Anyone own a gun?

Tousi said:
That's why I mentioned a "snake charmer" in an earlier post for in-home, close quarters type situations for those of us with not-so-steely-nerves. A "snake charmer".....I don't know if they still manufacture them but I remember seeing them back in the mid 70's. It was made of a composite material, barrel sawed off...a single shot 410 typically used by people on horseback, hikers, etc for protection against rattlers. Ya just gotta remember, for an in-house scenario, you have just one shot. Of course, if the situation allows, one could fire the round into a wall or the ceiling and then quickly chamber another shell.......
I was not familiar with the Snake Charmer, so I looked it up.

http://www.snake-charmer.net/pages_us/iii_technical.htm

Very neat! Sounds very useful. Only about $145. Even shorter than my Rossi. (Snake Charmer 28", Rossi 36")

You had me worried for a minute. When you said, "barrel sawed off"--that is not legal. The Snake Charmer model is just made with a shorter barrel but still within legal limits. Now I understand. :)

I used to have a small bb handgun as a Gift.
I actually prefer smaller hanguns for
for safety/protection at home.
I've tried a rifle a few times
near my home area for sporting (trap shooting
was fun)

Reba said:
It can hold maybe 5-10 rounds, but it is semi-auto, so you can only shoot one-at-a-time. The military can use auto mode, with a belt clip. But think of the cost! I haven't priced .50s but they must be mucho expensive.

Also, it is so heavy you have to always use the bi-pod or have it mounted on a vehicle or something stationery.

Not exactly good for home defense, unless you see the intruder approaching your house about three blocks away, ha, ha.

I agree, too expensive just to have as impressive decoration.
Ah, I misunderstand your other post by then. I am not sure what that 'single-shot' term means until now.

Yes, it is not exactly good for home defense but as I said in other post about 'Extreme situations require extreme responses'. I have to be prepare for worse in the future. Out of curious, can I get the bi-pod from retailer stores if I end up use my stupidity to buy that rifle?

Reba said:
Most civilians should never attempt that kind of shooting. Unless you have been professionally trained for this kind of situation, you should not even attempt it. It requires skill, the element of surprise, and very calm nerves. Most shooters are taught to aim for the largest body mass, that is the trunk area, not the head. Heads are a difficult target, especially a head that is partially hidden by a loved one's head. Professional "snipers" are usually positioned somewhere out of sight of the hostage-taker, for that element of surprise. They are not in a face-to-face stare-down with him. If your loved one is in danger, you are probably full of adrenalin pumping and very nervous. Not a good condition for a shooter. The lighting in the room might be dark. You do not know if the bad guy has a friend hiding, waiting for you.

Most hostage response teams emphasize negotiation and stealth, rather than shoot-outs (last resort). Sometimes you are stuck in a "last resort" situation, but just make sure you have tried all other options first. You don't want to kill your loved one.

Ask your mentor friend about that scenario.

I like having a handgun and shotgun for home defense. Our master bedroom is upstairs. A night-time intruder has to come up those stairs. That puts him in a confined, undefensible position. If he sees the muzzle of a shotgun poking around the corner at him, he probably won't come any further.

In closer quarters, the handgun is better. For concealed carry, obviously smaller handguns are better.
I now can see the point to have the shotgun... Since it isn't that expensive like CZ75 so I think it is ok for me to get one for myself. About mentor, yeah I plan to. That's what I am up to right now, I mean keep the tabs on this topic to collect the informations for me to ask more questions this weekend (that's when I will see that mentor again).

I didn't research on shotguns close enough... do you have any suggest which best to get?

i forgot to mention that someday
I would like to buy a smaller hanguns
especially the ones WITH Laser pointer.
One of my friend's husband happen to be
a city cop and he showed me his own police
revolver with laser pointer, Wow !
That's the type of handgun I'd prefer,
but I forgot the brand name.

:jaw: All what I see in your thread that you own gun except Cheri and Malyosich. I´m with Cheri and Malyosich. :shock: :ugh2:

I never see real gun in my life until I work for US army caserne at 20 years ago. Solider let me touch his gun once... :ohno:

On our car:

Attachments

• DECAL.jpg
    DECAL.jpg
    185.4 KB · Views: 16
Liebling:-))) said:
All what I see in your thread that you own gun except Cheri and Malyosich. I´m with Cheri and Malyosich.

Cheri, Malfoyish and Liebling: C’mon guys—please go back and read Taylor’s first post in this thread. He very specifically and courteously asked that nobody hijack his thread with pro-gun/anti-gun debate. This is a ‘show us yer guns’ thread, nothing more. It is for gun nuts only. ;) If you want to debate the moral issues involved with gun ownership, you can dredge up LUNZ’s old thread on the subject.

