CI users only

Both and to echo what Cloggy stated her age, the person making the request and the nature of the request are all variables that need to be taken into consideration.

Your child needs to be taken into consideration first, not other people. Asking the child publicly is putting them on the spot. I would talk to my child privately and ask how she feels when adults want to have a look. It's a bit different if it's in situations like a child her age wanting to look. Children have a harder time saying no to adults.

That's called consideration.

Your child needs to be taken into consideration first, not other people. Asking the child publicly is putting them on the spot. I would talk to my child privately and ask how she feels when adults want to have a look. It's a bit different if it's in situations like a child her age wanting to look. Children have a harder time saying no to adults.

Taking " ... all variables into consideration ... " IS taking the child into consideration first....

How do you picture all this? That everyone coming in the house rubs Lotte on her head? Takes of her CI? Lotte is dragged from her game to show her CI?
The CI's go on in the morning, and off when she goes to sleep. In between there's hardly ever focus on it....
The last time I have asked her if someone could see her CI is so long ago that I don't even remember....

Taking " ... all variables into consideration ... " IS taking the child into consideration first....

How do you picture all this? That everyone coming in the house rubs Lotte on her head? Takes of her CI? Lotte is dragged from her game to show her CI?
The CI's go on in the morning, and off when she goes to sleep. In between there's hardly ever focus on it....
The last time I have asked her if someone could see her CI is so long ago that I don't even remember....

No, that's not how I picture it - why do you think I do and what makes you think I am assuming such scenarios? Just saying it's a good idea to talk with your kid first and in private so you know what to do in case someone asks or attempts to touch your kid's CI. There's no need to get sarcastic.

No, that's not how I picture it - why do you think I do and what makes you think I am assuming such scenarios? Just saying it's a good idea to talk with your kid first and in private so you know what to do in case someone asks or attempts to touch your kid's CI.......

Because instead of acknowledging that we act in the best interest of our child, you repeat what has been said in many previous posts. As if you are reading our posts but still assuming we are "exhibiting" our children...

Even here you say/repeat the message with "Just saying it's a good idea to talk with your kid first and in private so you know what to do in case someone asks or attempts to touch your kid's CI." instead of something like "Wonderful to hear that you guys are putting the well being of your daughters first"...

You know.. I (we) agree with you.

Because instead of acknowledging that we act in the best interest of our child, you repeat what has been said in many previous posts. As if you are reading our posts but still assuming we are "exhibiting" our children...

Even here you say/repeat the message with "Just saying it's a good idea to talk with your kid first and in private so you know what to do in case someone asks or attempts to touch your kid's CI." instead of something like "Wonderful to hear that you guys are putting the well being of your daughters first"...

You know.. I (we) agree with you.

My post was about talking to your child about what to do in any situation that relates to someone asking to see or touch your child's CI.

You could have said "that's a good suggestion. Thank you" and just leave it at that. But no, you had to qualify your reply with "welllll....we take all variables into consideration, it really depends on the situation."

Is it really that hard to reply without a but and a qualifier as if your child is different from all other deaf children? I'm giving you advice as someone who was a deaf kid once. Just take it for what it is and not get defensive as if I am making a personal attack.

That's an excellent suggestion.

That's an excellent suggestion. And explained before, we are doing that, because taking " ... all variables into consideration ... " IS taking the child into consideration first...."

I think you missed my point but ok. Good to know.

Most of the time people ask me to touch my CI, but If they do it without permission I would probably smack their hand away, Even though it's offensive, i'm pretty much protective of my CI's, i mean my parents has put so much money into my CI's and i'm not going to ruin it or break it. But if i have to take it off to do my hair or something I would put it on a safe place where its not going to fall off or in a plastic hard bowl or have a friend who I trust hold it for me since he/she knows its very expensive and that I would get mad if she/he drop it.

Just thought of something..
Lotte has no problem putting on or taking off her CI's There's no hesitation. It's like an on/off switch..
I know other people have to go through a (sometimes painful) sound before the Ci starts working.. (This video's in this post give an impression..)

If this is the case I can imagine someone taking off the coil would not only be offensive... it would be painfull...

What are your experiences with starting to use the CI...???

