Votes: 4 11.8%
  • I am indifferent

Votes: 3 8.8%
  • I like horror movies

Votes: 24 70.6%
  • Other

Votes: 3 8.8%

• Total voters
I've never seen the mini series. I saw the one that directed by Stanley Kubrick. The only thing I like about it is Jack's acting and cinematography style but the storyline itself is just incredibly slow and nothing much is happening. It's not my type. The evil in 1408 is much more entertaining than The Shining IMO.

If you like aliens, you should check out "The Substitute", it's a foreign movie with a bit of comedy to it.

I've never seen the mini series. I saw the one that directed by Stanley Kubrick. The only thing I like about it is Jack's acting and cinematography style but the storyline itself is just incredibly slow and nothing much is happening. It's not my type. The evil in 1408 is much more entertaining than The Shining IMO.

If you like aliens, you should check out "The Substitute", it's a foreign movie with a bit of comedy to it.
Is it actually Vikaren?

I've seen The Shining and I agree with you, I like Jack's acting. It's the rest of the actors that seem to be "blah".

The special effects in the mini-series is what makes the movie seem more closer to the book.

There is a short documentary about the movie. It talks about how Stanley Kubrick used unusual settings when making the movie to confuse viewers.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0sUIxXCCFWw]Film psychology THE SHINING spatial awareness and set design 1of2 - YouTube[/ame]

Yes, it's Vikaren. I assume you have seen it, what do you think of it?

I don't read much and I've never read any of Stephen King's books. I heard that King didn't like the first The Shining but a lot of people said that the first movie is better than mini series.

Halloween series: Michael Myers is a human yet he's unkillable. You can never ecaspe him, even if he's walking. Great series. I also like Rob Zombie's version, but I don't really like the sequel's ending.

Hi,
One can find many supernatural in the old horror movie and in the late 1890's these movies first start with short silent films.

Thanks

I like movies that play on the mind. Psychological thrillers, like the British horror film "Exam" that was really good. And "The Shinning" and "House"...read the book long before it became a movie. That has a great twist at the end.

I'm also into to Alfred Hitchcock; have been since I was a girl. "Vertigo" "Rope" and "Dial M for Murder" are some of my favorites. And Sherlock Holmes (new, old, series or otherwise)

I like movies that play on the mind. Psychological thrillers, like the British horror film "Exam" that was really good. And "The Shinning" and "House"...read the book long before it became a movie. That has a great twist at the end.

I'm also into to Alfred Hitchcock; have been since I was a girl. "Vertigo" "Rope" and "Dial M for Murder" are some of my favorites. And Sherlock Holmes (new, old, series or otherwise)

Have you seen Frailty starring Bill Paxton? One of the best psychological thriller I've ever seen!

Only when the Devil is in the picture, I don't like those that feature dressed up Halloween characters, kinda silly. LOL When I was a kid, I remember watching The Exorcist. Obviously I had serious nightmares that night, never saw anyone in my dreams, just the feeling of something lurking behind doors and large objects while walking throughout a strange house. I feel a tingle just remembering that, but I still watch them anyway!

I also like movies about the devil, to me that's genuine horror! Jess, that sounds like one hell of a dream! I wonder if people have really encountered it in a physical sense?

I'm a huge fan of Hitch. My favorites of his are Rear Window, Rope, The Lady Vanished, and Stage Fright.

Laura

I've seen The Shining and I agree with you, I like Jack's acting. It's the rest of the actors that seem to be "blah".

The film always gets to me, largely because I don't like the threat of violence against Danny. I wouldn't be so hard on the cast. I thought everyone did a great job - Shelly Duvall really looked perfect for the part and I liked how she played it. Sactman Crothers too as Dick Hallorann, who befriends Danny early on and watches over him. For a child with limited experience, if any, Danny Loyd, who played "Danny" in the film, he really did an exceptional job. You're really not giving this child much credit, and I have to give big kudos too to the director, Stanley Kubrick.

Throughout the filming, Kubrick would not allow anyone on the set to give away that this was a horror film. He didn't want Danny to be frightened by the process of making the film because he knew the story was going to be really over the top. He have the other actors clear the set and tell him how to react and what he should be thinking about. He made sure this boy never saw the extras in blood or was on the set for any of the more difficult and unsettling scenes. Years later, when Danny Loyd grew up and he saw the film for the first time, he said he was blown away to realize it was a horror film. :D I really respect any director who looks out for children and protects them in this way. There's few in the industry that do. BTW, Danny wasn't crazy about acting so he quit the business early and became a science teacher at the college level.

