Baby born deaf will get 'bionic ears' that could help him hear and talk

In having that added communication skill (speaking and/or listening) can certainly give deaf/hh people an edge, even a huge advantage in the hearing world. That's a given.

Not always....

jillo, I KNOW......a lot of those parents seem to also think that Deaf Schools are something out of the 1940's. One thing I absolutly hate is the attitude that mainstreaming is some innovative thing. It was back in the old days....But it is not now. And believe it or not this isn't exclusive to Deaf Ed.
There are people who if you suggest that their kid with blindness or mental disabilty might do better in a more specialized educational placement, scream and holler that you're segregating them. :roll: I mean sheesh.....hearing kids don't need ASL or speech therapy or other services that TODs provide, sighted kids don't need Braille or other blindness skills (and most of the time if they get the services through an itenrient TOD/TOB they get fifteen mintues of it....unlike if they went to a deaf school or a blind school or even a dhh, blind/low vision program) Also, with the fact that our school systems have basicly become college prep schools, kids with mental or learning disabilty aren't being served... The fact of the matter is that public schools are too one size fits all.

Not always....

Yes, since I said "having that added communication skill" means exactly that...a skill...and in this context I was referring to speaking and/or listening skill(s) that can certainly give a person with hearing loss that added advantage in a hearing world. My focus is on the word "skill" which is an advantage.

Yes, since I said "having that added communication skill" means exactly that...a skill...and in this context I was referring to speaking and/or listening skill(s) that can certainly give a person with hearing loss that added advantage in a hearing world. My focus is on the word "skill" which is an advantage.
According to your thinking, I have many advantages over many hearing people. The advantages are both physical and cognitive. But thinking that way, focusing on what one have, that another don't have, gives a lot of disadvantages that I don't want to carry around with me, and I feel sorry for people who have to do so.

According to your thinking, I have many advantages over many hearing people. The advantages are both physical and cognitive. But thinking that way, focusing on what one have, that another don't have, gives a lot of disadvantages that I don't want to carry around with me, and I feel sorry for people who have to do so.

That's fine. However, I am speaking specifically from the viewpoint of having communication skills involving speaking and/or listening as a deaf/hh person in a hearing world. We all have advantages and disadvantages over what people have or don't have.

I am speaking specifically from the viewpoint of having communication skills involving speaking and/or listening as a deaf/hh person in a hearing world
And this doesn't nessarily have to be an audist statement. Someone who is Hispanic from a Spanish speaking family, has more advantages if they are fluent in spoken English as well.

That's fine. However, I am speaking specifically from the viewpoint of having communication skills involving speaking and/or listening as a deaf/hh person in a hearing world. We all have advantages and disadvantages over what people have or don't have.
Ok, so that's one of endless situation depedent disadvantages. Why the obession with that situation and disadvantage? You don't happen beeing jealous at people who are happy with ASL and find no disadvantages in not using speech and ears, while it creates tons of problems for you?

And this doesn't nessarily have to be an audist statement. Someone who is Hispanic from a Spanish speaking family, has more advantages if they are fluent in spoken English as well.
Sure, not necessary audist. A hearing person can have more advantages if she know ASL.

Right, and it's certainly not a statement as you have said. And exactly right about the advantages on the fluency part, too.

Right, and it's certainly not a statement as you have said. And exactly right about the advantages on the fluency part, too.

This is where we part company. It IS an audist statement. It comes from the attitude that hearing is better, and we are constantly stopping people and educating them every time we see it. It is a seemingly endless task, since many deaf still have the mistaken idea of the importance of speech.

No statement in and of itself is audist. It is the belief behind the statement that makes it audist.:cool2:

Sure, not necessary audist. A hearing person can have more advantages if she know ASL.

True, that.:P

Anyone, anywhere has an advantage if they are bi- or multi-lingual. I thought we all realized that by now.;)

This is where we part company. It IS an audist statement. It comes from the attitude that hearing is better, and we are constantly stopping people and educating them every time we see it. It is a seemingly endless task, since many deaf still have the mistaken idea of the importance of speech.

Agreed. In this case it is an audist statement, not because of the word choice, but as a direct result of the attitude of the individual making the statement.;)

Ok, so that's one of endless situation depedent disadvantages. Why the obession with that situation and disadvantage? You don't happen beeing jealous at people who are happy with ASL and find no disadvantages in not using speech and ears, while it creates tons of problems for you?

A matter of perspective here but there are in fact disadvantages and advantages as I have said before. In this case, communication skills, if you have them, involving speaking and/or listening is an advantage to have. Tons of disadvantages for me? You have it backward. And, yes, there are some disadvantages but "tons of them" is not it.

I have no problem with those who are happy with ASL. Good for them.

Agreed. In this case it is an audist statement, not because of the word choice, but as a direct result of the attitude of the individual making the statement.;)

Yep. It is too bad he will not learn this time, since we are his ignore list. :)
I admit to being somewhat of an audist a rather short while back, but I have learned so much on AD, thanks to you and others. :wave:

Yep. It is too bad he will not learn this time, since we are his ignore list. :)
I admit to being somewhat of an audist a rather short while back, but I have learned so much on AD, thanks to you and others. :wave:

And I have learned thanks to you. It is a give and take.

I was definately an audist when my son was diagnosed. It was natural for me to be so since I was a hearing person. I had been socialized to be audist. However, unless I wanted to set up a situation whereby I discriminated against my own child, I had to change. But before I could change, I had to get honest about myself and admit that I was an audist. That is the step most never move past.

Back