CI's in Children

Cheri,

Can you provide an example of a post where Butterflygirl is being told to get an implant?

I hope you don't mean me because I really don't think anybody should force CI on anyone. Me the least of all.

I only want to disscus pro and cons in hypothetical situations, seeying how some arguments against CI are , IMO, weak.
I have no problem with someone NOT wanting CI because of scuba diving, I can understand if another person would give up the same FOR CI,
but if someone says "I am happy deaf" I simply wonder why can't one go on being happy as deaf with CI???

Fuzzy

R2D2 said:
Just wanted to let you know that those of us who choose to have a CI are still deaf.
Yes you are right that they are still deaf but sadly there are some people who doesn't thinlk so. I had a friend who had a CI implanted telling people that she is hearing and she even told me not to tell anyone that she is deaf. I was like WTF? One day we went out shopping and this sales lady came up to us asking if she could help, my friend said something to her but the sales lady couldn't undersand what she was saying. I mentioned to the sales lady that we were deaf and know what my friend said to me? She got mad at me for telling the sales lady that she was deaf. GEEZ! It is really sad to see some CI people like her throwing away their deaf friends and the deaf world. These people need to accept the fact that they are deaf even with a CI.

To answer R2D2 and Audiofuzzy's questions, I know I do not want to have a CI at all and I know I will not change my mind later on to get one. I do not even wear hearing aids at all. Why? Simply because I do not like wearing hearing aids.

I know both of you mean well but I don't like it when people tell me and encorage me to get a CI. Why can't they accept it that I do not want one? I respect people who have a CI or would like to have one and people should respect me for not wanting one.

Peace out :)

LisaMarie said:
Finally... THANK YOU for not being so nasty toward me. i appericate your input. NOW i understand why! :)

You are welcome and if you really are interested in the details of my decision, visit this thread http://www.alldeaf.com/showthread.php?t=26859

Read my second post in that thread and you will understand what drove my decision. It seems that the CI vs. no CI debate will live on forever. There are times where we just need to agree to disagree and move on. I don't think that constant debate on a subject, where there will never be a concensus is benificial.

Cheri, I find your comment about C.Iers curious. You say they/we pressure people into getting a C.I.
But yet the pressure from the Anti C.I. crowd is sooo much better? When I get told I am cruel for getting my daughter implanted? When I get told every mean nasty thing someone can say because I did what I thought was right for my daughter?
There is a deaf dad that I know who has a deaf child. The mom is also deaf. Dad has custody of the child. Mom wasn't the most involved parent. When the dad decided to get his child implanted, the mom essentially disowned her own son because he hada a C.I.. She moved away from here and has not visited or called HER OWN CHILD! Now that is cruel.

Lillys dad said:
Cheri, I find your comment about C.Iers curious. You say they/we pressure people into getting a C.I.
But yet the pressure from the Anti C.I. crowd is sooo much better? When I get told I am cruel for getting my daughter implanted? When I get told every mean nasty thing someone can say because I did what I thought was right for my daughter?
There is a deaf dad that I know who has a deaf child. The mom is also deaf. Dad has custody of the child. Mom wasn't the most involved parent. When the dad decided to get his child implanted, the mom essentially disowned her own son because he hada a C.I.. She moved away from here and has not visited or called HER OWN CHILD! Now that is cruel.

I am not an Anti-CI, I am only speaking of implanted on children when they have no say in that matter. I just feel that most hearing parents would prefer to go ahead with decisions wishing the child to be "normal." It's not the same as CIer pushing and encorage someone to get a CI compares to children who already had their implanted. Just because some of us don't agree that doesn't make us Anti-CI. I only care about the children their voices to be heard, their say because it's their life not the parents and It's not life-threatening situation.

