Another Update *sigh*

Because of the CTS in my hands, I can't adjust sensitivity myself. I could have someone here do it for me, but I'm afraid of having another person handle my processors, so I'd rather not if it all possible.

Everything is loud. Voices. Doors closing. People laughing (this especially bothers me). People coughing or sneezing. All of these sounds travel right through me.
That's what a CI does. You hear everything... no matter what.

Some of my friends stopped wearing CIs for this reason. They were constantly annoyed by hearing everything that went on in classrooms... pencils, pens, paper, chalkboard, walking, feet tapping, doors opening/closing, etc.

I hope everything goes better! CI definitely requires many adjustments. My eye was twitching before, especially when there was high frequency sounds. They reduced the high frequency and the eye twitching has stopped. The high frequency has slowly been increasing back to where it was, and my brain has adjusted to it.

What I don't understand though is why this is suddenly happening after having my first CI for 4 years and my second for 2. I should be well adjusted to my CIs by now.

I'm so discouraged right now and am afraid that my audi will be frustrated with me. :(
Don't feel discouraged. Remember... it's YOUR choice.

You should weigh the PROs and CONs of wearing CIs.

If the pain, dizziness, and headaches overwhelm your desire to hear... then don't wear them. If your desire to hear is stronger than the headaches that you get, then keep wearing them.

Just think about your health. Sometimes, long-term headaches and dizziness can have an impact on you later in the future.

That's a good suggestion.

I used to wear 2 hearing aids years ago when I was a kid. I was always getting headaches from my right hearing aid. Even with only a hearing aid in my right ear, I still got headaches. When I wore only one in my left ear, everything got better. So, I only wear one in my left ear. :)

Me too. Two HAs gave me some headache and dizzy. So i wore one in my left ear too. I still want to wear two HAs whenever i feel like to. HA is pretty expensive. dang

That's what a CI does. You hear everything... no matter what.

Some of my friends stopped wearing CIs for this reason. They were constantly annoyed by hearing everything that went on in classrooms... pencils, pens, paper, chalkboard, walking, feet tapping, doors opening/closing, etc.

I hate to bring mental illness into this and please don't flame me, but it's something that really does affect my CI hearing. I've been manic (feeling extremely happy, restless, etc.) due to my bipolar and whenever I feel this way, sounds always seem louder than they actually are. Again, please don't flame me for mentioning that. I'm not trying to turn this thread into a mental health discussion.

Don't feel discouraged. Remember... it's YOUR choice.

You should weigh the PROs and CONs of wearing CIs.

If the pain, dizziness, and headaches overwhelm your desire to hear... then don't wear them. If your desire to hear is stronger than the headaches that you get, then keep wearing them.

Just think about your health. Sometimes, long-term headaches and dizziness can have an impact on you later in the future.

I don't know. As of late, all I want to do is give up. I don't care anymore. :(

What I don't understand though is why this is suddenly happening after having my first CI for 4 years and my second for 2. I should be well adjusted to my CIs by now.

Yes, it is very strange. I hope the audi can fix it. Maybe it doesn't have to do with the CI itself? Just loud noises in general is making you dizzy? Maybe in the next map, you can ask the audi to create "just in case" programs, so that you can have different programs to go to instead of waiting for an appointment for ANOTHER fix?

I hate to bring mental illness into this and please don't flame me for this, but it's something that really does affect my CI hearing. I've been manic (feeling extremely happy, restless, etc.) due to my bipolar and whenever I feel this way, sounds always seem louder than they actually are. Again, please don't flame me for mentioning that. I'm not trying to turn this thread into a mental health discussion.

sometimes my dh got headache or dizzy or affects his mood from listening to some louds. He does turn his CI off in order to cool himself off. He wouldnt tell me why etc. you know how men are.

I hate to bring mental illness into this and please don't flame me, but it's something that really does affect my CI hearing. I've been manic (feeling extremely happy, restless, etc.) due to my bipolar and whenever I feel this way, sounds always seem louder than they actually are. Again, please don't flame me for mentioning that. I'm not trying to turn this thread into a mental health discussion.

How about having a program to go into a quieter mode when you feel manic? Maybe that will help?

