Baby born deaf will get 'bionic ears' that could help him hear and talk

I am only on page 3 at moment, reading them through cos interesting. Noticed there lots of talk about mainstreaming and how it improved cos of tech and USA and UK. I can tell you that UK is same as USA with mainstreaming, I have read USA Deaf experience and it exactly the same for me and I am from UK. Support and service are similar and you get them different ways but how much we able to get them is same from USA and UK. Very low and depends on where you are and which schools, etc.

I am only 23 years old and my experience is still the same as much older Deaf, nothing has changed. I know some young Deaf still in school and their experience is still the same. Technology cannot replace social and language in schools. Lots of schools seems to say we got new techologies means Deaf child will be happier, etc. So far it hasn't worked except some of HOH kids like my sister was happy.

Yep. I remember one classmate who could speak on the phone and who could converse with the hearing.. I was shocked at the quality of his writing even though I had been in the oral program with him from preschool to 3rd grade.
Keep in mind some people may have dyslexia regardless of what hearing they have or background they're from. I know a few myself.

Now I am all catched up. Last few pages had bit about Deaf children reading skills level. I know that in UK average level of deaf children reading skills when they leave school at 16 is 8-10 years old. That comes from mainstream, that where experts got stats from. So far there no stats on Deaf children from Deaf schools I can find.

Wow... after laughter and tears, I finally caught up with this thread.

My opinion: Callum's mom pretty much got attacked for the wording on the article. She came here to clarify a few things. Yes, she defended herself (LIKE ANY NORMAL HUMAN BEING). She even asked SPECIFICALLY "What am I doing wrong?" only to get psychobabble answers about "It's all in the state of mind. The intentions are clear.", which is obviously calling her intent "audist" without saying it. We have smart people here and they know how to relay a message without actually saying it so that no one can find any specific posts to back up their accusations. They can simply say "I didn't say that." I have to laugh because... mmm they are very, very good. I don't even bother trying to argue with them.

Honestly, it's just a little sad really. I'm sure some of you think that trying to point out their audist tendencies or point out that they WILL do something audist later will somehow be better for the kid in the long run. I don't think so. This action is off-putting, annoying, and will rarely (if ever) make the parent "see the light".

To me, the only results that came out of this thread are:

1) More anger for hearing parents by the Deaf which will only serve additional fuel next time a new hearing parent comes on AD saying "Hi! I have a deaf child and I'm thinking about doing CIs!"
2) Yet one more hearing parent left with a really bad taste for Deaf people.

You can blame the hearing parents all you want for threads like this, but... come on... surely you all DO have some CONTROL of how threads like this will come out.

I am not saying that we have to coddle them or anything, but... if we make the effort to even respond, then why not be more constructive? Why bother even saying anything at all? Threads like this seem so..... destructive to me. I do honestly feel that it brings more bad than good for the deaf child.

But hey, if you really think doing this does make a difference or at least, a real attempt to make a difference, then, by all means, criticize away, judge away.

Lots of passive aggressive behavior in this thread. Not helpful.

How much you like your HAs depends, in large part, on the kind of hearing loss that you have. I have an ambivalent relationship with my HAs because of mid-frequency loss and recruitment. Sounds are very distorted.

The grammar freak in me must say that "irregardless" is not a word. :P

Irregardless is an informal word, like many others that can be used for added emphasis.

I'm sorry for this mum feeling hurted, but I guess it can happen sometimes... To hurt, and to be hurted. These are chances of growth, but when you're at the beginning of your child's deaf journey, you feel everything deeper. It still happens to me after 1 year, to be hurt when someone says "Without CI a child will have huge problems with language", or at the opposite "Without early exposure to SL a child will have huge problems with language". We lay in both those circumstances :roll: Yet I do hope my child will do well, and I know that the pain if he will talk, write or read badly will mostly be MINE, not HIS. I am the one who wants his child to be as others. He has no need for this.

