Closed Captioned Glasses and Regal Cinemas

Well when you get glasses that don't work AT ALL for Iron Man 3, Star Trek 2, Les Miserables, and a few others I can't remember right now, that's lucky.

Posted from Alldeaf.com App for Android

I am thankful I've never actually had to use the glasses mentioned. I am not at the point (at least most days) where I need captioning. But it makes me wonder what will happen to my movie habits when I do. I know in my home town there were CC movies at least once or twice a week because of the large deaf community there. I live in an area, where I THINK there is a large deaf community. I've met quite a few people, and I actually live in the city where there is a rather large school. There are numerous amount of movie theaters within a 30 minute drive. 20+ probably movie theaters I could go to at any time. But, how do I know if any of them offer captioning? I was googling this earlier but really could not find much about it.

Also, did it occur to any of Regal's top brass that if deaf/HOH folks had wanted CC to watch a movie, we would have stayed at home and turned on the TV/Blu-Ray and felt relief at not wearing those nose pinching glasses?

The sole purpose of the glasses, or any other CC device in a cinema, is to include deaf people in the cinema experience. I think that is a good thing.

I guess I don't see how politics can become the focal point of a discussion about how to improve the glasses. I think it would be a lot easier to have a conversation about improving the glasses than government policy.

Vacation, my problem is that Regal ceased Open Caption showtimes for something that is inferior, more expensive, and would exclude deaf moviegoers that go as a group if the number in the group exceeds the number of craption glasses. I don't know where the implication that I advocate any government action or mandate came from; I'm just kvetching about a MASSIVE downgrade that has progressively killed my desire to see a lot movies I was looking forward to. Nanny-stating every problem or issue is the worst course of action, IMHO. I don't even so much as mention ADA accommodations or the ridiculous lawsuit against Cinemark for not offering captions at their theaters. So what magician's hat did you pull your understanding of my comments from, because you certainly didn't come up with "politics" or "government policy" from anything I typed.

That's why I don't go out to see the movies anymore (due to no OC) so I watch torrented movies with subtitles on my 55" TV at home instead. I like it better because I can pause or rewind it anytime I want to. What's more, it saves me $12 per movie. :lol:

That's why I don't go out to see the movies anymore (due to no OC) so I watch torrented movies with subtitles on my 55" TV at home instead. I like it better because I can pause or rewind it anytime I want to. What's more, it saves me $12 per movie. :lol:

Good luck with NIPRCC.

So what magician's hat did you pull your understanding of my comments from, because you certainly didn't come up with "politics" or "government policy" from anything I typed.

No magic needed. You posted a link about executive pay and Obamacare. If that doesn't bring in politics nothing will. \/\/\/\/

Evidently, they deserved the raise for finding a way to shrink their employees' paychecks.

After Company Executives Get Massive Bonuses, Regal Theater Chain Cuts Employees' Hours To Avoid Obamacare | ThinkProgress

To be fair, you can't provide accessibility without some politics because a company must find a way to make a profit.

I agree with you(and the Regal Guy does too), the glasses need improvement and that is why he posted.

I also agree with your opinion, but it's a lot easier to fix feature than company policy, in my opinion.

I guess I don't see how politics can become the focal point of a discussion about how to improve the glasses. I think it would be a lot easier to have a conversation about improving the glasses than government policy.

That's probably because it wasn't. The only person who considered a brief mention of a political policy relevant to a news story tantamount to "a conversation" was you.

Similarly, mentioning a Trojan Horse on my computers is not a history lesson and Madonna's "Vogue" is not a compendium about the golden age of Hollywood.

My link and brief mention of the Obamacare story was by no means the focus, but an ancillary point.

1. With the breaking of that story, Regal experienced some very negative backlash. The comments sections on those stories are filled with people mentioning their disgust at corporate greed, and refusal to ever set foot inside of a Regal. My goodness, the invective and rage was bountiful.
2. Mere week(s) later, the basic news story (which was first broken about 7 months prior in the first link of my post) was mysteriously everywhere. Even "I f-cking love science" on facebook, which usually focuses on scientific breakthroughs in labs rather than something commercially developed, shared the October story that peculiarly gained legs in May.
3. With either sleight of hand (if you're a bit cynical) or some fortuitous timing (if you're a bit naive), the damaging news story was replaced by the human interest, "Isn't that so wonderful" story in the papers, which likely mitigated whatever attendance loss the company suffered.

