Budgeting on $20.00 - video *ASL heavy*

I thought you were 26? Well that explains a number of things..

I know a family who's 6th and 7th generation deaf though I haven't seen them in years. You sign like them. I'm referring to Ridor's family BTW.

I'll check.

Ahh to be 26! :lol:

Yes, that would be Taylor generation.

Ricky comes from the 6th generation and the 7th is his Deaf niece from his sister Hedy.

The multi-generational Deaf families were common in the past, became a rarity in the 50's and now they are becoming common again.

I thought you were 26? Well that explains a number of things..

I know a family who's 6th and 7th generation deaf though I haven't seen them in years. You sign like them. I'm referring to Ridor's family BTW.

I'll check.

I think Stauton, VA have generation of deafs, that's where Ridor's family went. that's where my Grandma's deaf sister went, she is very heavy ASL... My grandma actually have three deaf sisters. two went to Staunton, VA but one died at a very young age-in her teens. The other didn't go to stauton, VA.

My oldest sister is 39 years old... will be 40... I'm having a hard time believing she is heading to 40 years old. I keep thinking she is still in her 20's

I think Stauton, VA have generation of deafs, that's where Ridor's family went. that's where my Grandma's deaf sister went, she is very heavy ASL... My grandma actually have three deaf sisters. two went to Staunton, VA but one died at a very young age-in her teens. The other didn't go to stauton, VA.

Mrs. Taylor told me that her family is from North Carolina once (Helen Duncan is her sister) and I think Ridor's dad's family went to VSDB for generations. Correct me if I'm wrong.

I can think of two Deaf families from Staunton. One would be the Nelsons (Paul and Rebecca Nelson) and Mr. Nelson. I forget his first name. They're at least 2 generation Deaf though I must admit I don't know much about the Nelsons.

And then there's the Hughes, I knew Billy Hughes though not well and I have met his sister Kathy Hughes. I don't think they're actually from the Staunton area itself but I'm under the impression they live in the Shenandoah regional area.

Ahh to be 26! :lol:

Yes, that would be Taylor generation.

Ricky comes from the 6th generation and the 7th is his Deaf niece from his sister Hedy.

The multi-generational Deaf families were common in the past, became a rarity in the 50's and now they are becoming common again.

Thought Ricky, Lily, Hedi and the rest were 7th generation deaf (I know two are hearing but I assume they'd be considered Deaf anyway.)? I assumed that Billy was 6th generation..? :dizzy:

Mrs. Taylor told me that her family is from North Carolina once (Helen Duncan is her sister) and I think Ridor's dad's family went to VSDB for generations. Correct me if I'm wrong.

I can think of two Deaf families from Staunton. One would be the Nelsons (Paul and Rebecca Nelson) and Mr. Nelson. I forget his first name. They're at least 2 generation Deaf though I must admit I don't know much about the Nelsons.

And then there's the Hughes, I knew Billy Hughes though not well and I have met his sister Kathy Hughes. I don't think they're actually from the Staunton area itself but I'm under the impression they live in the Shenandoah regional area.

If we talk about the same person, Billy H. i think before VA that was in Kansas.

Yes it is, it's because of the history involved with VSDB school. The beautiful heritage attached with VSDB.

My oldest sister is 39 years old... will be 40... I'm having a hard time believing she is heading to 40 years old. I keep thinking she is still in her 20's

It's interesting when I was in my 20's, I felt aged, now I'm nearing my 40's; I feel younger.

You are correct; Ricky's mom is from N.C but his beloved Dad hails from V.A. His paternal side of the family went to VSDB for generations. Ricky has shared his experiences about VSDB and I just love watching him regale those experiences! He is an excellent vlogger!

Thought Ricky, Lily, Hedi and the rest were 7th generation deaf (I know two are hearing but I assume they'd be considered Deaf anyway.)? I assumed that Billy was 6th generation..? :dizzy:

Thank you for correcting me! I keep confusing myself about which generation they are. Ricky does have a deaf brother too- Gary. He goes as Gador. Hedy goes as Hedor. Ricky goes as Ridor. They all carry their patented names with their individual personalities. I really do admire them individually.

If we talk about the same person, Billy H. i think before VA that was in Kansas.

I was thinking the same thing, FF.

I enjoy learning about the history of multi-generational Deaf families as well as multi-generational families in the Deaf community.

It is very fascinating; the diversity, the dynamics and the intricacies of each family member in the multi-generational Deaf family.

