CI's in Children

CoolieFroggie said:
you don't get what i mean..

The newer one could work for me...

My older version isn't working anymore for me. My verison is channel 1.

The newer is channel 25 I believe it's MUCH MUCH better what i had.

To answer oceanbreeze's answer and you too..

I would consider NOT implant the newer Ci cuz i had sereval headaches.. Being deaf being nature and i would rather to leave it alone..

Which is what I'd thought you'd say! Thanks, Froggie! :thumb:

Audiofuzzy said:
>>>cuz i had sereval headaches<<<

now this is off topic but I wondered if you know what are these headaches?
do you suffer from migraine?

and

>>> you don't get what i mean.. <<<

no I am sorry I don't think I do.. care to explain :) ?

Fuzzy

i was trying to explain that my version that i was implanted with is the very first CI implant (using channel 1) and today's CI's that are used are not compatiable with the implant i have currently and do not use either -- if i wanted to upgrade my CI i would have to go thru another round of surgery to get "upgraded" -- as for the headaches, i do believe the implant has caused part of my problems with headaches, yes i have had migranes and other lesser headaches that are not of migrane size -- hope this helps clear it up for u Fuzzy

Got it!
about your migraines- are u under care for it? I am migraneur myself. real bad migraine.

Fuzzy

My son is deaf and my husband and I are both hearing. We choose to get a CI for my son b/c we know that is what is best for him. The earlier the implant is put in, the better. After the age of 4, the brain (as a whole) starts to take over the "useless" part that functions for hearing. So, we decided it would be best for him. If we waited until he was old enough, his ability to learn to talk and hear would be greatly diminished. He is already doing remarkably well with it. He was implanted this April, turned on in May (he's 16 1/2 mos old). He is already mimicking the length of words. His teacher at his oral school said that he is incredibly smart and had the best first "hearing" day she's seen in a very long time!

Stephanie, I think there are obvious right off the bat cases for CI....nothing wrong with implanting those cases. I also think that some parents are jumping in a little too soon, and not really opting for other alternatives such as body worn aids (which can be more powerful then BTEs) or high frequncy transponders....and I also think that it's very difficult to figure out exactly how well a baby hears!

I wouldnt't If I had deaf kids.

I never had kids, but If I did have deaf kids, I would never get in a CI.
Let them be deaf.
They can work to suppport themselfs, and their family, and they can feel really about it.
Margie

Yeah, everyone have their own decision what they want the best for themselves. Everyone have difference choices.

Ooccchh Sorry, I didn't see this thread here until today... :eek2:

Audiofuzzy said:
to not compare CI issue with children education

I do not compare CI to education

Oh no no ,Liebling, I've listened.
I think you don't understand my point.

You tend to mix two separate issues

Yes, I understand your point. I only say to not compare CI issue with children education, period.

Change children's body has nothing do with children upbringing/edcuation. You can't mix surgery with children upbringing limit.

I agree on this one, but this is NOT what I am talking about.etc because they want to change to improve their body.

The key word is FUNCTION, not change, or body.

Ok.

My son and I talked long together until he convinced why we want him have head surgery to prevent paralysis within 1 to 2 years later.

An if he has said NO??
see, it's not him who decided - you decided, then convinced him to agree. He is too young to understand the stake.

Well, I have no problem with my son for say YES because he knew it will be risk if he said NO. That's why he can't say NO. All what doctors and we do is tried to take his scary away first thru talk/explain.

I accept my 2nd son for say NO to correct his floppy ears because I know he will change his mind one day when he grow bigger. I know it's not necassary to operate to correct his floppy ears.

It's different story if there're an emergencies. All what we do is take our children's fear way and give them positive why we are for surgery. We do is win their trust thru plenty of patience.

Your post sound that you are not happy with your deafness or what?

Im not sure I understand, but if you didn't understand me either "kudos" mean thumbs up.
Occchhhh Sorry... :thumb: I thought you mean in different way... Sorry...

wow, you call the children as immature instead of consider the children's feeling.

Children ARE immature, that does not mean you don't ask them about their feelings.

But you can't always let the children decide.
Sorry, I'm disagree to this but I has to respect your choice. I don't beleive to force my children do something when they don't want. All what I beleive is communicate key with them and win their trust instead of pull them something what they don't want or pull them to surgery without talk them which it's fear for the children.
I support my children's choice only if I'm agree to this. If not, then I will explain them to wait until they are 18 years old.
Yes, the children have the feeling.

"It's hard for me to explain you why because you are too young to understand"

but that's true, try to explain to the 6 y old. how did the TV picture get there :)

you can only explain so much..

Good sparring, Liebling!

Fuzzy

Yes, you can in different way only if you has a good patience.

Example: My children asked me how to make the baby. I gave them honest answer is: Your mommy and daddy love each other and make a baby together instead of say to them: You will understand when you are grow.

>>>I support my children's choice only if I'm agree to this<<<

there you go, Liebling.... so it's YOU who decide, not children :)

Fuzzy

I dont like it personally, for my kids. But if a parent chooses to get it for thier child, more power to them. I always hope, in the back of my mind, that they take up sign language just in case...

katt.

