Closed Captioned Glasses and Regal Cinemas

so i got a ticket at my locally mismanaged regalplex. The first pair didn't work. The second pair did not work. And the third pair...you guessed it. A lot of going up and down the escalator from my auditorium to the customer service desk just to end up not watching the movie.

posted from alldeaf.com app for android

lame!!!

Okay. First I got CC glasses and noticed left side's CC was too low and other right side's CC was too high. I tried to adjusted it and right glasses got cracked. Whoa. I don't even dropped or pressed so hard. Manger was dropped her jaw and asked me what's happen?! So I explained to her then she gave me other CC glasses.

My wife and I were not happy with CC glasses due too heavy and hurt your nose after one hour later.

Okay. First I got CC glasses and noticed left side's CC was too low and other right side's CC was too high. I tried to adjusted it and right glasses got cracked. Whoa. I don't even dropped or pressed so hard. Manger was dropped her jaw and asked me what's happen?! So I explained to her then she gave me other CC glasses.

My wife and I were not happy with CC glasses due too heavy and hurt your nose after one hour later.
You are the second ADer complaining about your nose getting hurt from Sony-DV in this thread. It's time for Regal to throw them away. I will try to contact Captionfish regarding the problems with Sony-DV.

Captionfish has nothing to do with these glasses. Complaints should be sent to Sony or Regal headquarters. I'm trying to find the address as I don't like these glasses, either.

Captionfish has nothing to do with these glasses. Complaints should be sent to Sony or Regal headquarters. I'm trying to find the address as I don't like these glasses, either.
I know Captionfish can't do anything about it but since it's the best website for captioned movies, it would be helpful and easier if it has customer reviews to let people (including Regal, Sony, ADA, FCC, etc) know how bad or great the glasses/other devices are. Once Regal sees more negative reviews, hopefully it will switch back to open captioning that ALOT of deaf people prefer. I feel like it takes my rights away. I am sure many people feel the same way.

You could just contact Regal theaters instead
The point is how many people will contact Regal? Maybe very few so it will do nothing, I believe. The guy, Ricky aka Ridor9th in the video talked with the manager who told him that nothing can be done to solve the problem he had.

Edited: Oh, I remember now that Ricky said if any one of you have a complaint, as the manager's suggestion, you fill out a survey card that's available at your local Regal theater that you can pick up on the way out and mail it.

I will check with DeafTechNews.com to see if it has customer reviews about any products designed for deaf people. If not, I will try to make a suggestion to the website owner.

Last edited:
The point is how many people will contact Regal? Maybe very few so it will do nothing, I believe. The guy, Ricky aka Ridor9th in the video talked with the manager who told him that nothing can be done to solve the problem he had.

Edited: Oh, I remember now that Ricky said if any one of you have a complaint, as the manager's suggestion, you fill out a survey card that's available at your local Regal theater that you can pick up on the way out and mail it.

I will check with DeafTechNews.com to see if it has customer reviews about any products designed for deaf people. If not, I will try to make a suggestion to the website owner.

Probably lots really. I have found when people are happy about something they don't give feed back, if they are unhappy about something they will go out of their way to complain. Most people don't go out of the way to say something good.

Probably lots really. I have found when people are happy about something they don't give feed back, if they are unhappy about something they will go out of their way to complain. Most people don't go out of the way to say something good.
In most deaf communities, many people don't care and move on. Do you know that? However, it's possible that NAD will speak out for us like it did to Netflix, hopefully.

Hello everyone my name is Randy Smith and I work with Regal and can answer your questions about the Sony system. As you may know, this is first generation technology and we have discovered a few issues, loose wiring, receiver issues and external Wi Fi bleed affecting reception, as well as the need to provide better information to the guest when they use the device. All of these issues are being addressed and we expect most of the technical issues to be resolved in the very near future. We recently had every system checked across the country and have been addressing all the issues we have discovered. However, if you experience a problem, please report it so that it can be addressed by management.

If you’re curious about whether your local theatre has such access technologies, whether it be Sony glasses or Doremi and USL seat mount devices, simply go to www.Fandango.com , and look at a feature. If the film states that “accessibility devices are available”, then the film is captioned and the theatre has some form of captioning technology available. You can also go to www.captionfish.com to find show times for Regal affiliated theatres.

If you have any questions or concerns you can contact me at Randy.Smith@Regalcinemas.com and I will be happy to assist you in any way possible.

Thanks for that, Randy. I would like to bring up the issue of too few sets of glasses in some of your placements wherein the deaf population is very large. You typically place about 10 glasses per establishment and if you think about it, that is not nearly enough because each place might have 10 cinemas and there's the need for you to recharge these glasses between movies; hence the problem......not counting the ones needing repairs ...........

Holy cow too cool that Regal cinemas actually popped in here! You got to give them an A+ for customer service!