I'm so discouraged right now and am afraid that my audi will be frustrated with me. :(

Hun, sounds like you are getting really stressed.
I felt that my Audi would get frustrated during my early stages but she reassures me that it's very important to get ANY mapping AT ANYTIME right, it doesn't work overnight. It's not easy to have mapping in sound booth and then going outside to be overwhelmed with sounds.
I do know that you have CTS which you can't adjust the programs. Your Audi should be patitence with you as she should know that you would be an unquine patient since you are blind and have problems with your wrists. I wouldnt worry about what she thinks, After all she is paid to do her job! OK

Hugs..

Then use that as your advantage.

If you're feeling depressed and you think your CI is making you more depressed, then stop wearing them. When you feel better, then wear them again.

That's one big advantage that deaf people have (those who can hear with CIs or hearing aids). They can simply turn off their hearing aids when they want to. When I was a little kid, I had one of those old hearing aids that you strap on to your chest and is wired to ear molds in my ears. Whenever I didn't want to listen to my mom, I simply looked at her straight in the eyes... turned off my hearing aids... and walked away. Sometimes, I would just turn them off if I didn't want to be bothered. That ways, I always had an excuse for not hearing her. ;)

No, I'm not encouraging you to do it cuz you want to ignore people. You have a good reason for doing so because you're getting headaches, not feeling good, etc. If you couldn't hear me and I asked why you weren't wearing your CIs, then you said that you had a headache... then I wouldn't get mad at you. I'd understand.

Even I take off my hearing aids whenever I get headaches that are easily bothered by loud sounds.

Vampy and all,

I posed the same question in my OP to a CI e-mail list and someone suggested that I have my audi create softer maps. That's a good idea because I could have 2 soft maps (one being softer than the other) and 2 regular maps with standard sensitivity levels.

How about having a program to go into a quieter mode when you feel manic? Maybe that will help?

That's a very good idea, Daredevel. Someone on a CI e-mail list I participate on suggested that as well. My audi wants to see me anyways for re-programming, so I'll mention it at that time.

society's_child,

Thanks. <hugs>

sometimes my dh got headache or dizzy or affects his mood from listening to some louds. He does turn his CI off in order to cool himself off. He wouldnt tell me why etc. you know how men are.

Yes, I do know how men are. :laugh2: I've decided to take my CIs off for the day. I'm just too frustrated right now.

Yes, it is very strange. I hope the audi can fix it. Maybe it doesn't have to do with the CI itself? Just loud noises in general is making you dizzy? Maybe in the next map, you can ask the audi to create "just in case" programs, so that you can have different programs to go to instead of waiting for an appointment for ANOTHER fix?

That's what I'm thinking about doing. I tend to have manic episodes (please don't flame me) alot as of late and it's negatively affecting my hearing. It's also making speech more difficult to understand when sounds seem louder because of distortion.

I had someone call my CI audi to inform her that I'm still overly sensitive and dizzy from some loud sounds I am hearing. I'm wondering when or if this is ever going to end.

My audi turned all of the frequencies down several notches, but some sounds are still bothering me. They cut right through me like a knife and cause me to become dizzy/lightheaded. Depending on the sound, sometimes it reverberates in my head.

That's what I'm thinking about doing. I tend to have manic episodes (please don't flame me) alot as of late and it's negatively affecting my hearing. It's also making speech more difficult to understand when sounds seem louder because of distortion.

Sorry to hear that this has been going on for you today. However I noticed that on another thread you mentioned that you are listening to music.

http://www.alldeaf.com/deaf-musicians/62256-what-song-you-listening.html#post1258098

Post #8

I have an FM radio on my BrailleNote and am listening to "Smooth Operator" by Sade.

So my question is: how can you be listening to music when you are experiencing all these issues with your CI? All of this happening today?

So my question is: how can you be listening to music when you are experiencing all these issues with your CI? All of this happening today?

I'm listening to music on my BrailleNote at a very soft volume. As long as the volume is soft, it doesn't make me dizzy. It seems that medium to loud sounds that are high pitched bother me the most. Hope this clarifies. Not to bring mental illness into the picture again, but I'm hypomanic right now (a mild form of mania) and I need something to help calm me down, so I'm listening to a soft rock station. Again, please don't flame me because I'm just trying to explain why I'm listening to the radio.

I'm listening to music on my BrailleNote at a very soft volume. As long as the volume is soft, it doesn't make me dizzy. It seems that medium to loud sounds that are high pitched bother me the most. Hope this clarifies. Not to bring mental illness into the picture again, but I'm hypomanic right now (a mild form of mania) and I need something to help calm me down, so I'm listening to a soft rock station. Again, please don't flame me because I'm just trying to explain why I'm listening to the radio.

:hug:

Back