Reba,
Very, very nice collection. I fear for the guy who attempts to break into your house ;)

All what I see in your thread that you own gun except Cheri and Malyosich. I´m with Cheri and Malyosich.
I never see real gun in my life until I work for US army caserne at 20 years ago. Solider let me touch his gun once...

You would be surprised at the amount of people that own firearms. Many people do not speak about it...after all, you don't always want someone to know you have guns in the house. In a forum such as this, people remain a little more anonymous and will talk freely about their collections. I was actually surprised at the number of responses this thread received, and by the number of people who own guns.

Nope. Never will in my lifetime.

I'm very scared to be a criminal if I accidentally shoot someone with no intention of killing anyone. You know the law enforcements and courts usually don't buy it and you'll suffer waiting and waiting during the trials and then probably ended up in the jail. So, no thanks.

Thats fine too. Some people choose not to own them...just as some people choose not to have a car or the internet (or whatever else you can think of). Some people are uncomfortable, especially if there are children in the house.
As for accidentally shooting someone, there are ways around that. First, if your even thinking about owning a gun, I'd recommend a safety course. Most states (if not all) have classes you can take. Some from gun clubs, or some are even sanctioned by the states themselves. In my area, we have weekly classes offered by the local governments...in most cases, its by the sheriffs department or state police.

Second, gun accidents only happen because people let them happen. For example, treat every gun as if its loaded. Even if you know its unloaded, still assume that it is. Never, ever point a gun at somebody unless you are actually planning on shooting that person. Many people wave 'unloaded' guns around and point them at people. Thats an accident waiting to happen. If your cleaning your gun, don't do it at the kitchen table where the family is sitting down nearby.

Many gun owners that I've spoken to have told me they never had the intent on firing it at all. Its to provide a means to protect your family and not a toy. Most people hope that they never have to fire a gun, let alone to shoot an intruder. While some may never shoot them, others will go the range frequently. Its all a matter of choice. In my opinion its an easy choice when it comes to family vs intruder. Just like a car or any other tool, it takes proper training and use...and needs to be used/handled properly.

As for those who think they can shoot an intruder while they are holding a loved one hostage, take the advice that was given here. Would you put an apple on your wife's head to see if you can shoot it off? Same goes with someone that is in close proximity to your loved ones. One of the points of gun ownership and protection is to take the guy out before he can put his hands on your wife ;)

Reba,
About your Tomcat (the more I look, the more I like). Is it a comfortable gun to shoot? Would you recommend it as a secondary weapon. Also, I've never held/used a Tomcat. Is it small enough to conceal on the waistband under a shirt or on the ankle? While police carry weapons on the outside while on duty, most agencies allow officers to carry off-duty (for obvious reasons). An off-duty weapon needs to be practical to carry. Anyhow, any thoughts on that type of usage for the Tomcat?

I would like to buy a hand gun for my protection on my horse farm.

The problem if you had to pull off the road when the police caught you passing the red light or overspeed... I am sure that the police will look up the database to see if you have a gun. It does not matter if you leave your gun at home. It might get worst. Some police are not too bright and like to hurt people. (Actually, my retired boss was a cop for 30 years, and he enjoyed beating some people when he had a drinking problem. He finally stopped drinking before he retired.)

Another thing, some of you guys have seen on a cop show on TV. Can you imagine that the police treat people badly? They have no mortal. They think that they are just a bunch of frat group to help each other. Now, the issue about owning a gun. How will you protect yourself from that situation?

Taylor said:
About your Tomcat ... Is it a comfortable gun to shoot?
Yes. It is perfect for self protection. It is not so good for target shooting at the range. It is very light weight, which is excellant for conceal carry, but it is too light in the barrel for target accuracy. You can easily hit a bad guy's chest with it, but it is a little harder to get target bullseyes.

Would you recommend it as a secondary weapon.
Yes.

Is it small enough to conceal on the waistband under a shirt or on the ankle?
Yes, it will fit all positions. My hubby says it is very comfortable when he wears it on the inside of his waistband.

While police carry weapons on the outside while on duty, most agencies allow officers to carry off-duty (for obvious reasons). An off-duty weapon needs to be practical to carry. Anyhow, any thoughts on that type of usage for the Tomcat?
A police officer is a better judge of that than I am.

One nice feature of the Tomcat is the flip-up barrel. It allows you to put one round in the chamber without using the slide.

About the ammo. Any name brand .32 ammo from Walmart is good for cheap target practice. We use one magazine for that. We keep the expensive COR-BON self-defense loads in another magazine for conceal use. Speer brand is another good choice for self-defense (also expensive).

If you can go to a gun shop and try one out, that is the best way to know how it feels to you. Gun choice is very personal.

