Cochlear decison

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cvtorres

Reaction score
I have a two and a half year old cousin who is deaf from both ears, so is hi dad.. We are considering gettin him the cochlear implant on both ease now that it is still early so he can develop speech normally.. Any comments, suggestions? The decision is a tough one to make and we want to make sure it's the right one.

Consider the "possibilities": Don't get an Implant- who will teach the child ASL et al- His father? Will the babies' speech development be affected? If so, then what?

Consideration re Implant: does the baby have "something unsuitable" for it? ( I understand from the center -Sunnybrook/Toronto-where I got mine-over 60 % of adults are rejected over a 19 year period which ended last year) The baby is suitable-implanted and assisted in speech development. The next "problem" paying for the implants?.

What is the "correct decision" somewhat depends on specific facts.

Good luck in this situation.

Implanted-Sunnybrook/Toronto Advanced Bionics-Harmony activated Aug/07

Well theres two companies that offer very high quailty implants and processors.

I have both of the latest implants and processors. What I had learn is, the implant doesn't really matter since they both are made for the same purpose.

Its the processor that each company provides.

Companies included are cochlear of america and Advanced Bionics

Also, if your cousin doesnt like the implants in the future, he can always just take off the processor.

But I do agree to implant them while they are young cause its like training a dog at a younger age. Its easier for them to adapt and hear like a dog is trained and adapts easier to trick than when they are older.

I have a two and a half year old cousin who is deaf from both ears, so is hi dad.. We are considering gettin him the cochlear implant on both ease now that it is still early so he can develop speech normally.. Any comments, suggestions? The decision is a tough one to make and we want to make sure it's the right one.

His dad is deaf too? They sign?

I am Deaf to the core, and I never needed to hear at all.

Please make sure your decision is based on the kid himself, not the convenience of the family. By that I mean for the family to say "Oh we can speak, make the kid to be able to hear so he can understand us". There's a lot of work related to getting a CI.

It's easier for the kid to have the family to learn sign language than going through all the therapy. This is because the child will be always visual no matter what.

It only makes sense to use his strongest sense, his eyes, to his advantage.

Well theres two companies that offer very high quailty implants and processors.

I have both of the latest implants and processors. What I had learn is, the implant doesn't really matter since they both are made for the same purpose.

Its the processor that each company provides.

Companies included are cochlear of america and Advanced Bionics

Also, if your cousin doesnt like the implants in the future, he can always just take off the processor.

But I do agree to implant them while they are young cause its like training a dog at a younger age. Its easier for them to adapt and hear like a dog is trained and adapts easier to trick than when they are older.

Sorry to disagree but there are three companies that offer very high quality implants and processors...Med-El is just as good as the other two...perhaps better...it doesnt get recalled every few years...

Just my two cents but I am biased to Med-El as I was implanted back in April and have been doing great ever since.

Yeah I saw his post and was thinking, wow... AB does get recalls every now and then. Its crazy.

Better for who?

Cochlear implant surgery is still surgery. There is a risk of infection, including meningitis (the meningitis vaccine does NOT prevent all types of meningitis!) as with any surgery, there is the risk of anesthesia death, and really all sorts of complications to be considered.

Is it worth it in this context for the child to hear? Does the family (in this case, the father) value hearing? Do they consider it an acceptable risk that the child may be harmed or (rarely) killed by the surgery? Does the child have a condition that can probably be treated with surgery?

Does the child have any other medical conditions? Certain tests, especially an MRI, may be difficult with a CI and that is a consideration if the child has other medical conditions. It is also important to consider other medical conditions when thinking about how safe the surgery will be for the child.

Can they afford the surgery? Can they afford subsequent speech therapy? Do they understand the risks and benefits of speech therapy, and the long-term commitment required which may interfere with the child's ability to go out and enjoy their childhood?

Do they understand the risks and benefits of a deaf signing classroom versus an oral-only or mixed classroom? do they think they want the child to be mainstreamed? Will a cochlear implant help them accomplish their current educational goals?

