CI's in Children

CIs on kids

I agree with some of yalll not need put cis on babies .. i am deaf and have 2 deaf sons that are 5 and 4 we enrolled them at Louisville, Ky Deaf Oral school in past and they tried to force my baby son have cis we stood up and say NO NO and later found out that school get percentages of monies from buisness when they get kids on cis that is a dirty buisness!

I think it's time to let go of this. Children are getting CIs and it's really not the end of the world. Kendall Elementary School has a bilingual program which targets deaf children who have CIs or who get good benefit from hearing aids. They have a Deaf teacher, Hearing teacher, and Speech Therapist all working together. Times have changed, and it brings it's own challenges, but it also brings a lot of opportunities. It really bothers me as well that the oralists use fear tactics to scare parents from using ASL, but doesn't the Deaf Community do the same thing when they say parents are committing genocide and some of the other things that they say that are not at all reality based and are really used to promote fear?

Kendall Elementary School has a bilingual program which targets deaf children who have CIs or who get good benefit from hearing aids. They have a Deaf teacher, Hearing teacher, and Speech Therapist all working together.
True, and I mean most schools for the Deaf now have programs for CI kids....Even on the CI site they say that their users are evenly divided between oralists and TCers.
Times have changed, and it brings it's own challenges, but it also brings a lot of opportunities.
Agreed....I mean I see a lot more parents take an "oral first" perspective rather then the oral only....still some parents are EXTREMELY...and I mean EXTREMELY xenophobic to learning ASL!

oralist

My other good point is that parents or grandparents dont want to learn signs and force the kids learn speech.. what if the kid not good on that subject or why cant the parents WILLING learn ASL or something like that than force the kids learn oralist method... what if it didnot work... i know most hearing parents desprate that their kid cant hear or talk etc COME ON get real!!! cant expect them to be PERFECT like ya expected.... also parents putting cis in kids and expecting them to can hear sometimes it dont work sometimes it works THE PARENTS cant expect everything i know a case where parents have 2 deaf kids and they put cis in the kids when they was like 2 etc but later on the kids rebellious against the parents bec they dont like oral method and get angry with the parents bec they wanna the kids be PERFECT.... so the parents better think TWICE before doing it

we enrolled them at Louisville, Ky Deaf Oral school in past and they tried to force my baby son have cis we stood up and say NO NO and later found out that school get percentages of monies from buisness when they get kids on cis that is a dirty buisness!
You did?!?!?! HOLY SHIT that isn't good!!! No wonder CIs are pushed....damn...my inner muckracker alarm is on high red alert right now!

One of my friend Marie, she is deaf and grandma to a granddaughter who is deaf, but her daughter is hearing.

Marie's daughter wanted her child to have CI, but grandma Marie was against it. She told her that the child will be fine without CI. Bad news had happen. Marie's granddaughter died after she recieved her CI and she was only 3 years old at that time ( I think). Very sad!

Grandma is still hurting after few years because she had a deaf granddaughter. She still talks about her granddaughter.

I hope people out there would stop and think if it really worth it or not. Doctors, CI supporters, and others will only tell the positive news, but not the negative news because they WANT money. Simple answer!

deafdyke said:
You did?!?!?! HOLY SHIT that isn't good!!! No wonder CIs are pushed....damn...my inner muckracker alarm is on high red alert right now!

Query the original source. My advice. :D

On the other hand Endy.....we do live in a capitalist society, where big business is rather heated in its desire to get money......haven't you read any Michal Moore lately?

On sources and the valuation thereof

LOL. Hold on a sec. I'm not disagreeing. I'm on your side. ;)

It's important that we had this possible situation brought to our attention, I'm glad Casperman brought this to our attention. If schools are receiving money for CI referrals, this is an activity that should be stopped immediately.

What Casperman has done is he has acted as a secondary source of information. In academia and in real life, secondary sources are very important; they keep us aware of things and provide insight into situations that primary sources might not cue us into initially.

However, secondary sources are not as concrete as primary sources. If we rely on secondary sources, we are more likely to have erroneous or flawed information. After all, when antagonized conservatives say Michael Moore is an "evil robot from Mars bent on world domination" you're hearing it from a secondary source. Michael Moore may or may not indeed be an "evil robot from Mars" but the secondary source is not as valid as actually getting legal proof or as getting photographs of Michael Moore in his robot state. Because Bob Joe cannot get information from primary sources verifying Michael Moore as a robot, Bob Joe sounds like a loony when he makes claims about Michael Moore.

Casperman gave us important information. He has given us a possible lead to a problem with schools being reimbursed for CI referrals. (That is something that would outrage me greatly!) Now the next step is to find a primary source for this. Otherwise we'll be like the people who say Michael Moore is a robot. You see what I'm saying? :)

Once you have solid primary sources, you can wage a much more effective campaign.

quiet gal said:
One of my friend Marie, she is deaf and grandma to a granddaughter who is deaf, but her daughter is hearing.

Marie's daughter wanted her child to have CI, but grandma Marie was against it. She told her that the child will be fine without CI. Bad news had happen. Marie's granddaughter died after she recieved her CI and she was only 3 years old at that time ( I think). Very sad!

Grandma is still hurting after few years because she had a deaf granddaughter. She still talks about her granddaughter.

I hope people out there would stop and think if it really worth it or not. Doctors, CI supporters, and others will only tell the positive news, but not the negative news because they WANT money. Simple answer!

I'm very sorry to hear such sad news.
I have a daughter who was born deaf. We decided to have the operation for CI. In fact, we were offered to have bi-lateral in 1 operation and thankfully took that offer.
Reading your story.... and looking at my child who after 1 year starts talking, singing, even whispering, ...... I would do it again, and again.