Reba,
Thanks for all the information. Next weekend, I'm off to see some folks in Virginia. There is a nice range not far from them. I'm going to make a point to stop in and test fire a few rounds. I'm hoping they have the Tomcat in stock and available to test. I'll let you know how that goes. I have a feeling that I will like it ;)

The problem if you had to pull off the road when the police caught you passing the red light or overspeed... I am sure that the police will look up the database to see if you have a gun. It does not matter if you leave your gun at home. It might get worst. Some police are not too bright and like to hurt people. (Actually, my retired boss was a cop for 30 years, and he enjoyed beating some people when he had a drinking problem. He finally stopped drinking before he retired.)

Another thing, some of you guys have seen on a cop show on TV. Can you imagine that the police treat people badly? They have no mortal. They think that they are just a bunch of frat group to help each other. Now, the issue about owning a gun. How will you protect yourself from that situation?

Hmmm...The first time I've ever been told I have no mortal (did you mean morals?). I was never in any frat groups...glad to see that I'm classified as being in one now.

To answer your questions, most cops will not know if you have a weapon or not. There isn't a super computer our cars are connected to that tells us you own a .38 and your blood type is AB. Officers watch very closely and will know you are reaching for something before you've even thought about reaching under the seat. Those types of movements will get you hurt.

Generally they will already know if your a valid driver (if your the registered owner of the vehicle). If that is the case, they will also know if you have any warrants on you. If so, are the warrants of a violent nature (attempted murder, assault, assaulting a police officer, carrying of an illegal firearm). If you have a warrant out for your arrest for carrying a gun, then the officer may assume that you may have one on your possession.

What you see on cops is far from the truth (as real as it looks). You take a swing at me, it is quickly obvious that you are intending to do me harm. That means I will take a swing at you, possibly with a baton. Perhaps a little pepper spray until you learn your manners and stop swinging at me.

In my entire life, I have never seen officers just pull somebody out of a car and beat them for no reason. Heck, even Rodney King wasn't yanked out of his car for no reason. He was fighting with officers. If he had just followed simple commands, the whole thing would not have escalated. The officers in that case took it too far, but Rodney King wasn't like 'Hi Guys...How are you tonight?' and then got the crap beat out of him.

I know in my city, it would be impossible to get away with anything even if someone were to try. I watched a woman get in an officers face, call him every name in the book (and his mother too). She would have made a sailor blush. She walks away and about 20 feet from the officers, she trips on a step and falls. Not a terrible fall...just your average trip. The officer she had just called every name in the book to cracks a smile. Not a boisterous laugh...not even a laugh. He just smiled. Wouldn't have even noticed if you weren't looking at him. That officer was written up.

Was it funny to watch? Yes. Was is unprofessional of him? Yes.... An officer can't smile at someone without being written up. People see things all the time. They wouldn't miss an officer pulling someone out of a car and beating him for no reason. When you see someone getting taken to the ground, its because they either struck (or tried to strike) an officer or they resisted while they were being arrested. Even when someone is arrested, they aren't beaten sensless. Usually its 'swarming' where the group gets ahold of the guy so they can get him cuffed.

A few things to note that will keep you from getting into trouble. Never reach under your seat or other area of your car. This will certainly get an officers attention. You are either hiding something illegal or reaching for a weapon. This could get you yanked out of your car.

When an officer pulls you over, turn on your blinker and pull of to the side. Roll your window completely down. Turn your ignition OFF. Put both of your hands on wheel where he can see them before he approaches you. When he comes up to your window, look him in the eye. If you are deaf, point to your ear and indicate that you are deaf. Don't go fumbling for a pad and paper to write him a note to tell him your deaf. Pointing at your ear and indicating your deaf will be sufficient. If later on you wish to write him something, indicate that you want to right. Usually holding your left hand flat (like it were a pad) and taking your right hand pretending you have a pen and writing on the pad, the officer should get what you mean.

Remember to keep those hands on the wheel. Don't get fidgety and move around alot. For someone who doesn't frequently get pulled over, it can be a nervous experience and its OK to be nervous. Just don't fidget and make the officer nervous. Its also OK to tell them that this is your first time getting stopped and your nervous (but it better be your first time...they can tell if you have past tickets and lying isn't a good way to get out of a ticket.

Always indicate what your intentions are. If he asks you for your license, indicate that its in your back pocket before you go reaching. When he asks for your registration, tell him its in your glove box before you lean over. Indicate your intentions before you reach. Its also OK to say 'Let me get that out of my glove box'. You don't have to be robotic or anything. Just as long as he knows you are about to reach into your box even though he just asked your for the registration. Also be concious that he/she is watching your every move. If you lean over to your glove box, try not to block their view. I've seen people completely twist so their back is facing door. They are trying to block the officer from seeing that marijuana pipe they threw in the glove box ;) Typically it won't be a problem if you are still in the seating position as if you were driving. Keep your ass where it is on the seat and lean over.