At no point do I
-connect any dots between Regal's development of the glasses and Obamacare provisions
-argue the merits/deficiencies of Obamacare
-so much as describe the provisions of Obamacare

I don't know about you, but when I'm having a conversation about a policy, at the very least, I describe the policy. I'm having more of a conversation about the policy now than before, and I STILL haven't done any of those things. Because previously? I was talking about the craption glasses in a post that was largely about craption glasses in a thread that was largely about the craption glasses until someone imagined a political discussion that Never. Took. Place. And would really really really like to get back to the original topic

So in an attempt to return to topic, a germane question with the rambling sort of lead-in that I'm rather prone to ...

I personally am kinda terrified of conjunctivitis AKA pink eye. It was horrible enough as a child, and I can't imagine it's any better as an adult. So have any of you seen what kind of cleaning is done to the glasses when returned or before they're issued? Because shared eyewear=pink eye outbreak waiting to happen.

Last edited:
I also agree with your opinion, but it's a lot easier to fix feature than company policy, in my opinion.
I have some questions for you. If you have experienced the glasses, did you feel comfortable to keep your head still for about 2 hours? Sore neck? If you got a sore neck, how would they improve it? Will they provide neck supports?

I have some questions for you. If you have experienced the glasses, did you feel comfortable to keep your head still for about 2 hours? Sore neck? If you got a sore neck, how would they improve it? Will they provide neck supports?

Saw World War Z with these this week. I wear large prescription glasses, but had no problem. Not heavy. Good to because I could go to the bathroom and not miss much lol

The movie was good so I had no problem with the focus(no sore neck). As I mentioned above, the problem was with the color. OZ was a very green movie and the text was green. If you have text that doesn't clash with the background, you don't have to keep it below the screen.

I'm going to try the, "rear view captioning" to compare with the glasses.

The glasses are not a perfect solution, but they are significant.

SoOverIt said:
Quote:

Originally Posted by CrazyPaul

Saw World War Z with these this week. I wear large prescription glasses, but had no problem. Not heavy. Good to because I could go to the bathroom and not miss much lol

He's right- it's the only selling point to me over OC; so long as the bathroom is reasonably nearby, you'll continue to get some caption. Since it's clear from the device that there are 14 stations, 1-7 of yellow or green, if it's a theatre with 14-30 screens, you may start picking up captions from a theatre with the same station if you stray close enough to it. Haven't had this happen, but then I usually go to a 12.

As for comfort, while the nose piece pinches, the neck isn't an issue since it doesn't require you to sit ramrod stiff.

He's right- it's the only selling point to me over OC; so long as the bathroom is reasonably nearby, you'll continue to get some caption. Since it's clear from the device that there are 14 stations, 1-7 of yellow or green, if it's a theatre with 14-30 screens, you may start picking up captions from a theatre with the same station if you stray close enough to it. Haven't had this happen, but then I usually go to a 12.

As for comfort, while the nose piece pinches, the neck isn't an issue since it doesn't require you to sit ramrod stiff.

Would you be able to know who said this and that while you are in a restroom? Worthless.

How about your head tilted and propped up by the hand like this ?

3ArvPH8.jpg

Wouldn't the captions interfere your view on the screen that way?

Would you be able to know who said this and that while you are in a restroom? Worthless.

How about your head tilted and propped up by the hand like this ?

3ArvPH8.jpg

Wouldn't the captions interfere your view on the screen that way?

I had a kind hard time to read when my head propped up by the my hand. That's kind sucks.

You got that right! I hate feedback.

That's why I got boots that connect directly to my hearing aids. Absolutely no feedback what so ever and much better for me.

Took me 2 years of researching to find them. Only I had to buy them from a company in England, because the American Company wanted to sell the 3 piece for $250!! (the wire and 2 boots) Greedy buggers.

I ended up paying $80 for the wire and the 2 boots. I had a hearing friend who lives in England who came overseas to order them for me. They work great. Plus I had the choice of open mic, or close mic. I choose the close mic. I can actually use them while cutting the grass and it blocks the lawnmower's noise, since my hearing aids acts as hear plugs. haha

Picture of my Ipod Nano with the Wire/boots connected to my left hearing aid.

bNDtWp7.jpg

The company I brought them from was Connevans Limited. They were very helpful on getting me the correct Boots I needed, since there were 3 different types.

If ya very deaf, you'll highly likely find the leads with the blue plug, very quiet even at max volume. This is because the leads are attenuatednand and only allow a certain amount of volume though the lead, I find the blue plug leads, too quiet.

If you get the leads that are unattenuated, they will be louder and better for people who are very deaf.

1metre fmGenie binaural V lead - Connevans

The unattenuated leads work a lot better for me and a few of my friends who are all profoundly deaf.

Back