Cochlear Implants are the best!

Mosholder8 said:
I think the implants are the key to the future of the deaf. I honestly think you all should consider getting one. I know you may say that you're proud to be deaf and some may say God won't be happy. God had a plan for us, he gave us a chance to hear. The Implants are our answers. It took me almost 3 years to decide to get it. Honestly I'm telling you, it helps SO much! I can talk on the phone now, talk to people with my head turned away from them.I can understand 80% of everything. God gave me that, and he will give it to you too. For those of you guys that are against it, should give it a chance. Open up and understand.

While i understand that you are happy and excited about your CI, and i'm happy for you, i don't feel that it's right that you come on here and almost force your veiws and beliefs on us telling us that we should all get one. Maybe you don't know that not everyone on this board is deaf, some are HOH, like myself. CI isn't the answer for everyone and you should respect people who don't agree with CI or simply don't have a desire to get one.

Don't throw your religious beliefs into it either, saying God wants this and God wants that and God gave you this and God gave you that. Like Cheri said, God didn't give you the oppourtunity to get the CI, DOCTORS did.

But basically, don't come posting on here forcing your veiws on people. Your last sentence you tell us to "open up and understand" Good advice: why don't you listen to yourself? Your post makes you sound very close-minded.

Mosholder8 said:
I think the implants are the key to the future of the deaf. I honestly think you all should consider getting one. I know you may say that you're proud to be deaf and some may say God won't be happy. God had a plan for us, he gave us a chance to hear. The Implants are our answers. It took me almost 3 years to decide to get it. Honestly I'm telling you, it helps SO much! I can talk on the phone now, talk to people with my head turned away from them.I can understand 80% of everything. God gave me that, and he will give it to you too. For those of you guys that are against it, should give it a chance. Open up and understand.

:madfawk: God do not make the technology as metal objects !! God makes us Deaf person as normal !! We do not deserve to be suffer in many years from the hearing people who oppressed on us.

They treated us as Planet of Apes to put us in the cages to learn how to speak in many hours.

No Thanks ! Kiss my Ass !! Fuck the government and ADA, they are all :bsflag: brainwashed to many parents, what is the best for their healthy and innocent Deaf children.

VamPyroX said:
If you are deaf, then it was God's plan to make you deaf. If he meant for you to be hearing, he would have let you stay hearing instead of becoming deaf.

:werd: right on Vampy!!!!

skeptikaltruth said:
i do feel that a cochlear implant is the best way to go....i feel that i have the best of both worldz, it'z better than being "completely" deaf

If you think it is best for you Then Good. But do not tell us what u think we should feel.

it was funny though, once a deaf person was really discriminating against me for having a cochlear implant....made me feel really bad so i put on my headphonez and i was about to walk away....then she started talkin about how she can't listen to music and she hatez herself for that.....i couldn't help but think if she hatez me so much for havin this, and she feelz so deeply that i should've "stayed deaf" as she put it, then why is she complaining herself
U should be happy with urself. Who cares what other thinks of you. If you are happy then be happy.

a lot of deaf people complain about being deaf yet they're against cochlear implantz....i just don't understand it, it seemz like an oxymoron
Did I say I was against Ci? Maybe cuz they are against it cuz u love to rub that in people face.. Don't show off maybe you would not get too judgement by them.

while i agree with mosholder that it helpz a lerge percentage

U agree that she is force feeding us that we HAVE to have Ci? I Disagree Sorry! That is so Lame for People to Control other People's life. We make our own Choice what is best for ourselves.

Implants.

Okay...umm...I wasn't sure whether or not I should respond to this because well...it applies to me too! But I do have a couple of things to add...

I have a cochlear implant...and I'll be honest here and say that I'm not too happy with things right now.

