Ask Malfoyish ANYTHING you wish...

Steel said:
yes. boring as shit! :zzz:

:rofl: naw, your okay so anyway Malfoyish, how long has you been married and what is your experience with the two worlds from hearing and deafness?
and How you get used to the fact that your deaf, and other people are so damned nervous, as they are almost pissing their pants like they never seen another person before, because of your deafness, don't really talk to you much and stuff? Just wondering.

Been married three years. Three wonderful years with the most wonderful man in the world. :) I might be biased though, but my husband has been there for me through thick and thin and he's my world.

I was raised oral, so my mindset was more so "hearing" than deaf even though I wore hearing aids since I was six months old. It's never been easy, and even though I have a colossal mouth and speak much, much, much more than I sign, I STILL didn't quite belong amongst hearing crowds. It's not that I was in any way shunned, but I still think they felt uncomfortable trying to "remember" that they had to look at me when they spoke, or that they needed to tap my shoulder to get my attention (or throw things, whatever seemed more appropriate at the time, LMFAO) or slow down their speech. As for the deaf community, I didn't know sign until I was in college. I knew my ABC's and a few basics but hardly enough to get through a decent conversation. It was hard...very hard. It still is!! But I AM trying to brush up on my signing skills by occasionally signing to myself during the day.

How do I deal with idiots? I guess I respond to them in the manner they ask me...for example, if they're going to over-enunciate their words, then I'll do the same...unless they do have the decency to say "Is my speech too fast, or can you understand me all right?" THEN, I would be more receptive to their attempts to communicate. I don't really have many people who ignore me because I'm deaf, but more so because they think I wouldn't be able to hear them. But usually, it's me who approaches someone (a bowling pal or whatnot,) and will strike up a conversation. I don't mind doing that, if it puts someone at ease in some way. :)

Hope that covers it. :)

Saline Eyes said:
First off, if this isn't a subject you want to go into detail about, I understand and apologize in advance if that's the case. I have been considering initiating the process of getting a cochlear implant and was wondering in general what your impression of the nucleus 24 is and if you prefer what you were able to hear with hearing aids over the cochlear... Right now I don't even know if I'm a candidate, but believe I am. I've spoken with someone locally who was implanted as an adult, but their hearing loss was quite different from mine, and I'm looking for input from someone who has a few more parallels to my own situation. Any input would be greatly appreciated!

Saline Eyes,

I was having trouble with this topic because I wasn't happy with how things worked out. Originally, when I decided to go for re-implantation, it was my decision to go ahead with the Nucleus 24 model. This was the model they showed me in their office. However, just a couple of weeks after surgery, I received a phone call from someone in their office asking me to call back in regards to ordering hardware for my new Advanced Bionics that they put in on 3/29th. Of course, I'm like, :wtf: because I thought I was getting a different brand all together. NOW they want to tell me that they put the wrong one in?????? Oh, god. I was FURIOUS, to say the least.

I went back and forth with these people...and as it turns out, there WAS a misunderstanding on their part as to which one I wanted. Even though this was the case, I later found out that I would not have had a choice in which model I wanted, anyway. The reason for this is because Advanced Bionics was paying for the removal of the spacer (positioner) that was used with the first implant, and since there was a definite possibility of the electrodes breaking during surgery, they had a new model waiting on the side to be put in as a replacement. If I had gone with the Nucleus, they would have had to pay for it because of some mumbo-jumbo with insurances/policy/whatever.

I'm not sure if they told me this to ease my mind, but it does make sense. But I don't have a Nucleus. I now have an Advanced Bionics Auria. My surgeon also gave me this tidbit that may or may not help you - but apparently, AB bought the rights to model their newest implants and devices after the Nucleus. The hardware is VERY similar. He promises me that I would NOT do any better with the Nucleus than I would with the AB model.

