Budgeting on $20.00 - video *ASL heavy*

Well we have four people living in our house here, but one of them can easily eat enough for three! A lot of our grocery bills could be attributed to out of control portions, buying more than you really need and instead of finding something to entertain yourself, you eat more food, thus you feel like you need a lot of food when really you don't.

If everyone ate a normal portion of food for a meal using the modern day "portions" we all could be eating Monday's leftovers for a week.

Well we have four people living in our house here, but one of them can easily eat enough for three! A lot of our grocery bills could be attributed to out of control portions, buying more than you really need and instead of finding something to entertain yourself, you eat more food, thus you feel like you need a lot of food when really you don't.

If everyone ate a normal portion of food for a meal using the modern day "portions" we all could be eating Monday's leftovers for a week.

Everyone metabolizes differently so "normal portions" doesn't means anything. My family eat for 4 people per person in a family of four... and still somehow mom does it with a $200 monthly budget.

Everyone metabolizes differently so "normal portions" doesn't means anything. My family eat for 4 people per person in a family of four... and still somehow mom does it with a $200 monthly budget.

True everyone does metabolize differently but I'm just saying reducing meals down to normal portion sizes instead of everyone eating Hungry-man portions and going back for seconds and thirds as well as snacking, leading to obesity, we could all reduce our grocery bills while also improving our health.

There are some people in this world that could benefit just by cutting out snacks every 30 minutes with a full blown hearty meal every 2 hours.

Just three meals a day and one small snack between lunch and dinner in the afternoon should be plenty.

Great video, very easy to understand and I drooled over the bananas (current addiction of mine) but I think I graced Starbucks about hm (rubs chin) 4 times in my life and that's only because of a social event. For some reason, they all taste alike to me. I love the small town java businesses (rarely a chain store), you can purchase 20 oz blended mochas (with whipped cream and chocolate syrup, mind you) for 3 pops.

Dang it, just typing this post gave me at least 3 different cravings O_O Mrs. Bucket, I urge you to add a "warning" label to the title of your thread ;)

True everyone does metabolize differently but I'm just saying reducing meals down to normal portion sizes instead of everyone eating Hungry-man portions and going back for seconds and thirds as well as snacking, leading to obesity, we could all reduce our grocery bills while also improving our health.

There are some people in this world that could benefit just by cutting out snacks every 30 minutes with a full blown hearty meal every 2 hours.

Just three meals a day and one small snack between lunch and dinner in the afternoon should be plenty.

Guess I can't move in. :( I feel sad now.

You won't like living with me because I have 5 large meals a day with a lots of snacks inbetween... WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!

*goes stand in a corner*

You won't like living with me because I have 5 large meals a day with a lots of snacks inbetween... WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!

*goes stand in a corner*

Sounds great to me, but my budget dictates eating twice a day normally.

(and I am fat anyway) :hmm:

I am trying not to skip meals because I tend to binge when I skip meals so this will help with my health issues. This morning I had a bowl of oatmeal with milk and I had frozen (for one) pizza and I will have spaghetti with pasta and salad tonight. I also find that if I plan my meals and then list the things I need to get at the store which really helped to cut down on my grocery bills.

*goes stand in a corner*

I hate you :P

That's okay. Makes for great angry sex, no?

Kidding, it's not all that fabalous when you keep dropping weight in the danger zone because you don't want to eat constantly.

You're quite the flirt aren't ya? :giggle:

I am the oppoiste of you. I have thyroid disease so losing weight is hard for me because my metbolism is so low. If we were a couple, we'd be the Sprats.

I am trying not to skip meals because I tend to binge when I skip meals so this will help with my health issues. This morning I had a bowl of oatmeal with milk and I had frozen (for one) pizza and I will have spaghetti with pasta and salad tonight. I also find that if I plan my meals and then list the things I need to get at the store which really helped to cut down on my grocery bills.

Another secret to saving money indirectly...

NEVER SHOP ON EMPTY STOMACH!

Eat as much as you can before you go to grocery store. You'll ALWAYS find yourself buying less than what you get if you were on empty stomach. :)

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry9630/4.7.1.40 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/104)

LOL I have to shop on an empty stomach or I would return home with a pack of gum and lip gloss O_O but then again, I DO save $$ hm...

