ASL student attending Deaf event

How is something a sterotype when they actually tell you that?
Are you sure the individual or individuals in question weren't just speaking for themselves rather than for the entire Deaf community? It's rather ironic that you may very well be doing what you accuse Jillio of doing.

There you go again. One person tells you something, and you attempt to generalize it to an entire population. That is exactly how stereotypes come into existence.:roll:

And hearing people speaking for the Deaf, instead of them speaking for themselves is how we end up with things like Milan in 1880.

Are you sure the individual or individuals in question weren't just speaking for themselves rather than for the entire Deaf community? It's rather ironic that you may very well be doing what you accuse Jillio of doing.

Bingo. She is giving an apt demonstration of how to create a stereotype.

Yes, most of us love deaf children but not at bars..we all are too busy drinking ourselves to a supor and don't want to be bothered with children.

Lol

And hearing people speaking for the Deaf, instead of them speaking for themselves is how we end up with things like Milan in 1880.

Given your switcheroo to an oralist perspective, you might want to be careful with going in that direction.:cool2:

I said that I am only speaking about my person experiences, she says she speaks for the whole Deaf community.

Yes, most of us love deaf children but not at bars..we all are too busy drinking ourselves to a supor and don't want to be bothered with children.

Lol

Anyways, I don't think 90% of deaf children r never exposed to the Deaf community.

Lol

You mean you would not be overjoyed to have the opportunity to play with a deaf kid in a bar???:shock:

:laugh2:

Given your switcheroo to an oralist perspective, you might want to be careful with going in that direction.:cool2:

I have no "oralist perspective". I simply follow my child's lead, and think that every parent should do the same. I am actually a very outspoken advocate for ASL for all children with a hearing loss, but I do acknowledge that parents have the right to make informed decisions for their own child.

I have no "oralist perspective". I simply follow my child's lead, and think that every parent should do the same. I am actually a very outspoken advocate for ASL for all children with a hearing loss, but I do acknowledge that parents have the right to make informed decisions for their own child.

Right.......

Right.......

Believe whatever you like. You are a random stranger with her nose so far.....wait, nevermind, don't want to get banned.

You are not a part of my life, and never will be, so I have nothing to prove to you. The every day success of my child is good enough for me.

Lol

I love deaf kids in bars. They are so cute when you put them up on the bar and make them dance!:P

I said that I am only speaking about my person experiences, she says she speaks for the whole Deaf community.
I think the comment that initially got you into trouble was when you said without qualification:
Deaf people LOVE deaf kids!
and then you tried to defend it by saying that Deaf people in general rarely have an opportunity to interact with Deaf children because 90% of them are born to hearing parents. Are you aware of any studies proving this, or is that just an ad hoc argument?

As for jillio, I haven't seen her claim to speak for the whole Deaf community.

Edit: I mean studies proving that Deaf people rarely have an opportunity to interact with Deaf children, not that 90% of them are born to hearing parents.

Pls no oralism vs. ASL fights!!! We all can get together at a bar and have mud wrestling constests! :lol:

Back