I'm surprised no one has yet mentioned "Salem's Lot" with David Soul, always my favorite. Or "Nadja," "Near Dark" - other vampire films. "Silver Bullet" with Corey Haim is a favorite of mine primarily because Haim and actress Meagan Follows were so wonderful. Off the beaten path, I loved "Dead End" with the wonderful Ray Wise - might not be the greatest "acting" if you will but I thought the cast pulled it off nice and it was funny as Hell at times. Acting doesn't always need to be essential, even if the story is predictable, it can be fun. Another favorite I would buy in a heartbeat if ever released on DVD would be Melissa Sue Anderson in "Midnight Offerings."

Laura

I'm not a fan of horror, but I do like suspense and thrillers. Probably the most edgy I'd go for is something like Secret Window.

Does anyone have any idea what movie or tv show the picture is from?

C0F37E35-8E22-4E9D-B02D-B27A4BA8E278-425-000000E23A21ADCD.jpg

I'm surprised no one has yet mentioned "Salem's Lot" with David Soul, always my favorite. Or "Nadja," "Near Dark" - other vampire films. "Silver Bullet" with Corey Haim is a favorite of mine primarily because Haim and actress Meagan Follows were so wonderful. Off the beaten path, I loved "Dead End" with the wonderful Ray Wise - might not be the greatest "acting" if you will but I thought the cast pulled it off nice and it was funny as Hell at times. Acting doesn't always need to be essential, even if the story is predictable, it can be fun. Another favorite I would buy in a heartbeat if ever released on DVD would be Melissa Sue Anderson in "Midnight Offerings."

Laura

I never saw those movies except Near Dark and Dead End and both are great. In Dead End, I love the father's constant yelling, thought it was funny especially toward to his wife. One thing that I don't understand is why would they let the girl walk in the middle of the night alone while they take the woman with a baby to that cabin... Also after things that happened, why would that dude go into a forest to smoke pot and masturbate. Only two things I can think of that really boggles me. I think Near Dark is one of the best vampire movie next to Interview With the Vampire.

One thing that I don't understand is why would they let the girl walk in the middle of the night alone while they take the woman with a baby to that cabin...

You have to remember, the cabin was just down the road. The dark made it seem far but it wasn't. She got out of the car because she wanted to think and be by herself and they're wouldn't be room for the woman and her baby. I really loved that scene, it just totally freaked me out the first time I saw it. No way in Hell I'd ever do that....:D As for the son smoking pot in the woods, he made it seem like he had to take a leak so in a way that makes sense. It's unlikely the ranger's cabin had indoor facilities, much less a working phone. I loved the line when tried to call for help and didn't hear a dial tone. Wife: "What's wrong, isn't it working?" Husband: "No, Laura, I just forgot the number for 911."

I really loved Nadja and Pumpkinhead too. I wish those would come out on Netflix.

Laura

You have to remember, the cabin was just down the road. The dark made it seem far but it wasn't. She got out of the car because she wanted to think and be by herself and they're wouldn't be room for the woman and her baby. I really loved that scene, it just totally freaked me out the first time I saw it. No way in Hell I'd ever do that....:D As for the son smoking pot in the woods, he made it seem like he had to take a leak so in a way that makes sense. It's unlikely the ranger's cabin had indoor facilities, much less a working phone. I loved the line when tried to call for help and didn't hear a dial tone. Wife: "What's wrong, isn't it working?" Husband: "No, Laura, I just forgot the number for 911."

I really loved Nadja and Pumpkinhead too. I wish those would come out on Netflix.

Laura

But still, it's dangerous for anyone to be alone in the dark on an unknown road and woods. There could be wild animals for example. I wouldn't do that either, just watching her walking down the road gave me creeps.

Even if the son had to take a leak, look what happened to him. If he did took a leak, he still stayed in the woods to smoke pot and danced to music like nothing happened. After the woman disappeared, it should be obvious that she isn't as innocuous as she seemed and his lust (I suppose) is what got him killed. I think it's funny that he didn't react at all after he got his lower lip bitten off and reacted negatively after the woman took off her gown. Wondered what was that...

One part that totally freaked me out is when Mom rubbed the back of her brain and acted as if she was having an orgasm. That was really weird!

I've never heard of Nadja. I checked the trailer and it looks like it was made in 60s. Looks interesting, though. I remember seeing Pumpkinhead on Sci-Fi a long time ago and loved it, however I don't really remember the storyline except it was about revenge. I gotta check it out again soon. I'm not a Netflix customer, I don't know why I never sign up for it. I never rent from Redbox, either.

Back