Bible Versions

Askjo said:
Please explain your reason for using the KJV.
I prefer to use KJV because I believe it is the best English translation of the Scriptures. By "best" I mean it is the most complete, accurate, scholarly, and Holy Spirit directed translation into the English language. Obviously, the original texts in the original languages are THE BEST, but I am not fluent in those languages, so English is the one I use.

Reba said:
I prefer to use KJV because I believe it is the best English translation of the Scriptures. By "best" I mean it is the most complete, accurate, scholarly, and Holy Spirit directed translation into the English language. Obviously, the original texts in the original languages are THE BEST, but I am not fluent in those languages, so English is the one I use.
Amen, Reba! I agree with you :)

Askjo said:
DeafVeggie said:
Did you know that the "Bible" is actually like a library with many books and different authors?
Your question shows that you sound like an unbeliever, are you?

I don't think you understand my point. I'll make it easier for you to read my question: How many different books in the Bible? BTW, I am a believer.

Askjo said:
DeafVeggie said:
All were written by different authors at different times.
Nonsense!

Really? :-o Ok, please answer those two simple questions:
1) Who & when did the author wrote the Book of Genesis?
2) Who & when did the author wrote the Book of Luke?

Askjo said:
DeafVeggie said:
Now, who put those 66 books altogether and complied them into one single Bible? It was from King James, himself, in the 14th Century (late 1300's)
Wrong! 47 translators whom the King James selected.

Really? :-o I don't think you understand my point. I'll make it easier for you to read my comment: King James selected 66 different books into one Bible. Clear?

Askjo said:
DeafVeggie said:
Hence, the biblical version was named after him, aka the KJV. If I put those together by myself, then it will be known as DVJ. :lol: But, Askjo would be :pissed: off!
I am not ****** off. I will not :bowdown: you.

Can't you take a joke? I was only just kidding you, but you sounded very serious! Hey, cool it! :cool:

Askjo said:
DeafVeggie said:
Now, the interesting part is...what books did KJV not included those in the Bible?
What books did the KJV exclude?

Israel scrolls (i.e. papyrus) such as Book of Abraham.

~DV

There are many, many non-biblical texts out there. Thousands of scrolls. Many more yet to be discovered I am sure. No, Many of the books of the bible were not personally written by the various names to whom they are titled. Particularly in the new testiment, many are compiled from letters by associates of the apostles. King James selected no books of the Bible. He granted a comission to selected scholars to translate the bible resulting in the KJV of 1611. (1300's? :ugh2: )

Read the preface written by the translators. It is too long to post here, but explains a lot.
http://www.bible-researcher.com/kjvpref.html

And I will repeat what I have said on every post I have made on this subject. If you wish to read and draw faith from another version of the Bible, do so. Or if you wish to simply believe in Santa Claus as someone mentioned, do so. As for me and my house......

DeafVeggie said:
I don't think you understand my point. I'll make it easier for you to read my question: How many different books in the Bible? BTW, I am a believer.

Really? :-o Ok, please answer those two simple questions:

Really? :-o I don't think you understand my point. I'll make it easier for you to read my comment: King James selected 66 different books into one Bible. Clear?

Can't you take a joke? I was only just kidding you, but you sounded very serious! Hey, cool it! :cool:

Israel scrolls (i.e. papyrus) such as Book of Abraham.

~DV
Go to read Codger's comment. :wave:

Askjo said:
Go to read Codger's comment. :wave:

Askjo, we are not finished yet! Since you said one of my postings was a "nonsense!", would you please answer below two questions?

Codger, you did a good job. :thumb: Askjo (aka 'holier-than-thou") would still need to answer the above questions.

~DV

DeafVeggie said:
Askjo, we are not finished yet! Since you said one of my postings was a "nonsense!", would you please answer below two questions?

Codger, you did a good job. :thumb: Askjo (aka 'holier-than-thou") would still need to answer the above questions.

~DV
I already know your questions. But your quotation was with other sentences together causing confusion.

Askjo said:
I already know your questions. But your quotation was with other sentences together causing confusion.

Then answer the questions if you know them!

Askjo said:

Sigh! Ok, I'll go very easy for you answer one question at a time...

Who & when did the author wrote the Book of Genesis?

Smile.

~DV

DeafVeggie said:
Sigh! Ok, I'll go very easy for you answer one question at a time...

Who & when did the author wrote the Book of Genesis?

Smile.

~DV
Moses in the OT.

DeafVeggie said:
NOOOO! The King James himself did not select them. The KJV contains 66 books.

1."Who & when did the author wrote the Book of Genesis?"

