Closed Captioned Glasses and Regal Cinemas

That's how I usually feel about it, but it'd be nice to see some movies on the big screen, get the full special effects....and I don't mean 3D! I don't feel like I'm missing out there ;)

Plus it would be nice to go to the movies with my kids :) I think the last movie I saw at the theater was the first Sherlock Holmes, and only because my husband twisted my arm. I understood not one word of that movie. He never understood, and would always get annoyed with me, that I'm being antisocial with my own family.....he just didn't understand how freaking BORING it is to watch a movie...and just watch it, have no idea what people are saying.

I would suffer through it for the kids. The pair I used were thin but it was like looking through plexiglass. The screen was distorted.

Really?? I can't imagine 10 people needing them all at once, what would be the chances of going to the movies when an entire group of HoH/deaf go to the movies? That's not that many of us really. They don't have these theaters by me anyway :( hopefully eventually it will be a standard.

Assuming you're still in Myrtle Beach, it's true there are no Regal/UA/Edwards near you, but the Cinemark listed at Coastal Grand Circle does have some auditoriums listed as having accessibility devices available, which I'm pretty sure will be rear-window captioning, or some variant of it. But bonus- amenities included looped auditoriums, which no Regal near me offers!

Cinemark - Theatre Detail - Cinemark at Myrtle Beach

I would suffer through it for the kids. The pair I used were thin but it was like looking through plexiglass. The screen was distorted.

Well that sucks! I still want to try them though :) My kids are old enough now that I can drop them off at the mall and they can go with their friends, so they're not missing out because of me. When they were younger I used to take them, course I wasn't as deaf then either, but I still would have.

Assuming you're still in Myrtle Beach, it's true there are no Regal/UA/Edwards near you, but the Cinemark listed at Coastal Grand Circle does have some auditoriums listed as having accessibility devices available, which I'm pretty sure will be rear-window captioning, or some variant of it. But bonus- amenities included looped auditoriums, which no Regal near me offers!

Cinemark - Theatre Detail - Cinemark at Myrtle Beach

I'll have to go again, last time I was there and asked they handed me a set of head phones, I don't have auido boos or whatever thy are on my aids so I can't use loops streamers whatever. I had analogs way back, and they had telecoil which was supposed to help with the phone and the theater, I personally couldn't tell a difference, if anything it made it worse.

Ambrosia,

Come up to Western NY, we'll go to Regal Cinema together! :lol: You can bring your kids. We'll test out those glasses and see how they really work for us.

Funny reading your comments about your ex-husband as that's my biggest fear with women.

I have gone to the movies with my daughter and her friends (Wreck it Ralph, Calvin and the chipmunks), but never once was able to enjoy it because of the lack of open captions. I have never gone to a movie theater that actually had open caption. As I just recently learned it can be turned on or off at the movie theaters. Just not in 3D, but like you I could care less about 3D. Give me too much of a headache, personally.

I already deal with not being able to follow conversations with 'so called' friends I have. Funny thing is, I always invited myself to their parties. I haven't seen any of them over a year, and they never once asked if I'd like to join them. Seems I need a new set of friends who wouldn't mind calling me for once and say 'Hey we going out tonight, wanna come?'

So tired of being left out. My mother's biggest fear is I will isolate myself from every single person around me. Seems it's coming true. Nobody ever seems to understand and bitches when I don't 'get with the program'.

:wave: yeah I've gotten a little too comfy behind my computer screen, it seems to be my equalizer, the only time communication is effortless and easy *sigh*

we get the private screening for deaf at Loew's theater in NYC and it's OC (open captioned). I went last week for Hang Over Part 3. we'll have another one in 2 weeks for Superman :D

Really?? I can't imagine 10 people needing them all at once, what would be the chances of going to the movies when an entire group of HoH/deaf go to the movies? That's not that many of us really. They don't have these theaters by me anyway :( hopefully eventually it will be a standard.

I can easily imagine more than ten people needing those glasses in a given cinema where there's a number of theatres. Instead of giving each house ten pairs, they should try to get information about the numbers needed in each community. They are expensive (around 200 dollars) so each house should inform headquarters as to the number needed.

For example, where I am, there's a school for the deaf and going to the movies with staff is a frequent activity. The cinema near the school has about ten theatres and there's never enough of these glasses for not only the students but the general local community of several thousand deaf folks.....

we get the private screening for deaf at loew's theater in nyc and it's oc (open captioned). I went last week for hang over part 3. We'll have another one in 2 weeks for superman :d

lucky for you!!!

I wonder if the darker glasses to see the captions would make the movie itself darker.

I wonder if the darker glasses to see the captions would make the movie itself darker.

The glasses I used were not tinted. However, the captions were kind of a neon color and you need to keep them below the screen or on the dark background to see them well. I didn't notice any adjustment for this, but I didn't look for it.

The glasses aren't tinted and if the movie is in a bright color you do have to look outside of the movie. And this goes without saying if you wear glasses put some contacts on.

New Closed-Captioning Glasses Help Deaf Go Out To The Movies : All Tech Considered : NPR

I have yet to find a theater that offers anything more than a set of headphone for the HoH. I've seen glasses like these mentioned on here before but they don't have them around me. This is good new though!! They're distributing them to 6000 theaters across the country, I'll have to find out if there's a Regal Cinamea by me :)

I never knew it have CC! Our theater just changed name to Regal Cinemas in few months ago. Looks like Regal Cinemas bought it. Thank you for the sharing.

I just checked our theater local and it have CC.

I can easily imagine more than ten people needing those glasses in a given cinema where there's a number of theatres. Instead of giving each house ten pairs, they should try to get information about the numbers needed in each community. They are expensive (around 200 dollars) so each house should inform headquarters as to the number needed.

For example, where I am, there's a school for the deaf and going to the movies with staff is a frequent activity. The cinema near the school has about ten theatres and there's never enough of these glasses for not only the students but the general local community of several thousand deaf folks.....

Actually, it's about $1800/pair. And it may vary from small, slow multiplex to large, busy Megaplex, but my local, smaller Regal doesn't have 10 glasses- they have 10 power sources for use with either glasses or headphones, and 5 each or so of the head phones and glasses. There used to be a Regal near FSDB, and I believe Knoxville, where REG is based out of, is home to TSD.

$1800 a pair? Ouch, I can buy a computer with that money.

I just brought $300 Oakley Sunglasses and I thought that was expensive. hahaha

Well that sucks! I still want to try them though :) My kids are old enough now that I can drop them off at the mall and they can go with their friends, so they're not missing out because of me. When they were younger I used to take them, course I wasn't as deaf then either, but I still would have.

You should give it a try. Perhaps I got a bad pair. Make sure you get there early and that they program the glasses for the correct theater. I missed a good chunk of Lincoln because they screwed up.

Holy cow that much? I'm sorry but I'm having a hard time believing that since pretty much anyone from a 5 year old to a 100 year can use those without signing an insurance form. When I got the glasses I just had to enter my address and name and that was it.

Where did you hear it costs that much? Using that math assuming the movie ticket is 12 bucks it would take 150 movies just to break even assuming all $12 is pure profit. Just doesn't add up to me. :hmm:

Back