Personally, I don't believe it is ever ethical to implant children who are too young to consent. Some people think it is unethical -not- to implant a child, because they place a higher value on hearing than I do.

Either way, a lot of people on this forum will agree, the child should be exposed to sign language if they are not already- asap. Even of the child gets a CI, the benefits of learning sign language and communicating effectively will last forever.

Sorry to disagree but there are three companies that offer very high quality implants and processors...Med-El is just as good as the other two...perhaps better...it doesnt get recalled every few years...

Just my two cents but I am biased to Med-El as I was implanted back in April and have been doing great ever since.

Oh right, I would actually say Med-El is more reliable than AB. But how about the processor?

Just look at my history with AB in my sig (....lol)

Better for who?

Cochlear implant surgery is still surgery. There is a risk of infection, including meningitis (the meningitis vaccine does NOT prevent all types of meningitis!) as with any surgery, there is the risk of anesthesia death, and really all sorts of complications to be considered.

Is it worth it in this context for the child to hear? Does the family (in this case, the father) value hearing? Do they consider it an acceptable risk that the child may be harmed or (rarely) killed by the surgery? Does the child have a condition that can probably be treated with surgery?

Does the child have any other medical conditions? Certain tests, especially an MRI, may be difficult with a CI and that is a consideration if the child has other medical conditions. It is also important to consider other medical conditions when thinking about how safe the surgery will be for the child.

Can they afford the surgery? Can they afford subsequent speech therapy? Do they understand the risks and benefits of speech therapy, and the long-term commitment required which may interfere with the child's ability to go out and enjoy their childhood?

Do they understand the risks and benefits of a deaf signing classroom versus an oral-only or mixed classroom? do they think they want the child to be mainstreamed? Will a cochlear implant help them accomplish their current educational goals?

Personally, I don't believe it is ever ethical to implant children who are too young to consent. Some people think it is unethical -not- to implant a child, because they place a higher value on hearing than I do.

Either way, a lot of people on this forum will agree, the child should be exposed to sign language if they are not already- asap. Even of the child gets a CI, the benefits of learning sign language and communicating effectively will last forever.
Dont wanna argue but the bolded part, I have to agree. Besides the fact (if you decide to get an implant) that the child will be speaking/hearing from speech therapy, and I mean A LOT of speech therapy, i still recommend having the child learn sign. Just saying.

Right now, being 17, I had a lot, and I mean.. ALOT of speech therapy to the point where I can talk and hear very well, even people are surprised I can talk so well, and not talk "deaf". But thats because I had very intense speech program.

Wirelessly posted

Aleser said:
Better for who?

no child has ever died during a CI surgery. There have been meningitis cases, but that was with a previous, high risk internal device and those people were not vaccinated.

the question comes down to value. Do you wish your child to have the opqportunity to hear and understand the spoken language of others without lipreading? If that doesn't matter to you, a CI might not be for your family.

(also, it is very important to be committed to the follow up and to know if yourchild has any additional risk factors such as malformed cochleas.)

anesthesia death is extremely rare now
but side effect is still occurs for me, i recall a few years back i had a bad reaction i had to stay another night at hossy (private hospital) after a surgery to have screws and plates removed from my ankle the anesthesia wore off but it left my brain really confused which i was unable to sleep AT ALL, like i was probably given adrenline to recover (?!) and vomitting every half an hour for the entire day it was really awful, the servofluroane did not suit me, while its supposed to be the most expensive, bestest out there, weird. fast in, and fast out but my body didnt cope with it.

Cvtorres,

I am the parent of a child who was implanted in 1989 when she was the same age as your cousin is now. Today, she is a college graduate, has her Masters Degree and is on the verge of landing her dream job. The suggestion I have for your cousin's mom and dad is to learn as much as they can, especially from those who either have cochlear implants and/or their families. Understand that a lot of the negativity that they will encounter, especially on this forum, comes from those who rant the loudest and longest against cochlear implants for children neither have an implant nor a child with an implant but what they do have is an agenda.