That's basically what I don't understand other parents most of the time, and I have a problem to get along with them: is it so hard to admit you do it FOR YOURSELF??? I don't like the word audism, but damn, I know what I would have wanted as a hearing person: a child who is like me. It' human. It's easier, if you can live in your golden dreamy world and believe your children are just like you (at least until teenage:lol:then you find out you were sooo wrong!!). Why do I want him to talk, and possibly listen? It's easier for me. I'm scared at the idea of a SL only child: will I ever be able to sign so well? Will I ever be able to understand him? I am the one who needs to work on his oral language NOW. He has no need for it, and no one in the world knows what his future will be. Is it so bad to admit this? We can't help being hearing just like our children can't help being deaf. The easiest way for them to communicate is SL. The easiest thing to do for us is to teach them to talk. Since we are in love with each other, we try to meet somewhere in the middle... Which, in my opinion, is not bad at all. But I have no problem in admitting the reason I make him wear his HA is for ME, for my well-being, to make me feel like I'm giving him a chance to come closer to my world while I work on myself every day to get closer to his world. He has accepted his aids, and all I have to say to him is "thanks" for that. I know he's doing it for me.
Parents have feelings too, and sometimes you just have to admit you're not able to overcome your feelings. It's ok. But I prefer to admit that this is the reason for my choice of HA or CI. Some parents told me "I do it for his future well-being, as an adult". But you know nothing about that adult. He doesn't exist for me. I have a 2yo, Deaf to the bone, and that's the reality I have to live with. And yes, I need to make him walk a little to meet me in a middle way, as he needs me to do the same. HA or CI is what we ask these children to do FOR US, in my opinion. SL is something we simply owe them.

Thank you for being one of those parents that are able to be introspective and honest. Your child will benefit greatly from your ability to do so.

Irregardless is an informal word, like many others that can be used for added emphasis.

Nope. Creates a double negative. Regardless is the word you are looking for. In using irregardless, you have said exactly the opposite of what you meant to say.

I am only on page 3 at moment, reading them through cos interesting. Noticed there lots of talk about mainstreaming and how it improved cos of tech and USA and UK. I can tell you that UK is same as USA with mainstreaming, I have read USA Deaf experience and it exactly the same for me and I am from UK. Support and service are similar and you get them different ways but how much we able to get them is same from USA and UK. Very low and depends on where you are and which schools, etc.

I am only 23 years old and my experience is still the same as much older Deaf, nothing has changed. I know some young Deaf still in school and their experience is still the same. Technology cannot replace social and language in schools. Lots of schools seems to say we got new techologies means Deaf child will be happier, etc. So far it hasn't worked except some of HOH kids like my sister was happy.

Thank you for sharing that with us,Speedy Hawk. In posting, I was certain that there were not any significant differences between education in the mainstream in the U.K. and the U.S. I try to do my research prior to forming an opinion or making a statement.:ty:

In nutshell..mainstreaming sucks for most deaf children.

Wow... after laughter and tears, I finally caught up with this thread.

My opinion: Callum's mom pretty much got attacked for the wording on the article. She came here to clarify a few things. Yes, she defended herself (LIKE ANY NORMAL HUMAN BEING). She even asked SPECIFICALLY "What am I doing wrong?" only to get psychobabble answers about "It's all in the state of mind. The intentions are clear.", which is obviously calling her intent "audist" without saying it. We have smart people here and they know how to relay a message without actually saying it so that no one can find any specific posts to back up their accusations. They can simply say "I didn't say that." I have to laugh because... mmm they are very, very good. I don't even bother trying to argue with them.

Honestly, it's just a little sad really. I'm sure some of you think that trying to point out their audist tendencies or point out that they WILL do something audist later will somehow be better for the kid in the long run. I don't think so. This action is off-putting, annoying, and will rarely (if ever) make the parent "see the light".

To me, the only results that came out of this thread are:

1) More anger for hearing parents by the Deaf which will only serve additional fuel next time a new hearing parent comes on AD saying "Hi! I have a deaf child and I'm thinking about doing CIs!"
2) Yet one more hearing parent left with a really bad taste for Deaf people.

You can blame the hearing parents all you want for threads like this, but... come on... surely you all DO have some CONTROL of how threads like this will come out.

