Attn: Addressing some issues that has been going on.

I'm not anti-CI either. I'm only anti-parents making audist decisions for their Deaf children without even consulting them.

At what age of the child do you consult with them ?

I say " let parents be parents and make decisions for their own kids "

I'm not anti-CI either. I'm only anti-parents making audist decisions for their Deaf children without even consulting them.
So the parents should wait and let the window for aquiring English close. Tell me at what age do you think it is appropriate for "the child" to make such a profound decision? And be clear to indicate an age where you believe the child is even capable of comprehending the subject and then making an informed decision. How old would that be in your mind.

At what age of the child do you consult with them ?

I say " let parents be parents and make decisions for their own kids "

My experience (no total deaf children, only 1 with a hearing loss) is that most deaf children whether total deaf or HOH are pretty mature regarding their hearing "issues" as they undergo testing (poking and prodding) and all kinds of "nightmarish" (my daughter's words) things. Therefore, even a young child (3-4 and up) will know if they want to go through any other things or just let them be. My kids gave up their hearing aids because they were tired of all of the problems with them and tired of all of the testing and everything. My son had advised me (at age 4) that he did not want anything else done for his hearing and he wanted to be as natural as G-D intended him to be. His hearing has slowly gotten worse and at 14 he still has the same opinion. He has decided that he will learn ASL with me (I am total deaf as of 3 1/2 years ago). There are a lot of times that I do still make decisions for my children since they are not adults, but when it comes to issues like this, I do allow them to voice an opinion and we talk with the professionals (both son and I) before we make the decision. We found out after my daughter's last test with different audiologist that she never needed the hearing aid. It was making her problem worse. She could hear all sounds of all frequencies. She just described the sounds as "fuzzy". I asked her today (she's 15) if that was still the problem, and she stated a little, but since she's so used to it, she can deal with it.

There is never a time when the window for learning English closes. People are capable of acquiring languages through out their lives. It's best to refrain from making a decision out of fear. If you tell parents a falsehood like the child will never learn English, you're adding an element of fear to the decision (which doesn't even exist!).

There is never a time when the window for learning English closes. People are capable of acquiring languages through out their lives. It's best to refrain from making a decision out of fear. If you tell parents a falsehood like the child will never learn English, you're adding an element of fear to the decision (which doesn't even exist!).

:gpost:

So the parents should wait and let the window for aquiring English close. Tell me at what age do you think it is appropriate for "the child" to make such a profound decision? And be clear to indicate an age where you believe the child is even capable of comprehending the subject and then making an informed decision. How old would that be in your mind.

I don't want to have the CI debate here but you can look some up where I've already stated all my opinions. :)

:gpost::gpost:

Unfortunately there are some CI doctors, audiologists and some educational professionals who play on that fear. My deaf friend in PA experienced that with her two deaf sons. Luckily, she was smarter than them and didnt play into their games

I totally agree with you. Many deaf people were able to learn English without a CI.

I feel bad for one member whom's thread kept continuing getting locked because some members don't know how to debate on a topic at hand instead they spent their time personal attacking the one who hold opinions different from theirs. I do not mean that you have to agree with them, but just agree to disagree without throwing any personal attacks. How hard can that be?

Here is a small sampling of the things that some had written about a member "a pathological liar" "talking sh** out your *ss" etc. Personal attacks damage the community and nobody likes the abuse. When will this ever stop? Come on guys. Let's have a strong community where we could agree to disagree.

Enough with the ownership of threads! I can't find any information anywhere that an original poster controls a thread. Anything posted on any thread is not a reflection on the original poster. Most of the time, I don't even notice who started a thread.

I don't want to have the CI debate here but you can look some up where I've already stated all my opinions. :)
You are the one that called parents that choose a CI for their children audists. If you don't want to discuss here then don't bring it up. Peace!

I am talking about first language (L1). Yes anyone can learn a second language (L2) any time in life. The research I have seen indicates there is a window for learning L1 language and that is very early in life.

Source: Language and Linguistics: Language Acquisition
In fact, childhood may be a critical period for the acquisition of language capabilities. Some scientists claim that if a person does not acquire any language before the teen-aged years, they will never do so in a functional sense.

Source: Early Window for Language Acquisition - Psychiatry
Young children acquire spoken languages much more easily than do older children or adults. Results from a Canadian study underline the importance of early-life exposure . . .

Source: Second Language Acquisition and the Critical Period Hypothesis
In humans, on the basis of extant evidence, it seems that there is a critical period for first language acquisition; those unfortunate persons who are not exposed to any language before puberty seem unable to properly acquire the syntax of their first language later in life.

Those are theories that have not been proven. Note the word "may" in the 1st quote and the phrase "it seems" in the 3rd quote. Those theories were promoted before scientists even understood neuroplasticity. I won't discuss this any further here since it's not the appropriate thread.

I feel bad for one member whom's thread kept continuing getting locked because some members don't know how to debate on a topic at hand instead they spent their time personal attacking the one who hold opinions different from theirs. I do not mean that you have to agree with them, but just agree to disagree without throwing any personal attacks. How hard can that be?

Here is a small sampling of the things that some had written about a member "a pathological liar" "talking sh** out your *ss" etc. Personal attacks damage the community and nobody likes the abuse. When will this ever stop? Come on guys. Let's have a strong community where we could agree to disagree.

I feel bad, too. It's gettin' tiresome to see some of the ADers kept throwin' any personal attacks on one specific Alldeaf member. I kept myself in distance from those who kept throwin' personal attacks. This is where I drew the line from.

Who ever throws a personal attack on one or more ADers... are NOT above the laws. They are not cops.

I feel bad, too. It's gettin' tiresome to see some of the ADers kept throwin' any personal attacks on one specific Alldeaf member. I kept myself in distance from those who kept throwin' personal attacks. This is where I drew the line from.

Who ever throws a personal attack on one or more ADers... are NOT above the laws. They are not cops.

that specific AD member is not above the law nor a cop as well :)

step back and think about why that specific AD member is being attacked

Jiro & souggy,

Once OP created his thread, both of you don't need to throw any personal attacks on OP. Both of you need to learn to walk away and leave OP be since you both guys knew it is not goin' to work for both of you. You both can't win the debate. This site is all for education, not personal attacks to throw at. Each person is different. Just accept agree to disagree like Cheri said. Simple as that.

Jiro & souggy,

Once OP created his thread, both of you don't need to throw any personal attacks on OP. Both of you need to learn to walk away and leave OP be since you both guys knew it is not goin' to work for both of you. You both can't win the debate. This site is all for education, not personal attacks to throw at. Each person is different. Just accept agree to disagree like Cheri said. Simple as that.

and that's what I did. Please provide example.

Jiro & souggy,

Just a friendly reminder to you Maria about OP and threads - OP does not own the thread.

Thread ownership :shock:

Back