Most of all, tell your cousin's parents to do what they think is in the best interests of their child as they have determined. While I agree the decision is not an easy one, looking back after nearly 25 years I can honestly say it is the best decision we ever made. Surround her with love and support whatever path they choose to take.

Best wishes,
Rick

I suggest you to allow your child to make a choice if they want to hear or not.

I'm just curious, why is a cousin involved with such a family decision?

Wirelessly posted

no child has ever died during a CI surgery. There have been meningitis cases, but that was with a previous, high risk internal device and those people were not vaccinated.

the question comes down to value. Do you wish your child to have the opqportunity to hear and understand the spoken language of others without lipreading? If that doesn't matter to you, a CI might not be for your family.

(also, it is very important to be committed to the follow up and to know if yourchild has any additional risk factors such as malformed cochleas.)

Not dying during the surgery, and dying as a result of the surgery is a distinction that really doesn't matter. The consequence is still the same.

So, it comes down to: do you want to hold onto audist perspectives and force them on your child, or do you want them to have the experience of knowing that they are complete and valuable in and of themselves no matter what they hear or don't hear.

It is important to realize that you will be making a committment to an oral only environment which may be more convenient for you, but not necessarily the best for the child.

Another brand new poster starting a controversial thread with their very first post? And in both cases the child in question is two-years old.

What a curious coincidence.

Yes. This seems to be happening all over the forum.:cool2: And notice as well, that these posts are being made, and then suddenly, the most audist members of AD show up shortly thereafter to post replies. It is especially suspicious when one of them only shows up to support the other one when she is being backed against the wall in her inconsistent and audist statements.

We have all noticed these patterns before. But the posts being made so close together and so similar is a new twist. I guess someone feels the need to manufacture controversy and manipulate people in an attempt to prove their own distorted beliefs.

Cvtorres,

I am the parent of a child who was implanted in 1989 when she was the same age as your cousin is now. Today, she is a college graduate, has her Masters Degree and is on the verge of landing her dream job. The suggestion I have for your cousin's mom and dad is to learn as much as they can, especially from those who either have cochlear implants and/or their families. Understand that a lot of the negativity that they will encounter, especially on this forum, comes from those who rant the loudest and longest against cochlear implants for children neither have an implant nor a child with an implant but what they do have is an agenda.

Most of all, tell your cousin's parents to do what they think is in the best interests of their child as they have determined. While I agree the decision is not an easy one, looking back after nearly 25 years I can honestly say it is the best decision we ever made. Surround her with love and support whatever path they choose to take.

Best wishes,
Rick

I love the way you guys are manufacturing the opportunities to state your own audist opinions. :laugh2::laugh2: It is so transparent.

I am the parent of a child who was implanted in 1989 when she was the same age as your cousin is now. Today, she is a college graduate, has her Masters Degree and is on the verge of landing her dream job.
Wow, and all because of a cochlear implant? They really are miracle devices, aren't they?

Wouldn't it be cool if Deaf people without cochlear implants could realize similar success? Oh, wait, they can...

There's more to life than hearing.

My wife has a Masters degree and she doesn't even have a cochlear implant. She does wear hearing aids though. She can speak and read lips, but she's also fluent in ASL. She is Deaf.

She didn't earn her Masters degree at Gallaudet University. Deaf people can earn their Masters degrees anywhere they wish to.

Wow, and all because of a cochlear implant? They really are miracle devices, aren't they?

Wouldn't it be cool if Deaf people without cochlear implants could realize similar success? Oh, wait, they can...

There's more to life than hearing.

Wow, Rick responds positively about his daughter's CI experience, yet emphasizes that there's no one right path to take, that it's up the the parents and he wishes them well no matter what. And you take that as if 1. He attributes all of what his daughter has accomplished to some technology instead of his child and 2. He us suggesting that people without can never achieve the same? Where do you pull this from? That's just way off base.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back