Breaking News.. Cnn.com

Can I tell you something, Pek1? Please hush and don't tell me what to do ok? I know what I'm doing. You need to stop being a "bigot" and act like you're always right. Next time, please don't talk to members that way, thank you. Goodbye!

:laugh2: Thank you and goodbye? :bowlol:

good greif... 5 pronouce dead... others missing, and more than 100 injured.

i read the article saying that the bridge itself fell -straight down- saves many lives.. if the bridge didn't fall -straight down- more lives will be lost.. they stated that.

anyway what piss me off.. is soon.. minnesotans will see the gas price go up.. because the governor who long time VETO on any gas tax increase...

now the governor approved to increase its gas tax from 20 cents to 35 cents per gal... a 15 cents increase. and its the first increase since 1988....

and also.. i read that there is more bridge in minnesota have the similar problem and needs to be fixed.. also not just minnesota.. other states too as well.... i hope they take this seriously.. and repair things as soon as possible nationwide... but the problem is.. we are in debt.. and if they decide to repair.. the taxes goes up.. gas prices goes up, etc etc..

Don't blame me, I didn't vote for Governor Tim Pawlenty! Did you and babymakerdad? We need all members of the GOP out of office, can we get some help with that, please?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jclarke View Post
Guys, Guys!! Let's drop it, just get back to topic and you better zip your mouth, Deafilmedia!

PEK said~
I concur! An idiot if there ever was one. Gee whiz, 1080. What is that? Good grief! He's got way too much time on his hands, perhaps he needs more work to do and not bother us on AD.

We need all members of the GOP out of office, can we get some help with that, please?

Suggest you take your own advice PEK and stop trying to turn every thread into your liberal agenda soapbox!!

Please!!

There will be much speculation about the cause of the bridge collapse.
Sadly no amount of information will bring back tose who died there.

Suggest you take your own advice PEK and stop trying to turn every thread into your liberal agenda soapbox!!

Please!!

There will be much speculation about the cause of the bridge collapse.
Sadly no amount of information will bring back tose who died there.

Get a life, damn conservative girl.

I'm 100% liberal, that it. ;)

I read about that last week when I was on my way from New York to Texas.

I stopped by a gas station to get gas and then saw the headlines from a newspaper stack. At first, I thought it was a bridge that I was going to cross and had to go around the long way... but realized it wasn't that. So, I was relieved. Whew!

:eek2: Yesterday, I found out because I was so busy with my work lately. It sure has FREAKING ME OUT :eek::(

I remembered that I was on vacation there back in 1991. Also, In 2002, I was on the trip there 3 days for the workshop. My deaf friend picked me up and drove around and got lost for 4 hrs through that I35W bridge. Next day, we went to biggest Mall of America for 2 days. I loved it! We went across that bridge about 4 times in 2002. There was a white tall building close to the collapsed bridge is where we stayed at the luxury hotel. I can't remembered the name of hotel at that location. It was a wonderful sight to see around Minneapolis when you are standing from the hotel room. I also saw up the above there was a tall black building with the flashing rainbow lights in the nighttime.

Thanks for the link. It is interesting to read though. So they are going to build a new bridge. But how long it would take?! Our was built (replaced a new one) and took 3 years, I think. Finally it is done and traffic went so smooth.

Anyway, it was sad when I heard the news. :( I hope they find missing people ASAP. My mom thinks they washed into the strong current Mississippi River. But she could be wrong, not all do. :dunno:

Your mom is probably right, Lake Tahoe. The Mississippi River is not the kind of river to swim in anywhere.

In the news, they're talking about sometime in 2008 for the new bridge. I suppose all the road salt that had been used for years just deteriorated this bridge, but sheesh! Have it all literally crash in one fall? I used to drive on that bridge, the only one in the state of Minnesota that I actually hated to cross.

Your mom is probably right, Lake Tahoe. The Mississippi River is not the kind of river to swim in anywhere.

In the news, they're talking about sometime in 2008 for the new bridge. I suppose all the road salt that had been used for years just deteriorated this bridge, but sheesh! Have it all literally crash in one fall? I used to drive on that bridge, the only one in the state of Minnesota that I actually hated to cross.
accually you can go swimming on mississippi river at the begin in isatica state park.. thats the place where you can jump over the mississippi river by doing long jump. and thats where you can go swimming :D i been there couple times and love that place.

accually you can go swimming on mississippi river at the begin in isatica state park.. thats the place where you can jump over the mississippi river by doing long jump. and thats where you can go swimming :D i been there couple times and love that place.

I'm aware of that and stand corrected, as I didn't post that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pacman View Post
Get a life, damn conservative girl.

I'm 100% liberal, that it.

Thanks for getting my back on that one!

HAHA! You boyz sure are bright and witty, no fear of you two taking over the world - :)

and Pac - I do not cuss at you I demand and appreciate the same courtesy - I know it is difficult for liberals not to attack and curse at folks as it is an ingrained trait but I hope you are at least a bit conservative in your treatment of folks - eh! can you be?

Now - back to TOPIC..

Has anything else been said about the weight factor on the bridge? Dead weight from repair vehicles and materials? + the moving vehicles.
Have not heard much news today but that was being bantered around this morning.

Most bridges are able to support the weight of an 80,000 lb. semi fully loaded. I don't know what the actual weight would be at any given time, but there is something fishy that would cause a bridge to drop straight down.