Audiofuzzy said:
>>>I support my children's choice only if I'm agree to this<<<

there you go, Liebling.... so it's YOU who decide, not children :)

Fuzzy

Communication Key is important to discuss with children why I'm not agree to this.

I don't beleive to make the children do what I want but show them why I'm for it.

I give my children the limit, not change their body. IMO.

I saw a 5 old boy with a CI in both ears in Wal Mart today with his grandpa. The grandpa signed car and pointed but thats all I saw them sign.

Katt, I did read that the CI users are evenly divided between oral and TC....but yeah, I do find it sad when hearing parents decide not to sign...arughhhh!!!!!1

deafdyke said:
Katt, I did read that the CI users are evenly divided between oral and TC....but yeah, I do find it sad when hearing parents decide not to sign...arughhhh!!!!!1

Yes, I´m agree sadly. :(
I notice some of hearing parents pulled their deaf children to hearing world because they are hearing. I think it would be nicer for hearing parents to learn deaf culture for their children´s sake, no matter either the children are CI users or not.
I remember when I watch video about a little girl who are CI user and didn´t know what deaf is because her parents want her to join hearing world. I find it sad.

Oh yes, I was like :wtf: when I read a hearing member´s post from other forum that they want their child to consider hearing culture, not deaf. I say nothing :(

Tell me about it! There's nothing wrong with a dhh kid who of their own accord, choses to speak, but too often the oral choice, is b/c the parents buy into the shit, that there's nothing of value in ASL or the deaf world. Many of our parents bought into that shit too....it's been going on and on for years now. I doubt that there are ANY dhh kids raised oral only and hearing world only who feel 100% comfortable in the hearing world.

As the parent of a 17 mo old with an implant, it's a personal decision. You can't let anyone tell you what to do. Whether to get one or not. It's something that you (and you s/o, if it applies) must decide on. For my husband and I, we decided that a CI is best for our son. So, we went ahead with it. He is currently in an Oral school and his teacher (after only 3 "hearing" classes) said that he is one of her best students. He is adapting very well and is very smart. She said, after his very first hearing class, that he had one of the best "first days" ever! But, it's a personal decision.

A word of unsolicited advice, Miraclemama... :)

yes you are right it is but a personal decision, and I agree no one should tell you what to do.

But as a HOH raised in totally hearing enviroment, let me tell you this.
CI or not, your son is profoundly deaf.
he might be the smartest in his class and all, as I was once, but it's a struggle for him. It always will be.

As long as he is young, healthy and energetic he won't let his hearing loss interefere with what he wants to achieve. He will push negative thoughts aside and plow ahead.
But trust me all this comes with a price, he will always have a moment when he will feel like he does not belong neither to deaf or hearing world. Moments when he will feel insecure and worried....
A moment may come when he will be tired from constant struggle, as I am now.. he may be old by then but tired all the same..
He may wonder one day, as I am now, whether or not he wouldn't be better off as "deaf" - totally "deaf".

Please don't deprive him from also the deaf world.
Allow to teach him sign language and let him get to know both worlds - hearing and deaf.

Let him have options to choose later in life.

What you may not realise, it's YOU who need all the assurance in the world that your son's deafness does not make him any less a human being than an "able" child.
It's pretty common I would say for hearing parents to need to be assured that a deaf child is not any less intelligent and creative than a hearing one..
I know it from autopsy..

Fuzzy, hearing impaired from 100% hearing world

Thanks Audiofuzzy! That's something very important to realize......that oralizing your son will not give him 100% access to the hearing world. It will give him SOME access, but not unlimited access. I do know that the total immersian philosophy is based on the assumption that hoh (hard of hearing) kids have more in common with hearing people then with Deaf people, so it's better to try to see if they can assimulate into the mainstream. That is based on the assumption that special needs methods and tools are a "crutch".....but the thing is under that philosophy a dhh kid who can only pronounce a handful of words clearly is "higher functioning" then a kid who doesn't have too much oral skills but who can Sign at a Harvard level.
Give your son ALL the tools possible. I mean a lot of oral deaf and hoh folks say that they don't feel like they fit into the hearing world 100%. They are glad that they grew up with the tools, but wish that they'd been given all those tools early on. There's another advantage to going with two languages too.....usually there's not really all that many accomondations for hoh people out there. SHHHers and AG Bellers are always complaining that they don't have audio/ AL/oral interpreter accomondations available while Deaf folks always get Sign interpreters!

I've read all the posts thus far, and I think it's the parent's choice, pure and simple.

Some of you argue that it's a child's choice. That's the most asinine argument I've ever heard. Since when is an 18 month old child capable of making any decision, let alone a decision like that?

They're not even cognizant at 18 mos.

They can't even control their bowels, for cryin' out loud.

Private Parts, I think you're unaware that according to Auditory-Verbal Inc 95% of all deaf kids have some hearing that can be amplified by hearing aids, enough so they can learn to "hear" and talk. Those stats are NOT recent...they are from the mid '70's (before I was born!) I think that in cases where hearing aids don't really help, then the parent has a right to choose implantation....however in cases where hearing aids work well, then I think that the parents need to wait til the child is a little older to make the decision.....it is rather hard to accurantly tell how well a child hears....ABRs can make mistakes. I know of kids who were IDd as deaf via ABR and then on more tradtional audiotremy it indicated a more mild loss.

Back