CI users only

Curious, anyone of you who have CI. Do you not mind if someone touches your head or hair where the scars position were?

Just curious.

Not at all! I make people to touch my head where the scar and titanium area :laugh2:

I'm okay with people touching that area, but I ask the person who washes my hair (in a beauty salon) to back off from that area because she rubs my head really hard (which feels oh so good). I feel like she can somehow push the magnet/internal parts off kilter. But that's just a mental thing.....

Hope you guys and gals don't mind me answering our experience with Lotte?
I have never seen her "offer" other children to touch her implant-area.
If we want to show it to someone who's interested, she has no problem with that. She will patiently wait and have her hair and head touched.
At home, we don't focus on it... We don't go prevent touching it when we stroke her hair, but we won't do it on purpose. .. LOL... will have to ask her how that feels...
In a larger setting she feels embarrassed. Not by the CI or implant but by the focus on her..

How it is with friends... I don't know. I think the CI is not an issue between them, but like I said... I haven't seen her "showing off" her CI.
-------------
Daredevel7: Yes.. we are careful as well when we wash her hair..... But that's us... she never complained...

If she never offered to show her CI, how does she feel when you want to show it to other people and they want to touch and see? You say she doesn't seem to mind but have you asked her privately how she feels when you want to show it to others?

You brought back a memory of a time when my mother was talking about my new ear level hearings (I just graduated from the horrible Third Boob) and she lifted my hair to show someone and while I smiled politely, inside I was really annoyed. At that time, I was maybe 11 or 12. Then when my mother at another time reached over to pull my hair away to show the hearing aid better, I kinda gave her a look and pulled my head away slightly and she got the hint and never did it again.

If she never offered to show her CI, how does she feel when you want to show it to other people and they want to touch and see? You say she doesn't seem to mind but have you asked her privately how she feels when you want to show it to others?
We just asked her if someone can have a look at her CI. She sometimes doesn't have time for it, and so we let it go. But she doesn't mind the 1 on 1 attention. On the contrairy...
But I'll ask her directly some time.. See what she says.....

You brought back a memory of a time when my mother was talking about my new ear level hearings (I just graduated from the horrible Third Boob) and she lifted my hair to show someone and while I smiled politely, inside I was really annoyed. At that time, I was maybe 11 or 12. Then when my mother at another time reached over to pull my hair away to show the hearing aid better, I kinda gave her a look and pulled my head away slightly and she got the hint and never did it again.
I can imagine.... Well done.... I can tell you we have never shown it without asking her first... And sure.... sometimes she might have just "gone with the flow".. but I don't think so as she also just said no.. and we respected that..
Lotte is not at that age yet where you were.. She's 9. Those two-three years make a lot of difference in a girl. (Her sister is 12... so... we have experienced it.)
Lotte is taking over the responsibility for the CI more and more, getting more and more aware that she has CI, and others do not have it.

Caroline:
How long do you have CI.. and when did you take the control over the CI?

Last edited:
Never had a CI so technically I don't belong on this thread. Just what you posted about showing your daughter's CI to others made me want to pipe up.

if my mother asked me in front of other people if I minded, I would have said no because I loved her and didn't want to make her look bad. Like you said, went with the flow but inwardly, I wasn't happy about it. Didn't like feeling like an exhibit.

Never had a CI so technically I don't belong on this thread. Just what you posted about showing your daughter's CI to others made me want to pipe up.

if my mother asked me in front of other people if I minded, I would have said no because I loved her and didn't want to make her look bad. Like you said, went with the flow but inwardly, I wasn't happy about it. Didn't like feeling like an exhibit.

I totally get that part about feeling like an exhibit. Even at 40 (me) today, when my mom introduces me, she makes a point to over-enunciate and say "This is my DEAF daughter".

I don't understand that. And the people she introduces me to either say stuff like "Oh, I'm so sorry!" or "Oh, you can speak?!" etc. I feel like I should be on display. I HATE HATE HATE it.

I totally get that part about feeling like an exhibit. Even at 40 (me) today, when my mom introduces me, she makes a point to over-enunciate and say "This is my DEAF daughter".

I don't understand that. And the people she introduces me to either say stuff like "Oh, I'm so sorry!" or "Oh, you can speak?!" etc. I feel like I should be on display. I HATE HATE HATE it.

I hate hate that this when my dad does the same thing. This post is making my blood pressure boil over. :mad:

Kind of like being put on display, isn't it.:roll:

I have a theory why parents do things like that, and it has much more to do with them than with what is good for the other person.;)

Right. You wouldn't have told her "no" because she is your mother and you want to please her. Especially when other's are watching.:cool2: It is a shame that parents don't realize this and continue to put their children in these uncomfortable and humiliating situations.

My mom do this too. Introduce me Sunshine deaf daughter. Guess our novelty last long time.

Being put on display was the story of my life...

but never mind that...back to topic. :)

Kind of like being put on display, isn't it.:roll:

That and that I didn't have rights. It's my hearing aid, my body and therefore it's my right to offer others to look and see, not my mother's. So, if she asked me if I minded, I felt compelled to say no specifically because we were in front of others and I was brought up to be a nice girl who always showed respect to her parents and someone who didn't make scenes in public.

I just thought "ok, this is one time. Not going to make a big deal out of it" but when she did it again, then it was like "ok, that's enough, thank you very much."

One kid I taught was grinning and he asked me if I needed a paper clip...I'm like, uh...sure. He pointed at his head, where he had a few metal paper clips stuck on his head. :). Kids!

Back