Can You Hear or Feel The Music?.....

Synthesizers are sound generators and they are programmed by the user by programming specific parameters of waveforms. Every sound in the world can be broken down into a sine wave. (similar to the sound you hear in a hearing test) lol
They use pure tone sine waveform because it travels best in the air and it has one harmonic, itself. It makes for a good test signal because there is no artifact or other overlaying harmonics that will interfere with the person hearing it. Anyway as my name states, I am a synth freak and love it to death. I use reciever earmolds with dai's to hear what I am playing and also use the amp speaker. I actually have a hard time hearing the speaker even though it is less than 4 feet away, with my hearing aids on its good and loud. I used to get in trouble for playing my synthesizers on max volume and my mother could hear everything. I do not have much luck with headphones though, they do not get loud enough and tend to start overheating in my ear, not cool. I sometimes will sit on my amp speaker like a piano bench and play that way and its easier to follow the beat that way. I often get frustrated though that I can not seem to get a pure signal that is loud enough without causing the speaker to feedback. I recently got my Naida ultrapower hearing aids and use them in the studio with my Icom and the amp on at the same time, and it sounds like I am in a concert hall, very rich and full sounding. I am trying other ways to get the amp I need without damaging my equipment! lol I only hear the middle range of the keyboard. The lower octaves 1 and 2 on an 88 key piano are heard only with my hearing aids on. I cant hear the higher octaves either. With my Naida hearing aids I can hear one or two notes more, but thats all. I have no hearing below 200hz or above 3000kHz. I believe normal is 20hz to 14000kHz. On my audiogram my best hearing 88db is at 250-2000kHz. When I compose music I often use notes that I cant hear, but from experience and octave shifting, I know what the result will be. Anyway I am so excited to find a forum for deaf and hoh musicians. Even if my hearing were to completely go, I will find some way to play music. I compose music everyday for the last 20 years and will forever.
Synthesizers rule!! Also I have a YT channel of our music called "jumellemusic". Check it out and turn it up loud! lol

I feel the vibrations, and my fav beats to feel are usually those in hip hop, but depends on the producer or genre inside rap itself. I like G-Funk , popularized by Dr. Dre and Warren G (two of my favorite producers), Hyphy (music from SF Bay) has a loud speed up bass playing, and also some on the East Coast. I also find Motown beats very identifiable when feeling the vibrations, probably because Motown songs were the first beats I've felt as an child growing up in Detroit, my aunt and uncles would play it in the car loud all the time (and they were hearing !! LOL) ...I don't have no plm with trance or other genres...but I'm not as knowledgeable in those genres though.

I'm supposed to be hearing, but most of the time what I hear is the music and the beat -- not the words.

If I want to know what they are saying I have to find the lyrics on the net and read them.

I'm supposed to be hearing, but most of the time what I hear is the music and the beat -- not the words.

If I want to know what they are saying I have to find the lyrics on the net and read them.

One of my favorite sites to go to for rap lyrics is OHHLA.com , for any other genre of music ..the lyrics i get at sing365.com

I absolutely adore music. I can hear it clearly with HAs (but not at all without.) I have many songs on my laptop and own many CDs. If I hear a song I like, I find the lyrics and learn them, and then I can follow along - it isn't even hard for me to do so. I find that very surprising at my level of hearing loss. I listen to music all day long and sing along with it (but I have NO sense of being in-key :lol: )

you and me both!!! :D what are your favorites ?

Perfect sort of question!!! :)

I have learned to "hear" music somewhat with my cochlear implant but I still prefer laying on my floor next to my boom box (or whatever the technical term is lol) and feeling the music (via the deep vibrations) all through me. It's amazing, makes me feel truly one with the music. It's cool both ways though cuz one way, if I memorize the lyrics and listen to a song enough, I can sing along with the music but still....the music through the vibrations reaches me far more than just understanding lyrics that usually wind up being nonsense anyway. Honestly, sometimes I wonder if it wouldn't be better if I'd never gotten the cochlear at all. Then again, I have days where I thank the Lord it worked out for me to have the surgery. Idk, as you can see, I'm often on the fence about it, my own "devil's advocate" as it were lol! :-P

I love music even when I don't understand the words, (thank you Lyrics.com I now understand the words to my favorite the songs). Whether I wear my HA's or not words are not good with me, my loss is where most people speak. But, music is the great equalizer, whether you like Bach or Tu-Pac, music makes you feel emotion. I feel it more then I hear it. I love Vivaldi and Aerosmith, they both make me energized.

my daughter is gradually going deaf. she points to the various bones in her skull and explains where she feels the vibrations. she's using the time she has left to identify as many different musical instruments as she can with where she feels the vibrations in her bones.

As her mom, I'm just so impressed with this! She's teaching me a whole new way to appreciate music! (now I try to feel as well as hear the music, too!)

I am speech deaf so I am limited as far as songs to what I use to listen to as a kid. A lot of 70's 60's 80's and stuff. This is basically what I continue to listen to because It's what I like and even with lyrics, some things just sound bad. I have to work off my brain. I have recorded some parodies in the past and complain of my voice sounding higher then it should.

In playing an instrument, I always end up with my head against the guitar or using my harmonica because I'll start not being able to tell notes apart.

i feel music. i am a beat adict. anything with good beat. coolest thing for me is feeling vibrations of when i play my violin. ahhh, the music is in my head, i dont need to hear it....

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows CE; IEMobile 7.11) 320x320; XV6900; Window Mobile 6.1 Professional;)

I use a CI, so of course I can hear it (speech or lyrics is another matter! :lol: ). I play bass on the side, for those of you with depth perception problems - ALOT bigger than the bass illustration shown below! :thumb:

I can make out the basic tune if it is loud enough or right next to my ear but can't hear words. If I know the lyrics I may make actually sense of 4-5 words. I figure out the rest from reading them. I feel the beat more. However, I hate bass as it vibrates right through my body and disturbs my insides for a long time afterwards, makes me lose balance and become disorientated. Musicboxes - can't hear.

Do you like songs (music) with drums loud beats? I would like to work ( I not consider music work, just can't think of a better word) and understand what deaf enjoy, feel, visually hear in music, and to find ways to make more accessible to you.

I'll say I could do both. Hear and Feel the music. Although I usually don't understand the words unless I know the song well or could see the singer's face.

I can hear and feel the music...only if I have hearing aids, I can hear the music but don't understand the words...only the instrument sounds.

I can only feel the beat of the music. I personally just go for the memories and "hear" the music and sing quietly to myself. I will also sing along with a youtube video if the lyrics are there to a song I know.

Back