I understand how you feel about the mother disowned her own son, My mother did the same thing with me when she first discovered that I was deaf and yes it does hurt as hell too. :(

Cheri said:
I am not an Anti-CI, I am only speaking of implanted on children when they have no say in that matter. I just feel that most hearing parents would prefer to go ahead with decisions wishing the child to be "normal." It's not the same as CIer pushing and encorage someone to get a CI compares to children who already had their implanted. Just because some of us don't agree that doesn't make us Anti-CI. I only care about the children their voices to be heard, their say because it's their life not the parents and It's not life-threatening situation.

I understand how you feel about the mother disowned her own son, My mother did the same thing with me when she first discovered that I was deaf and yes it does hurt as hell too. :(
Yeah exactly. that is what we are trying to say. We dont reject CI people just because of that. we just want to express our feeling releated to children's rights. as i have see some parents disagree because of their strong feeling expressing. i can understand that now since one person is kind enough to explain me without all harsh words flying at me! :) i just cant stand the idea of babies or toddlers going under major surgery so they could hear. Again, that is just my opinion. No hard feeling!

cher, im so sorry to hear about your mom rejected you. i hope she will realize how she have missed out on a great daugther like you! :)

LisaMarie said:
cher, im so sorry to hear about your mom rejected you. i hope she will realize how she have missed out on a great daugther like you! :)

Never gotta happened, I waited 35 years for her to come around, never did. But, thanks for caring, I got my dad and my step-mother. ;)

Cheri said:
Never gotta happened, I waited 35 years for her to come around, never did. But, thanks for caring, I got my dad and my step-mother. ;)
wow that is FAR cruel! im telling you. But at least you got your dad and step- mom who cares a lot for you. :)

Okay lets put it this way..

A child is born with no arms or no legs.. But there is technology available that will give that child an opportunity to function in today's environment so the child can function with everyone else. Now this would be something I definitely if opportunity exist to enhance a child's life I'd do it - but what is being said we shoudl accept every child the way they were born. Yes, we should accept them for what they are - but if there is proven technology there that can help the child or person, what is wrong with that. I do agree it is a personal choice. But CI's can be reversed. And as for deaf people trying to act hearing if they have the CI - my personal opinion is WRONG. Because no matter what they are still deaf. Despite the fact that I can do more things now than I have in the past still doesn't make me hearing and I will NEVER be HEARING - btu yes I can FUNCTION alot better than I have in the past. So, basically speaking - people are going to continue to take advantage of technology. I bumped into a deaf family (I think they are 3rd or 4th generation) the father AND daughter both got the CI. I fell out of my chair so hard it was unbelievable. But CI's in some terms honestly is starting to become slightly accepted. There will always be the radicals who may disagree - I have crossed quite a bit and out of maybe 150 deaf people I have crossed only ONE made a bad remark about it. (this are people I personally know) and it is probably because I didnt forget who I was and didn't change who I was. And amazingly alot of them asked questions about it. But one way or another - when we bash each other like this - you know who suffers? The CI child - teh deaf community at times would shun away those who have CI and don't sign. instead of Shunning away they should embrace them and show them what the culture is really all about. For those who are hard of hearing, they are stuck in 2 different worlds - one hearing one deaf with no real acceptance. Both worlds need to work TOGETHER. Opinions are good! This is what makes life and the world much more interesting hearing different perspectives. But the point being - there is NO RIGHT or WRONG way with whatever path we choose in life or what paths we choose for our children - there are no guarantees - we love our children to death and we'd do anything for them whether we feel or think it is right or wrong.
:whistle: :)

LisaMarie said:
i just cant stand the idea of babies or toddlers going under major surgery so they could hear.

Cochlear implantation is most definitely not major surgery. Trust me - I've read the literature, and I've had various (non-cochlear) surgeries ranging from relatively insignificant to extremely major and life-saving. Cochlear implantation is nothing to sneeze at, sure - but it is *not* major surgery.

Cheri said:

I'm really sorry to read that :ugh:
remmy that we're here for you :grouphug:

DefLord said:
Okay lets put it this way..

