Cochlear decison

Status
Not open for further replies.
That doesn't surprise me at all. Insurance companies are more willing to cover CI surgery because they think that they will only ever have to pay out on that one claim, and all claims that have to do with hearing loss will be gone. They don't cover hearing aids because they will have to be responsible for paying to have them replaced every so often.

That is the old story from the manufacturerers and the doctors that CI is more cost efficient.:roll: It is all about profit.

Yeah. My insurance do pay some for CI but CI is worth about 8 thousands, if it were damaged then insurance can cover like 3000 and we pay about 5000. Still it is a lot of $$$ whoa!! My insurnace didnt have HA three years ago but last year It came back on, wootz. Insurance only can pay 1000. I dont mind because i ll pay less than 2000 for getting a new HA if the HA itself costs 3000 or less. I have not look around HA yet as to what I still can't afford for 1000 or so yet. We are focusing on my hub first since his work is priority as he needs his CI. My hub learned something about it too bad how greedy for CI company to make those CI users to become addict and cant afford it more despressing. it is just like a drug problem. eh.

Supposedly Cochlear Implants are to be considered when a Hearing Aid is "unsuitable for one's level of hearing loss".Presumably one can determine if a Hearing Aid is "working" or not by the test-can I "hear-somewhat- now"?

The above based on my experience over the last 40 years.

Implanted A B Harmony activated Aug/07

Supposedly Cochlear Implants are to be considered when a Hearing Aid is "unsuitable for one's level of hearing loss".Presumably one can determine if a Hearing Aid is "working" or not by the test-can I "hear-somewhat- now"?

The above based on my experience over the last 40 years.

Implanted A B Harmony activated Aug/07

Huh? You have 40 years experience but wonder if an audiologist can tell if a HA/CI is working? :|

If so, then no big deal because one can always go to an unaccredited online charm school for the degree.

Then you certainly need to find one to go to, as your charm is non-exisitent.

Wirelessly posted

jillio said:
If so, then no big deal because one can always go to an unaccredited online charm school for the degree.

Then you certainly need to find one to go to, as your charm is non-exisitent.

did you really miss the point of that post? I thought it was pretty harsh and fired directly at you!

Wirelessly posted

did you really miss the point of that post? I thought it was pretty harsh and fired directly at you!

Yeah, you and Rick both have issues. :roll: Neither one of you know what the hell you are talking about, but spend a lot of time spouting off anyway. Nice to know that you both think I have so much credibility that you need to spend a great deal of your time trying to discredit me.:laugh2:

You'd be much better off it you spent all that time earning a few credentials of your own. Then you wouldn't have to be so jealous of those that do.:lol:

Pretty obvious that you and rick are in touch. "Hey, go look at the post I just made putting jillio in her place!" You guys are just too juvenile to even be thought of as adults. And you are doing a great job at showing people who you really are. I don't know why you keep coming back here. No one takes anything either one of you say as serious. Guess it is just that sick need for attention.

What happened to your little buddy that started this thread?

Wirelessly posted

jillio said:
Wirelessly posted

Yeah, you and Rick both have issues. :roll: Neither one of you know what the hell you are talking about, but spend a lot of time spouting off anyway. Nice to know that you both think I have so much credibility that you need to spend a great deal of your time trying to discredit me.:laugh2:

You'd be much better off it you spent all that time earning a few credentials of your own. Then you wouldn't have to be so jealous of those that do.:lol:

Pretty obvious that you and rick are in touch. "Hey, go look at the post I just made putting jillio in her place!" You guys are just too juvenile to even be thought of as adults. And you are doing a great job at showing people who you really are. I don't know why you keep coming back here. No one takes anything either one of you say as serious. Guess it is just that sick need for attention.

What happened to your little buddy that started this thread?

in touch? Not at all! Paranoid much? I have never communicated with rick outside this public forum.

sorry to disappoint you.

Riiiight. I believe that about as much as I believe anything else you say.:laugh2:

Thanks for the laughs.:wave:

Amazing that you deign yourself the arbiter of who is and who is not cordial. Perhaps you should take a look in the mirror.

Anyway, having too good a night to let you and the rest of the anti-ci crowd get me down.

Have a nice life.
Rick

Get over it rick. This is NOT the early '90's and the CI controversy has died down quite a bit. As a matter of fact, I predict in the next five-ten years the anti CIers will become as archic as the anti HAers.
Besides, you who claim that we're all anti CI, don't even understand. We're bringing up related issues, and then you guys get offended and claim we're anti CI.

