Bakers refuse to makes wedding cakes for same sex couples

Status
Not open for further replies.
It happens....everywhere!...And if a business didn't want my business, I'd simply take it somewhere else. I've gone into a black establishment here in Jax...(after hearing their Chicken was really good!)...got into line and I was the only white customer in there....3 clerks were at the counter....and when it came my time to order...I was "ignored" and they kept asking the people behind me for their order.....And when I finally was able to order...I was told they were "out" of chicken....that's when I knew they didn't want my business.

Should I take them to Court?...Nah!...that's the way they want to run their business.

It happens....everywhere!...And if a business didn't want my business, I'd simply take it somewhere else. I've gone into a black establishment here in Jax...(after hearing their Chicken was really good!)...got into line and I was the only white customer in there....3 clerks were at the counter....and when it came my time to order...I was "ignored" and they kept asking the people behind me for their order.....And when I finally was able to order...I was told they were "out" of chicken....that's when I knew they didn't want my business.

Should I take them to Court?...Nah!...that's the way they want to run their business.

It is up to YOU to sue or not.

They can't deny to do business with you because you are white - that's illegal under civil rights law, so you can file the complaint with state/federal or sue in the court.

For disabilities - the ADA cover that.

After research with law, the Oregon anti-discrmination does cover the public accommodation, so the businesses can't deny to GLBT customers, so just like to race, gender, disabilities, etc.

From article from OP.
But beliefs aren’t enough to cover him under state law. The Oregon Equality Act of 2007 prohibits discrimination against people based on their sexual orientation and gender identity. The statute includes public accommodations, such as businesses.

The business owner could tell them that they don't have supplies (same sex status on top of cake), so they could make cake for them and let same sex couples to add the status, so that's not hard and better than have deal with court.

Apple to orange.

The businesses couldn't deny to customers, based on race, gender, religion, sex orientation, disabilities, etc.

Only religious organizations are exempted from above.

Ridiculous. Besides, in this case the constitution trumps State law.

Ridiculous. Besides, in this case the constitution trumps State law.

Not really, the constitution doesn't give you everything, so based on your logic, the civil rights law and ADA will be unconstitutional.

After research with law, the Oregon anti-discrmination does cover the public accommodation, so the businesses can't deny to GLBT customers, so just like to race, gender, disabilities, etc.

From article from OP.

Ah, here is your mistake. He didn't deny GLBT customers.....One of them had bought cakes there before.

He declined to make a specific item. A Gay wedding cake. He can't be ordered to provide a specific service. You can't go to McDonald's and demand pizza.

Not really, the constitution doesn't give you everything, so based on your logic, the civil rights law and ADA will be unconstitutional.

The constitution would trump those as well, if there were a proper application.

Ah, here is your mistake. He didn't deny GLBT customers.....One of them had bought cakes there before.

He declined to make a specific item. A Gay wedding cake. He can't be ordered to provide a specific service. You can't go to McDonald's and demand pizza.

No, the business owner denied the business to lesbian couples, so the article already clear state about reason why business owner denied them because of sex orientation.

The state department of justice already involved with investigation.

The constitution would trump those as well, if there were a proper application.

No, the US Supreme Court hasn't rule that ADA and civil rights as unconstitutional, so the constitution isn't always general to all of people.

No, the business owner denied the business to lesbian couples, so the article already clear state about reason why business owner denied them because of sex orientation.

The state department of justice already involved with investigation.

Incorrect. He refused to make a specific item.

The woman, who said she'd been served by the owner before without issue, claims Klein refused to take an order from her partner when he learned the cake was for a gay marriage

'I apologized for wasting their time and said we don't do same-sex marriages,' he told KATU.

No, the US Supreme Court hasn't rule that ADA and civil rights as unconstitutional, so the constitution isn't always general to all of people.

I didnt say that they have. But as a matter of law, the constitution trumps all other laws.

Incorrect. He refused to make a specific item.

No, he refused to do business with lesbian couple based on sex orientation, so that's part of discrimination under state law.

I didnt say that they have. But as a matter of law, the constitution trumps all other laws.

Obvious - but the state law that banned the discrimination, isn't unconstitutional.

I'm focus on anti-discrmination laws, not question about constitutional of law.

No, he refused to do business with lesbian couple based on sex orientation, so that's part of discrimination under state law.

The quotes are clear. You are either misunderstanding them or choosing to ignore them. He refused to make a specific cake to people he had sold to before. simple. Moving on.

Obvious - but the state law that banned the discrimination, isn't unconstitutional.

I'm focus on anti-discrmination laws, not question about constitutional of law.

Never said it was. However the storeowner's right to free exercise would trump this law. But that isnt even a question. The quesrion is whether or not a business can be required to sell a specific item. The answer is obviously "no"

The quotes are clear. You are either misunderstanding them or choosing to ignore them. He refused to make a specific cake to people he had sold to before. simple. Moving on.

No, I'm not misunderstood or ignore, so it is very clearly that business owner discriminated the lesbian couple because of sex orientation, so that illegal under state law.

The quote from OP's article.
“I apologized for wasting their time and said we don’t do same-sex marriages,” he said. I “honestly did not mean to hurt anybody, didn’t mean to make anybody upset, (it’s) just something I believe in very strongly.”

Moving on? Feel free to ignore my post and I'm free to discuss about between gay couples and the businesses, also you quoted my post at first place.

Never said it was. However the storeowner's right to free exercise would trump this law. But that isnt even a question. The quesrion is whether or not a business can be required to sell a specific item. The answer is obviously "no"

He can't deny to customers based on race, gender, disabilities, sex orientation, so that's not unconstitutional.

I am sure the couple will find another bakery that will be happy to take their money.

No, I'm not misunderstood or ignore, so it is very clearly that business owner discriminated the lesbian couple because of sex orientation, so that illegal under state law.

The quote from OP's article.

Moving on? Feel free to ignore my post and I'm free to discuss about between gay couples and the businesses, also you quoted my post at first place.

Exactly...

“I apologized for wasting their time and said we don’t do same-sex marriages,” he said.

Just like McDonald's doesn't sell pizza. They sell food, but not that kind of food.

When I was in business we installed insulation. But I only installed the white,yellow and pink types of insulation. I never installed the green. Same thing, this man does not sell Gay Wedding cakes. Simple.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back