Can You Hear or Feel The Music?.....

I don't like vocal music at all!

I really enjoy the sound of double bass and tympani.

The vibrations of a double bass being played at home pretty much shake a whole house.

DJ Tiesto's Adiago for Strings makes me feel like Im flying through a perfect blue sky.
?

Dude, I love Tiesto!! He s amazing DJ and he knows now to live up the party mofo. Personally I think trance or drum n bass is the best choice for deaf people because these genres consist little or no voices which suit better for deaf people IMO.

Without my HA, I don't hear much. With my hearing aids, I can enjoy lower pitch music. I cannot understand words either. However, music sounds more "normal" to me without my hearing aids. I can listen to it via headphones really loud, but then everyone around me knows what I am listening to. I like rhythmic music for dancing and running, but I don't have much of a musical background.

My college roommate is a music performance major. Our freshman year, she was really thoughtful with respect to our musical differences and one day took me to the practice room and had me place my hands on her harp and feel the instrument as she played.

My college roommate is a music performance major. Our freshman year, she was really thoughtful with respect to our musical differences and one day took me to the practice room and had me place my hands on her harp and feel the instrument as she played.

Wow!!! She is a "Class Act" and that's character and style! A friend like that is a keeper!!:thumb:

Yes! I can hear music very clear... However it depends on the song itself. If it's fast with loud drumming and guitars it makes it hard to understand what the artist is saying so I need the lyrics and then I get it from there. I have no issue with music. Music is my life. ROCK ON!!!!!!!!!

It's funny...before I became HOH i was going to minor in music...
anyway...
i can definitely say that i don't enjoy music like i used to. i miss it LOADS but i still try to listen to it...even though it makes me frustrated and sometimes depressed when i know it doesn't sound the way it used to. i tend to crank it up crazy loud if i won't bother anyone to feel the vibrations and sometimes i can catch where the words are landing...i don't understand the words, but i can tell sometimes that something is being said...so i pull up the lyrics to figure out what is being said.
sometimes though it doesn't really work. like i just joined a sign language performance club at my college...and we were learning "Footloose" in a room that didn't really give off any vibrations. so i ended up just watching the people leading and their body language to figure out when to start signing each phrase...it was a bit depressing lol. BUT i came back to my room and have been blasting footloose all weekend and i've figured out how many counts are in between each phrase so i know when to come in!
umm...as for what i used to do...i don't sing anymore or play the piano really (i'm hoping that once i get a set of aids i'll enjoy both again though)...and i stopped playing percussion with groups because i couldn't tune the tympanis without a tuner and i was having difficulty following what the conductor said (they always ban the percussion to the back of the group!) sometimes for composition purposes they'd be like "ok, hear the trumpets do this then you come straight in" instead of trying to count...and well that never quite worked.
so yeah. lol. i am a softy though for "drum corps"-i think it's because it adds visual to the music so i can follow quite a bit of it...and wow those kids can really BLAST their instruments because if I can make them out then they must be loud right?

I can feel the music through vibration only. I can't hear them, but I can feel them. :)

A challenge: Fantasia 2000

I got a challenge for everyone....

If you got DVD/VCR player with A/V output, connect it with stereo, tune volume to a level where you feel comfortable with vibration, insert the movie "Fantasia 2000", place speakers in front of you, take shoe off and place your feet on it. Start watching Fantasia 2000 and feel the vibrations at same time! It's AWESOME! It is a movie about art and instrumental music playing WITHOUT any vocals AT ALL, NOT EVEN A WORD! A mind-blowing experience!

As a percussionist, I'd have to work twice as hard because of other music players in the band. I'm in a class band in high school and in the Winter Drumline playing in the pit and playing as Marimba as a co-leader section.

Everyday, I use my cochlear implant alot in music. For Ipods, music class, after school music activity, and so much more. But I use both sense: Hearing and feeling the music. I had to write a paper on how I can tell that I know that i'm playing the right parts in Band class:

"As a percussionist and as a deaf person I'd feel the music because I know where my hands are moving to. Because I have memorized every note on the viberaphone, Marimba, xylophone, you name it. And I know where all the notes are. And so I listen to my hands. And If I noticed that I didn't play something right, I'd realized that i made a mistake in the wrong note of the music. And I've improved alot since the beginning of the Marching season."

To me, moving your hand on a piece of instrument that you play is like feeling the music. And I'd have to work twice as hard just to make the music sound perfect. And I'd have to get the right notes.

My brother has a mild loss and my son is profound/moderate and they both seem to 'feel' the music...

My brother learned to play the cello and guitar as a middle schooler-- he learned by 'feeling' the vibration of the instrument... he could tell his instrument was out of tune before anyone else could b/c it felt wrong... he also prefers music w/a LOT of bass-- and few words audiable words- he likes HARD rock... he can't hear the lyrics w/his processing/hearing issues...