It is possible some of the above comments are for Cochlear Implants with Belt battery. Thus a "bigger production" taking off and on.
Having everything at ear level which I have- not much of a problem at all.

I have shown mine a few times-doesn't bother me at all. Most comments-the "miracle of electronics".

Implanted A B Harmony activated Aug/07

It is possible some of the above comments are for Cochlear Implants with Belt battery. Thus a "bigger production" taking off and on.
Having everything at ear level which I have- not much of a problem at all.

I have shown mine a few times-doesn't bother me at all. Most comments-the "miracle of electronics".
The problem seems to be the sudden stimulation of the nerve. Have a look at the video, where the guy puts on his CI. Think its AB.

Yes.... most comments are about "miracle of electronics" / "wonder of technique".

Nobody has any reason to touch my CI area, only my CI team and surgeon has the right :lol:

My hairdresser, when cutting my hair, she will move my hair but won't touch the area at all.

No, that's not how I picture it - why do you think I do and what makes you think I am assuming such scenarios? Just saying it's a good idea to talk with your kid first and in private so you know what to do in case someone asks or attempts to touch your kid's CI. There's no need to get sarcastic.

Its just that predictable defensive attitude that we see in oralists.

Just thought of something..
Lotte has no problem putting on or taking off her CI's There's no hesitation. It's like an on/off switch..
I know other people have to go through a (sometimes painful) sound before the Ci starts working.. (This video's in this post give an impression..)

If this is the case I can imagine someone taking off the coil would not only be offensive... it would be painfull...

What are your experiences with starting to use the CI...???

This would be a great topic for another thread. FF started this one in regard to a different question.

My post was about talking to your child about what to do in any situation that relates to someone asking to see or touch your child's CI.

You could have said "that's a good suggestion. Thank you" and just leave it at that. But no, you had to qualify your reply with "welllll....we take all variables into consideration, it really depends on the situation."

Is it really that hard to reply without a but and a qualifier as if your child is different from all other deaf children? I'm giving you advice as someone who was a deaf kid once. Just take it for what it is and not get defensive as if I am making a personal attack.

You are seeing the difference in perspective that occurs between the deaf child and the deaf child's parent. You were the deaf child, and you have a very different perspective of what is appropriate than did your mother as the parent of a deaf child. That is why we need to listen to the kids instead of their parents.;)

And also why the OP asked for input from CI users and not the parents of CI users.

Its just that predictable defensive attitude that we see in oralists.
:roll:

This would be a great topic for another thread. FF started this one in regard to a different question.
Thank you for that wise input.... the subtle suggestion of "off topic" disguised in a friendly post..

.. but someone touching the coil of the CI-user, thereby possibly knocking/taking it off can be very painful due to the sudden noise coming through... Not just insulting but even hurtful..

.......And also why the OP asked for input from CI users and not the parents of CI users.
Interesting how you define "CI-users" as "Not the parents of CI users."

btw... Jillio.. since you are posting, you must be a CI user... You haven't answered FF's question..
"Do you not mind if someone touches your head or hair where the scars position were? "

:roll:

Thank you for that wise input.... the subtle suggestion of "off topic" disguised in a friendly post..

.. but someone touching the coil of the CI-user, thereby possibly knocking/taking it off can be very painful due to the sudden noise coming through... Not just insulting but even hurtful..

Interesting how you define "CI-users" as "Not the parents of CI users."

btw... Jillio.. since you are posting, you must be a CI user... You haven't answered FF's question..
"Do you not mind if someone touches your head or hair where the scars position were? "

I haven't posted anything in regard to the question asked by FF. I have, however, verified the statements of another poster. You, on the other hand, are posting regarding the experience of being a CI user. Quite a difference.

I haven't posted anything in regard to the question asked by FF. I have, however, verified the statements of another poster. You, on the other hand, are posting regarding the experience of being a CI user. Quite a difference.
Precisely. No need. I do. You're wrong.

Precisely. No need. I do. You're wrong.

Oh, grow up already.

Thanks for continuing to derail this thread. You don't have any more right to be in this thread than those you are accusing of. Some of us are actually interested in reading this thread.

Back