Cochlear decison

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would suggest that you not get involved in what is obviously going on here.:cool2: Unless of course, you are already involved...in which case I would suggest that you back away.

Wow, Rick responds positively about his daughter's CI experience, yet emphasizes that there's no one right path to take, that it's up the the parents and he wishes them well no matter what. And you take that as if 1. He attributes all of what his daughter has accomplished to some technology instead of his child and 2. He us suggesting that people without can never achieve the same? Where do you pull this from? That's just way off base.

You are using the word, positivity too loosely. By the way, it's obvious you are not aware of Rick's history. He is hardly one of the cordial types.

Understand that a lot of the negativity that they will encounter, especially on this forum, comes from those who rant the loudest and longest against cochlear implants for children neither have an implant nor a child with an implant but what they do have is an agenda.

Wow, Rick responds positively about his daughter's CI experience, yet emphasizes that there's no one right path to take, that it's up the the parents and he wishes them well no matter what. And you take that as if 1. He attributes all of what his daughter has accomplished to some technology instead of his child and 2. He us suggesting that people without can never achieve the same? Where do you pull this from? That's just way off base.

Meh. Rick was just ranting and has an agenda.

Appears that the scenario was created specifically to allow him a platform from which to rant.:hmm:

Appears that the scenario was created specifically to allow him a platform from which to rant.:hmm:

Yep. There was another thread in which a little girl tears off her hearing aid and runs away screaming after an implant. I wonder if that is a complete lie. :hmm:

Yep. There was another thread in which a little girl tears off her hearing aid and runs away screaming after an implant. I wonder if that is a complete lie. :hmm:

My best guess would be "yes". And there is a 3rd thread that is suspicious, as well.

I would suggest that you not get involved in what is obviously going on here.:cool2: Unless of course, you are already involved...in which case I would suggest that you back away.

Back away? :laugh2: Or what?:cool2:

gosh, let's see -- now all we need is someone whose 2 yo was diagnosed with some hearing loss, and then miraculously regained hearing -- so you could trot out your bizarre theory that sensorineural hearing loss can't be assessed in an infant and that hoh kids who wear hearing aids typically find improvement in their unaided hearing levels, so those who opt for CIs are taking such permanent action on a child who otherwise could hear naturally ANY minute now. Check.

I'm not suggesting you would be so stupid as to do such an unethical thing yourself, creating puppets for your own amusement, little "teaching moments" -- but I sure wouldn't put it past you to take advantage of someone else trying to do you a little favor with these set-ups. You seem to be basking in the chanceto guide so many lost 'hearing parent' lambs who are where you were some 20 odd years ago. daredevel's crying foul changes the game, doesn't it? Hmm, quick, deflect. Cast aspersions.

I was skeptical of a few, but not 100% about it -- that one however was so over the top I just had to shake my head.

gosh, let's see -- now all we need is someone whose 2 yo was diagnosed with some hearing loss, and then miraculously regained hearing -- so you could trot out your bizarre theory that sensorineural hearing loss can't be assessed in an infant and that hoh kids who wear hearing aids typically find improvement in their unaided hearing levels, so those who opt for CIs are taking such permanent action on a child who otherwise could hear naturally ANY minute now. Check.

I'm not suggesting you would be so stupid as to do such an unethical thing yourself, creating puppets for your own amusement, little "teaching moments" -- but I sure wouldn't put it past you to take advantage of someone else trying to do you a little favor with these set-ups. You seem to be basking in the chanceto guide so many lost 'hearing parent' lambs who are where you were some 20 odd years ago. daredevel's crying foul changes the game, doesn't it? Hmm, quick, deflect. Cast aspersions.

You have really gone over the edge. I am beginning to be concerned regarding your stability. Who would have guessed there was a such nastiness hidden inside of you? What is this...the best defense is a good offense? Your reaction is awfully intense. Speaks volumes. You guys just keep implicating yourselves. It's hysterical to watch.

You have really gone over the edge. I am beginning to be concerned regarding your stability. Who would have guessed there was a such nastiness hidden inside of you? What is this...the best defense is a good offense? Your reaction is awfully intense. Speaks volumes. You guys just keep implicating yourselves. It's hysterical to watch.

