Baby born deaf will get 'bionic ears' that could help him hear and talk

Grammar maven here: You've got that one backwards. "I couldn't care less" means you are at the absolute bottom limit of caring. It would not be possible to care any less.

"I could care less" means the reverse. Literally it means it would be possible to care less. You are not at the bottom limit.

In actual usage people say both to mean the same thing, and everyone understands the point. However, "I couldn't care less" is the correct version. It is a single negative, not a double negative.

Edited to add: TXGolfer slipped in with the same point. :wave: Hey there, fellow grammar maven!

:wave: goodbye! (which is of course the opposite of what I mean but I am going to try to make goodbye like aloha)

You could take lessons from Groucho Marx:

Hello, I must be going.
I cannot stay,
I came to say
I must be going.
I'm glad I came
but just the same
I must be going.

For my sake you must stay,
for if you go away,
you'll spoil this party
I am throwing.
I'll stay a week or two,
I'll stay the summer through,
but I am telling you,
I must be going.

:wave:

(Apologies for diversion from thread.)

Nice!

You could take lessons from Groucho Marx:

Hello, I must be going.
I cannot stay,
I came to say
I must be going.
I'm glad I came
but just the same
I must be going.

For my sake you must stay,
for if you go away,
you'll spoil this party
I am throwing.
I'll stay a week or two,
I'll stay the summer through,
but I am telling you,
I must be going.

:wave:

(Apologies for diversion from thread.)

I'm a big proponent of deaf ed tailored to a student's needs, and integration with other deaf peers and role models -- wherever possible. And even with my bias towards and choice of a school for the deaf for my child, I have seen several mainstream environments today that can meet the needs of deaf individuals as well or better than many other deaf schools.
On the other hand, are we talking about students who mainstreamed after spending a few years in a Deaf School/program? Those kids tend to do best mainstreamed. As a matter of fact post 1975, a lot of kids who transferred from deaf and blind schools did REALLY well in the mainstream. That is b/c they'd had a solid foundation of teaching and training in deaf and blind skills.
Unfortunatly now a days deaf or blind kids usually don't have that advantage.
Also, are we talking about mainstreaming in Framingham? Hearing/mainstream schools that are VERY experianced in teaching dhh/blind/low vision students, tend not to lump them in with sped kids who have behavorial issues or educational defeinceies due to mental or processing issues.

On the other hand, are we talking about students who mainstreamed after spending a few years in a Deaf School/program? Those kids tend to do best mainstreamed. As a matter of fact post 1975, a lot of kids who transferred from deaf and blind schools did REALLY well in the mainstream. That is b/c they'd had a solid foundation of teaching and training in deaf and blind skills.
Unfortunatly now a days deaf or blind kids usually don't have that advantage.
Also, are we talking about mainstreaming in Framingham? Hearing/mainstream schools that are VERY experianced in teaching dhh/blind/low vision students, tend not to lump them in with sped kids who have behavorial issues or educational defeinceies due to mental or processing issues.

True, that. A lot of how well a student handles the mainstream depends of whether they have had good EI services, preschool, and elelmentary services from Deaf Ed institutiions. It also depends very much on the area. All mainstream schools are not created equal. I know many I wouldn't put a hearing kid in, much less a kid that needed any form of accomodation.

A lot of how well a student handles the mainstream depends of whether they have had good EI services, preschool, and elelmentary services from Deaf Ed institutiions. It also depends very much on the area. All mainstream schools are not created equal. I know many I wouldn't put a hearing kid in, much less a kid that needed any form of accomodation.
jillo, I see we're on the same page here! I'm ALL for mainstreaming IF the kid has a good solid foundation for it, and has a lot of "deaf skills" . Idealisticly I think that kids need to test into the mainstream, rather then kneejerklying being placed in the mainstream, the way I was and the way a lot of other dhh kids were in the 80's and 90's.
It really is hard b/c even with the oral preschools and TC programs, a lot of kids are still put into Headstart/General Early Intervention type of programs.
And yes, you are SO dead on about mainstream schools not being equal. It depends SO much on SO many things. It so irrirtates the crap out of me when some oral TOD with oxfords and a conservative skirt, or a parent of an oral sucess starts yapping that the mainstream is always the best, or that all state deaf schools should be shut down. It really seems like pro mainstreamers think that ALL schools are well equipted suburban schools with lots and lots of resources etc.
Not to mention the fact that a lot of times dhh kids get lumped in with the sped kids....their needs are completely different!