About you, my friend...if you truly want a CI, then I do support you 110%! There IS a huge adjustment period, whether you go with the Nucleus or the AB. The sounds are COMPLETELY different, too. It is basically your re-learning EVERYTHING that you have ever heard with hearing aids. You will probably not like the CI right away. At first, it does sound very foreign and dissonant because your brain is "hearing" things that it never has, before. It's been two years for me and I'm just now starting to be able to identify sounds I've gotten used to. There's a lot of training involved, and a lot of hard work that takes extreme dedication. It also depends on whether or not you have heard before...and definitely the amount of hearing loss you have. But hey, I would be more than happy to answer any more specific questions about my experiences with my CI...feel free to ask anytime. :)

HUGS and good luck. :) Keep me posted!!!

Miss-Delectable said:
Hello Malfoyish,
We haven't met yet. But I have seen your postings and I enjoyed reading it. You sounds like a cool person. Regarding CI, I don't reject people just because they chose to have it. I accept it and my friend had one as well.

Erm, thinking of a question or more :)
I think I saw in your posting something about moving out of NY?

If so, then why do you want to move out of New York?

If you have a choice. Which state would you choose to live and why?

What's your favourite location in NYC?

DO you like shopping? ;)

Do you know many deaf people? I mean in real life, not online :)

I think that's all for now.

Take care and continue on posting! :D

HI there, Miss Delectable. Nice handle, by the way. It's got a nice ring to it!!! :lol: Sure is nice to hear from people. How are you enjoying AllDeaf?

Here's some answers for ya.

I did say I would eventually move out of NYC, but if I did, it would probably be because of my husband's relocating for work. I'm a city girl and have lived in urban settings for pretty much my entire life. If I had a choice as to where we moved, I suppose I would say anywhere where there's a minimal of traffic, noise, crazy people and rabid animals. :lol: Of course, a lot of grass and pretty trees would be a must as well because I LIKE greenery a lot more than I do concrete. NYC has PLLLLLEEENNNTYYY of that, too!! Air is polluted, people are absolutely rude at times, and sometimes they just WALK into you without as much as mumbling an "excuse me!" Hmmmph. LOL. I'm not like that though, in case you were wondering. I do try to be as polite as possible. But when someone gets on my nerves... :::shaking head:::...but ah, my husband would LOVE to return to his home state, which is Oregon. That might not be until much later down the road though since we have NO plans to move anytime soon.

Lesseeee - fave location in NYC - probably Central Park. Every time we've gone there, it's been nice. (Or maybe it's because we've been there on pleasant weather-days??) But ah, we've got a zoo, boat rentals, things like that...and I also like watching people walk or cycle or skate past...got a little analyzing game I play - "Who's that person? What are they like? What pisses them off the most?" LOL. I know, I know. I MUST find better things to do with my free time. :) I don't go there too often though since I don't live anywhere near it.

I do like to shop, but I never have much money to spend. I do like to window shop though, just to get a rough idea of things I'd like to give as gifts or even add to my house in the future when we DO have the extra green!

Nope, I don't have many deaf friends. I grew up in a predominantly mainstreamed community. I did have some buddies who were deaf and hard of hearing while I was in school but most of my friends were hearing. I did meet a few close buds who are deaf at WGD97, and I still keep in touch with a few of them. This summer, I plan to meet the Doublemint Twins and Roadrunner...and I've met gnarlydorkette and her boyfriend last month. The main reason for not having many deaf friends, I think, is because I didn't know enough sign language to hold a decent conversation with 'em...and I'm still quite rusty even though I learned a great deal while in college. But hey, I'm making progress as far as making friends, aren't I? ;)

Thanks for askin'! Catch you on MSN soon. :)

hmm... i was also thinking of geting CI myself. I have been researching it for almost 2 years and yet. now i have to find a clinic to see if i'm canidate for it or not.. i had already filled the funds and insurance for it.

and umm.. myself, i wasn't born deaf. but i become serve to profound deaf when i'm 11 years old however that isn't the begin.. the begin was when i was 2 years old where i got menigits. and the hearing goes down years and years till i'm 11 years old.

However, my brain had heard sounds for around 4 or 5 years from birth till 4 or 5 yrs old.

i'm curious how to start.. i know there's 2 good places in minnesota is University of Minnesota or Mayo clinic. i'm not sure which i should choose also i'm not sure which model i should pick. its hard... U think it will help me? since hearing aids do nothing for me.. all i can hear is things around me with hearing aids but wasn't clear.. since my hair cells in cochlea is gone..

