BAD NEWS: DVD Player = NO (CC) Support!

You said it yourself...

For the Harry Potter movie, you listed two different English subtitle options. The first is "English" which is NORMAL subtitles. The second is "English SDH" which is like subtitled in CC style. So, if a deaf person wanted to watch the movie in subtitled format for deaf people... he would pick the second option.

For 10,000 B.C., you listed no SDH. Well, that happens on some DVDs. Some DVDs have SDH and some don't.

So, if you see a DVD case that says it's SDH... then that means it's like CC.

See what I try get to point about some movie only support (CC) and most 2008 DVD player not support (CC) anymore then we are out of luck unless we fight for our right and create a new law so we get our freedom back!

im one of these people who doesnt have CC accessible with newer tv.. I still have old tv and use old dvd/vcr box that we need to put dvd on it when my built in dvd/vcr in tv doesnt work with cc these menu would not even work for cc to show up etc.. i have to go to livingroom and use it... most of time I work allday and allnight yes I work two jobs now to support my family and to feed them as well! so these tv i dont even bother to catch up anymore just like these technologies stuffs comes out for dsl/high speed i guess I would just stick with old fashion way....

as what my husband always say to me that he is NOT a modern person to deal with because He gets so confused I am starting to sound like him !

:roll:

See what I try get to point about some movie only support (CC) and most 2008 DVD player not support (CC) anymore then we are out of luck unless we fight for our right and create a new law so we get our freedom back!
Yeah.

My parents had that problem with their television. When they tried playing DVDs on their HD television, they couldn't get the captioning to work. However, if they ran their DVD player through their VCR... it worked. ;)

Hi All

Please not Negative me, I not want talk about SDH or Subtitle but Duskywolf said "BAD NEWS: DVD Player = NO (CC) Support!"
becuase I am usher's Syndrome (Low-vision) and many have low-vision, legally-blind, wrose eyes, cannot read SDH or Subtitle, They can read Black Solid background. Please Positive about CC and Digital CC, Help me

you understand
Thank you much

Hi All

Please not Negative me, I not want talk about SDH or Subtitle but Duskywolf said "BAD NEWS: DVD Player = NO (CC) Support!"
becuase I am usher's Syndrome (Low-vision) and many have low-vision, legally-blind, wrose eyes, cannot read SDH or Subtitle, They can read Black Solid background. Please Positive about CC and Digital CC, Help me

you understand
Thank you much
Oh, sorry. I didn't know it had anything to do with your vision problems.

My apologies. :thumb:

Not true, there's always very few DVD player has CC decoder built-in for very long time.

Look everyone, all you hear thousand excuse from engineer or tech support about the cost and problem. I tell you 1,000 times that they think we are less important to them so SDH is cheaper way and that is correct. Now I notice most of you are very passive and they will win over you. All of company make million dollars every year. They do not care about you only money profit. Unless there is a law they will follow and stuck with it. Now I tell you again, TV have (CC) decode build in already follow by law. DVD Player and HDMI not support it, do you know why? Because there no law against it unless we fight it or create new law. That's it.

Now Think, if there no law about required (CC) decode build in TV and you will be out of order...........

That's why we thank you to deaf people in past did fight for our right and create law. Now I tell you that our law have some hole in it and need to fill up the hole.

We need do something about this.....

Thank you.

That's not joke, it's true about put CC into HDTV is complicated because CC use 21th line that based on interlaced, HDMI is digital use based on progressive, no way to get CC to worked except for need software to add on outlay on screen instead of work on inerlaced. You need check Banjo's blog about how complicated is CC in new technology. All DVD movies that captioned is analog, it wouldn't work on digital CC because digital CC is limited to OTA shows since output to DVD player isn't supported, it has nothing with your rights.

We do have law that require all tv are 13" or over to have CC decoder built-in in after July 1993, DVD player could get CC from output on TV without any additional hardware, same with VHS too.

Most HD receivers from cable and satellite companies are offers CC decoder built-in to receive CC from receiver instead of directly to HDTV because output to receiver via HDTV is very complicated, only using CC via directly to HDTV will work for OTA shows and certain of output, such as watch DVD movie in analog since analog is backward.

All HDTV have analog and digital CC included.

Hi All

you understand
Thank you much

There's nothing as we could help, you are deserved to have hard life like each other.

Not true about HDMI or Component because they didn't think about us. They keep forgot about us and think about perfect people want top quality video, sound. The (CC) and subtitle are less priorities to them because we are less important. I am sure they can figure out to fix this unless we fight for our right and make new law. People can make any excuse for the problem. Did you know that HDMI was fix twice through version 1.1 to 1.3 because of bit problem in history.

