Anyone own a gun?

Tousi said:
Hi, Reba...
That AR-15, if I recall correctly, is a neat survival rifle, and it floats, too, right? Also your Rossi is attractive to me in that it is versatile; I'm sure it is an over/under, a great turkey gun!
We haven't tried to float the AR-15 yet, ha, ha.

Sorry, my Rossi is not an over/under. It is a "youth size" (because I am "petite") convertible gun. It has one stock and two barrels. I can quickly and easily change barrels to either .22 rifle, or single shotgun. Two for the price of one! (I like good deals.)

I don't think I have enough patience for hunting. I prefer shooting clays because it is fast. I get bored just sitting and waiting. I have to keep "busy".

I also like target shooting. I like the indoor range because they have "moving" targets. Outdoor range is nicer location though, in the woods. No comfort facilities though.

Taylor said:
That is correct. about 10 or so years ago, I came home from work one day...The police determined that I came home in the middle of the B&E and he was hiding in my roommates room the whole time....
Wow, that was a scary situation!

Taylor said:
There are a few ranges not too far from where I live but it can get to be an expensive hobby.
Practice is very important. I hope you can find an inexpensive way to get range time. Try to look around for "deals."

Example: Our outdoor range is open to the public, in a state park. Free, no cost, but no "facilities". It is a nice woodsy location, and a good place to meet other experienced shooters who are willing to help beginners.

Our indoor range is owned by the gun shop that is attached. It does cost but there are ways to get freebies. Every year the gun shop sponsors a free BBQ lunch, and a Red Cross blood drive. Anyone who donates blood gets a one-year free range membership.

Also, the shop puts coupons in the local paper about once every-other-month for a free day at the range.

Most gun shops have ranges and let you "try out" guns before purchasing. That is also a way to get some "practice" with various models. It is good to feel which kinds is best for your needs, what feels comfortable to use.

You might be able to convince a gun shop to offer free range time using it as a sales promotion, like our gun shop does. It brings in potential customers. If you can convince the owner that free range time can mean future increased business, he might go for that.

Also, our gun shops offer their facilities for NRA hunter safety classes, and state concealed carry license classes. Target shooting is included in the classes. I warn you though, the classes are not cheap.

If you have a friend who is a range member, sometimes they can bring a visitor for a free day at the range. Ask around.

Sometimes, if a group of friends plans together, you can get a "group rate" that is cheaper.

Reba,
Where I live is a little more urban so the clubs seem to be far and few between. I do have relatives that live near Front Royal, Virginia where you can find plenty of ranges and areas to shoot. Its still a lot of farm and open field out that way. That is where I generally go, but would like something a little closer. I'll have to shop around a little more as I'm sure that I'm not looking hard enough ;) There are plenty of gun owners in this area, but I'm just not sure where they are practicing.

How do you like your Beretta? The Tomcat is great for conceal:
3032_S_maxi.jpg

They are relatively affordable too. Still not 'cheap' but more affordable then many handguns.

Not to sound like a sexist, but that gun is also great for the ladies. Nice and compact. She doesn't feel like Dirty Harry when holding it. I wouldn't mind one myself.

Reba, if you don't mind me asking which state do you live in. I only ask in regards to the conceal/carry laws. Maryland is pretty tough when it comes to concealing. When I lived in Virginia, the laws were more favorable. In fact, when I went to the courthouse, the line for permits was right next to the marriage license line.

Taylor said:
Reba, if you don't mind me asking which state do you live in. I only ask in regards to the conceal/carry laws. Maryland is pretty tough when it comes to concealing. When I lived in Virginia, the laws were more favorable. In fact, when I went to the courthouse, the line for permits was right next to the marriage license line.
I live in South Carolina.

Most people here apply for their conceal carry license thru the required course held at a gun shop. They do a background check, take your fingerprints and digital photo, teach the all-day course on laws and gun safety, test your shooting skills on the range, and give you a written test. Then, a few weeks later, after the background check is done, you get the license in the mail. It looks very similar to our state driver's license.

Yes, I know every state is very different. It is a real pain in the neck when we travel. We drive thru several states, and many of them do not have reciprical recognition. That means, the other states do not accept our conceal carry license, so we have to leave the guns home.

My arsenal. All 4 handguns are Smith & Wesson. The snubby is a .38, and the other revolver is a .357. The stainless semi-auto is a .40 S & W Model 4006, and the other is a 9mm. The shotgun is a 9 round pump action Mossberg, and the AR-15 needs no introduction. My favorite is the .40 S & W. In my opinion, it is as close to the perfect handgun as has yet been developed. It holds ten in the clip and one in the chamber, is beautifully balanced, and the terminal ballistics with the Speer or Federal rounds is virtually identical to a .357 125 grain JHP. It’s like having a Desert Eagle the size of a typical security guard’s gun. It comes with with a satin matte stainless finish, so it's not reflective but still has the ease of care of stainless, and comes with tritium night sights factory installed. An absolutely beautiful piece.

Attachments

• 142_4229.jpg
    142_4229.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 28
Magatsu said:
Taylor, I believe you mentioned that you are a cop or something.. I don't remember.. anyway it is perhap that you may know about this. Am I able to buy Barrett BMG .50 caliber assault rifle? if so, is it legal?