Genesis
Author - Moses
Moses is the human author to the book of Genesis. 2 Kings 14:6 ascribe the book to Moses and Christ quotes passages of the law as from Moses in Matthew 19:8. This is what is called Mosaic authorship. But while Moses wrote the book of Genesis, this does not mean that He himself necessarily wrote every word. Jesus Christ was the author of the Sermon on the Mount, but he did not write it himself. What is meant by Mosaic authorship is that Moses was the fundamental or real author. In compiling it Moses may have used parts of already existing written documents. However under divine inspiration (2 Timothy 3:16; 2 Peter 1:20-21) Moses was lead by God the Holy Spirit to deliver to us 'the book of beginnings'.

Obviously he had to write it during his lifetime before giving it as described in the text.

Genesis
Date Written - c. 1440 B.C.
The date of the Exodus can be arrived at from 1 Kings 6:1 and calculated at around 1446 to 1406 B.C. The Exodus preceded the time when Solomon began to build the temple (966 B.C.) by 480 years.

966 B.C. + 480 B.C. = 1446 B.C.

The date of the writing of the book of Genesis is difficult to determine with any certainty. The date given is only offered to indicate it's relative place in Bible history. This is likely the time when Moses would have written the first five books of the Old Testament.

2."Who & when did the author wrote the Book of Luke?"

Author - Luke
Traditionally the author of this book has been accepted as Luke the beloved physician and friend of Paul. (Colossians 4:14) He was probably the only Gentile author of the New Testament. He wrote both Acts and Luke which is the largest New Testament contribution of writings by any one author. Both Luke and Acts were written to the same person, Theophilus. The language and style of the two books are similar. While Luke is not mentioned as the author, Acts uses the personal pronoun 'we' in several places (Acts 16:10-17; 21:1-18; 27:1-28:16) in conjunction with the apostle Paul and by eliminating the unlikely candidates the most likely person is Luke Paul's friend. (Colossians 4:14)

Luke was not an original eyewitness or disciple of Jesus. He was a professional who researched his information and compiled his document under the inspiration of the Holy Spirit with special interest for the sick. It is thought that Luke was raised in Antioch in Syria but this is only speculation.

Also writen during his lifetime and after the events described in it.

Luke
Date Written - A.D. 63.
There seems to be more compelling evidence to place the date of Luke and Acts in the early 60's. The book of Acts ends with Paul still under house arrest and it would seem likely that if Luke knew of Paul release or death he would have mentioned it at the end of his book. For this reason it would seem appropriate to date his writings around A.D. 63.

A late date of around A.D. 70-80 has been suggested by some but Luke does not mention that the prophecy of the destruction of Jerusalem (Luke 21:20) was fulfilled and this seems to be his practice on other occasions. (Acts 11:28)

A late date does not seem probable. Luke probably wrote his works from Rome and sent to wherever Theophilus was living at the time.

Askjo said:
NOOOO! The King James himself did not select them. The KJV contains 66 books.

Now, you understand me clearly that KJV Bible contains 66 books! :thumb: Pah! :applause:

Ok back to the my original posting that I replied about the Revelation 22:18-19.

The Book of Revelation said not to take out words from this book. Now, which is this book? The answer is only the Book of Revelation, not the other 65 books!

Clear?

~DV

Codger said:
1."Who & when did the author wrote the Book of Genesis?"
Genesis
Author - Moses
Date Written - c. 1440 B.C.

2."Who & when did the author wrote the Book of Luke?"
Author - Luke
Date Written - A.D. 63.

Codger, I wish Askjo could answer those questions by himself! But, I'm glad you answered those for Askjo. I made summary of the key points to your replied postings as indicated above.

Askjo, do you agree what Codger has to say? I will tell you why next after I hear from you first.

Sit tight.

~DV

Askjo said:
DeafVeggie said:
All were written by different authors at different times.
Nonsense!

Askjo, thank you for the response back to agree with Codger.

Now, Codger posted those names of authors and the year:

1) Book of Genesis in OT was written by an author named Moses in the year of 1440 B.C.

2) Book of Luke in NT was written by an auther named Luke in the year of 63 A.D.

Askjo, please explain to me why you did you said, "Nonsense"????????

Next time, please think carefully what you say on AD! And, of course, don't be a smarty a$$ that you know everything!

I forgive you, Askjo. :D

Good night, :bye:

~DV

So then......the authors of the modern versions must be lying when they claim authorship and ownership of God's word? Or are they saying it is their word and not God's? You can see where the question of copyright comes into play in people's delima.

For the record, I have nine different editions of the Bible, a parallel Bible, Strong's Exhaustive Concordance, Cruden's Concordance (over 250 years old) and several from last century few ever heard of.

If you truly want to understand the Bible, you must study it with all your heart, mind and spirit. Not just throw up your hands and say "Bah! It doesn't make sense!" Nor should you depend on a priest's (preacher, pastor, teacher, friend, etc,) reading and interpretation of the Bible. Jesus warned about placing your faith in the officials of the synagog...I.E. organized church.

Back