Wirelessly posted

deafdyke said:
Amazing that you deign yourself the arbiter of who is and who is not cordial. Perhaps you should take a look in the mirror.

Anyway, having too good a night to let you and the rest of the anti-ci crowd get me down.

Have a nice life.
Rick

Get over it rick. This is NOT the early '90's and the CI controversy has died down quite a bit. As a matter of fact, I predict in the next five-ten years the anti CIers will become as archic as the anti HAers.
Besides, you who claim that we're all anti CI, don't even understand. We're bringing up related issues, and then you guys get offended and claim we're anti CI.

you may not be anti-CI but there are plenty of people here who post every single day that they are against childhood implantation. Way more than step up and say they support it!

you may not be anti-CI but there are plenty of people here who post every single day that they are against childhood implantation. Way more than step up and say they support it!

Frankly, childhood implantations are unnecessary. You're just a self-appointed expert on these matters.

Wirelessly posted

Get a clue. :giggle:

Wirelessly posted

Not supporting childhood implantation and being anti-CI are two very different things.:roll:

Frankly, childhood implantations are unnecessary. You're just a self-appointed expert on these matters.
Why are they so unnecessary? Again i will say this again, implanting in a child will allow the child to hear the voices that are surrounding him, and he can adapt and learn to use his voice, his cochlea and then communicate oral.

The cochlea needs to "wake" up and then adapt to "hearing" singles from the implant and that can be a long process, buts its better when the child is younger cause its just like training a puppy.

This doesn't make you can remove ASL away from the child. Teach the child some ASL, and if the child grows to love it (implant) (like me and many others) then yay, if the child grows up and hates it (like JDN) they would still know ASL.

Education portation, i dont know much cause I'm in mainstream but i do just well.

Not supporting childhood implantation and being anti-CI are two very different things.:roll:
Thank you for bring this up, i completely agree with you.

Why are they so unnecessary? Again i will say this again, implanting in a child will allow the child to hear the voices that are surrounding him, and he can adapt and learn to use his voice, his cochlea and then communicate oral.

The cochlea needs to "wake" up and then adapt to "hearing" singles from the implant and that can be a long process, buts its better when the child is younger cause its just like training a puppy.

This doesn't make you can remove ASL away from the child. Teach the child some ASL, and if the child grows to love it (implant) (like me and many others) then yay, if the child grows up and hates it (like JDN) they would still know ASL.

No, it's due to the fact that it is an invasive surgery. Nearby all surgeries come with risks, little and big. However, hearing loss is not a serious health condition, people can survive just fine on their own. There are a number of children who suffered partial paralysis due to the severing of the nerves. For instance, there is at least one child not too far from the city I live in, one of the child's arms is fully numb and cannot function properly. It was a complication of the surgery. The child is fluent in ASL and is doing just fine nowadays life-wise and education-wise despite the paralysis.

People are often quick to dismiss these claims because they may have never met anyone who went through such a thing. The fact is, it happens quite a bit, but people just are not aware of it. These cases are often settled out of the courtroom and in private, they sign waivers and are bound by confidentiality if agreed upon.

It's clear that not many adults are aware of how sensitive the babies' bodies are, especially when it come to their nervous system. One tiny, tiny cut can compromise a large part of the infant's body. If it was a heart condition, then that's an entirely different matter because that is a life and death situation. Hearing loss is not, and it can be worked with. There's also the risks of meningitis, vertigo, bacterial infections, migraines, facial numbness and many more. Not really the worth the risk.

It has nothing to do with ASL, it's about the child's health and wellbeing.

Yes.....and I think virtually everyone 100% supports implantation if the baby/toddler is deep profound. Nothing wrong with that, and there ARE kids who cannot benifit from hearing aids. But most of us who are kind of .....iffy about early childhood implantation are that way both b/c it is VERY hard to accuratly tell how well a kid can hear without a traditional soundbooth test, and b/c we see CIs being touted like digital hearing aids were five or ten years ago!
And heck....bbaseballboy agrees 100% with us!!!! THAT tells you something!

If you want to implant, pls still consider making ASL and the Deaf community a part of your child's life. Many of us werent exposed to it growing up and wished we had that. Would have made life a lot easier.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back