Asl speed limit

Status
Not open for further replies.
It was funny! Some people need to drink more beer and relax a bit before they get on this board. Lol

If the person is fully fluent in both oral and ASL, they would be able to do both at the same speed (not at the same time of course). The research shows that ASL and speaking take the same amount of time to convey the same message. (I don't know SEE, so I have no opinion on that matter.)

Cool! I love literal thinkers. :D

Umm. I didn't bring some dramas here but found this deaf humor shirt. But i understand what you mean.

Yeah, I'm sure it wasn't your intention. People here chose to turn it into something more than it is.

Yeah, I'm sure it wasn't your intention. People here chose to turn it into something more than it is.

I just think it's funny how some people here are so quick to point the audism finger, but then when the tables are reversed, it's just "a joke" or "funny" or "turning it into something more than it is."

Oh well. I guess you'll only see what you want to see and then just label those you don't agree with as troublemakers or overreacting, spoiling your thread, etc. whatever.

I just think it's funny how some people here are so quick to point the audism finger, but then when the tables are reversed, it's just "a joke" or "funny" or "turning it into something more than it is."

Oh well. I guess you'll only see what you want to see and then just label those you don't agree with as troublemakers or overreacting, spoiling your thread, etc. whatever.

You have me confused with somebody else. I just don't care.

alex

in case you wonder, ASL is what I use everyday because it is quick and easy communication. I used SEE or Oral. They both were slow paced on the modes of communication for me. So that shirt does make sense to me. It is part of bringing some humors in the deaf community.

Alex,

even with oralism, if I were to describe a scene of an accident with all the details, it would take longer to describe it than if I were to do the same with ASL. It is because English requires the person to speak each word while in ASL, one sign can mean 2 to 4 words with the classifiers.

So, yea it is true in a way in some situations. The shirt doesnt say that ASL is better than the other two..just faster and it was a funny way to show it.

alex

shel90 explained it even better than what I gave my post here.

In which case, it would be clearly obvious to any fluent ASL user that ASL is the most efficient language. Which brings me back to my original post.

The reason I object to this is you are actually contributing to the issues we are having.

That is making outsiders seeing that "People are fine with SEE" or such. Then they all continue using SEE.

If we all as a collective group agree and SHOW everyone that ASL is the way to go, there won't be hundred of thousands kids suffering in schools nationwide.

alex

in case you wonder, ASL is what I use everyday because it is quick and easy communication. I used SEE or Oral. They both were slow paced on the modes of communication for me. So that shirt does make sense to me. It is part of bringing some humors in the deaf community.

So when you became Deaf - this shirt made sense?

The reason I object to this is you are actually contributing to the issues we are having.

That is making outsiders seeing that "People are fine with SEE" or such. Then they all continue using SEE.

If we all as a collective group agree and SHOW everyone that ASL is the way to go, there won't be hundred of thousands kids suffering in schools nationwide.

Now I remember who you remind me of: Senator Joe McCarthy.

alex

Alex,

even with oralism, if I were to describe a scene of an accident with all the details, it would take longer to describe it than if I were to do the same with ASL. It is because English requires the person to speak each word while in ASL, one sign can mean 2 to 4 words with the classifiers.

So, yea it is true in a way in some situations. The shirt doesnt say that ASL is better than the other two..just faster and it was a funny way to show it.

Both of you are my friends, so try not to take this the wrong way, but, please don't tell me basic things about ASL that I already know. Anyone who uses ASL everyday, as I do, knows what you just told me. I'm trying to get you to look beyond the simple comparison from your own perspective and see the damage that any sort of vaunted linguistic superiority causes. I'll leave it at that.

Both of you are my friends, so try not to take this the wrong way, but, please don't tell me basic things about ASL that I already know. Anyone who uses ASL everyday, as I do, knows what you just told me. I'm trying to get you to look beyond the simple comparison from your own perspective and see the damage that any sort of vaunted linguistic superiority causes. I'll leave it at that.

Ok. .

all of us are different in our approach to bringing up with ASL.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back