I got it two years ago...and I DO NOT IN ANY WAY think that it's the best thing in the world. I was happy with hearing aids. I was hearing what I thought was enough to hear, you know? Everything was low-pitched, but it was still satisfying. I got implanted only because I wanted to hear every single thing that came out of my son's mouth. He was a nearly a year old and I was missing his first words, his "Ma-ma's" and "Da-da's." I wasn't hearing him cry from two rooms down...and he would laugh just as my back was turned and then when I look at everyone else, I see them all smiling and once again, I've completely missed the "joke." I'm used to this, though, I've been missing a WHOLE LOT since I was born deaf. But this was my SON, my baby. I wanted to HEAR HIM. Not to mention my doctor, my husband and my mother were also bothering the hell out of me to go ahead and do it...it would open up so many new doors for me, they claimed...it would change your life...all of those things said in previous posts...(can you say...flashbacks!?)

So, anyway, we made the necessary appointments, went into the city, made the arrangements and my surgery was 4/1/01. The turn-on was the following month, and I've been going for the mappings, and for the programming...which is more of a pain in the ass than it is a pleasure. See, I don't mean to complain, but my GOD, it is a LOT of work. You have to REALLY put your whole being into the speech therapy, the auditory training, the mappings, the maintenance, the batteries, the changing batteries 2-3 times a day, the keeping track of the earpiece, the explaining what the hell it is to people...you know? It's a lot...and I honestly ask myself WTF I got myself into...

I do go for the mappings, but since I was in the process of changing insurances at the end of last summer so I stopped going for the speech and auditory therapy...and this winter in January, I almost died from bacterial meningitis. The doctor who implanted me believes that it happened because a plastic piece called a "positioner" was used to hold in the electrodes. According to him, it's not completely necessary anymore and they no longer use them when they perform surgeries today. The use of a positioner or a "spacer" creates a gap and should I get an ear infection or strep throat, the bacteria would build up and fester in that space. It is believed that that is how I contracted bacterial meningitis. Not only that, but the model of implant I currently wear has been RECALLED and I never heard a WORD from the company (Advanced Bionics) to notify me. No certified mail, NOTHING. So you know what? I'm planning to SUE their asses. Maybe a lesson would be learned here and no one else would go un-notified about something as serious.

So you know, this is why right now I have nothing but a :dunno: to say about the cochlear implant. I could be biased but you know, 2 days in the hospital, 2 days in isolation and two weeks at home with an IV would do that to anyone. I am just NOW, in the middle of March, feeling back to my normal self. Recovery was a bitch!

By the way...a side note here...everyone gets different things out of their implants. You may be able to use the telephone and listen to music, but you gotta keep in mind that there are some people (use me for an example if you wish) who cannot. At least, not yet. It takes a long, long time to get to that point, and I don't see myself getting there...not yet.

So, you know, it makes NO difference to me whether the rest of you on AD have an implant or are simply satisfied with your hearing aids, or with wearing nothing at all. I love each and every one of you (that I've had the pleasure of meeting, LOL) and I would never, EVER judge anyone for what their choices are. I do NOT believe in pushing anything down anyone's throat. All I am able to do is offer you my own experiences and hope that it will help you to make your decision. Like you said...deaf is deaf. The implant won't change that. You're still deaf when you take it off at night and you take a shower. You're still deaf, but you've been taken to a higher level with what you're capable of hearing. The sound quality is very different, and mark my words, you HATE it in the beginning. It all seems so foreign, so dissonant. But...your choices are your own, only! Do not allow for anyone to sway you or your beliefs.

It's a lotta work, my friends. AND you know what the biggest risks are. So...whatever you want for yourselves, I respect...and others should, too!

Malfoyish

Malfoyish said:
Not only that, but the model of implant I currently wear has been RECALLED and I never heard a WORD from the company (Advanced Bionics) to notify me. No certified mail, NOTHING. So you know what? I'm planning to SUE their asses. Maybe a lesson would be learned here and no one else would go un-notified about something as serious

Malfoyish -- ur experiences with CI was very interesting and i feel so bad for u on ur experiences and yes u are right, it is ur own choice -- my question is -- how did u hear that ur model of CI was being recalled when u have never gotten written notification on that particular model qq

:bowdown: Beautiful :bowdown: Beautiful !!....U have said it soooooo WELL Malfoyish!!....I couldn't say it better than you have darlin' ! ;)

Malfoyish said:
Okay...umm...I wasn't sure whether or not I should respond to this because well...it applies to me too! But I do have a couple of things to add...