Not really all that cool, Nihilist- Randy is the "human interest" portion of the story, as they keep mentioning his deaf son's involvement in the project. My google-fu shows he is Regal's lawyer king. As the parent of a deaf/HOH son (the kid is described inconsistently across news stories), I might have been impressed if he had already been involved in deaf forums like this one, instead of popping out of nowhere with a canned spiel about "first generation technology".

Regal deploys technology system for blind, deaf » Knoxville News Sentinel

The old news story about the glasses, in my cynical world view, is to counter the backlash from the news story from weeks earlier of top execs (like him!) getting handsome pay raises while 95-99% of employees will see hours cuts as a result of their strategies to avoid costly Obamacare provisions. Evidently, they deserved the raise for finding a way to shrink their employees' paychecks.

After Company Executives Get Massive Bonuses, Regal Theater Chain Cuts Employees' Hours To Avoid Obamacare | ThinkProgress

These glasses have been around for at least 1.5 years (I first used them in early 2012 while on vacation), and just now problems are being found and taken care of? Not a sign of concern for customers at the corporate level.

Regal withdrew the far more awesome, completely comfortable to use Open Captioned systems, and dropped 12 million dollars (according to the Knoxville link above, where Regal is based) on an inferior accommodation. As in, it wasn't worth 12 million to accommodate deaf folk, but worth 12 million so that hearing people wouldn't be inconvenienced by the occasional OC.

Another way I look at it- Regal spent 12 mill to ask deaf folks to choose between Regal and Redbox (and I choose Redbox a thousand times over after my last experience with the Craption Glasses).

Rent Movies Online - DVDs, Blu-Ray™ & Games | Movie Rentals at Redbox

There were several times that I'd show up at an open-captioned show filled with deaf people- notably Avatar and Puss in Boots. Those 5, 10, or even 15 glasses would not have been enough. How are these glasses anything but a step back for a deaf group that wants to go the movies?

If Regal really wanted to accomodate deaf folks, they'd have either rolled out Open Caption to ALL of their sites instead of the Craption Glasses, or at least let the two systems co-exist and overlap. Designated showtimes when a group can be sure to experience captions, and then an improved system of Craption glasses for any other time/theater.

Last edited:
Also, did it occur to any of Regal's top brass that if deaf/HOH folks had wanted CC to watch a movie, we would have stayed at home and turned on the TV/Blu-Ray and felt relief at not wearing those nose pinching glasses?

Posted from Alldeaf.com App for Android

The old news story about the glasses, in my cynical world view, is to counter the backlash from the news story from weeks earlier of top execs (like him!) getting handsome pay raises while 95-99% of employees will see hours cuts as a result of their strategies to avoid costly Obamacare provisions. Evidently, they deserved the raise for finding a way to shrink their employees' paychecks.

After Company Executives Get Massive Bonuses, Regal Theater Chain Cuts Employees' Hours To Avoid Obamacare | ThinkProgress
Unbelievable!

One thing I don't understand is that there are so few OC movies and yet there are plenty of movies available for captions with Sony-DV.

There should be something better than Sony-DV. For example, the link Chevy57 posted, Watch: Two concepts that could revolutionise subtitled cinema! | The Limping Chicken it requires a pair of glasses as well but why not display captions in the black box under the screen whenever there is deaf audience so we don't have to wear glasses? If hearing audience don't like it, they can go to another place where there is no deaf audience. Screw audists including HardOn.

One thing I don't understand is that there are so few OC movies and yet there are plenty of movies available for captions with Sony-DV. .

Actually, outside of indie type fair, and 3D exclusive (or near exclusive) movies (Coraline comes to mind), I think at least 70% of movies, at least at the theatre I went to for OC, eventually had OC showtimes. While it was usually 2/3 showtimes a day in one specific theater, and only for a period of 3-5 days before the next release was rolled out, my fairly erratic schedule didn't present much obstacle in making it to see what I wanted.

Granted, it wasn't the closest theater to me, as I think about 4 venues were closer, but it was worth driving the extra distance to sit down and get EVERYTHING from a movie in the way of dialogue. Those glasses? Those are worth flushing.

Now, if I don't get some broken glasses or a broken transmitter in the theater, I'm lucky if only 15% of dialogue is "omitted" by the glasses.

Actually, outside of indie type fair, and 3D exclusive (or near exclusive) movies (Coraline comes to mind), I think at least 70% of movies, at least at the theatre I went to for OC, eventually had OC showtimes. While it was usually 2/3 showtimes a day in one specific theater, and only for a period of 3-5 days before the next release was rolled out, my fairly erratic schedule didn't present much obstacle in making it to see what I wanted.

Granted, it wasn't the closest theater to me, as I think about 4 venues were closer, but it was worth driving the extra distance to sit down and get EVERYTHING from a movie in the way of dialogue. Those glasses? Those are worth flushing.

Now, if I don't get some broken glasses or a broken transmitter in the theater, I'm lucky if only 15% of dialogue is "omitted" by the glasses.
Lucky? I wouldn't call it lucky, IMO.

Back