jillo, I see we're on the same page here! I'm ALL for mainstreaming IF the kid has a good solid foundation for it, and has a lot of "deaf skills" . Idealisticly I think that kids need to test into the mainstream, rather then kneejerklying being placed in the mainstream, the way I was and the way a lot of other dhh kids were in the 80's and 90's.
It really is hard b/c even with the oral preschools and TC programs, a lot of kids are still put into Headstart/General Early Intervention type of programs.
And yes, you are SO dead on about mainstream schools not being equal. It depends SO much on SO many things. It so irrirtates the crap out of me when some oral TOD with oxfords and a conservative skirt, or a parent of an oral sucess starts yapping that the mainstream is always the best, or that all state deaf schools should be shut down. It really seems like pro mainstreamers think that ALL schools are well equipted suburban schools with lots and lots of resources etc.
Not to mention the fact that a lot of times dhh kids get lumped in with the sped kids....their needs are completely different!

I remember one parent from DeafRead who had two daughters with CIs (very well know too) who believe that all Deaf schools should shut down. Boy, did I ever get into ugly arguments with her. I cannnot stand that woman. Yep...one daughter is 18 or 19 and the other is like 16. that mother made me sick to my stomach with her views.

We're on the same page more often than not when it comes to deaf ed.:P

I remember one parent from DeafRead who had two daughters with CIs (very well know too) who believe that all Deaf schools should shut down. Boy, did I ever get into ugly arguments with her. I cannnot stand that woman. Yep...one daughter is 18 or 19 and the other is like 16. that mother made me sick to my stomach with her views.

OMG, I remmy that one! :ugh:

I don't think I'd want to know her. :iough:

Oh, unfortunately we got into it in the worst way several times too! I think her daughters are doing great, but she's really not open-minded about different approaches to language and learning for deaf kids at all.

Oh, unfortunately we got into it in the worst way several times too! I think her daughters are doing great, but she's really not open-minded about different approaches to language and learning for deaf kids at all.

There will always be exceptions. It is frustrating when parents don't seem to realize that just because their child did exceptionally well doesn't mean that all will be able to achieve that, even given the same set of circumstances.

Hahahahahahaha......jillo and shel you guys are the reason I love alldeaf.....there are people here who GET IT!
Was the mom of those girls one of THOSE moms? Sounds like one of those mothers who has totally and completely gone auditory verbal hardcore.
Like one of those parents who think that Deaf Schools are some glorious voice off utopia, and that her kids will reap all the rewards of the hearing world. I'm sorry but just b/c a kid can "hear" and speak decently, it does not mean that they'll be able to reap the rewards of the hearing world. It's exactly like how inclusion is a good idea in theroy but very rarely works out well in practice....or the way a Borouaia (sp)/ Purteo Rican can speak English very well, but they will still contend with racism and Tea Partiers.

In having that added communication skill (speaking and/or listening) can certainly give deaf/hh people an edge, even a huge advantage in the hearing world. That's a given.

Callums Mum

Callums mom you sound frustrated- try not to let them get to you- I have gotten some flack over my choice to have my son implanted with CI also- he was 10 months old when we got his implants. He is doing wonderfully. The surgery was scary. If you want other CI moms to talk to check out some of the CI company websites, they often have Cochlear Community areas where you can talk to other parents who have made the very difficult choice to have their children get cochlear implants.

Hahahahahahaha......jillo and shel you guys are the reason I love alldeaf.....there are people here who GET IT!
Was the mom of those girls one of THOSE moms? Sounds like one of those mothers who has totally and completely gone auditory verbal hardcore.
Like one of those parents who think that Deaf Schools are some glorious voice off utopia, and that her kids will reap all the rewards of the hearing world. I'm sorry but just b/c a kid can "hear" and speak decently, it does not mean that they'll be able to reap the rewards of the hearing world. It's exactly like how inclusion is a good idea in theroy but very rarely works out well in practice....or the way a Borouaia (sp)/ Purteo Rican can speak English very well, but they will still contend with racism and Tea Partiers.

Yep. You nailed the attitude.

In having that added communication skill (speaking and/or listening) can certainly give deaf/hh people an edge, even a huge advantage in the hearing world. That's a given.

An edge? An advantage? Over whom?

I think I know who you are referring to.

Back