Baby born deaf will get 'bionic ears' that could help him hear and talk

A matter of perspective here but there are in fact disadvantages and advantages as I have said before. In this case, communication skills, if you have them, involving speaking and/or listening is an advantage to have. Tons of disadvantages for me? You have it backward. And, yes, there are some disadvantages but "tons of them" is not it.

I have no problem with those who are happy with ASL. Good for them.
Ok, I'm sorry to learn about your disadvantages. You have my support.

Ok, I'm sorry to learn about your disadvantages. You have my support.
Why sorry? Like I said, there are disadvantages and advantages when it comes to communication skills involving speaking and/or listening. The fact remains, there are certainly advantages.

Why sorry? Like I said, there are disadvantages and advantages when it comes to communication skills involving speaking and/or listening. The fact remains, there are certainly advantages.
Why I'm sorry, uhm. Perhaps it's a natural reaction when an individual state that they have to live with some disadvantages?

Why I'm sorry, uhm. Perhaps it's a natural reaction when an individual state that they have to live with some disadvantages?

You mean like shouting from a long distance away would be a disadvantage when visual communication would be easier to convey?

Or during a SWAT police maneuver in taking over an occupied house, hand signals and body motion would be far more advantageous than talking giving their position away?

You mean like shouting from a long distance away would be a disadvantage when visual communication would be easier to convey?
Whatever matters so much that you have to declare on a public forum that it's an disadvantage for you. Or are you saying it does not matter much at all and you just mentions this for fun?

Or during a SWAT police maneuver in taking over an occupied house, hand signals and body motion would be far more advantageous than talking giving their position away?
Ugh.. I feel for ya. Hang in there, don't give up, we care about you.

Whatever matters so much that you have to declare on a public forum that it's an disadvantage for you. Or are you saying it does not matter much at all and you just mentions this for fun?

You said, "I'm sorry to learn about your disadvantages," yet I already pointed out that there are disadvantages and advantages. I gave a few examples when speaking and listening wouldn't be advantageous in a certain situation. Yet, you're sorry about that?

Yes. Sympathy for someone who survives in defeatist mind set. Shame some people have to live their lives that way, isn't it?

People are are fluent in more than one language definitely do have more opportunities. That's what's so great about Deaf people...most of us are fluent in more than one language. :)

People are are fluent in more than one language definitely do have more opportunities. That's what's so great about Deaf people...most of us are fluent in more than one language. :)

My daughter is fluent in Japanese and Spanish...... Working on Chinese now. :)

And thanks to Deaf people, I am too!:wave:

It comes from the attitude that hearing is better, and we are constantly stopping people and educating them every time we see it. It is a seemingly endless task, since many deaf still have the mistaken idea of the importance of speech.
Beowulf, I think it could go either way.
Under an AG Bell/Clarke/CID mode of thinking(ie learn speech and thus assimulate in the Wonderful World of Hearing) yes.....but under a bilingal-bicultral mode (where it's treated as a second language) no.

Beowulf, I think it could go either way.
Under an AG Bell/Clarke/CID mode of thinking(ie learn speech and thus assimulate in the Wonderful World of Hearing) yes.....but under a bilingal-bicultral mode (where it's treated as a second language) no.

Bi-bi treats English as a second language...not speech.

Yes I know. But I think that you could tweak the bi bi model for hoh kids or kids who are capable of learning spoken language. Like learning spoken English would be more like hearing kids learning how to speak French.....make sense?
Idealisticly, what I would love to see for early childhood/early intervention through Deaf Schools is a bilingal model like what my hearing friend experianced...French in the morning and then English in the afternoon.
Kids would be able to get auditory training and exposure to spoken English, and learning how to speak English (not speech therapy) in the morning and then ASL and Deaf literacy in the afternoon.

My daughter is fluent in Japanese and Spanish...... Working on Chinese now. :)

That's great! I wish my daughter would have been more motivated to learn Spanish as it is het father's native tongue. But at 14, so far ...it is a no go. Would have loved for her to be trilingual.

Keep up the good work!

Yes I know. But I think that you could tweak the bi bi model for hoh kids or kids who are capable of learning spoken language. Like learning spoken English would be more like hearing kids learning how to speak French.....make sense?
Idealisticly, what I would love to see for early childhood/early intervention through Deaf Schools is a bilingal model like what my hearing friend experianced...French in the morning and then English in the afternoon.
Kids would be able to get auditory training and exposure to spoken English, and learning how to speak English (not speech therapy) in the morning and then ASL and Deaf literacy in the afternoon.

Don't know about the auditory training. That really has nothing to do with the academic curriculum. Nor dies speech training. Exposure I don't have a problem with in a bi-bo school, but then, the kids already get that.

Schools are meant to educate. I have a problem with trying to turn them into rehab facilities.

Back