A child is born with no arms or no legs.. But there is technology available that will give that child an opportunity to function in today's environment so the child can function with everyone else. Now this would be something I definitely if opportunity exist to enhance a child's life I'd do it - but what is being said we shoudl accept every child the way they were born. Yes, we should accept them for what they are - but if there is proven technology there that can help the child or person, what is wrong with that. I do agree it is a personal choice. But CI's can be reversed. And as for deaf people trying to act hearing if they have the CI - my personal opinion is WRONG. Because no matter what they are still deaf. Despite the fact that I can do more things now than I have in the past still doesn't make me hearing and I will NEVER be HEARING - btu yes I can FUNCTION alot better than I have in the past. So, basically speaking - people are going to continue to take advantage of technology. I bumped into a deaf family (I think they are 3rd or 4th generation) the father AND daughter both got the CI. I fell out of my chair so hard it was unbelievable. But CI's in some terms honestly is starting to become slightly accepted. There will always be the radicals who may disagree - I have crossed quite a bit and out of maybe 150 deaf people I have crossed only ONE made a bad remark about it. (this are people I personally know) and it is probably because I didnt forget who I was and didn't change who I was. And amazingly alot of them asked questions about it. But one way or another - when we bash each other like this - you know who suffers? The CI child - teh deaf community at times would shun away those who have CI and don't sign. instead of Shunning away they should embrace them and show them what the culture is really all about. For those who are hard of hearing, they are stuck in 2 different worlds - one hearing one deaf with no real acceptance. Both worlds need to work TOGETHER. Opinions are good! This is what makes life and the world much more interesting hearing different perspectives. But the point being - there is NO RIGHT or WRONG way with whatever path we choose in life or what paths we choose for our children - there are no guarantees - we love our children to death and we'd do anything for them whether we feel or think it is right or wrong.
:whistle: :)

HEY! Wow.. such a good post.. I'm surprised you have change my view of CI people. I admit I must have went too far in begining. But some of you did remark alittle bit "harsh" about deaf people with no CI. Anyway, I did talk to my mom recently about this issuse. She did explain alittle bit better because she is the only one who I really listen and I realize its not about selfish. its about CARING and CONCERN! Simply put! :)

ismi said:
Cochlear implantation is most definitely not major surgery. Trust me - I've read the literature, and I've had various (non-cochlear) surgeries ranging from relatively insignificant to extremely major and life-saving. Cochlear implantation is nothing to sneeze at, sure - but it is *not* major surgery.
Ok since u have experince this so i guess i ll take ur words!

LisaMarie said:
i just cant stand the idea of babies or toddlers going under major surgery so they could hear. Again, that is just my opinion. No hard feeling!

Again I agree with what was said- CI's nowadays are NOT "major surgery". Most are outpatient, where the patient can return home the same day. Mine took 2 hours and I went back to my hotel room after my required 2 hours post-surgery evaluation. I then went home the next day, whereas with my hysterectomy and gallbladder surgeries, I had to stay in the hospital for 5 days each time.

MANY people don't realize that the CI itself is NOT invasive. It isn't implanted in the brain. The only part that is "implanted" is the electrode coil itself. Everything else rests ina shallow bowl carved into the skull, which is not harmful to the patient or their skull. I experienced hardly ANY pain and only a little bit of dizziness/disorientation and that went away in a couple days.

I personally got to watch a CI surgery last November, LIVE (though transmitted to the conference room via closed circuit television.) It took just under 2 hours and it was an amazing experience to be able to watch it happen from the first incision to the very last stitch!

R2D2 said:
Just wanted to let you know that those of us who choose to have a CI are still deaf.

Why does some CI says they're hearing then once they're implant with CI?....

It seem some hearing parents think once they implant their children with CI all their problems are solves and saying they're no longer deaf but hearing....

And even I tell them CI isn't a cure nor means your child is hearing....

Back