CI's in Children

Cheri said:
What do you call it then when someone says this: " I got sick of hearing them use the wrong terminolog" Well, excuse us, if we use the wrong terminology. Not everyone knows the name of each tool for gawd sake, have some patience with people, including me, that doesn't mean I'm spreading false information, I didn't know the word "spool" was what it called on the outside. Again, I think I am better off getting out of this thread because when I read your posts and some other CI'ers posts I get the sense of being offensive by my respond, So I'll just shut up then.

(Peace out!)
No-one is offended, don't try to make it into something it is not.
I appreciate your input. The explanation you gave in your post should have been to "Lillys dad", that would have been the way to communicate.

I appreciate talking to you, so leaving the thread would be a real pitty.

Cloggy said:
No-one is offended, don't try to make it into something it is not.
I appreciate your input. The explanation you gave in your post should have been to "Lillys dad", that would have been the way to communicate.

I appreciate talking to you, so leaving the thread would be a real pitty.

and I appreciate reading Cloggy's posts :)
Go ahead buddy :hug:
In my opinion, CIs are not enemies of deaf world but their supporters .

neecy said:
I'm hearing when I WEAR the CI. Its an apparatus that allows me to hear. I take it off and I'm deaf. Every person who has one (or parent of a child who has one) realizes this. This is just splitting hairs, in my opinion. BIOLOGICALLY we're deaf. TECHNOLOGICALLY ASSISTED, we can hear. I hear better than my Mom in some situations and she's hearing!!!

:) LOL neecy, sometimes I too have the same experience of hearing "better" than hearing people. For example once I went to the Olive Garden restaurant with my dad, who is hearing. It was so noisy due to chatter and background music that my dad could not understand the waitress. I ended up "interpreting" for my dad since my CI allowed me to block out the background noise and hear what the waitress was saying. :)

Superfroggy said:
:) LOL neecy, sometimes I too have the same experience of hearing "better" than hearing people. For example once I went to the Olive Garden restaurant with my dad, who is hearing. It was so noisy due to chatter and background music that my dad could not understand the waitress. I ended up "interpreting" for my dad since my CI allowed me to block out the background noise and hear what the waitress was saying. :)

I'm curious to know how you can block out the background noise in order to hear the waitress?...

^Angel^ said:
I'm curious to know how you can block out the background noise in order to hear the waitress?...

One of the programs my CI is equipped with is "autosensitivity." The computer in the upper portion of the BTE takes all sounds coming through the microphones and analyzes it, and then "cancels out" any continuous background noise. It really rocks! I can turn my vacuum on to clean the house, switch my CI to autosensitivity (just a single click of the button on the back of my CI - I don't even have to take it off - I get two beeps to tell me its on the right program) and wait 10 seconds and the roar of the vacuum is reduced to a soft whisper. Its a fantastic advantage in loud places like a busy/noisy restaurant, a mall, in the car, etc. It allows speech from in front of you to come through clearly because speech itself isn't "continuous", and the noise from behind is eliminated. In noisy situations - people who have a CI with autosensitivity hear BETTER than hearing people who can't just ignore the background noise!

Wow that's interesting, I wish hearing aids were like that....

^Angel^ said:
Wow that's interesting, I wish hearing aids were like that....
Digital hearing aids with directional microphones do smilar work :)

but super power hearing aids don't have that luxury :( (I'll be wearing a super power digital hearing aid soon :) )

Back