My intensity? You know, I just thought it was your usual shenanigans at first. But either you are culpable here or awfully angry that one of your minions put you in this position and ended up playing you along with everyone else. Because your immediate reaction to blame those people with whom you have malicious personal enmity, those who are burrs under your saddle, well that's just downright irresponsible and vicious. And you need to stop it. That's what I'm reacting to even more than the stupidity of making up these characters.

The real victims here are any legit newcomers who step into this, because I know i found myself questioning every newcomer's validity today, and I'm sure not going to respond without hesitation to the next person who posts.

Sighhh. There is something called the ring of truth. A few new threads did not have it. Just saying.

Sighhh. There is something called the ring of truth. A few new threads did not have it. Just saying.

They not only did not have the ring of truth, they had red flags and alarm bells. As do a few things that are occurring right now. Looks like we may have a multiple person Byrdie situation.

Anyone who "disagrees" it seems with jillio is "over the edge"? Did I read that right? Welcome GrendelQ. but not sure where the "edge is"?

Implanted A B Harmony activated Aug/07

Anyone who "disagrees" it seems with jillio is "over the edge"? Did I read that right? Welcome GrendelQ. but not sure where the "edge is"?

You are simply ignorant, not over the edge. But you are about to jump into something you have virtually no understanding of. Saw a chance to jump in and bash Jillio, and you don't even know the situation that is occurring right now. Really, don't act like a dog in a pack.

Better for who?

Cochlear implant surgery is still surgery. There is a risk of infection, including meningitis (the meningitis vaccine does NOT prevent all types of meningitis!) as with any surgery, there is the risk of anesthesia death, and really all sorts of complications to be considered.

Is it worth it in this context for the child to hear? Does the family (in this case, the father) value hearing? Do they consider it an acceptable risk that the child may be harmed or (rarely) killed by the surgery? Does the child have a condition that can probably be treated with surgery?

Does the child have any other medical conditions? Certain tests, especially an MRI, may be difficult with a CI and that is a consideration if the child has other medical conditions. It is also important to consider other medical conditions when thinking about how safe the surgery will be for the child.

Can they afford the surgery? Can they afford subsequent speech therapy? Do they understand the risks and benefits of speech therapy, and the long-term commitment required which may interfere with the child's ability to go out and enjoy their childhood?

Do they understand the risks and benefits of a deaf signing classroom versus an oral-only or mixed classroom? do they think they want the child to be mainstreamed? Will a cochlear implant help them accomplish their current educational goals?

Personally, I don't believe it is ever ethical to implant children who are too young to consent. Some people think it is unethical -not- to implant a child, because they place a higher value on hearing than I do.

Either way, a lot of people on this forum will agree, the child should be exposed to sign language if they are not already- asap. Even of the child gets a CI, the benefits of learning sign language and communicating effectively will last forever.
My own CI surgeon refused to operate on me unless I had my diabetes under control to reduce the chance of an infection. BTW, he's also a diabetic too.

Golly, Grendel. I seem to have seriously misjudged you. I had no idea you had so much venom.

Rick responds positively about his daughter's CI experience...

About as positive as a back-handed compliment. My favorite part was where he said that those of us with different experiences and opinions have an "agenda" and should be ignored.

My intensity? You know, I just thought it was your usual shenanigans at first. But either you are culpable here or awfully angry that one of your minions put you in this position and ended up playing you along with everyone else. Because your immediate reaction to blame those people with whom you have malicious personal enmity, those who are burrs under your saddle, well that's just downright irresponsible and vicious. And you need to stop it. That's what I'm reacting to even more than the stupidity of making up these characters.

In the words of the great William Shakespeare, "The lady doth protest too much, methinks."

Last edited:
Just checked the latest DSM 5- no listing yet- for those "over the edge" as determined by jillio.

Just emailed Dr Phil to invite jillio to be on his programme to explore the latest in ground breaking psychological problem-over the edge! He was curious what Prof SKY was investigating on this newest problem which appears to be only in Alldeaf.com.

Further info: Peteski Production Inc/Harpo Productions Inc. Secret Google site: drphil.com.

Off to real work-multitasking DSM 6: computer screen psychoses for the"undeaf".

Note: for the "literal minded" the above in the year 2099!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back