Bakers refuse to makes wedding cakes for same sex couples

Status
Not open for further replies.
Outside of this case.
Can a person's sexual orientation force and demand a business to make a product for them? Can they demand to make a store make something just for them?

Like if a homosexual couple goes to a religious-owned t-shirt business. If the store specializes in "I love Jesus" shirts, now the gay couple asks them to make a batch of "I love gays" tshirt. Now does the business owner must uphold the law and make that shirt for them even if they don't make that kind of product? Both his religion and his inventory would hold back the production.

Or let's say a gay person went to a Nevada brothel and demands a gay stripper when they only have female strippers.

I wonder, there seems to be some big questions if the interpretation of the law will allow people to make moves like that. It sure does make the business owner feel violated of their own rights, though.

Wirelessly posted

TXgolfer said:
To add, Every "baker" that I have known that sells wedding cakes does much more than just bake a cake. They usually attend the wedding and provide plates/utensils and assist with the cake cutting ceremony.

I would hate to think that we have lost so much freedom in this country that a person can't even operate their own business within their morals set.

That was my thought. Crying screaming kids in a resturant... Who has the rights? The screaming child or the the customers that wants to eat in peace? It has been so muddled that everyone has rights, but where does it stop when one right imposes the other? Who has more rights?

Outside of this case.
Can a person's sexual orientation force and demand a business to make a product for them? Can they demand to make a store make something just for them?

Like if a homosexual couple goes to a religious-owned t-shirt business. If the store specializes in "I love Jesus" shirts, now the gay couple asks them to make a batch of "I love gays" tshirt. Now does the business owner must uphold the law and make that shirt for them even if they don't make that kind of product? Both his religion and his inventory would hold back the production.

Or let's say a gay person went to a Nevada brothel and demands a gay stripper when they only have female strippers.

I wonder, there seems to be some big questions if the interpretation of the law will allow people to make moves like that. It sure does make the business owner feel violated of their own rights, though.
Darn tootin!...and well said.

No, I don't think so because law doesn't mention about employment so it can be broader to include the customers. You see that why state department of justice is investigating in those case and it is up to judge.

Deny to serve the gay customers are just similar to deny the serve to black customers, so both are illegal.

Also, I'm still researching.
keep researching. you will find that you are wrong. you will not find a law that doesn't support what you're claiming.

Apple to orange.

The businesses couldn't deny to customers, based on race, gender, religion, sex orientation, disabilities, etc.

Only religious organizations are exempted from above.
it's a perfectly valid comparison. you are clearly misunderstanding the discrimination law. the business CAN deny service to whoever they want - REGARDLESS of reason but they must abide by ADA laws such as handicap parking, nothing more... nothing less.

even though I don't agree with this baker's view... but I fully support his case. remember a waiter in Texas who told the customer that he was refusing to provide service because the customer was making fun of other family's child with down syndrome? there you go.

After research with law, the Oregon anti-discrmination does cover the public accommodation, so the businesses can't deny to GLBT customers, so just like to race, gender, disabilities, etc.

From article from OP.

The business owner could tell them that they don't have supplies (same sex status on top of cake), so they could make cake for them and let same sex couples to add the status, so that's not hard and better than have deal with court.
nope. you misunderstood the Oregon's law.

if it was perfectly clear, then why further investigation is needed? very simple - the baker was within his legal rights to refuse service to them.

Apple to orange.

Like I said above, the business owner needs to make wedding cake and tell to same sex couples that they don't have supplies, such as same sex status on top of cake, so it is up to same sex couple to take it. That's logical reason and the business owner doesn't have to deal with legal issue, such as the court.
there's absolutely no legal issue in here. and I don't think it would be in baker's best interest to lie to customers. dishonesty is actually quite damaging to business owners.

Who knows about case will goes to court or not. :dunno:
we all know. Oregon knows. my crystal ball says there will be no case. none.

Well, gay people have been suffered from discrimination, government mistreatment, torture, imprisoned and disowned by families for many years.

That why I have no respect to bakers whoever not want to serve to gay couples, so it is waking of reverse mistreatment against bakers.

Outside of this case.

A store not selling left-hand scissors...

RAAAAACCCCCCIIIIIISSSSSSTTTTTTTTTTT! :mad2:

Outside of this case.

I agree. What about, say, A Jewish pereson going into McDonald's and demanding a Kosher version of the McRib?

Well, gay people have been suffered from discrimination, government mistreatment, torture, imprisoned and disowned by families for many years.

