ASL student attending Deaf event

Perhaps we have got off on the wrong foot. :cheers: I do think you have the wrong impression of me though. I am truly here to learn.
I believe you are since this isn't a website for casual chatters. Most people here have a reason to be here. I would just be careful about describing a cultural perspective as "unfair". After all, it's not like anybody's human rights are being violated. :)

You made a snide remark about Deaf people also liking hearing children, so I explained what I meant further. Since the vast majority of deaf children are not a part of the Deaf community, it has been my experience that Deaf adults (especially older adults) are very excited to get the opportunity to play with little deaf kids.

My remark was not snide. It was true. Perhaps more true than your assessment that Deaf people just love little deaf kids. Some Deaf people like kids, period. Some don't want to be bothered with them at all, whether they are deaf or hearing kids. You are reinforcing commonly held hearing misperceptions, and that needs to be corrected.

I don't kow how to be more clear. Greater than 90% of deaf children are born to hearing parents. A huge percentage (some argue as high as 95%) of them are not involved in the Deaf community as children. Therefore, having young deaf children in the Deaf community is fairly rare.

You are creating a correlation that does not exist in order to justify your misperception.

I don't kow how to be more clear. Greater than 90% of deaf children are born to hearing parents. A huge percentage (some argue as high as 95%) of them are not involved in the Deaf community as children. Therefore, having young deaf children in the Deaf community is fairly rare.

That's a good question. I do not know what to answer. From my understanding and experience, I have been attended to Deaf school all my life. I do have my Deaf community since I was a little kiddo. Like I did interact with other Deaf kids and Deaf Adults at many Deaf events.
If you were referring to Deaf kids who go to school that have small number of Deaf kiddos along with hearing kiddos then i dont know what to say. I had no experience of this small number of Deaf kids who go to school with the majority of hearing kiddos at school. But I always thought Deaf children do have their Deaf community if they do interact with other Deaf kiddos at somewhere places or Deaf events or Deaf socials. :dunno:

I believe you are since this isn't a website for casual chatters. Most people here have a reason to be here. I would just be careful about describing a cultural perspective as "unfair". After all, it's not like anybody's human rights are being violated. :)
Lesson learned. When I first joined this site I made the mistake of refering to deafness as a disablilty. Kalista promptly and without discression corrected me.

Nobody is being rude to you. Just disagreeing...BTW, I think Mountain Man is a hearing parent of a deaf child just like u and RD are.
That's correct. I've been studying ASL in college for the past year and hope to graduate with an associates degree in ASL interpreting within the next year or so. I suppose I should mention that interpreters (and interpreters in training) tend to identify very strongly with the Deaf community, perhaps moreso in my case since my interest is doubly vested.

That's a good question. I do not know what to answer. From my understanding and experience, I have been attended to Deaf school all my life. I do have my Deaf community since I was a little kiddo. Like I did interact with other Deaf kids and Deaf Adults at many Deaf events.
If you were referring to Deaf kids who go to school that have small number of Deaf kiddos along with hearing kiddos then i dont know what to say. I had no experience of this small number of Deaf kids who go to school with the majority of hearing kiddos at school. But I always thought Deaf children do have their Deaf community if they do interact with other Deaf kiddos at somewhere places or Deaf events or Deaf socials. :dunno:

You are correct. There is some faulty logic at play.

Lesson learned. When I first joined this site I made the mistake of refering to deafness as a disablilty. Kalista promptly and without discression corrected me.
It's O.K. I've taken my licks here too, such as the time I said that ASL can't use passive voice.

That's correct. I've been studying ASL in college for the past year and hope to graduate with an associates degree in ASL interpreting within the next year or so. I suppose I should mention that interpreters (and interpreters in training) tend to identify very strongly with the Deaf community, perhaps moreso in my case since my interest is doubly vested.

Awesome. I didnt know that you are hearing. :giggle:

You are correct. There is some faulty logic at play.

Whatever.

You have your experience, I have mine. Every single time a hearing parent shows up to a Deaf event in my area (including myself, but also others) the Deaf people gush over the opportunity to have little Deaf ones around. They thank us for the effort we put forth to include our child in the Deaf community, and tell us how happy they are to have little deaf kids around, and how they don't get the chance much.

You simply look for a chance to argue with me, even one as benign as saying Deaf people like deaf children.

Whatever.

You have your experience, I have mine. Every single time a hearing parent shows up to a Deaf event in my area (including myself, but also others) the Deaf people gush over the opportunity to have little Deaf ones around. They thank us for the effort we put forth to include our child in the Deaf community, and tell us how happy they are to have little deaf kids around, and how they don't get the chance much.

You simply look for a chance to argue with me, even one as benign as saying Deaf people like deaf children.

Nope. I look for the opportunity to correct stereotypes and misperceptions that hearing people spread regarding deaf people. You just happen to be guilty of doing that again and again.

Nope. I look for the opportunity to correct stereotypes and misperceptions that hearing people spread regarding deaf people. You just happen to be guilty of doing that again and again.

How is something a sterotype when they actually tell you that? You think you speak for these Deaf people, instead of themselves? That is a bold line to take....

How is something a sterotype when they actually tell you that? You think you speak for these Deaf people, instead of themselves? That is a bold line to take....

There you go again. One person tells you something, and you attempt to generalize it to an entire population. That is exactly how stereotypes come into existence.:roll:

Whatever.

the Deaf people gush over the opportunity to have little Deaf ones around. They thank us for the effort we put forth to include our child in the Deaf community, and tell us how happy they are to have little deaf kids around, and how they don't get the chance much.

That's sad to know. :( It has nothing to do with you. Speaking of this majority of hearing people who makes it happen to the Deaf kids being away from the other Deaf kids to each other.

Back