Caution when using HOVRS

Tostitos

Reaction score
Mod, if you feel like this is in wrong place, feel free to move it.

I feel like it’s important to warn the deaf community about HOVRS (hand-on relay service). Of course, any of you have the free choice to use any relay service so please keep that in mind. 

My experience with HOVRS was not very pleasant and they have lost my trust. Be careful when you give them your information such as applying for free d-link, isight, webcam, or giving information to HOVRS interpreters. They will do anything to find out more about you!

I applied for free D-Link from HOVRS and I left phone number field blank since I don’t have one. Then I got an email from a rep from HOVRS asking for a phone number. So I gave him my parent’s phone number and I explained CLEARLY that this number is VOICE ONLY. About a week later I finally got Sorenson VP-100 (sorry HOVRS, they beat you). I eventually got a phone call through Sorenson VP-100 from a rep from HOVRS (I refused to answer). Next day I got an email from this person saying they rejected my application because they detected that I already have VRS equipment.

Actually I don’t mind them rejecting my application since I already have equipment from SorensonVRS. But my concern is my privacy has been violated since I have clearly stated that my parent’s phone number is VOICE-ONLY but they tested on me. I quite don’t appreciate that at all.

My friend’s application got rejected too. Get this….

My roommate applied for free iSight from HOVRS. She wanted one so she can use VRS anywhere she wish with her Mac Laptop. She NEVER put down her VRS phone numbers (for Sorenson and CSD) on her application but HOVRS somehow snooped on her and found her VRS equipments (I have no idea how they found out) and rejected her application.

HOVRS will literally cross the line with privacy issue. That got me worried about using their service… will they respect our privacy? How much can they find out about you? Will HOVRS interpreters keep with their code of ethics? Very questionable but it’s up to you to use their service or not.

HOVRS to me is alrighty, but after found out that HOVRS have relationship with WyndSUCKtell. I quit using them, because I do NOT want to have anything to do with WyndSUCKtell!

HOVRS might have investiaged any applicants' phone number to ensure that they do not own their videophones. IF they do own their own vp, HOVRS denied the applicants' requests.

That's why it is not fair for another deaf applicants who waited so long that they do not have any vp yet. My friends had to wait in order to obtain the vp so long like a few months, sometimes five months.

It should be clear on the application that they are expecting customers without VRS equipment. Or a question, "do you own any VRS equipment?", should be put down on application.

When I saw that HOVRS guy's name on my Sorenson VP-100, I was like :ugh:

Using my given phone number for different reason is a big no no. :nono:

Makes me think twice about using their service, who knows what they're doing without our knowledge.

That's just sick and an invasion of privacy. You applied for the free equipment according to their specifications, they did not ask if you have any other VRS equipment. If having other VRS equipment was vital to the qualification process, they should have included that in the application. Complain to the FCC that they are doing false marketing and invading your privacy.

Interesting - when I applied for HOVRS they knew I already had Sorensons, but they allowed my application to go through. Didn't say that I wasn't allowed to have other VPS equipment. I still have both of them. :dunno:

R3na3Blyth3 said:
Interesting - when I applied for HOVRS they knew I already had Sorensons, but they allowed my application to go through. Didn't say that I wasn't allowed to have other VPS equipment. I still have both of them. :dunno:

Same here. When they called me on the VP100, I just told them I want to switch from Sorenson. There was no problem after that.

interesting.. I didn't know HOVRS is related to wyndtell pager oh well I don't really care about HOVRS ;)

R3na3Blyth3 said:

R3na3Blyth3 - I think you mentioned once that you know someone personally from HOVRS, right?

dkf747 said:
Same here. When they called me on the VP100, I just told them I want to switch from Sorenson. There was no problem after that.

dkf747 - I assume that you already gave them your VP-100 phone number. I didn't.

I just got my free iSight webcam from HOVRS, I applied online over a month ago. All I need is better foreground light then I can use it to sign to interpreter for video relay on my computer. :)

Vrs

How sad that some in the community feel they need to have seperate machines to make calls. The reality is we are supposed to be able to make any call we want from our machines to whomever we want. If any VRS provider interferes with that, then a call to the FCC is needed. Don't let the providers make you think that you NEED them. They NEED you in order to make the money they are making. This is big business right now. One machine is all that is supposed to be required.

Ever since HOVRS becme a part of GoAmerica ( wyndtell parent ) their service qualities have decreased somewhat.

My theory is that GoAmerica is using every trick in the book to locate former wynd subscribers and hit them up if they still owe wynd.

It's sad that even a friendly vrs company can change plenty once they become in the grips of a highly aggressive company.

Richard

Nesmuth said:
Ever since HOVRS becme a part of GoAmerica ( wyndtell parent ) their service qualities have decreased somewhat.

My theory is that GoAmerica is using every trick in the book to locate former wynd subscribers and hit them up if they still owe wynd.

It's sad that even a friendly vrs company can change plenty once they become in the grips of a highly aggressive company.

Richard

Ricahrd

it is sad that you use HOVRS in your OCDAC booth at the Orange County Fair.

That is true, mainly because Wynd's credit rating and reputation has been destroyed. They can NOT get collection agencies to chase those who didn't pay the bill! Alot of Wynd customer file complaint, and most of them are very similiar to each other and it DOES make Wynd look real bad.

I am not sure which year Wynd no longer able to get collection agency to do service for them. Sometimes in 2002 or 2003.

I refused to pay the remainder of the debts with Wynd for good reason. I already asked Wynd to comply with contract agreement and they refused so, I stopped paying them. They kept sending me bill demanding my money. Too bad, and they haven't report to credit bureau under my name! hehehe Their LOSS! It is NOT fair for me to honor the contract while they don't honor the contract with me.

FYI Wynd owes GoAmerica around 20 million dollars. Wynd borrowed 20M from GoAm at the time when customer base shrank from 28,000 to approx 4k. now they have only 1,000 subscribers, and how could they pay back 20m?

I even warned Dan Luis, the owner and founder of Wynd to deal with customers FIRST and told him that it is at least 3 times harder to find new customers than to keep old customers. He gave me excuses that he can't deal with customers now, need to deal with his company first. I said best of luck, then BYE!

Nesmuth said:

Richard

Yeah Last night I heard at a deaf meet that many of the good folks has left HOVRS already.

Richard

qwerty123 said:
Ricahrd

it is sad that you use HOVRS in your OCDAC booth at the Orange County Fair.

Not only HOVRS was at our booth this year. Maybe this picture will refresh your clouded thoughts.

attachment.php

Richard

I am looking for a free iSight for my Apple computer. I don't want to involve with the contracts. Do you know a website address that I could get a free one?

webexplorer said:
I am looking for a free iSight for my Apple computer. I don't want to involve with the contracts. Do you know a website address that I could get a free one?

HOVRS.com has them. There is no contract required. Click on the "Free VRS Equipment" box.

I am just wondering how does HOVRS makes money if they give away the free video stuff? Is it part of a phone or cable bill?

Back