Another Update *sigh*

Lisa, the more I read, the more I think there is an underlying cause for your dizziness that only happens to be triggered by sounds. Having your CI's for so long without trouble just makes them being the "bad guys" not ring true.
Have there been any other changes in your life? Diet? Infections? Are they dizzy spells or vertigo? I know you have had both, but I just had to ask. I think maybe you should concentrate on the whole body for answers rather than the CI and it's settings. JMHO.
:grouphug:

Maybe lowering volume would help or turn it off when the sounds annoy you? At least you aren't a hearing person and that would be REALLY annoying and there isn't really much to turn their ears off.

That's true, seq! I had someone turn down sensitivity (similar to volume except that it controls how you hear sounds that are far away) and that helped. I'm no longer dizzy nor am I struggling to understand speech since the purpose of this feature is to lower background sounds that are far away from you, but not close to you.

That's true, seq! I had someone turn down sensitivity (similar to volume except that it controls how you hear sounds that are far away) and that helped. I'm no longer dizzy nor am I struggling to understand speech since the purpose of this feature is to lower background sounds that are far away from you, but not close to you.

Ahh I see, that's a nice feature there.

Lisa, the more I read, the more I think there is an underlying cause for your dizziness that only happens to be triggered by sounds. Having your CI's for so long without trouble just makes them being the "bad guys" not ring true.
Have there been any other changes in your life? Diet? Infections? Are they dizzy spells or vertigo? I know you have had both, but I just had to ask. I think maybe you should concentrate on the whole body for answers rather than the CI and it's settings. JMHO.
:grouphug:

ET,

Not to bring mental illness into the discussion again, but I am on new meds for my bipolar. Several people on the CI e-mail list I participate on mentioned the possibility that my meds may be causing this. I really hope that's not the case because if it is, it means I need to try a different combo. My bipolar is considered "severe" due to rapid cycling (where my moods change every hour and sometimes every minute) as well as some other symptoms I experience which can be difficult to keep under control. Someone else suspected that I could have Tullio's Phenomenom, but I've never discussed this with my audi nor has she mentioned the possibility to me. When I see her at my next appointment for a new mapping, I'm going to ask her if I can talk to my CI surgeon about other causes for my dizziness because none of this makes sense.

Ahh I see, that's a nice feature there.

It is. It's nicer than having a volume control in my opinion because I don't have to worry about every sound I hear being loud. I also have another feature on my processors called autosensitivity which softens and equalizes sounds so that they aren't uncomfortably loud.

ET,

I mentioned earlier that when I'm manic due to my bipolar, sounds seem very loud. I've been manic, so this might also be the cause. I was hypomanic today, but my mood is leveling out right now. However, I don't know if my perception of sounds has changed as a result due to the fact that I had someone decrease sensitivity.

ET,

I don't experience nausea with my dizziness, so it's not vertigo. It's dizziness only which is sometimes accompanied by pain.

Perhaps, CI isn't for you?

CI doesn't work for everyone.

Hope you get better soon.

Hear Again NEEDS her CIs due to her deafblindness. They were working very well for her up until recently, so maybe there is a problem with the CI itself and not her. If it was her, she would have started having those problems right away as soon as she was implanted. But that didn't happen, so I have to guess that the internal CI piece or the BTE may be malfunctioning.

I hate to bring mental illness into this and please don't flame me, but it's something that really does affect my CI hearing. I've been manic (feeling extremely happy, restless, etc.) due to my bipolar and whenever I feel this way, sounds always seem louder than they actually are. Again, please don't flame me for mentioning that. I'm not trying to turn this thread into a mental health discussion.

That does make sense.

I had someone call my CI audi to inform her that I'm still overly sensitive and dizzy from some loud sounds I am hearing. I'm wondering when or if this is ever going to end.

I'm sorry to hear about this (hugs)

That does make sense.

Thanks for confirming that, Lucia. When I spoke to my therapist on the phone yesterday he told me that my inability to understand him was more pronounced than usual. (Note: Ever since I received new maps, I'm able to hear and understand familiar voices pretty well on the phone with my right CI.) To me, his voice sounded distorted and much louder than normal. My psychiatrist explained that it isn't uncommon for people who are manic to have the sensation that sounds are much louder than they actually are.

Hear Again NEEDS her CIs due to her deafblindness. They were working very well for her up until recently, so maybe there is a problem with the CI itself and not her. If it was her, she would have started having those problems right away as soon as she was implanted. But that didn't happen, so I have to guess that the internal CI piece or the BTE may be malfunctioning.

This is what I'm thinking as well because it doesn't make any sense that my issues with dizziness would suddenly crop up out of nowhere. I have no problems being deaf, but at the same time, I have grown to rely on my CI hearing for the past 4 years. I can't lipread like Deaf/deaf people can and must rely on other alternative communication methods for the deafblind. Furthermore, I rely on my CIs to hear environmental sounds which I use for indoor and outdoor travel (even though I am capable of traveling independently without vision or hearing). However, the point is, I have CIs that I chose to have so that I could hear and I should be able to have the expection of being able to hear the best I can with them.

Thank you, dreama! <hugs>

Please don't dispair. Sounds like you are going through a really rough patch at the moment.

Keep us posted, and I hope you find out what's going wrong.

(gives hear again an extra big hug)

Please don't dispair. Sounds like you are going through a really rough patch at the moment.

Keep us posted, and I hope you find out what's going wrong.

(gives hear again an extra big hug)

I really appreciate that, dreama. <huge hugs back> The past 2 weeks have been difficult for me in terms of my bipolar (again, please don't flame me because I'm offering an explanation) and this certainly doesn't help matters.

Back