This is why I love Life Span Development as I studied psychology and Deaf Culture, Deaf Studies and so on in this program.

Ridor & Gador

[yt]hs7iJi6lrzg[/yt]

Hedor - emphasizing the importance of ASL (her daughter is just so cute- watch how her mouth automatically salivates, laughs and smile when Hedor signs milk. ASL works!)

[yt]AmqUncdJquQ[/yt]

Last edited:

I enjoy learning about the history of multi-generational Deaf families as well as multi-generational families in the Deaf community.

It is very fascinating; the diversity, the dynamics and the intricacies of each family member in the multi-generational Deaf family.

This is why I love Life Span Development as I studied psychology and Deaf Culture, Deaf Studies and so on in this program.

Oh yes. I enjoy learning about the history of mult generational deaf families because that is SO fascinating! Since I didn't have any deaf relatives that i don't see that often. you know?

You are correct; Ricky's mom is from N.C but his beloved Dad hails from V.A. His paternal side of the family went to VSDB for generations. Ricky has shared his experiences about VSDB and I just love watching him regale those experiences! He is an excellent vlogger!

Thank you for correcting me! I keep confusing myself about which generation they are. Ricky does have a deaf brother too- Gary. He goes as Gador. Hedy goes as Hedor. Ricky goes as Ridor. They all carry their patented names with their individual personalities. I really do admire them individually.
I didn't want to name the whole family. I know Gary by sight and I've seen Billy jr and Karen as well. I remember I loaned Gary a book years ago.

Oh yes. I enjoy learning about the history of mult generational deaf families because that is SO fascinating! Since I didn't have any deaf relatives that i don't see that often. you know?

Oh yes, sweet friend. I do understand how you feel; that's why I always had a lot of sleepovers growing up. They were Deaf friends who had hearing families and wanted to experience Deaf families. My parents welcomed the sleepovers; encouraged those sleepovers. My family was a foster family to one of my dear friend who was struggling with her family; communication issues, bonding issues as well as staying home with her family.

We were a foster family to another Deaf friend who just plain rebelled against her parents; she couldn't get along with her strict parents. The Children's Aid Society explained to my parents that they couldn't support my parents financially but could help with medical bills. This really helped a lot; both girls still keep in touch with my family and still consider us sisters.

This is where I do understand how some Deaf people are so envious of the large Deaf family, I do understand and tell them they are welcome to my family. I encourage them to consider my family as theirs as well.

I didn't want to name the whole family. I know Gary by sight and I've seen Billy jr and Karen as well. I remember I loaned Gary a book years ago.

Yes I understand; I just emailed them & linked them to this thread so they could be involved with this as well. :)

I'm fairly certain Ricky once said (about a year or less ago) that he was third generation, maybe 4th. But I could be wrong.

Yes it is, it's because of the history involved with VSDB school. The beautiful heritage attached with VSDB.

It's interesting when I was in my 20's, I felt aged, now I'm nearing my 40's; I feel younger.

Ridor & Gador

[yt]hs7iJi6lrzg[/yt]

Hedor - emphasizing the importance of ASL (her daughter is just so cute- watch how her mouth automatically salivates, laughs and smile when Hedor signs milk. ASL works!)

[yt]AmqUncdJquQ[/yt]

I love watching mothers interact with their babies as well.

So then the Hughes are not from the Staunton area. The Billy H. that I know is blond. Kathy (Cathy?) is blond too. I met her once. I think he had curly hair before he cut it short during his senior year at VSDB but I could be remembering things wrong.

Last edited:
So then the Hughes are not from the Staunton area. The Billy H. that I know is blond. Kathy (Cathy?) is blond too. I met her once. I think he had curly hair before he cut it short during his senior year at VSDB but I could be remembering things wrong.

Ha, He got older therefore his hair is getting thin. :) He still looks good though. He and his wife still lives in that va/dc/md area.

Ha, He got older therefore his hair is getting thin. :) He still looks good though. He and his wife still lives in that va/dc/md area.

And my hair is almost completely gray now. I still have some dark brown hair in the back but I'm sure that I'll be completely gray by the time I'm 45 or 46! :eek:

wow I believe you really I am surprised wow you are cheap

wow I believe you really I am surprised wow you are cheap

Oh yes you bet your $20.00 that I am cheap! I am very tight-fisted with money and I do pick up pennies from the ground.

Want not, waste not and the world is full of starving people. We cannot afford to burn money.

Back