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry9630/4.7.1.40 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/104)

LOL I have to shop on an empty stomach or I would return home with a pack of gum and lip gloss O_O but then again, I DO save $$ hm...

:lol:

I shopped at WF yesterday. :eek3:

I started to notice that Trader Joe's stores in Las Vegas have more food/drinks than TJ stores in NJ. weird. I will go to TJ in LV instead. :aw:

Another secret to saving money indirectly...

NEVER SHOP ON EMPTY STOMACH!

Eat as much as you can before you go to grocery store. You'll ALWAYS find yourself buying less than what you get if you were on empty stomach. :)

Great tip! Yes, hubby and I eat before we shop and I always have snacks in my backpack in case we have the hunger pangs when we shop.

We make our own "GORP" (Good Old Raisins and Peanuts) which is easy to remember and make too! I add cranberries and chocolate chips to my GORP and then pack them in individual baggies.

This tip will help you too as well when it comes to grocery shopping- always shop at the outside square of the stores. The inside square of the stores is just junk. The outside square is vegetables, fruits, dairy products, meat and breads/grains. The inside square consists of unnecessary junk that you don't really need - only laundry detergent and so on.

1. Plan your spending. Avoid impulse buys.

2. Advertised items are not necessarily the cheapest.

3. Watch for unadvertised specials.

4. Remember to ask for a "raincheck" if an item is sold out.

5. To avoid crowds, do not shop after work, on paydays, or just before holidays.

6. Buy items before you run out of them. Buy at clearance, or sale price,
instead of regular price when you must have the item.

7. Know the sales cycle in your area.

8. Just because an item is on sale, doesn't necessarily mean it is a good deal for your family. If you won't use it, don't buy it.

9. Due to volume discounts, larger stores are generally cheaper than smaller ones.

10. Your emotions affect your shopping. Be careful of the "I deserve it" mentality.

11. Buy at the end of the season.

12. Stock up when prices are low.

13. Try alternative shopping: Shop salvage stores, thrift stores, consignment shops,warehouse clubs, yard sales, and garage sales.

14. Remember that no particular store has the lowest price on all items.

15. Create a "shopping pool". Agree with family and friends to shop sales for each other.

16. Shop alone. Other individuals will only help fill your shopping cart.

17. Check the entire store for specials and alternatives.

18. Get to know your favorite store's employees. Don't be afraid to ask questions.

19. Know your prices, keep a price book.

20. About Prices: Compare, Compare, Compare. This is how your price book helps you.

21. Larger is not always cheaper. Smaller is not always cheaper.

22. Look at unit prices.

23. You pay more for fancy packaging. Beware.

24. Remember the "Rule of Three":
If an item has three different ways it can be used, you will not be wasting your money.

25. Never pay full price.

26. Shop defensively.

27. Try store and generic brands.

28. Watch as the clerk rings up your purchases. Check your receipt.

29. Shop for gifts year round.

30. Return purchases that do not meet your expectations.

31. Complain if it is genuinely warranted.

32. Call before you go to confirm item is available.

33. If you must, leave the checkbook and credit cards at home or in the car.

source

Make your gifts year-round.

Recycle your gifts.

Take up food canning, jam preserves, pickling as they save a lot of money & make great gifts!

Ask a friend or two to pool their money with yours to make wine. It is only $20.00 each to make about 30 bottles of wine. It is cost-effective and the experience is rewarding financially.

My tips are in bold and I have bolded other tips to reinforce the importance of frugal shopping.

Today I cut hubby's and my own hair. We invested in a good scissor & electric clipper set which only cost us $20.00 CDN as it was on sale! :)

Hubby loves his crewcut and I love my pixie cut. I look very cute with my pixie cut; yes I can cut my own hair quite easily.

We both actually prefer me doing the haircuts because for one, it is simple to do and for two, communication wise it is hard sometimes when the hairdresser doesn't do exactly what we want.

Hubby and I don't have to tip me! :laugh2:

I admit that I like being a Jill of all trades; it does empower me and it gives me confidence too as well.

Definitely! You want to go local because it is better to have local.

Support your local growers.

I am pretty shocked about the tip #2. I always plan my shopping on the weekly specials.

And I get my hair cut at home too.

Although there's a couple of caveats in there, nice post #56, Mrs Bucket!

Back