm saying.

You mean CI will allow you to hear more? and control the noise around you?

You don't need CI if you dont want to... If you have faith so be it! may the lord be with you!

Well im thinking about a CI im deaf and im missing out things. Like i just missed hearing the world series but i watched it. The only movies i can watch is old type of silent movies of the 1920s.For those who love NASCAR youre missing out listening to car engines.

ravensteve1961 said:
Well im thinking about a CI im deaf and im missing out things. Like i just missed hearing the world series but i watched it. The only movies i can watch is old type of silent movies of the 1920s.For those who love NASCAR youre missing out listening to car engines.

To be honest, it does sound like you are really hungry for sounds. I would suggest that you contact a doctor to discuss on getting a cochlear implant. You should see if you're qualified to get one or not.

Damn straght im hungry for sounds. I love hearing things. I dont know who really enjoys being deaf but i sure the hell dont. If i had a choice i rather be blind in one eye or cant walk but confined in a wheelchair than being deaf. I think being deaf is the worst kind of handicap you can have. If youre deaf you lost contact with society. You realize the blind have so much advantages then deaf people do? Blind people can enjoy music they can enjoy sports and even listening to the news. For those who can still hear wear hearing aid and do well wrap your eyes for 24 hours and use a walking stick.Turn on the news listen to politicans what they say you cant see all their actions but you can hear how they say things and you decide. I tell you one thing if america was majority blind back in the 1980s ronald reagan would never been elected cause ronald reagan used his acting skills to get in the white house. Blind people cannot see actors. Now if you listen carefuly who would be a better man in the white house. George bush makes more sence than john kerry. So in my mind being deaf is the worst thing can happen to you.

Not really Ravensteve being deaf to me isn't worst thing for me. Just because deaf people cannot hear that doesn't mean they do not fit in the hearing world. every deaf person is different in their own way and nobody is better than anybody. If you think you are better than me, proof it otherwise, grow up. :smash:

im not saying everyone is better than you. Let me tell you this. You do understand the stories reading the newspaper? You trust kerry what you read? Theres a thing called character. You cannot judge a persons character by reading. And a character candidate matters in this country. And you cannot listen to rush limbaugh. If i wanna read rush limbaugh transcripts from the show i have to pay $29,95 for his newsletter. Why pay if i can listen to his show for free? Why should i be penalized for being deaf? So if any of you have a copy of the limbaugh letter please post it here.Thanks.

Ravensteve1961 ,

I rather to be Deaf than being blind or being on a wheelchair but if you think being deaf is alot worse than the others then I suggest you to take Banjo's advice to see if you are qualified to get a CI...I suppose the CI will be able to help you hear the sounds more clearly...but I should warn you that CI doesn't always help everyone, it depending on each person but it wouldn't hurt to try!

Good Luck ! ...;)

You mean CI will allow you to hear more? and control the noise around you?

Not necessarily. It varies from person to person. Some people have had improvement in noise, while in others, it is worse. For me, I struggle a little even if it is 4 people in the room and 2 is conversing louder then me and the person I am talking to. It more of 'cut out' the words that is processed because we dont' have the ability of natural ears which has the cooped up shape to distinguish between noise and sounds. If I am at a party, forget about it. It would be best if I learn to talk to one person, but who can do that when that person wants to join the rest of the convo? It's adaptation, I am used to it, but sometiems it can hurt a little. We only have one CI which we usually get, but some are opting for two for better localization and improved hearing in noise, though this is not guaranteed. You have to read a lot to find out what is best for YOU.

Ravensteve, I understand completely what you are saying. I do not think you are trying to be better than anyone or saying anything harsh, it's just how you feel from your point of view. If I was offered complete hearing, I'd take it because I know how much more I can gain from that. I know there are annoying noises in the world, but compared to the gains that I might get...what's more worth it? People tune out those sounds like I do with my CI also, so it doesn't scare me. Although, I wouldn't pick to be anything else other than deafness because it's a hidden disability, and it allows me to do more--like drive a car and less equipment to manage life. I can't imagine being blind or not being able to walk. I think those take me farther than other disabilities. I am not trying to be mean to others with disabilities, but this is how I see it. Helen Keller felt that deafness kept her away from people which she'd pick to hear over sight. I guess because she had 2 disabilities, she felt she could pick one of the two. It's weird. Anyway, but it seems like you lost your hearing not too long ago and need time to adjust. I feel that I pick up attitudes from reading and listening and reading CC on tv rather well, but we need adapt to that using our other senses. I suggest you contact other people outside of alldeaf doing a search on google because there's more info you can get from there about CI. Go ahead and get it if that is how you truly feel, but keep your expectations in check. It's not going to give 100 percent hearing at all, but it sometimes seems like so on some people. After all, the earlier you get it since hearing loss the easier it'll be to adapt, but take your time to read a lot about cochlear implants before you decide. Make sure that you monitor your feelings about losing your hearing. It's important to take care of your emotions too.

Meg, Rush Limbaugh had autoimmune disease which lead to his hearing loss. It wasn't from his painkillers. That's another thing.

I want to tune out background noise. One of the reasons im having trouble with relationships is because i cant understand what the girl is saying when everyone is talking. I cant yell and sayQUIET!!when im in a party. Girls want to be listen to and be a good listener. But thats hard to do when you have a BIE hearing aid. I just hope a CI can almost put me in a society with normal hearing people so finaly i can enjoy having a wife and a family. I been praying for this for years i think thats why god made me deaf all the way so i can get a CI or wait 5 years for inner ear hair cell implant surgery.

Back