I have a cochlear implant...and I'll be honest here and say that I'm not too happy with things right now.

I got it two years ago...and I DO NOT IN ANY WAY think that it's the best thing in the world. I was happy with hearing aids. I was hearing what I thought was enough to hear, you know? Everything was low-pitched, but it was still satisfying. I got implanted only because I wanted to hear every single thing that came out of my son's mouth. He was a nearly a year old and I was missing his first words, his "Ma-ma's" and "Da-da's." I wasn't hearing him cry from two rooms down...and he would laugh just as my back was turned and then when I look at everyone else, I see them all smiling and once again, I've completely missed the "joke." I'm used to this, though, I've been missing a WHOLE LOT since I was born deaf. But this was my SON, my baby. I wanted to HEAR HIM. Not to mention my doctor, my husband and my mother were also bothering the hell out of me to go ahead and do it...it would open up so many new doors for me, they claimed...it would change your life...all of those things said in previous posts...(can you say...flashbacks!?)

So, anyway, we made the necessary appointments, went into the city, made the arrangements and my surgery was 4/1/01. The turn-on was the following month, and I've been going for the mappings, and for the programming...which is more of a pain in the ass than it is a pleasure. See, I don't mean to complain, but my GOD, it is a LOT of work. You have to REALLY put your whole being into the speech therapy, the auditory training, the mappings, the maintenance, the batteries, the changing batteries 2-3 times a day, the keeping track of the earpiece, the explaining what the hell it is to people...you know? It's a lot...and I honestly ask myself WTF I got myself into...

I do go for the mappings, but since I was in the process of changing insurances at the end of last summer so I stopped going for the speech and auditory therapy...and this winter in January, I almost died from bacterial meningitis. The doctor who implanted me believes that it happened because a plastic piece called a "positioner" was used to hold in the electrodes. According to him, it's not completely necessary anymore and they no longer use them when they perform surgeries today. The use of a positioner or a "spacer" creates a gap and should I get an ear infection or strep throat, the bacteria would build up and fester in that space. It is believed that that is how I contracted bacterial meningitis. Not only that, but the model of implant I currently wear has been RECALLED and I never heard a WORD from the company (Advanced Bionics) to notify me. No certified mail, NOTHING. So you know what? I'm planning to SUE their asses. Maybe a lesson would be learned here and no one else would go un-notified about something as serious.

So you know, this is why right now I have nothing but a :dunno: to say about the cochlear implant. I could be biased but you know, 2 days in the hospital, 2 days in isolation and two weeks at home with an IV would do that to anyone. I am just NOW, in the middle of March, feeling back to my normal self. Recovery was a bitch!

By the way...a side note here...everyone gets different things out of their implants. You may be able to use the telephone and listen to music, but you gotta keep in mind that there are some people (use me for an example if you wish) who cannot. At least, not yet. It takes a long, long time to get to that point, and I don't see myself getting there...not yet.

So, you know, it makes NO difference to me whether the rest of you on AD have an implant or are simply satisfied with your hearing aids, or with wearing nothing at all. I love each and every one of you (that I've had the pleasure of meeting, LOL) and I would never, EVER judge anyone for what their choices are. I do NOT believe in pushing anything down anyone's throat. All I am able to do is offer you my own experiences and hope that it will help you to make your decision. Like you said...deaf is deaf. The implant won't change that. You're still deaf when you take it off at night and you take a shower. You're still deaf, but you've been taken to a higher level with what you're capable of hearing. The sound quality is very different, and mark my words, you HATE it in the beginning. It all seems so foreign, so dissonant. But...your choices are your own, only! Do not allow for anyone to sway you or your beliefs.

It's a lotta work, my friends. AND you know what the biggest risks are. So...whatever you want for yourselves, I respect...and others should, too!

