Changing a gas tank

WTF? What an asshole! Government bureaucratic assholes. It's not like we don't have insurance on our trikes...but this is just stupid. Greedy peckerheads.

I believe the mechanic you had was wanting to make a bit off you by replacing the entire fuel system (easier as well) but you only need the components that are actually bad. Could be just a clogged filter, maybe a bad fuel pump? even a clogged injector. If you give some more details on what actually happened leading up to the problem I can sometimes figure it out other times you need a diagnostic test done.

I believe the mechanic you had was wanting to make a bit off you by replacing the entire fuel system (easier as well) but you only need the components that are actually bad. Could be just a clogged filter, maybe a bad fuel pump? even a clogged injector. If you give some more details on what actually happened leading up to the problem I can sometimes figure it out other times you need a diagnostic test done.

well we changed the fuel filter, and the injectors seem to be working...they spray stuff out...at least until suddenly it just stops and the van dies. Since neither me mate nor myself are mechanically inclined thats about the extent of my knowledge. Wouldn't surprise me if someone was trying to make a "quick" buck off us, but it could be that the tank is just filthy. It is an old van.:hmm:

If never add Ethanol in the first place, there is no reason to stabilize the gas.

My theory why WVA gas station owners refused to add Ethanol as required by EPA. Refinery don't add Ethanol on gas because they know that they will degrade within 30 days. Need to wait until the tanker dumped gas in tank under gas station, thats when they add Ethanol. Their reason is because of coal industry. EPA really really screwed West Virginia coal industry, and majority of WVA residents have business with Coal industry. As effective of January 2014, all coal fired power plants are required to rebuild and install emission controls in their chimney which cost $$$$ and will use more coal. So, coal fired power plant owners have two choices here. Spend millions and millions dollars to upgrade the chimney with filters and catalytic converters and so on OR spend hundred thousands of dollars just to convert from Coal to Natural Gas, and converting to Natural gas would mean less people needed to operate the power plant, and can be done automatically in some areas which is another savings to plant owners. No more need freight train to bring coal to the plant which is money saving for power plant owners. This leaves WVA economy with what? So, they probably have cooperated each other not to add Ethanol to give middle fingers to EPA.

Maybe they stablized ethanol with some addictives to prevent it from going into acid state?

Maybe, depending on where he lives. If it is in West Virginia, you will be less likely to find gas station that offers gas mix with Ethanol. Almost all gas station in WVA refused to add Ethanol on their gas. I think I know why but :-X

If it is truly Ethanol causing problem, then there are lot of parts that needs to be replaced. Many parts can't handle Ethanol, its like acid to some parts like O ring, etc.

Thanks alot EPA! And yes, EPA wants increase from 10% to 15% content. It is going to ruin alot of engines, not just cars, but lawn mower, lawn tractors, weed whackers, chain saw, older motorcycles, and so on.

newer models can handle ethanol. older models can't.

If never add Ethanol in the first place, there is no reason to stabilize the gas.

My theory why WVA gas station owners refused to add Ethanol as required by EPA. Refinery don't add Ethanol on gas because they know that they will degrade within 30 days. Need to wait until the tanker dumped gas in tank under gas station, thats when they add Ethanol. Their reason is because of coal industry. EPA really really screwed West Virginia coal industry, and majority of WVA residents have business with Coal industry. As effective of January 2014, all coal fired power plants are required to rebuild and install emission controls in their chimney which cost $$$$ and will use more coal. So, coal fired power plant owners have two choices here. Spend millions and millions dollars to upgrade the chimney with filters and catalytic converters and so on OR spend hundred thousands of dollars just to convert from Coal to Natural Gas, and converting to Natural gas would mean less people needed to operate the power plant, and can be done automatically in some areas which is another savings to plant owners. No more need freight train to bring coal to the plant which is money saving for power plant owners. This leaves WVA economy with what? So, they probably have cooperated each other not to add Ethanol to give middle fingers to EPA.

Natural gas is cleaner, so I guess it's a smart move BUT, BUT there is a huge problem with fracking in the United States that cause contimated water supply and water table underground to become posionous and flammable.

True, every old mower Ive owned and go cart motors have died out. It oxidizes the metal in the fuel bowl, the jets and the floats... it causes chaos in old engines. Even my 51 buick special with adding lead additives to the fuel, it still ruined everything.
Plus the government required all old cars when traded in to have the motors seized with some shit in the oil so people could re use them ( engine rebuilders, hot rodders...ect... ) wasted a good many motors . Just because the car was junk, the motor wasn't until then,,, nice rebuildable small block as well as some big block MoPars....sad sad sad

How does one change a gas tank? We got a van a few months ago and after getting some bad gas the entire fuel system got trashed. What a bitch! We have been told we need to put a new tank on it...as well as a few other items. It is a 92 Chevy Mark 3. HELP!

92 Chevy Mark 3? I never see Mark 3 before. What model? What engine size? Automatic or manual tranny? If you don't know then I can't help you. Waste my time.

Siphon Pump - Save on this Siphon Pump at Harbor Freight

Use Fluid Siphon Pump to dump all old gas out first and replace the new fuel filter then fill 1 gal of gasoline and check fuel pressure gauge. It should be around 20 PSI.

Explain to me why you think it's bad tank? It got leak? After dump the old gas out and check fuel if it looks good or not. If no rust or dirty then nothing to wrong with tank.

20 PSI? How do you know? Me? I don't know cuz OP didn't mention what engine size is...

Do you think that maybe the mechanic told you that it needed fuel tank overhaul because he/she thought you may be an idiot and fall for that gimmick? Try to get 2nd and 3rd opinion. I'm not saying that every mechanic is terrible, but you may have ran into one that wants to rip you off. Don't let anyone do that.

Excellent advice.

Back