If you are against CI, fine, but don't use arguments like "they just want money" because it sound's like Sweetmind on DeafNotes.

By the way, the child died after she was implanted... but you never mentionned of what? I assume it's because of the operation since that's the underlying message you bring, but is this the case?

deafdyke said:

That's quite the serious accusation!

Remember the Newborn Infant Hearing Screening and Intervention Act of 1999? Methinks it has a lot to do with young children being implanted today, not schools pushing the CI regimen onto parents.

I'm a little late here, and I know I'm bringing up an old thread, so forgive me.

I don't know that schools are necessarily being given money for CI referrals, however I have seen schools/teachers really pushing CIs. At my previous job, almost all the kids were hoh, with the exception of one, and the teachers hounded that kids mom to get him an implant. Mom was pretty clueless, and didn't have money, so the school went ahead and set up an appointment for him and arranged for a school official to take him there (I wonder what ever happened to that kid). Now, I doubt that the school was actually getting money to refer him, though it's an interesting theory. I personally think the teachers were doing it more because it would make their lives easier (they only signed for him, since none of the other kids could really sign).

Anyway, I'm done. :)

If only time was spend on looking at deaf children with CI instead of coughing up either untrue stories or some bad examples.

My daughter is doing great with her CI. I have never had a moment of regret that we decided to have her being operated on.

I invite everyone with any hesitation regarding CI for toddlers, to have a look at a child that has CI before age 4, not living in a deaf environment, and see for yourself how the child is doing.

But don't get examples of children that decided for themself to get CI and thought that they would be able to talk without any effort. Nor children with CI that are forced to stay in a deaf environment, where speech is not promoted.... of course it will not work

Children with CI excell when they are growing up in a hearing / speaking environment. And I have the proof sitting next to me, chatting away like there's no tomorrow

If only time was spend on looking at deaf children with CI instead of coughing up either untrue stories or some bad examples.

My daughter is doing great with her CI. I have never had a moment of regret that we decided to have her being operated on.

I invite everyone with any hesitation regarding CI for toddlers, to have a look at a child that has CI before age 4, not living in a deaf environment, and see for yourself how the child is doing.

But don't get examples of children that decided for themself to get CI and thought that they would be able to talk without any effort. Nor children with CI that are forced to stay in a deaf environment, where speech is not promoted.... of course it will not work

Children with CI excell when they are growing up in a hearing / speaking environment. And I have the proof sitting next to me, chatting away like there's no tomorrow
Cloggy, Sorry but you cannot and should not generalize about CI performance for kids. There are SOME kids who have done OK with CI.....but most orally educated kids still have SIGNIFICENT issues with speech and spoken language. (they have 40% - 60% of the spoken language/ speech abilty that hearing kids do!) Yes, there are superstars with CI who have little to no spoken language issues.....but so what? There've always been superstars....even back when hearing aids were the only option available! Yes, your child is doing well.....but is she doing well even comapred to a hearing kid? Do the majority of implanted kids do well even compared to hearing kids? Are their verbal IQs on par with hearing kids?

deafdyke said:
Cloggy, Sorry but you cannot and should not generalize about CI performance for kids. There are SOME kids who have done OK with CI.....but most orally educated kids still have SIGNIFICENT issues with speech and spoken language. (they have 40% - 60% of the spoken language/ speech abilty that hearing kids do!) Yes, there are superstars with CI who have little to no spoken language issues.....but so what? There've always been superstars....even back when hearing aids were the only option available! Yes, your child is doing well.....but is she doing well even comapred to a hearing kid? Do the majority of implanted kids do well even compared to hearing kids? Are their verbal IQs on par with hearing kids?

That's why I mentioned pre-lingual children like my daughter. I know that every case is different and I wanted to emphisize this in my post.

Let's put it this way..... what's wrong with some focus on children that do well?

Let's put it this way..... what's wrong with some focus on children that do well?
B/c it makes it sound like ALL kids do well with CI.....whereas most implanted kids have a HUGE range of hearing levels.

deafdyke said:
B/c it makes it sound like ALL kids do well with CI.....whereas most implanted kids have a HUGE range of hearing levels.

Most?

Doesn't that depend on WHEN the implant was done.
Because for pre-lingual children is is not MOST, it's SOME! That's why we decided to have our daughter implanted early, so she would be able to get maximum use out of it, and not struggle with it at later age.

So, she's doing so well NOT because she's the exception, but because she was very young when she got it.
That's how a parent takes reponsibility. To decide to let the child make the decision is putting the responsibility with the child, and that's not what parents are for.

But if (Deaf) people are insisting that children are implanted at later age, it will stay "MOST" for this group of children.

Doesn't that depend on WHEN the implant was done.
Because for pre-lingual children is is not MOST, it's SOME! That's why we decided to have our daughter implanted early, so she would be able to get maximum use out of it, and not struggle with it at later age.

So, she's doing so well NOT because she's the exception, but because she was very young when she got it.
Well, from what I've read there are tons of variables as to why one kid does well, while anther kid doesn't do really well. I know I read somewhere that about 15% of implanted kids are "superstars"......even today there are significent numbers of kids who still need things like Cued Speech or Sign....I know that for example that another very significent variable, is whether or not a kid once heard normally.....only about 10% of dhh kids were born that way......and I mean it's just so complicated. There are kids who have profound losses, who weren't dx until they were two or three.....they then got an aid or a CI, and caught up wicked fast....and there've always been kids like that. I'm not saying that your daughter is the exceptial superstar.....I'm just saying that NOT ALL prelingally deaf kids who are implanted, get hoh hearing levels.

Back