Also have to remember that when these bridges were built, in the winter, the State of Minnesota used straight, 100 percent salt to deice the roads. As you know, salt rusts metal and just grinds everything else, so my guess is that years of salt usage and not being cleaned off led to the deterioration of this bridge. There are other bridges and roadways around the country that are in just as tough shape, but, for the grace of God, they haven't crashed . . . yet.

Collapse bridge area have a problem with con artists. It is a real bad. Cops arrest few cons pose as U.S. Coast guard take photographic to closer area where is mark yellow line is past area. Other one arrest con pose as NSTB (sp?). Other one as you see blue van park on middle of collapse bridge that one is for handicapped. He is pissed off where is my wheelchair racer where was inside blue van. That is bad. I hope someone find/tipster to cop or authorized whatever. I learn from news channel said if someone or person walk past yellow line marks then they will arrest person and will be jail and up to 25K fine.

I read on the other forum talked about the I-35W bridge. They posted a article about that bridge and they suspect it's a design flaw of the bridge which caused it to collaspe. The inspectors and invesigators are still trying to find clues on exactly how it collasped, though. They are trying to find out why it didn't collaspe 40 years ago and it did recently. It could be possible from the stress from the construction equipment putting too much load on the bridge and lost strength and collasped under its own weight.

Collapse bridge area have a problem with con artists. It is a real bad. Cops arrest few cons pose as U.S. Coast guard take photographic to closer area where is mark yellow line is past area. Other one arrest con pose as NSTB (sp?). Other one as you see blue van park on middle of collapse bridge that one is for handicapped. He is pissed off where is my wheelchair racer where was inside blue van. That is bad. I hope someone find/tipster to cop or authorized whatever. I learn from news channel said if someone or person walk past yellow line marks then they will arrest person and will be jail and up to 25K fine.

UPDATE: Handicapped wheelchair race that stolen turn out it was not....it is mixing up story. Three Minneapolis cops hear about guy's concern about his wheelchair race is still inside blue van. So three cops grant do will help him then reach blue van and got his wheelchair race then bring to his home. Guy was surprise and happy
to be safe his wheelchair race hand to him. Good News.

I dont know if this has been posted or not but in ALL states bridges of a similar design and make are undergoing strict inspections to see where if anything where they too might collapse.

With the heavy construction equipment having been on this bridge along with traffic and fully loaded semi's, I think the bridge simply had WAY too much weight on it and it collapsed. The construction workers also noted unusual wobbling on the bridge days before the collapse. You would think the site manager would have reported this to the Highway Department of Minnesota and the bridge would have been shut down indefinitely until proper maintenance and repairs could be completed. But then again on a bridge that large, would you notice any unusual wobbling???

We had a small bridge here buckle, but did not fully collapse. The big deal was the fact that it was on a heavily used thoroughfare between here and Dardanelle (not the Dardenelle Bridge). An overloaded dumptruck was last seen going over the bridge before it buckled. Authorities were contacted and the bridge was shut down and traffic diverted for as much as 10-20 miles depending on which way you were going. It was somewhere around 3 months before they got a new bridge put in place. But I feel very safe going over most bridges in the area, its the very narrow ones that I hate the most, I dont like sharing mirrors with semi's very much. :eek:

I dont know if this has been posted or not but in ALL states bridges of a similar design and make are undergoing strict inspections to see where if anything where they too might collapse.

With the heavy construction equipment having been on this bridge along with traffic and fully loaded semi's, I think the bridge simply had WAY too much weight on it and it collapsed. The construction workers also noted unusual wobbling on the bridge days before the collapse. You would think the site manager would have reported this to the Highway Department of Minnesota and the bridge would have been shut down indefinitely until proper maintenance and repairs could be completed. But then again on a bridge that large, would you notice any unusual wobbling???

News on this bridge is changing daily and hourly, so it's hard to tell what's truth and what's not. As for the wheelchair race, there was no source given so that's pretty much ruled as bogus. A wobbly bridge, on the other hand, Dixie, where did you read this?

People, please list your sources when you post stories on this! Otherwise, we get a whole lot of crap here and it takes time, a lot of time, to decifer what is truth and what's not by all of us. We can rest assured, anything from any of the search engines (google, yahoo, etc.) is second hand news and they got their information from elsewhere. Stick to the main ones: CNN.com - Breaking News, U.S., World, Weather, Entertainment & Video News StarTribune.com: Breaking news, multimedia, blogs and more from Minneapolis, St. Paul and around Minnesota TwinCities.com - HOME (these two are from newspapers in the Twin Cities), the first one is national and international news.

Since the Mississippi River is very strong with current going on daily...they should build similar to Golden Gate Bridge? :dunno: My mom thinks the water keep pushing the bridge and make it weaker...I don't know. I may misunderstood her. I hope they able to figure out WHY that bridge collapsed and hurt so many people and few killed. :(

News on this bridge is changing daily and hourly, so it's hard to tell what's truth and what's not. As for the wheelchair race, there was no source given so that's pretty much ruled as bogus.

I learn from news kare11. They talk guy about his van and want get his wheelchair race back. It was where start story about thief but turn out to be it was not which next day watch news same channel kare.11. As you need more carefully as I post update to make clear news.

Back