Malfoyish

Beautiful Statement right there Malfoyish. I can't tell How that Makes me Feel that U are not like the rest of the CI that rubs "CI's are the Best, You should get one" I do not see that coming from you. Yet you Seem like the Most Mature Person I know that who has CI... I admire your Courage to say its up to us what we want for ourselves. You are Correct(Respect is the Key).. . Most people are forgetting that lately. Therefore some People do not have a clue what is best for us maybe it is best for their own way to get CI. but that does not mean we all have to have one. :ily: :grouphug:

Deaf258 said:
Mosholder8,

you need to read out loud the following
slogan and hear yourself say:

"Resistance Is Futile!
sttng168.gif

You Will Be Assimilated!"
You've been watching too much Star Trek... :crazy:

Fly Free said:
Malfoyish -- ur experiences with CI was very interesting and i feel so bad for u on ur experiences and yes u are right, it is ur own choice -- my question is -- how did u hear that ur model of CI was being recalled when u have never gotten written notification on that particular model qq

I went to see my doctor after the meningitis...and he was the one who told me about the recall. It's not his fault or responsibility to tell me, but the company's, and he was just as shocked that I never heard anything.

Malfoyish

Malfoyish said:

Malfoyish
:werd: It seems like a lot of people have this assumption that they will be able to hear and understand everything as soon as they get their CIs. In reality, you will hear more... but you won't understand it yet. In a way, you're starting all over and the process is slower than those of babies. In other words, you get CIs... a baby's gonna learn how to understand what's being said and begin speaking properly faster than you would.

No, I'm not saying "you" to Malfoyish... "you" as anyone.

VamPyroX said:
:werd: It seems like a lot of people have this assumption that they will be able to hear and understand everything as soon as they get their CIs. In reality, you will hear more... but you won't understand it yet. In a way, you're starting all over and the process is slower than those of babies. In other words, you get CIs... a baby's gonna learn how to understand what's being said and begin speaking properly faster than you would.

No, I'm not saying "you" to Malfoyish... "you" as anyone.

Yeah, Vampy...people seem to jump into these things with both feet and not take into consideration that there's a LOT to get accustomed to. So...this is one case where reality can slap you in the face.

Malfoyish

Hi Malfoyish :fly:

I find your description over your feeling is real wonderful... It´s good for anyone to read your statement how you feel since you had CI.

I like your honest for that...

Well Done, Malfoyish... ;)

VamPyroX said:
You've been watching too much Star Trek... :crazy:

What's wrong with being a Deaf Trekkie? ;) But the concept remains the same for those CI-pushers, they're the Borgs!

I have no problems with CIs. If they work for you, wonderful! If you wear CIs and you pick on me to get them, I will tell you to take your CIs and shove them far up your ass and yell, "I can HEAR! I can HEAR!" CIs are not for everyone, just the same as speech is not for everyone! Just my humble opinion!

Mosholder8 said:

I respect your opinion over CI but anyone can´t expect that we should consider CI because anyone think CI would change our life... I would like to say that it´s nothing change if you have CI or not because you are still deaf like us.
I´m happy with everything what I have... I can´t see why I should change it but it would be different if I´m child. I know it´s good for the children to have it to learn their speech & hear development...
I believe it´s not necassary for an adult to have CI but I respect their wish to have CI.

That´s all what I have opinion... ;)

About suing.... don't all American CI implantees sign a contract before the operation stating that if anything goes wrong, they are NOT legally responsible? I don't know how it works nowadays, but Australia has never had a contract. I know that the contract is legally binding, and that it HAS to be signed before the operation. Kinda makes you worry doesn't it, but if you signed such a contract, then you would not be able to sue. Or doesn't this exist anymore?

Not sure...but if something that I have inside of my head was recalled, I have every right to know...and I had NO idea...it was recalled in July 2001, I had the surgery in April 2001. I would think that something of this magnitude would overrule anything signed since it WOULD be their responsibility since it's their product...but... :dunno: I've been told I have a good case, so I'll see what happens.

Malfoyish

Malfoyish said:
Not sure...but if something that I have inside of my head was recalled, I have every right to know...and I had NO idea...it was recalled in July 2001, I had the surgery in April 2001. I would think that something of this magnitude would overrule anything signed since it WOULD be their responsibility since it's their product...but... :dunno: I've been told I have a good case, so I'll see what happens.

Malfoyish
Well, if they happen to give you millions of dollars... can I have some?

umm where is Mosholder8? Mosholder8 haven't return to answer each of you. I assume mosholder8 have no answers for you guys. :roll:

Back