Buried of Cremated?

yes, I know, I was just being silly.

I would rather be buried in a burlap sack in the middle of an open field so a mini mall can't be built over me.

Still the mall will be built over you in the far future!! :wave:

f.u.c.k....:eek3:
hmmm i wouldt have a clue how they feel about it, after all its their culture and tradition...probably love the idea to stay with their husbands...
i think its really stupid...almost as if they cant handle grieve...

It's not that they can't handle grief. It's that in their culture, a single, elderly woman is considered nearly worthless, often has no income in her own name, and her life is a misery without a husband to support her.

It's not that they can't handle grief. It's that in their culture, a single, elderly woman is considered nearly worthless, often has no income in her own name, and her life is a misery without a husband to support her.

ofc its their culture im not stupid, im saying in their culture they cant handle greif, and the 'worthless widow' is that 'social death', a nobody shunned from society. For each and every cultures we have what is permissionable and what is not, or more accurately; prohibitions and concessions. I still stand in my opinion, they cant handle grieve as it is not given any concessions in their culture. Having said this, I'm not going to pretend I like or 'understand' Indian culture - I don't. It is just the same way as western people dont like muslims and their fanatical culture, only difference is the media hasnt given 'concessions/permission' to dislike Indian culture, in other words its not a popular opinion, then again its not neccessary a wrong one.

simply put, i think its cruel to shun the elderly like this, do you think its would be right to shun them in the west? i bet you dont. Id make a bad anthropologist lol

but Get back to topic!, buried or cremated...dont wuffle about cultures too much unless its really relevant

What about a young widow like 18 years old?
Roop Kanwar - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I think it is just women in general that is considered to be very lowly. I just think it is plain wrong.

Can't believe. Urban myth. Lala can't hear you.

Okay. Just gives me the chance to say "Told ya' so!" :lol:

The phrase "dead ringer" as in Tim is a dead ringer for his brother Bob (meaning he looks so much like him he could be mistaken for him). In Victorian times, it was not easy to determine whether a person was actually dead or in a deep coma. They attached a string to a finger or a toe. That string was attached to a bell above the gurney. They were left in the morgue for several days until decomposition set in. During that time, any movement would cause the bell to ring. In other words, they looked just like they were dead, but they weren't dead. Just like Tim looks just like Bob but isn't Bob. They were also known to attach a string to a corpse, run it through the lid of the coffin, and attach it to a bell there. The grave was not filled in for several days. Back then, the only way to determine death beyond a doubt was to see the body start to decompose.

Seriously...I can't make this stuff up! I've got another one that was done when science was pondering whether the brain retained consciousness after physical death, but it is really a bit gross so I won't go into it.

Actually, I got this stuff from neurobiological psychology texts. So...up to you. You can believe a website pulled from somewhere, or you can believe me.

Origin of phrase "dead ringer:"

A dead ringer

Has to do with horses, amazingly enough, and not people buried alive and ringing the bell.

I did not say it had anything to do with people who were buried alive, but the way that death was once determined from a person in a deep coma.

Oops. Sorry, Grum. Didn't mean to ignore your request to get back on target. Again, my choice is to have my body donated to a teaching hospital for research.

Cremated, definitely!

My gf was a mortician... let's just say that after hearing about her old job, it makes me very secure about my choice in being cremated instead of buried!!!

I hated going to funerals of my grandparents and seeing open caskets. It was just very disturbing. Especially when it is very traditional to kiss the bodies in my family.

As for the "green" way of being cremated, wow never heard of it until now. Just googled it. It sounds pretty damn cool actually. I wouldn't mind doing that!!!

I knew a woman that was cremated and she requested that all her friends have a party after and take some of her ashes home with them. Some people put the ashes in their gardens.

cremated... for a few reasons actually....

I know that I would be gone by then but still I'm claustrophobic alive, I couldn't see myself in a casket. And all those buried alive movies just about killed any chances of me wanting to be buried even if I was gone.

It just makes since to me, to be cremated, and for my ashes to be sprinkled somewhere like the ocean or something.

Buried Alive in New Haven, Vermont? Fear of Premature Burial in Vermont
this is interesting , this had a fear of being buried alive , I wonder if this happen a lot 100's of years ago.

Anybody read Stiff by Mary Roach?

Excellent book! One of my favorite nonfiction books.

As for me, I want the Timothy Leary treatment: cremate me and then shoot my ashes up into space on a rocket so that I can achieve the "ultimate high." Lol.

That, or roast me Jedi style.

Mom changed her mind on her wishes this evening. She still wants to be cremated, but wants to be put in a pot with a Phyllis rose bush. Her name is Phyllis and that rose is bright red and that's her favorite color. After we get our house, she plans on buying the rose bush and having it potted. She called a local nursery and has one on reserve. The gardener is an old friend of the family.

As for me, I want the Timothy Leary treatment: cremate me and then shoot my ashes up into space on a rocket so that I can achieve the "ultimate high." Lol.

Darn it, now I have to put everything else aside and read it! Recommendation from you and Loveblue....I have no choice!:P

I had a friend that knew Timothy Leary, they made LSD together!

Okay. Just gives me the chance to say "Told ya' so!" :lol:

The phrase "dead ringer" as in Tim is a dead ringer for his brother Bob (meaning he looks so much like him he could be mistaken for him). In Victorian times, it was not easy to determine whether a person was actually dead or in a deep coma. They attached a string to a finger or a toe. That string was attached to a bell above the gurney. They were left in the morgue for several days until decomposition set in. During that time, any movement would cause the bell to ring. In other words, they looked just like they were dead, but they weren't dead. Just like Tim looks just like Bob but isn't Bob. They were also known to attach a string to a corpse, run it through the lid of the coffin, and attach it to a bell there. The grave was not filled in for several days. Back then, the only way to determine death beyond a doubt was to see the body start to decompose.

Seriously...I can't make this stuff up! I've got another one that was done when science was pondering whether the brain retained consciousness after physical death, but it is really a bit gross so I won't go into it.

Actually, I got this stuff from neurobiological psychology texts. So...up to you. You can believe a website pulled from somewhere, or you can believe me.

I do believe you...I want not to!

Back