My son on the other hand is still an infant but if he's in the car and I'm not playing music w/a lot of bass-- he gets upset... he also LOVES to play his little piano and the drums... he hears some music but I think he feels it more than anything...

My brother has a mild loss and my son is profound/moderate and they both seem to 'feel' the music...

My brother learned to play the cello and guitar as a middle schooler-- he learned by 'feeling' the vibration of the instrument... he could tell his instrument was out of tune before anyone else could b/c it felt wrong... he also prefers music w/a LOT of bass-- and few words audiable words- he likes HARD rock... he can't hear the lyrics w/his processing/hearing issues...

My son on the other hand is still an infant but if he's in the car and I'm not playing music w/a lot of bass-- he gets upset... he also LOVES to play his little piano and the drums... he hears some music but I think he feels it more than anything...
Yeah. When babies can't hear, they can get fuzzy. Feeling something keeps them calm. :)

I can hear music with My Ci but iv no interest in it whatsoever. But if i feel it i can feel the differences in the pitches

I don't hear the music, so much. I guess, I could if I knew what to expect, then I ID the patterns, however I just feel it. Even when I had an iPod and a headset, I couldn't really hear the music, since I have profound sensorineural hearing loss, but I could feel the beat against my head. There have been times where people have to ask me to down the music because I turned them up so I can feel the music in my ears.

As far as preference go, I go for the ones with solid bassline and beats that is generally upbeat like ska, reggae, surf rock and pop-punk. I like the feel of the bounce. :laugh2: Sometimes I would listen to hiphop, but only the politically conscious ones so I don't get people angry at me for supporting things I don't approve of (ie. drugs, grudges and so on.) So lyrics doesn't really matter to me. I have gotten into trouble because I like the feel of the music, but because I couldn't hear the "offensive" lyrics... Yeah. :lol::roll:

My perception improves and worsen some time. I've been told that meaning I hear it, but I don't know for sure. At times, I can understand the music, and I love love it! I can never understand lyrics, but I can read them online. Sometime I think I can understand the words if I can only plus volume slightly, but it becomes rough, and like earthquake. But I have around 700 songs on my computer from a large box of CDs, and I enjoy them any time I can. Music is so emotional, and I enjoy it best when I'm alone so people don't tease how I react to it :) :giggle: :lol: :rofl: :hmm:

It's funny...before I became HOH i was going to minor in music...
anyway...
i can definitely say that i don't enjoy music like i used to. i miss it LOADS but i still try to listen to it...even though it makes me frustrated and sometimes depressed when i know it doesn't sound the way it used to. i tend to crank it up crazy loud if i won't bother anyone to feel the vibrations and sometimes i can catch where the words are landing...i don't understand the words, but i can tell sometimes that something is being said...so i pull up the lyrics to figure out what is being said.

Same here. I was really into the jazz scene before I became HOH and now I really miss the crisp sound that I don't get anymore. I crank it up crazy loud in search of that crispness too, but I just don't get it anymore.

I can't hear the words. For music I know already I can fill in the gaps. For music I've never heard before it's hard to make sense of, especially if it has an elaborate harmony as jazz often does.

I enjoy music when the mood strikes me. Mostly I play a percussion instrument, which is my piano, where I bang out my ragtime. Lots of ways to embellish it, and you can play it to make it sound quite lyrical.

Enjoy vocal music such Billy Joel, U2, Marty Robbins, Roy Orbinson, Johnny Cash, even the riotiously funny Ray Stevens' songs.

I absolutely adore music. I can hear it clearly with HAs (but not at all without.) I have many songs on my laptop and own many CDs. If I hear a song I like, I find the lyrics and learn them, and then I can follow along - it isn't even hard for me to do so. I find that very surprising at my level of hearing loss. I listen to music all day long and sing along with it (but I have NO sense of being in-key :lol: )

Hello everyone. I am 26 and have been composing music since I was 6 years old. I started teaching myself to play the piano and taught myself how to compose as well. I have a twin sister who is also deaf-blind and we have a band named "jumelle". I started losing my the rest of my hearing later on when I was 13 and no matter how bad my hearing is, I will never give it up. I produced two CDs while in middle school and have performed on the radio and for the news. What an awesome experience! I play and compose music everyday in my studio. I am a keyboardist and also play the cello, bass, piano, dulcimer and synthesizer. My specialty is synthesizers. I study sound synthesis theory and design all my own sounds that I compose with. I use Linear Arithmetic synthesis and Analogue subtractive synthesis for using numbers to alter waveforms that are rich in harmonics to get the desired sound I want. It takes about 2 hours to make a useful sound on my Roland D-50 synthesizer from 1988.
I can not understand any lyrics in music but I can hear most of the song. I only listen to 80s music and I think that is because I heard it the best when I was little and still remember it. I can't stand rap music or country.

Back