Nice answers! I have enjoyed reading them, Malfy... you ARE quite the writer. ;)

What are the best jokes you have ever heard? If you can't remember any right off the tip of your tongue, how about a favorite bedtime story or any type of story that you have read? Ex - myth, legend, fiction, nonfiction, etc. You may mention as many as you want to!

Malfoyish said:
HI there, Miss Delectable. Nice handle, by the way. It's got a nice ring to it!!! :lol: Sure is nice to hear from people. How are you enjoying AllDeaf?

Here's some answers for ya.

I did say I would eventually move out of NYC, but if I did, it would probably be because of my husband's relocating for work. I'm a city girl and have lived in urban settings for pretty much my entire life. If I had a choice as to where we moved, I suppose I would say anywhere where there's a minimal of traffic, noise, crazy people and rabid animals. :lol: Of course, a lot of grass and pretty trees would be a must as well because I LIKE greenery a lot more than I do concrete. NYC has PLLLLLEEENNNTYYY of that, too!! Air is polluted, people are absolutely rude at times, and sometimes they just WALK into you without as much as mumbling an "excuse me!" Hmmmph. LOL. I'm not like that though, in case you were wondering. I do try to be as polite as possible. But when someone gets on my nerves... :::shaking head:::...but ah, my husband would LOVE to return to his home state, which is Oregon. That might not be until much later down the road though since we have NO plans to move anytime soon.

Lesseeee - fave location in NYC - probably Central Park. Every time we've gone there, it's been nice. (Or maybe it's because we've been there on pleasant weather-days??) But ah, we've got a zoo, boat rentals, things like that...and I also like watching people walk or cycle or skate past...got a little analyzing game I play - "Who's that person? What are they like? What pisses them off the most?" LOL. I know, I know. I MUST find better things to do with my free time. :) I don't go there too often though since I don't live anywhere near it.

I do like to shop, but I never have much money to spend. I do like to window shop though, just to get a rough idea of things I'd like to give as gifts or even add to my house in the future when we DO have the extra green!

Nope, I don't have many deaf friends. I grew up in a predominantly mainstreamed community. I did have some buddies who were deaf and hard of hearing while I was in school but most of my friends were hearing. I did meet a few close buds who are deaf at WGD97, and I still keep in touch with a few of them. This summer, I plan to meet the Doublemint Twins and Roadrunner...and I've met gnarlydorkette and her boyfriend last month. The main reason for not having many deaf friends, I think, is because I didn't know enough sign language to hold a decent conversation with 'em...and I'm still quite rusty even though I learned a great deal while in college. But hey, I'm making progress as far as making friends, aren't I? ;)

Thanks for askin'! Catch you on MSN soon. :)

Hi again.
Yes, I'm quite enjoying my time at alldeaf. It is fun putting in my two cents! :D
Thanks for the compliment regarding my handle.

Oregon sounds like a quaint state much like Washington from what I have heard. So methink you'll like it because of all the greenery there!

NYC sounds like a great city to visit despite the appalling manners of the New Yorkers! I hope to visit there next year.

See you on MSN soon.

Cheerio :wave:

DeafSCUBA98 said:
hmm... i was also thinking of geting CI myself. I have been researching it for almost 2 years and yet. now i have to find a clinic to see if i'm canidate for it or not.. i had already filled the funds and insurance for it.

and umm.. myself, i wasn't born deaf. but i become serve to profound deaf when i'm 11 years old however that isn't the begin.. the begin was when i was 2 years old where i got menigits. and the hearing goes down years and years till i'm 11 years old.

However, my brain had heard sounds for around 4 or 5 years from birth till 4 or 5 yrs old.

i'm curious how to start.. i know there's 2 good places in minnesota is University of Minnesota or Mayo clinic. i'm not sure which i should choose also i'm not sure which model i should pick. its hard... U think it will help me? since hearing aids do nothing for me.. all i can hear is things around me with hearing aids but wasn't clear.. since my hair cells in cochlea is gone..