Be honest with you, if there no law about required (CC) for TV then they will not put (CC) in it. We thank to the law in FCC to required them put the (CC) decode inside. Now I tell you that there no law against for them remove line 21 on DVD player, HDMI and future device until we fight or create the law to make them do it.

*sigh*
You can't fight to turn law. They're try to work on it. I have know several people who are deaf or not, complain to the manufacturing. They do respond and try to improve on either firmware and cable. It's STILL EARLY stage.

Why... look at CC in old day when it was first introduce and there wasn't much available until many years later, we finally see more and more. Yet, it's not completed 100% CC we see on every channel.

So, I'm saying, whatever there is new technology, it take time. You cannot be bitching like that. Right now, we're, highly like, happy with current.

So... be PATIENT!

The CC is based on analog signal and cannot be passed thur the HDMI or Compoment. The new digital CC is called DTVCC and it only can be recieved by air broastcast not by HDMI or Compoment because it was never set to pass analog CC or DTVCC so the HDTV manafacture never programmed HDTV to watch for CC signal via HDMI or Compoment but some HDTV will if it set to i480 resolution.

That why cable box or Sat Box like Direct TV etc or HD STB have to decode old analog CC or new DTVCC and hardcode it onto the digital video before sending it thur HDMI or Compoment.

Upconvert DVD player does not include CC into it digital output because there no HDTV that support CC or DTVCC via HDMI or Compoment but there a few HDTV that support CC via Compoment only at i480 and upcovert DVD player are for 720p or higher.

It not the Upconvert DVD or HDTV manfacture fault it is whoever set the HDMI standard rule fault for not including CC support in it so we would need to make HDMI aware we need CC and DTVCC support in the next HDMI 3

So we have to find a upcovert DVD player that can take analog CC and decode it to hardcode it into the digital video before sending it via HDMI or Compoment. I have not yet seen a Upconvert DVD player with CC decoder built in but I have heard of a few that does have it.

I use SageTV running on XP which already decodes the CC for me before sending it to my TV using Direct TV sat box. I also play DVD or downloadable movies on it too.

Yeah it stinks that we got left behind on digital world but it seem who set the HDMI standard thought that CC reponisble lies with DVD player or STB or Cable box not the TV itself so we have to covert all analog or display digital CC before sending it to HDMI to the HDTV.

You don't get it....

Some movie do not have subtitle and only have (CC) then what you do now?

I agreed with you. I have Toshiba HD-DVD player, only for DVD movies
without closed-captions through the HDMI video.
However, I using composite video have CC through this DVD player.

I agreed with you. I have Toshiba HD-DVD player, only for DVD movies
without closed-captions through the HDMI video.
However, I using composite video have CC through this DVD player.

lol, HD-DVD already died.

The CC is based on analog signal and cannot be passed thur the HDMI or Compoment. The new digital CC is called DTVCC and it only can be recieved by air broastcast not by HDMI or Compoment because it was never set to pass analog CC or DTVCC so the HDTV manafacture never programmed HDTV to watch for CC signal via HDMI or Compoment but some HDTV will if it set to i480 resolution.

That why cable box or Sat Box like Direct TV etc or HD STB have to decode old analog CC or new DTVCC and hardcode it onto the digital video before sending it thur HDMI or Compoment.

Upconvert DVD player does not include CC into it digital output because there no HDTV that support CC or DTVCC via HDMI or Compoment but there a few HDTV that support CC via Compoment only at i480 and upcovert DVD player are for 720p or higher.

It not the Upconvert DVD or HDTV manfacture fault it is whoever set the HDMI standard rule fault for not including CC support in it so we would need to make HDMI aware we need CC and DTVCC support in the next HDMI 3

So we have to find a upcovert DVD player that can take analog CC and decode it to hardcode it into the digital video before sending it via HDMI or Compoment. I have not yet seen a Upconvert DVD player with CC decoder built in but I have heard of a few that does have it.

I use SageTV running on XP which already decodes the CC for me before sending it to my TV using Direct TV sat box. I also play DVD or downloadable movies on it too.

Yeah it stinks that we got left behind on digital world but it seem who set the HDMI standard thought that CC reponisble lies with DVD player or STB or Cable box not the TV itself so we have to covert all analog or display digital CC before sending it to HDMI to the HDTV.

Yes, I just figure out few days and that's sucks.

Do you really believe what guide said? Guide is about dvd player. Why should explain about tv for enable CC? OFC. Guide is not clear but use your brain.

YES IT'S DONE BUILT-IN CC. DON'T MATTER IF I OWN OR NOT.

I just take screenshot from guide about dvd player and look yourself
picture2rg4.png

I have those model recently and the DVD player menu which have (CC) feature that you can turn on/off for the signal to transmit to TV and that's it. It's not (CC) decode. Thank you

How? Would you advice me to do something for future?

Back