Asl speed limit

Status
Not open for further replies.
Alright..this was the post that I missed. It could be viewed as superior than oralism and SEE or it could be viewed as faster than oralism and SEE.

Depends on how one takes it in.

Oh, you missed the very first post I made? Lol, yeah, that was an important one to understanding this whole clusterfuck. :lol:

I have always been open about the fact that I think ASL is superior to English.

In no way or form that is Audism. It does not declare one human is superior to other.

:)

I knew it would be "about PFH" coming from you. Heh.

Aha...it was you who said that ASL is superior to English. Glad I went back to read it because I didnt read the first page of this thread carefully. lol

no. I mean with this specific tshirt. What change should it have to satisfy you?

Oh, I suppose I would just add context for it. Something that is also clever, like, a header above the speed limits that says, "Deaf Child Education Highway" or something. That way, you would know that the shirt is proposing ASL is faster for deaf children to learn than oralism or SEE (which there is no denying that it is).

Once you give it some context, you take away the absolutism, and then everyone is happy, including TheGrumpAlex

Oh, I suppose I would just add context for it. Something that is also clever, like, a header above the speed limits that says, "Deaf Child Education Highway" or something. That way, you would know that the shirt is proposing ASL is faster for deaf children to learn than oralism or SEE (which there is no denying that it is).

Once you give it some context, you take away the absolutism, and then everyone is happy, including TheGrumpAlex

Maybe the other side does say something! :lol:

Oh, you missed the very first post I made? Lol, yeah, that was an important one to understanding this whole clusterfuck. :lol:

I missed several posts including the one about me buying you the shirt for Christmas which was why I was confused to why you brought it up. I thought you were expecting a gift from me. :lol:

Shows how important it is for one to read the whole thread before commenting. I was too lazy last night.

I think this t-shirt 'debate' is actually a great representation of how important our individual backgrounds are and how much they influence how we communicate and process information. I have followed this 'back-n-forth' thread - is one form of communication better than another, CAN one form be better/faster/more efficient than another? - and find it all very interesting. But what I have found most interesting is that I viewed the t-shirt completely differently than anyone else ... not sure if that makes me rather dense-minded or rather creative in my own outlook haha. For me, the t-shirt expresses how I feel sometimes amongst deafies. My own oral language feels slow and cumbersome. SEE feels slightly more efficient as it can often provide a bridge between my 1st language (oral engish) and signing. But ASL at full speed .... whoa! My friends hands are flying and faces are changing so fast that I just can't keep up (kind of like watching a car race in person when the cars go by so fast all you see is a blur).
So, based on my personal background, I think the t-shirt expresses my feelings accurately and with good humour. :)

I don't think anyone is trying to lord linguistic superiority of any language. I think the tshirt is cool because most people would never stop to think that ASL can be faster because you can say multiple things in one sign or two instead of speaking all the words.

If you have two people fluent in English and then two people fluent in ASL and compare those two groups - chances are, ASL is faster and that tshirt is quite an interesting conversation piece. It will make people ask questions. That's always a good thing.

The research shows that fluent users of English and of ASL end up conveying the message in the same amount of time. Neither language is "faster" overall. Each will be able to do parts faster.

The research shows that fluent users of English and of ASL end up conveying the message in the same amount of time. Neither language is "faster" overall. Each will be able to do parts faster.

Which study are you referring to?

ah... there I fixed it.

vxg4so.jpg

ok, wait a minute. this is not hearing vs asl, this is oralism vs asl. for most deaf people, oralism is not an easy task. I can speak it well but will never be able to hear nor catch everything someone said. This is laborious. I don't know about others but for me personally, there is a slight delay as I process what words I did hear then put them together to get the gist of the message.

If you have two deaf people talking to each other, like oral deafs, I still think when one factors in comprehension, that asl is faster. I was in heaven last week when I was in my 3 hour ASL class for it was a world of difference - comprehension-wise. There was no "huh?", no delays in processing what was said. It was crystal clear.

I guess this is all a matter of perspective depending on who you're talking to. Before learning ASL, I would have said oralism is faster only because I didn't know SEE or ASL but now my views have changed.

2010 - first time I met Sheila in NYC.... we got ticketed for driving too slow.
2011 - first time I met Sheila in Boston.... we got ticketed for driving too fast.

:roll:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back