Hi Scuba!

Well, it is a good idea to get as many opinions you can from as many clinics as you wish. One place may tell you one thing and another might say something else. If you can't hear as much as you'd like with hearing aids, and you truly WANT to get the CI, then it really does not hurt to investigate it further. Thing is, your brain HAS heard some sounds, so even if you were completely deaf since you were 11 years old, you might still be able to adjust to a CI a bit easier. Me personally - I was BORN deaf and never heard ANYTHING without the help of hearing aids. So after 23 years of learning what certain things "sounded" like with hearing aids, I had to start from scratch. It was tough!! But Eric, (I do think that's your name, right?) if you are truly not satisfied with your HA's and CI is something you want to do, then it's worth looking into. It's been hard in the beginning for me but adjustment IS different for everyone. You may have an easier go of it because you had some hearing for some part of your life. Just keep in mind that once you get CI, there is NO turning back to hearing aids. They tamper with nerves to put the implant in, and in turn, hearing aids would no longer be effective in the implanted ear. (They only implant one side normally, but I've heard of some people having both sides done, too. Personally, one is satisfying enough for me.) You could wear your hearing aid in the other ear if you desired. :) Hope this helps! You have my complete support, no matter which road you choose.

Just wondering - meningitis at 2 years old - spinal meningitis? I had bacterial meningitis in January of this year. Must have been so scary for your parents!! I am hoping that you don't remember anything about having meningitis. It was the worst three weeks of my life!

Give little Sean a hug!

Liza said:
Nice answers! I have enjoyed reading them, Malfy... you ARE quite the writer. ;)

What are the best jokes you have ever heard? If you can't remember any right off the tip of your tongue, how about a favorite bedtime story or any type of story that you have read? Ex - myth, legend, fiction, nonfiction, etc. You may mention as many as you want to!

Liza! :wave:

Hahaha...jokes? I've heard so many of 'em but ah, honestly can't remember a really GOOD one that's made me (really) laugh. But stories - HMMM. I do remember hearing the story of "The Princess and the Pea" when I was a kid...it's not a "common" faerie tale, like Hansel and Gretel or some of the more popular Aesop's Fables. I liked it...I'm also fond of "Rumplestiltskin." As many of you already know also, I'm a huge Harry Potter fan. Normally, I'm not into fantasy, and I do believe Harry Potter books fall into that category...but dang, some people have TALENT. JK Rowling is one amazing author and I truly idolize her for the incredible work she's done. Did ya know that she got the idea from a bedtime story she made up for her own child? Then, she took it from there and went with it...now look at the worldwide recognition she's gotten. :) How awesome. She was a single mother at the time and I'm so happy things have gotten better for her. I believe she got married now and has another child...

But ah, for as long as I could remember, I've been WRITING stories...trying to put my somewhat overactive imagination to work. I'm definitely no Rowling, and I'm not sure I could ever write anything other than fiction, and maybe some romance, maybe even drama, or childrens' books. Poetry is definitley not my forte, nor is fantasy or mythical-type stories. ;) I'd like to think that my own work has as much effect on someone as a book so well written as the HP books or even anything by VC Andrews or Stephen King.

I know ya asked me for a story or joke I might have heard that still remember - and ah, it's a toughie!!!! It's only 10:15 in the morning and I haven't fully awakened, yet. LOL. But I WILL come back to this if I think of something...pinky promise!

Hugs!

Miss-Delectable said:
NYC sounds like a great city to visit despite the appalling manners of the New Yorkers! I hope to visit there next year.

You betcha! There IS quite a bit to see. You kind of never run out of things to do in this city. But hey! Hope you'll plan to stop in for a bowl of spaghetti and some laughs while you're in town. :)

Gatorboy00 said:
Do you love me? :D

:::blink::: Uhhhh....nope. :) Sorry!!!

I WILL tell you what I love though....

My husband Coffeeeeman - the love of my life
My three kids
My two cats
My dog (yeah, even the little shit)
My immediate family and extended family
My friends (you know who you are!)
My house
Strawberries
Coffeeeeman's milkshakes/smoothies/frappes, whatever he calls 'em!
Reading a good book under the covers
Watching rented movies with a nice bowl of lite popcorn
Red Lobster dinners
Taking pictures
Writing, writing, writing
Meeting new people, making new friends.