That why I have no respect to bakers whoever not want to serve to gay couples, so it is waking of reverse mistreatment against bakers.

that's fine. gay customers are free not to shop there.

keep researching. you will find that you are wrong. you will not find a law that doesn't support what you're claiming.

it's a perfectly valid comparison. you are clearly misunderstanding the discrimination law. the business CAN deny service to whoever they want - REGARDLESS of reason but they must abide by ADA laws such as handicap parking, nothing more... nothing less.

even though I don't agree with this baker's view... but I fully support his case. remember a waiter in Texas who told the customer that he was refusing to provide service because the customer was making fun of other family's child with down syndrome? there you go.

nope. you misunderstood the Oregon's law.

if it was perfectly clear, then why further investigation is needed? very simple - the baker was within his legal rights to refuse service to them.

there's absolutely no legal issue in here. and I don't think it would be in baker's best interest to lie to customers. dishonesty is actually quite damaging to business owners.

we all know. Oregon knows. my crystal ball says there will be no case. none.

No, I don't see rest of my statement is wrong and the Oregon law included the public accomendation, so lesbian couples cannot be denied, so same with black people, deaf people, woman and other classes that defined by law.

Your claim about refuse the service over make fun of child with special needs in Texas, is apple to orange, so same sex couple isn't in same situation.

I don't find any of my posts are misunderstood, so I'm just disagree with you and other member's view about between baker and the law. I only accept the fact is the court to rule it.

The state hasn't finish the investigation yet and it is up to GLBT organization, or lesbian couple to sue in the court, so I don't believe in crystal ball, so anything is possible.

even though I don't agree with this baker's view... but I fully support his case. remember a waiter in Texas who told the customer that he was refusing to provide service because the customer was making fun of other family's child with down syndrome? there you go

I pretty much disagree with the baker as well and it is certainly bad business. But it is refreshing to see someone stand by their principles today and not sell out.

that's fine. gay customers are free not to shop there.

There are state laws that gay customers cannot be denied from service, depending on factors.

No, I don't see rest of my statement is wrong and the Oregon law included the public accomendation, so lesbian couples cannot be denied, so same with black people, deaf people, woman and other classes that defined by law.

Your claim about refuse the service over make fun of child with special needs in Texas, is apple to orange, so same sex couple isn't in same situation.

I don't find any of my posts are misunderstood, so I'm just disagree with you and other member's view about between baker and the law. I only accept the fact is the court to rule it.

The state hasn't finish the investigation yet and it is up to GLBT organization, or lesbian couple to sue in the court, so I don't believe in crystal ball, so anything is possible.

again... you misunderstood the law and the logic of it. I guess we'll have to sit and wait for you to read the final outcome of this unfortunate situation so that you'll understand what we're trying to tell you.

There are state laws that gay customers cannot be denied from service, depending on factors.

nope. no such thing.

if there was, it would be struck down as unconstitutional.

again... you misunderstood the law and the logic of it. I guess we'll have to sit and wait for you to read the final outcome of this unfortunate situation so that you'll understand what we're trying to tell you.

I don't see my post as misunderstood and I'm just disagree with you.

The judge will have final answer to clear the law.

why do you use 'depending on factors'? to look smart? but really what factors? its clear you dont understand... a Deaf Association isnt going to sue a business who doesnt want to employ a deaf man, it is up to the deaf man to do it. then again, the other reality, you have to realise is, 'Money talks bullshit walks' bad as it is, if you have no money to use to sue, then you're fucked...and everyone knows that

Bakery does best business of year after refusing to make gay couple's wedding cake - Koinlocal6.com
GRESHAM, Ore. -- A Gresham bakery that's under investigation for declining to make a cake for a same-sex wedding now has a hot bed of activity, both at its shop and online.

People on both sides are speaking out after a bakery owner refuses to make a wedding cake for a gay couple.

On Saturday supporters at times crowded into Sweet Cakes by Melissa -- nearly buying it out of baked goods. (Note that the bakery is closed on Sunday). Customers came from as far away as Tacoma.

Co-owner Aaron Klein tells KOIN that the bakery is having the best business it has had this year. And, he says, he's not refusing service to gays; he says he's just opposed to the institution of gay marriage.

I agree. What about, say, A Jewish pereson going into McDonald's and demanding a Kosher version of the McRib?

They will not denied because McDonald's doesn't have supply to meet the customer's need and they don't carry all menu from A to Z.

The situation about baker - he haven't mention about supply as reason so he could offer a clean wedding cake to gay couple and the gay couple has to modify it.

They will not denied because McDonald's doesn't have supply to meet the customer's need and they don't carry all menu from A to Z.

The situation about baker - he haven't mention about supply as reason so he could offer a clean wedding cake to gay couple and the gay couple has to modify it.

or... how about this - go to another bakery who would be happy to make a wedding cake for them?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back