I am not saying that we have to coddle them or anything, but... if we make the effort to even respond, then why not be more constructive? Why bother even saying anything at all? Threads like this seem so..... destructive to me. I do honestly feel that it brings more bad than good for the deaf child.

But hey, if you really think doing this does make a difference or at least, a real attempt to make a difference, then, by all means, criticize away, judge away.

Look! Another one! GET HER!!!

Nope- not looking for regardless. As I said, it can provide added emphasis which was my point.

Nope. It just turns your sentence around and you are saying exactly the opposite of what you intended to say. Italics or bolding adds emphasis. Add Ir to regardless just creates a double negative. As in when people say "I couldn't care less." In reality, that means they could care less.

Yes, it does.

So, let's just leave this thread on that note. If some wants to see mainstreaming so wonderful for all deaf children ignoring the fact that many have suffered, let them.

So, let's just leave this thread on that note. If some wants to see mainstreaming so wonderful for all deaf children ignoring the fact that many have suffered, let them.

Good idea. The numbers are there in the middle of the thread. They speak for themselves.

Yeah. Even after cutting open infants to see if they can be "fixed" much more to one's liking. Sorry to be rough, but that is the way I see it. Just my opinion.

Consider this though: I've read endless discussions of how Deaf adults suffered abuse, crappy academics, isolation, bullying, etc. as children at schools for the deaf. And yet ... I've enrolled my daughter for more than 2 years at a school for the deaf and intend to continue as long as it serves her needs. I'm not ignoring all of those stories, I'm watching carefully for any indication of the same. But as I've said before, I think my daughter's experience at this school for the deaf will be different from what someone might have experienced there 40, 30, even 10 years ago. There are many variables at play that we've adjusted, many changes that the school has made even in the 4 years we've been associated with them.

I'm a big proponent of deaf ed tailored to a student's needs, and integration with other deaf peers and role models -- wherever possible. And even with my bias towards and choice of a school for the deaf for my child, I have seen several mainstream environments today that can meet the needs of deaf individuals as well or better than many other deaf schools.

Consider this though: I've read endless discussions of how Deaf adults suffered abuse, crappy academics, isolation, bullying, etc. as children at schools for the deaf. And yet ... I've enrolled my daughter for more than 2 years at a school for the deaf and intend to continue as long as it serves her needs. I'm not ignoring all of those stories, I'm watching carefully for any indication of the same. But as I've said before, I think my daughter's experience at this school for the deaf will be different from what someone might have experienced there 40, 30, even 10 years ago. There are many variables at play that we've adjusted, many changes that the school has made even in the 4 years we've been associated with them.

I'm a big proponent of deaf ed tailored to a student's needs, and integration with other deaf peers and role models -- wherever possible. And even with my bias towards and choice of a school for the deaf for my child, I have seen several mainstream environments today that can meet the needs of deaf individuals as well or better than many other deaf schools.

I've read of more of the same happening to hearing students in mainstream schools. Just saying.

Messymama- the one thing I'd have to disagree with is your statement that hearing parents want hearing kids so they are just like them. That may be the case fir some people; but I think most just want a happy, healthy child. I had no expectations when my son was born, and given the challenging circumstances around his birth that was a good thing. I just wanted my child to live. Now he is a "big boy" and he is his own person. I am grateful everyday to have this unique person in my life. I express to him (sometimes with good tears in my eyes) how happy I am he is in our life. How happy I was to have him, because without him I would have never been exposed as much to Deaf Culture, and sign language among other things.

My child is different from me. He eats meat- I'm a vegetarian. He likes Star Wars- I much prefer Judge Mathis. The list goes on, but these differences make the world an exciting place. How boring would it be if we were all the same.

So, I don't think parents go into parenthood looking for a "hearing child." When they find out their child is deaf; of course it takes some time to come to terms with it, but most do and act accordingly.

Nope. It just turns your sentence around and you are saying exactly the opposite of what you intended to say. Italics or bolding adds emphasis. Add Ir to regardless just creates a double negative. As in when people say "I couldn't care less." In reality, that means they could care less.

I used to say I couldn't care less when I was younger but these days double negatives are a pet peeve of mine.

Back