...and a few other things that I'll leave to people's imaginations. :lol:

(Hey, people? Behave! LOL.)

Malfoyish said:
Liza! :wave:

Hahaha...jokes? I've heard so many of 'em but ah, honestly can't remember a really GOOD one that's made me (really) laugh. But stories - HMMM. I do remember hearing the story of "The Princess and the Pea" when I was a kid...it's not a "common" faerie tale, like Hansel and Gretel or some of the more popular Aesop's Fables. I liked it...I'm also fond of "Rumplestiltskin." As many of you already know also, I'm a huge Harry Potter fan. Normally, I'm not into fantasy, and I do believe Harry Potter books fall into that category...but dang, some people have TALENT. JK Rowling is one amazing author and I truly idolize her for the incredible work she's done. Did ya know that she got the idea from a bedtime story she made up for her own child? Then, she took it from there and went with it...now look at the worldwide recognition she's gotten. :) How awesome. She was a single mother at the time and I'm so happy things have gotten better for her. I believe she got married now and has another child...

But ah, for as long as I could remember, I've been WRITING stories...trying to put my somewhat overactive imagination to work. I'm definitely no Rowling, and I'm not sure I could ever write anything other than fiction, and maybe some romance, maybe even drama, or childrens' books. Poetry is definitley not my forte, nor is fantasy or mythical-type stories. ;) I'd like to think that my own work has as much effect on someone as a book so well written as the HP books or even anything by VC Andrews or Stephen King.

I know ya asked me for a story or joke I might have heard that still remember - and ah, it's a toughie!!!! It's only 10:15 in the morning and I haven't fully awakened, yet. LOL. But I WILL come back to this if I think of something...pinky promise!

Hugs!

*hugs* pinky it is then :)
Take yer time though! haha

I like Harry Potter, too - in fact, at the fair earlier this evening - the nephew and niece went into this Harry Potter themed "funhouse" LOL They took me and Imp with them, too. *shivers* Nahttt.... it was funny though. Ever been to one of those things (funhouse)?

Been into a fun house? Oh, yeah. I remember being scared out of my skin in one of those - Dad took me through one of those walk-thru haunted houses...had these grotesque scenes that we would see at the turn of every corner. Golly, as if that wasn't enough...they had some dude jumping out of dark spaces at the end, dressed as the Grim Reaper.

That HP one sounds mongo awesome, though. Gotta give that a try!!!!! Any of those in the states?

Hey There Sis..*Hugs*

I enjoy reading your Posts.. Some of them are Humors.

When you First became a member of AllDeaf, I had so Much Good Conversation with you I enjoyed every Minute of it. and Finally got to meet your Husband On Line/webcamering What a Guy! I Don't have any questions but I wanted to tell you how Special you are to me and I value our Friendship. You're a bright person with a great heart. Don't ever change who you are. :ily: *Hugs*

If you won the lottery, which of the following would you be most likely to spend the money on:

A.) Having more children.

B.) Adopting pet chimpanzees.

Please explain your answer in detail.

Levonian said:
If you won the lottery, which of the following would you be most likely to spend the money on:

A.) Having more children.

B.) Adopting pet chimpanzees.

Please explain your answer in detail.

As long as she's married to me, Lottery or no lottery I can safely say NO
to Having more children.

and no to pet chimpanzees, Already have a mother in law.

I have a few questions for you, but for now, am going to ask if you have any idea or anticipation when the book you are currently working on now will be done and when you'll submit it to a publisher? Besides, getting this book 'out' sure will do away with any chance of winning a lottery! :lol:

coffeeeeman said:

OK Bubba, lemme rephrase that: adopting little baby ORPHAN chimpanzees with big sad saucer shaped eyes who are all alone in the world and have no Mommy or Daddy chimpanzee to look after them. :mad2:

coffeeeeman said:

Roflmao!!! Coffeeeman, you kill me everytime. :laugh2:

Back