With Barret BMG .50 caliber assault rifle, it can virtually penetrate anything or I believe so.

1bg.jpg
The single-shot version is legal to buy. It costs about $2,500-3,500. You can buy the Barrett model, or there are other companies that sell similar calibers. Barrett is best.

Reba said:
The single-shot version is legal to buy. It costs about $2,500-3,500. You can buy the Barrett model, or there are other companies that sell similar calibers. Barrett is best.
Single-shot as in single-shot rifle? That price is ridiculous for a single-shot rifle like that, I guess I will not buy Barret BMG .50 caliber assault rifle after all. I rather to have the rifle with multi-bullets magazine. Oh well, thanks for the information!

jazzy said:
I perfer shotgun over handguns.
In the past, I usually prefer shotgun over handguns until the logic floored me a while ago and changed my opinion. Let me give you a example

What if intruder grab your lover in your house as hostage and ready to shoot her/his head, how can you defend your lover with shotgun? With a handgun, it is more easy to aim and shoot the intruder with minimal damages or none on my lover. While with shotgun, you cannot do that. The shots from shotgun will be burst and hit more than just intruder included your lover if you aim and pull the trigger.

I pick the handgun for the protection reason and minimal or no damages on my lover/friends, nothing more or less than that.

Magatsu said:
What if intruder grab your lover in your house as hostage and ready to shoot her/his head, how can you defend your lover with shotgun?

What you’re saying makes sense, but bear in mind that a private citizen encountering a hostage situation is extremely improbable. In simple terms of successful home defense, which essentially amounts to greatest probability of killing the intruder with the least probability of harming anybody else, the weapon best suited to this is a multiple round pump action 12 gauge loaded with 00 buck. Granted, you’ll be patching lots of holes in the drywall, but at least you won’t kill the kids sleeping in the next room or take out your neighbor’s cat.

I am with Malfoyish on that one. I do not like guns either, and wouldn't want one in my home. :)

Well, Malfy and Cheri, it IS best to be scared of them when you know nothing about them. :D

Magatsu said:
Single-shot as in single-shot rifle?
It can hold maybe 5-10 rounds, but it is semi-auto, so you can only shoot one-at-a-time. The military can use auto mode, with a belt clip. But think of the cost! I haven't priced .50s but they must be mucho expensive.

Also, it is so heavy you have to always use the bi-pod or have it mounted on a vehicle or something stationery.

Not exactly good for home defense, unless you see the intruder approaching your house about three blocks away, ha, ha.

I agree, too expensive just to have as impressive decoration.

Magatsu said:
What if intruder grab your lover in your house as hostage and ready to shoot her/his head, how can you defend your lover with shotgun? With a handgun, it is more easy to aim and shoot the intruder with minimal damages or none on my lover. While with shotgun, you cannot do that. The shots from shotgun will be burst and hit more than just intruder included your lover if you aim and pull the trigger.
Most civilians should never attempt that kind of shooting. Unless you have been professionally trained for this kind of situation, you should not even attempt it. It requires skill, the element of surprise, and very calm nerves. Most shooters are taught to aim for the largest body mass, that is the trunk area, not the head. Heads are a difficult target, especially a head that is partially hidden by a loved one's head. Professional "snipers" are usually positioned somewhere out of sight of the hostage-taker, for that element of surprise. They are not in a face-to-face stare-down with him. If your loved one is in danger, you are probably full of adrenalin pumping and very nervous. Not a good condition for a shooter. The lighting in the room might be dark. You do not know if the bad guy has a friend hiding, waiting for you.

Most hostage response teams emphasize negotiation and stealth, rather than shoot-outs (last resort). Sometimes you are stuck in a "last resort" situation, but just make sure you have tried all other options first. You don't want to kill your loved one.

Ask your mentor friend about that scenario.

I like having a handgun and shotgun for home defense. Our master bedroom is upstairs. A night-time intruder has to come up those stairs. That puts him in a confined, undefensible position. If he sees the muzzle of a shotgun poking around the corner at him, he probably won't come any further.

In closer quarters, the handgun is better. For concealed carry, obviously smaller handguns are better.

That's why I mentioned a "snake charmer" in an earlier post for in-home, close quarters type situations for those of us with not-so-steely-nerves. A "snake charmer".....I don't know if they still manufacture them but I remember seeing them back in the mid 70's. It was made of a composite material, barrel sawed off...a single shot 410 typically used by people on horseback, hikers, etc for protection against rattlers. Ya just gotta remember, for an in-house scenario, you have just one shot. Of course, if the situation allows, one could fire the round into a wall or the ceiling and then quickly chamber another shell.......

Nope. Never will in my lifetime.

I'm very scared to be a criminal if I accidentally shoot someone with no intention of killing anyone. You know the law enforcements and courts usually don't buy it and you'll suffer waiting and waiting during the trials and then probably ended up in the jail. So, no thanks.

Our arsenal:

Attachments

• GUNS.jpg
    GUNS.jpg
    184 KB · Views: 38
Back