Votes: 4 11.8%
  • I am indifferent

Votes: 3 8.8%
  • I like horror movies

Votes: 24 70.6%
  • Other

Votes: 3 8.8%

• Total voters
I like horror movies. There are a lot of American horror movies that I like, but there are a lot of Japanese (Asian) horror movies that I like better.

American remakes of Japanese horror movies tend to be ruined.

A couple of good examples... The Ring was a remake of Ringu and The Grudge was a remake of Ju-On.

What's the difference? A lot.

Americans tend to make their horror movies predictable. For instance, they will have light and dark scenes. Scary moments happen when it's dark or dim... not when it's light or bright. Watch The Ring and you'll notice a lot of bright daylight scenes, but when it's dark... something scary will happen. So, you only tense up when it gets to the dark scenes. With Ringu, most of the movie is dark. So, with that in mind... you're trying to remain tense. Yet, your tension will calm down... and BAM!, something scary comes shocking you big time. :)

I don't mind scary movies but it really depends on the movie. Alot of them isn't very scary these days.

Theres only one... one that haunts my mind.... Stephen Kings It.... and guess what? Their making a new one.

I like horror movies. There are a lot of American horror movies that I like, but there are a lot of Japanese (Asian) horror movies that I like better.

American remakes of Japanese horror movies tend to be ruined.

A couple of good examples... The Ring was a remake of Ringu and The Grudge was a remake of Ju-On.

What's the difference? A lot.

Americans tend to make their horror movies predictable. For instance, they will have light and dark scenes. Scary moments happen when it's dark or dim... not when it's light or bright. Watch The Ring and you'll notice a lot of bright daylight scenes, but when it's dark... something scary will happen. So, you only tense up when it gets to the dark scenes. With Ringu, most of the movie is dark. So, with that in mind... you're trying to remain tense. Yet, your tension will calm down... and BAM!, something scary comes shocking you big time. :)

I don't watch much of Japanese horror, but I do agree that American horror tend to be predictable and lacks of originality. While they're not that bad, I still enjoy them.

One of the funniest horror movie I ever seen is Shaun of the Dead. I've seen it a million times. There are two scenes that I really love! Don't read ahead if you've never seen it and plan to watch it later.

One scene: this is not the first time it happens, there are other movies that does that too. I never really notice that until recently. Anyway, before Shaun discovered that there's a girl in his backyard, he was watching t.v. and he kept changing the channels. All the dialogue from the channels can be formed into a sentence, well more of a summary of what's going on out there.

Other scene: After they pick a local bar for a safe place, there's a zombie bartender inside it. While they were struggling to kill it and to turn off the music that was playing on jukebox, two women instead of helping them were dancing along and seems to enjoy the fight. I thought that was hilarious.

It was bad in such a good way.

Lol I think it's awesome! I like that they used zombies in a different way, you know controlling them with thst thing on their neck. The worst zombie movie for me would be The Zombie Diaries, it was very very boring.

i remember scary movies 3 and damn final destination 5 , I hate horror!

Last edited:
I don't watch much of Japanese horror, but I do agree that American horror tend to be predictable and lacks of originality. While they're not that bad, I still enjoy them.
There are a lot of American movies that are actually remake of original foreign movies. Some are remade with the same name and some are remade with different name (or English translation).

I've seen both versions of:

Ringu = The Ring (Japanese)
Ju-On = The Grudge (Japanese)
Quarantine = REC (Spanish)
The Eye = The Eye (Chinese)
Point of No Return = Nikita (French)
Godzilla = Gojira (Japanese)

There are a lot of American movies I've already seen, but haven't seen the foreign movies yet.
Dark Water = Dark Water (Japanese)

In case you're wondering what American/Foreign remakes there are...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o..._with_previous_foreign-language_film_versions

I also liked The Little Girl Who Lives Down the Lane. Had Jodie Foster and Martin Sheen in it. More of a thriller, she's such a great actor.

I love any movie any movie by Alfred Hitchcock . Psycho is one of my favorite
one of his. I do not like the all blood and gut movies that all special effect and with the actors grunting out words.

The Shining rule all? Okay, you say so. Personally I think the movie = ZZZZZZZZZZ. Wrong Turn is much better than the movie that people like to call a classic. Psycho is definitely a classic, the one by alfred. I think the remake is alright.

The Shining rule all? Okay, you say so. Personally I think the movie = ZZZZZZZZZZ. Wrong Turn is much better than the movie that people like to call a classic. Psycho is definitely a classic, the one by alfred. I think the remake is alright.
Which The Shining did you see? There were two... the first with Jack Nicholson (2 hr 20 min; film) and the second with Steven Weber (4 hr 30 min; mini-series).

I've seen parts of the second version, but I've heard that it's supposedly closer to the book than the first version was.

Back