Also, never ever argue with the officer. An argument with an officer is something you will not win. If he says you ran a red light and you didn't, don't argue with him. Its OK to indicate you disagree, but don't argue. In most states, signing the ticket is not an admission of guilt. All the ticket means is that you had a little chit-chat with the officer on the side of the road. The place to argue your innocence is in court. If you are unsure about what your signing, ask the officer. 'Is signing this this ticket and admission of guilt?' Fighting tickets is for the courtroom and not on the shoulder of the road.

Anyhow, I think I've rambled on enough about it. I just don't think its a fair accusation that cops randomly pull people out of their cars and beat them down. You asked 'How do you handle this situation'...I've just explained it. When you follow the above rules, you give the officer no indication that you are going to be a problem. I can also assure you that the officer will be aware of what you are doing and will appreciate it. Before joing the police, I followed the above advice from a friend who was an officer. Because of my actions, I got out of more tickets than I received. It can't hurt your chances of getting out of a ticket by being nice. Even if the cop is a real prick, 'kill'em with kindness' works wonders'.

I just wanted to tell you that I took a skeet & trap class at RIT in 1990. It was my very first time to learn how to use a rifle. I never knew that it was heavy.

Actually, I first shot and hit an orange 'plastic' sauce in the air without missing it. I bet that most beginners would have missed it first. Unfortaunately, I received C in my report, and I do not know what was going on with my teacher. I was very nice to my classmates. I believe that I should have gotten B or A because of my skills.

I was told that I do not need an intepreter for my class, and I guess that he was a real bitch. Perhaps, my teacher never met any deaf people. Funny, most of my classmates were ROTC, and I am not one of them. Of course, they don't wear army clothes.

Sorry, this is not the right place for me to post this section. But, I am just wondering if you ever went to RIT and took that class... I would appreciate it if you could tell me about your experience.

webexplorer said:

The problem if you had to pull off the road when the police caught you passing the red light or overspeed... I am sure that the police will look up the database to see if you have a gun. It does not matter if you leave your gun at home.
I don't know what the gun laws are in MA, but I suspect they are stricter than the ones here in SC.

Keeping a gun on your property for protection is one thing. Carrying one in your car might have different restrictions.

I know in SC, that if I get stopped by the police, I must show my conceal carry permit/license and tell the officer whether or not I have a gun in my possession. That protects him and me. I have never been pulled over or ticketed for a traffic violation, so I that situation hasn't come up yet. However, last year I was in an auto accident. The other driver rear-ended me at a red light. When the officer came to my car and requested my driver's license, I showed him my CCP, and told him that I was not carrying a gun at that time. No problem. (The other driver looked kind of nervous though.)

In SC, anyone who is a legal gun owner can carry their weapon in their vehicle, if it is in the glove box, console, hatch, or trunk. If it is a long gun in a pickup truck rack, then it must be unloaded. A CCP is not required for carrying a gun in a vehicle.

You need to check the laws for your state.

Tousi said:
That AR-15, if I recall correctly, is a neat survival rifle, and it floats, too, right?
In the late 1950s, ArmaLite created the AR-5. It was a miniaturized version of the AR-15. It was .22 caliber. The barrel could be detached and stored in the stock. The gun weighed only 2.75 lbs. and could float. The Air Force only bought a few of them.

Our AR-15 weighs 7.33 lbs. without the magazine, scope, bi-pod, or sling. I don't think it will float. It is somewhat water-resistant, but not really water-proof.

Just to follow-up. Those links that Reba posted are a great reference. Just be sure to double check your state laws as something may have been missed. From what I've seen on the packing.org site, things look pretty current and correct.

webexplorer said:
Some police are not too bright and like to hurt people. (Actually, my retired boss was a cop for 30 years, and he enjoyed beating some people when he had a drinking problem. He finally stopped drinking before he retired.)

In my opinion, behavior like this is increasingly becoming a thing of the past. It hasn’t disappeared completely, but it is far less common than it was 20 or 30 years ago. Municipal police departments are well aware that just one small transgression on their part could easily result in a multi-million dollar judgment against the city. I’m willing to bet that most departments now employ state-of-the-art psychiatric screening to weed out the impulse disordered cowboy types. Even cops whom I’ve known who were engaged in criminal behavior were meticulously well behaved while on the job. I’ve known a lot of people who have had problems with off-duty cops, particularly when they’re under the influence of alcohol, but on-duty behavioral aberrations are just not common anymore.

Back